Cricket Albury/Wodonga (CAW) 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cricket Albury/Wodonga (CAW) 09/10

Its Honestly Middo;367518 said:
R u Talkin bout the Sommers balls Patty?

how do they compare to the platypus and kookaburra balls that CAW have used previously? Swing? Durable? cost effective? worth the change?

been using them at training and they dont do much but good to hit shit season ahead for the red nuts i think

well i hope they are a little better than what CAW have used the past couple of years. I was told by some people they are very much like Duke balls used in Engalnd dont know if thats true, interested to see em.

The sommers balls are absolute shit, and the only reason were using them is because Dave costello has done some smooth mooving to set up a deal between CAW and sommers for his own benifit, so god knows how much he got off sommers as a "spotters" fee so to speak!!! Good stuff there Abu Dabi :)

The Big Dog;367869 said:
The sommers balls are absolute shit, and the only reason were using them is because Dave costello has done some smooth mooving to set up a deal between CAW and sommers for his own benifit, so god knows how much he got off sommers as a "spotters" fee so to speak!!! Good stuff there Abu Dabi :)
Heard the same thing the other day (where there's smoke there's fire), a nice little commission to be made with a hundred senior and junior teams running around with those balls every weekend.

If u guys honestly think the only reason We r using these balls is because of that you are very naive or very stupid, you happened to leave out the part where the association saves about $20000 or $30000. The other reason behind this Is that kookaburra (obviously a better ball than platypus) had us over a barrell for years charging $60 to $65 dollars a ball so we swapped to platypus and what happened ???? Everyone jumped up and down and cried like little sooks and all the same questions flew around about who was getting kickbacks and the like and now here we are a few years on in exactly the same situation but this time the difference is these balls shit on platas for 3 basic
Reasons.
1 They have a seam that u don't need a magnifiying glass To see.
2 they actually swing
3 they stay hard for a long time

I'm not yet willing to say they are up there with kookas cos I haven't seen enough of them yet but they do shit on the platas so doesn't this make it a step in a positive direction?? At the end of the day all the shit aside that goes on behind the scenes I believe we have a better ball than last year and isn't this what we want???

RumPig;366251 said:
I've heard that C Grade will be split into C and D Grade, which in theory should even things out a bit. (Top half remain C, bottom half become D).
C Grade is filled with guys who play there for a wide variety of reasons. CAW doesn't need to step in and legislate against this, they only need to set up the structure then its up to the clubs on how they fill these sides and who with.

aaa

The Big Dog;367869 said:

If you call yourself big dog you must be from wodonga, and you are a bowler what you cant get enough help just by bowling on the "Cheese" you want the ball to swing and cut as well.
It shits allover the platypuss, so were no worse off.
from what ive heard castello just gave the board another option apart from platas and kookas, dont even think he had a vote! and i know he didnt get any commision, he couldhave but didnt want people saying he had other motives and have people talking and sumisng behind his back. Maybe he should have because its happening anyway. damned if you do and damned if you dont.

The deal has been done with the all the Murray Cricket Council as well. I've heard that Sommers would like to get 1 out of 3 balls back too for testing purposes so where does that leave balls for training. Most clubs around only have old worn out balls for training anyway but it looks like even less going back into the training bucket.

The Reverse Sweeper;367933 said:
The deal has been done with the all the Murray Cricket Council as well. I've heard that Sommers would like to get 1 out of 3 balls back too for testing purposes so where does that leave balls for training. Most clubs around only have old worn out balls for training anyway but it looks like even less going back into the training bucket.

From what I have heard the balls that are given back will be replaced by the CAW. I also heard that Cricket Australia will be watching this season aswell to get feedback on the sommers balls.

Patty are the balls your using the sommers match balls or a cheaper version?

I say lets just wait and see what they are like in a game situation and see how they hold up before worrying too much. I know the savings that my club has made on these balls will be huge and even if they are only on par with the platys we are better off than we were last season.

Sorry to dissapoint but I'm not from wodonga!! Yes I'm a bowler but the name is to throw off the odd person which is effective!! :) the thing about the deal is it's only for two years I think, then after that all cricket Australia will then take over with the "ball" issue.. So it's back to the kooka like it should be!! I've grown up with the kooka and it is an absolute gem.. But in saying that a balls a ball, who gives a rats! Let's just play cricket!!!

Big Dog - u don't know sh*t from shoe polish ! The deal is for one year (as per advice from Cricket Australia). Castello doesn't get commission or any kick back, it is a saving to the Clubs (so they can pay you more & you can afford your spray on tan and tips in the hair) and it provides competition for Kooka & Platapus who have been bending everyone over with ridiculous prices for years.

So at the end of the season bitch and moan - don't worry about the balls, they are red and round - might be better to concentrate of getting a decent pitch over there

Well said KML....as a bowler I don't care if I am using a round piece of alfoil, the simple principle of bowling remains the same....aim to hit the top of off stump with a little bit of variance and bowl to your field....and it won't matter what brand of ball you use!

KML;368064 said:
Big Dog - u don't know sh*t from shoe polish ! The deal is for one year (as per advice from Cricket Australia). Castello doesn't get commission or any kick back, it is a saving to the Clubs (so they can pay you more & you can afford your spray on tan and tips in the hair) and it provides competition for Kooka & Platapus who have been bending everyone over with ridiculous prices for years.

So at the end of the season bitch and moan - don't worry about the balls, they are red and round - might be better to concentrate of getting a decent pitch over there

Yikes!!!! Im guessing someone struck a nerve!!!

As for this ball bruhaha, there must be a reason, 1 way or another, why CAW chose the sommer balls. I guess the first test will be the 20/20 matches, however I hope if the balls are not up to scratch, CAW will see reason and return to last years balls.

Either way, the season is now fast approaching!! Bring it on!!

I have been reading with some interest about the ball issue and I do not know anything about this new ball where it is made, cost difference etc. I don't know if there is a conflict of interests regarding a board member and kick backs etc but in the end not only has everthing got to be be above board but, "It must appear to be above board" and I think this is why people react in the way they have.

The Seamer;367963 said:
From what I have heard the balls that are given back will be replaced by the CAW. I also heard that Cricket Australia will be watching this season aswell to get feedback on the sommers balls.

Patty are the balls your using the sommers match balls or a cheaper version?

I say lets just wait and see what they are like in a game situation and see how they hold up before worrying too much. I know the savings that my club has made on these balls will be huge and even if they are only on par with the platys we are better off than we were last season.

well,well,well, hasnt the whole ball thing opened up a can of worms. all sounds just like what the CAW board expected!! i know a few of them pretty well and know just how much go's into making dicisions like this, firstly we as clubs elect them to do all the work for us then we pretty much bag everything they do??? lucky they have thick skins.
talking with abbs on all of this over the last few months, and its pretty clear he and erdel made a sh**load of phone calls, had meetings with the highest post in australian cricket admin (the CEO of CA), obtained advice from, Jason Gillespie, Greg Chappell,Peter Sleep and a few others that have tested these balls and all said they were good. (but lets face it who are those blokes to tell us "superstars" here in the big smoke what a ball is like). unless they are filed with dynamite, who god dam cares, they as lyndsy sais are round and red with a seam!!! they do according to abbsy have a property that helps retain hardness and shape, well and good if that is the case!! i do know however that the board were keen to save the $40,000 for our clubs.
the word from kooka and plata is that they dont support the adoption of an Austrailian standard for cricket balls because they are worried that CA will put in very stringent rules as to how a ball can be made, they worrie it will be as strict as the Major League baseball regulations, yet you can buy a MLB stamped baseball for less than $15.00. If i had a 95% monopoly of about 700,000 balls austrailia wide at around $68 each i'd be bagging out any oposition too.
i say good on the board for having the "balls" to make the change, lets face it we will only keep bagging the s**t out of them if it doesnt work!!
Good luck smashing them around PATTY i've always considered you a more "measured" batsman, hope the council do a good job on that deck at Lavi for ya.
anyhow, predictions for the year for what its worth.
Tallangatta and ST. pats hard to split for me as most likely prems.
North will be around the mark(again), wodonga to drop away a bit, big improvement from Belvoir, Lavi around the middle,the rest to pretty much make up the numbers.

RUNOUT;368468 said:
Anyone's thoughts on current players being on the CAW board?:confused:

If they are representing all clubs and not just themselves I dont have a problem. What is your thought RUNOUT?

I think there is only one player on the board at the moment and I am happy that their is a player representing other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back