Cricket Albury Wodonga 2010/2011

So it's been very quite on here of late??? must be like the cricket around here....What are people thoughts on last week. With only a handful of games getting played in both Prov and Dist. So the games which didnt get on will miss out on points which are very handy at this time of the season. I suppose that the round will get washout this week again!!!!! So Howlong did well and may be surpise packets this season??? New City came out firing and what I have heard the the guy from Sydney Uni is very sharp. All the best to all teams this week!!!

I'd like to give congrats to the Border Mail for doing a such a great job on the District comp season preview. Not one single mention of it in the paper, if Dederang and Belvoir get relegated at the end of this season we may as well go back to calling the comp the ABCA, the old WDCA clubs barely have any recognition as it is. So far since the merger West Wodonga has been forced to merge with Raiders and Baranduda nearly have folded while clubs have had to spend money to recruit players to their clubs to avoid relegation. After reading the Rep squad in the paper maybe its the Lavi/North Albury C.A. as 9 of their players are in the squad while Wodonga, the reigning premier has only one (Jackson). At the end of the day has the merger benefitted any our Victorian based clubs in the comp????

I'd like to give congrats to the Border Mail for doing a such a great job on the District comp season preview. Not one single mention of it in the paper, if Dederang and Belvoir get relegated at the end of this season we may as well go back to calling the comp the ABCA, the old WDCA clubs barely have any recognition as it is. So far since the merger West Wodonga has been forced to merge with Raiders and Baranduda nearly have folded while clubs have had to spend money to recruit players to their clubs to avoid relegation. After reading the Rep squad in the paper maybe its the Lavi/North Albury C.A. as 9 of their players are in the squad while Wodonga, the reigning premier has only one (Jackson). At the end of the day has the merger benefitted any our Victorian based clubs in the comp????

This time of year brings out all the rep knockers doesnt it ????
I would love to know everyones thoughts on the matter tell us who missed out and why they should be in the squad??

CAW squad: James Tonkin (c), David Farrell (vc), Liam Scammell, Brendan Klein-Boonschate, Josh Mallichan, Rhys Jones, Brendan Simmons, Greg Daniel, David Castello, Matt Armstrong, David Baude, Robbie Jackson, Heath Naughton, Braedon Hensel, Josh Warren-Marmo, Nat Sariman, Sam Hockin, Cameron White.

As far as the Lavi North Wodonga issue lets have a look.

Lavington Players Picked.

Andrew Tonkin : (captain) and an automatic selection in any rep side.
Liam Scammell : Played against our rep side last year for ...Queanbeyan (i think) opened the batting and bowling and deserves his spot.
Trent Ball: Wont play scg cup games might cameo in the 20/20 Konica games (as he should much better suited to this)
Brendan Klein Boonschate: In the top 6 bowlers in the comp.

North Albury Players Picked.

David Farrell : (Vice Captain) and an automatic selection.
Greg Daniel : Picks himself.
Brendan Simmons : In the top 10 bats the last 2 years and best feilder in the comp by a country mile.
Josh Mallichan : Impressive all rounder who has been a regular rep player since his time at Belvoir.
David Castello : Will probably only Play 20/20
Rhys Jones : Proven himself as regular representative contributor over a long period of time.

Wodongas list from last weeks game.

Robbie Jackson : Automatic selection in the rep side cant agrue that.
Ian Roberts : I would have him in in place of sariman good bat great keeper.
Sean Lappin : good bat but better bats in the squad.

Would any of the next 4 come in if so who for and why ???

Dylan Beattie
Keiran Schulz
Andrew Berg
BJ Garvey

Bowlers who would you take out for these guys , who for and why??

Leigh Collins
Byron Hales
Leo Mcghee
Tom Brown

so RUNOUT tell me who you would have in and who you would take out and why ....and more importantly would they actually play?

At the end of the day has the merger benefitted any our Victorian based clubs in the comp????

As a general rule, I'm not sure what the merger has done for any clubs - let alone the Victorian ones. But, I reckon if you asked Yack what they enjoyed out of playing provincial last year, they'd be pretty happy with the outright win against Tallangatta.

The biggest problem with the merger is the lack of committment from guys to clubs once they win the district comp. Most of them have no intention of playing provincial (and that's their right) so leave the club once it is promoted. It happened to Dederang and Yack. This can rip the guts out of a cricket club quicker than you can say boo. It's flag hunting with a bunch of mates, and it will happen again. Kudos to New City for wanting to be promoted, and taking it on.

I remember reading a quote from one of the district sides upon promotion a couple of years ago, basically complaining about being promoted, stating that it would ruin their kids to face bowlers like Steve Wood. I was stunned. Surely playing against the best is beneficial in SOME way???

Pardon my ignorance, but if the best side in District A's played to its best ability on the day, how many teams in Provincial could they beat who also played to their best ability on the day?

None of the top 4. Maybe 2.
Only asking because if teams are going up and down each year, you need to be competitive when going up, and I am not sure how some of the district teams could attract players from 'in town' without offering money. That would mean that the best district team may never be competitive when going up, and after a season or two, will be forced to drop down again......this may just be a continuing cycle for years.

Can you say English Premier League? That is the main flaw with any promotion/relegation system. Especially in a regional centre.

This time of year brings out all the rep knockers doesnt it ????
I would love to know everyones thoughts on the matter tell us who missed out and why they should be in the squad??

CAW squad: James Tonkin (c), David Farrell (vc), Liam Scammell, Brendan Klein-Boonschate, Josh Mallichan, Rhys Jones, Brendan Simmons, Greg Daniel, David Castello, Matt Armstrong, David Baude, Robbie Jackson, Heath Naughton, Braedon Hensel, Josh Warren-Marmo, Nat Sariman, Sam Hockin, Cameron White.

As far as the Lavi North Wodonga issue lets have a look.

Lavington Players Picked.

Andrew Tonkin : (captain) and an automatic selection in any rep side.
Liam Scammell : Played against our rep side last year for ...Queanbeyan (i think) opened the batting and bowling and deserves his spot.
Trent Ball: Wont play scg cup games might cameo in the 20/20 Konica games (as he should much better suited to this)
Brendan Klein Boonschate: In the top 6 bowlers in the comp.

North Albury Players Picked.

David Farrell : (Vice Captain) and an automatic selection.
Greg Daniel : Picks himself.
Brendan Simmons : In the top 10 bats the last 2 years and best feilder in the comp by a country mile.
Josh Mallichan : Impressive all rounder who has been a regular rep player since his time at Belvoir.
David Castello : Will probably only Play 20/20
Rhys Jones : Proven himself as regular representative contributor over a long period of time.

Wodongas list from last weeks game.

Robbie Jackson : Automatic selection in the rep side cant agrue that.
Ian Roberts : I would have him in in place of sariman good bat great keeper.
Sean Lappin : good bat but better bats in the squad.

Would any of the next 4 come in if so who for and why ???

Dylan Beattie
Keiran Schulz
Andrew Berg
BJ Garvey

Bowlers who would you take out for these guys , who for and why??

Leigh Collins
Byron Hales
Leo Mcghee
Tom Brown

so RUNOUT tell me who you would have in and who you would take out and why ....and more importantly would they actually play?

You cannot be serious Leigh collins b grade player at best and still would get spanked everywhere, byron hales hasnt held a a grade spot anywhere the last 3 years, who is leo mcghee?? and i dont thinkk browny is up for rep cricket and when have any of them batters made consistant a grade runs keiran schulz is shit, beattie hasnt made runs in a grade, bj garvey has played one a grade game. ian roberts has many flaws technically keeping and batting not up to a rep level. and robbie jackson should take his hat off when he bowls.

With the loss to Murray Valley today does that mean that all we are left in now is the Konica T20 comp.

i hear that there has been many grumbles about the fact that the rep stuff is run by lavi. grant and trent ball and tonk, recipe for lavi to be predominantly featured in the team. but it was only really the lavi boys to stand up and have a go. dont think the squad for the rep stuff is the best players in the comp, definately seems like its just who tonk and bally the most.
Just throwing a few names around of who else could be in the squad,
Steve wood, andrew lade, rohan pearce, hayden roberts, dylan beattie, keiran schultz, andrew creamer, arendachikas brothers, theres a few more names but thats a start just to chat about. any thoughts

any thoughts about a young bolter from each team to stand up this year, braedon hensel, cam white, rohan pearce, ben fulford, sam oconner, vince moran/max nicholson, connor kilpatrick. any others?

i hear that there has been many grumbles about the fact that the rep stuff is run by lavi. grant and trent ball and tonk, recipe for lavi to be predominantly featured in the team. but it was only really the lavi boys to stand up and have a go. dont think the squad for the rep stuff is the best players in the comp, definately seems like its just who tonk and bally the most.
Just throwing a few names around of who else could be in the squad,
Steve wood, andrew lade, rohan pearce, hayden roberts, dylan beattie, keiran schultz, andrew creamer, arendachikas brothers, theres a few more names but thats a start just to chat about. any thoughts

any thoughts about a young bolter from each team to stand up this year, braedon hensel, cam white, rohan pearce, ben fulford, sam oconner, vince moran/max nicholson, connor kilpatrick. any others?

Are you serious??

Wood and Lade and Arendacikas - Unavailable and i think you will find Trent and Tonky would take them all in the blink of an eye.

Roberts and Pearce - Pearce is good but not at this level yet and Roberts is like a lawn sprinkler no way should they be in in place of Hockin, Scammell, Mallichan and Whitey.

Beatie and Schulz - Both probably suffer from the same problem picture perfect techniques and all the flashy stuff...have they ever made a run in senior cricket ?

Creamer - From what i hear the best spinner in the comp i cant really comment havent seen him in action but with Jackson Daniel and Tonkin all in for their batting and who all bowl great spin would u really take a fourth spinner who (correct me if im wrong because im not sure) cant bat?

Are you serious??

Wood and Lade and Arendacikas - Unavailable and i think you will find Trent and Tonky would take them all in the blink of an eye.

Roberts and Pearce - Pearce is good but not at this level yet and Roberts is like a lawn sprinkler no way should they be in in place of Hockin, Scammell, Mallichan and Whitey.

Beatie and Schulz - Both probably suffer from the same problem picture perfect techniques and all the flashy stuff...have they ever made a run in senior cricket ?

Creamer - From what i hear the best spinner in the comp i cant really comment havent seen him in action but with Jackson Daniel and Tonkin all in for their batting and who all bowl great spin would u really take a fourth spinner who (correct me if im wrong because im not sure) cant bat?

no, fair point gg, my point is that the team is predominately made up of lavi and north. and with everyone whinging about the big difference in the level of the top and bottom sides, i thought they could have at least picked a few of these blokes in the squad at least, not only to have a fair spread of the best players but giving these blokes in the weaker sides, some experience with the best players in the comp, even if it is just training with them.
i wasnt expecting all these blokes to get in, but surely a rohan pearce or creamer could benefit from training with the best?

Are you serious??

Creamer is actually an opening bat,maybe the association would be better off havn Tonks and Jackson just concentrate on makin runs in rep cricket and let some1 else worry bout doin the bowling

Creamer is actually an opening bat,maybe the association would be better off havn Tonks and Jackson just concentrate on makin runs in rep cricket and let some1 else worry bout doin the bowling

i think u will find that north and lavi dominate the rep teams because that is where the best players play with the exception of steve wood bobby jackson and heath naughton and im sure tball will have no dramas with ppl that are capable of steping up to the next level trainin with the squad

no, fair point gg, my point is that the team is predominately made up of lavi and north. and with everyone whinging about the big difference in the level of the top and bottom sides, i thought they could have at least picked a few of these blokes in the squad at least, not only to have a fair spread of the best players but giving these blokes in the weaker sides, some experience with the best players in the comp, even if it is just training with them.
i wasnt expecting all these blokes to get in, but surely a rohan pearce or creamer could benefit from training with the best?

Could not agree with you more S & F might be time to look at picking a squad of 30 and getting some kids in training with the big guns as you say would do them the world of good i reckon.

There could possibly be another positive out of that ,the guys that are picking the sides are accused of picking the same old faces, could this be because they KNOW these old faces from playing many games with or against them???
The guys picking the teams might only playing against these up and coming kids once a year and if they have a bad game that day might not get considered a bigger squad with say 4 or 5 trainings might really expose some hidden talents???

Well looking at all the talk on REP cricket and should be playing and who shouldn't be playing.Rep cricket is just like club cricket.Who can only pick who wants to play.There are plenty of guys who play below their grade in club cricket and the same could be said about REP these days.The thing I have noticed with REP cricket is the amount of travel We play plenty of club cricket( except when it rains ) and guys don't have the time these days with work and families etc. In the end it comes down to the player. I do agree with the training squad idea but yet again guys whouldn't turn up because they train twice aweek already. All we can hope for is that some cricket gets played this weekend.

How did everyone go yesterday? I see lavi would have pounded north even though north had made a huge total, if it hadnt been rain affected. st pats have smashed albury, they may be a top side this year but hard to gauge how they are goig when playing against albury. wodonga will still be up there but will be carried by jackson.

im tipping belvoir to have a good year this year against the odds. MacLennan looks in fine form bat and ball. Dineenn is back playing and spiteri got runs again last week. Lets not forget the talents of Sariman,Pearce,Cook also in the same team. So look out for the eagles this year.

Naughto havn a knee op,not sure what it is but apparently went in 2day.
Any1 shed ne light?
Naughton went in for an Arthroscope after damaging his knee a few weeks back... should be right in January some time.
Also Jerim Hayes broke his finger on the weekend.

Any tips on the weather this weekend chaps? Will we actually see another game become complete??

im tipping belvoir to have a good year this year against the odds. MacLennan looks in fine form bat and ball. Dineenn is back playing and spiteri got runs again last week. Lets not forget the talents of Sariman,Pearce,Cook also in the same team. So look out for the eagles this year.

Well you weren't far off the mark there Bluey....but you forgot one main run scorer at belvoir and that was your skipper.He lead the way aand hopefully he has a great year.

Looks like the rain will stuff cricket again this weekend. For those teams who have won in the first week again some easy points coming there way.

Well another weekend with no cricket to be played.
Publicans must be the only people enjoyin it.
Im hearing a whisper of no relegation this yr because of all the rain,whats everyones thoughts on this?
Also hearing that all games after xmas may be 1 day games just so we can get a few results??

Back