Eca 2012/13

The gatehouse defection is only a small part of the problems that were at GI. Lots of the young blokes had issues with Armstrong... Apparently all sorted now. I think they will be there or there about, still a 3 tier succession plan for captains is fraught with danger. By all reports they have promised captaincy to McDermott and Jamieson, two players that would hurt to lose...

The gatehouse defection is only a small part of the problems that were at GI. Lots of the young blokes had issues with Armstrong... Apparently all sorted now. I think they will be there or there about, still a 3 tier succession plan for captains is fraught with danger. By all reports they have promised captaincy to McDermott and Jamieson, two players that would hurt to lose...
If you have to promise young kids the captaincy to keep them at your club, you're going about things the wrong way.

What happened to the good ol' days when you played for a club because you wanted to be part of it, enjoyed the blokes you played with and you didn't need a promise in the future to keep you there.

On a side note, completely unrelated to this topic, there are too many young kids out there under the ages of 25 chasing coin thinking it is the best thing for them because they have some talent.

Are McDermott & Jamieson both juniors from Glen Iris?

Finally back to a desk job.. So here's my prediction.

Top 4
Deepdeene
GI
STK
Hawth

Relegation: Marc & SH

Has big dino left the bears to play with mates elsewhere? Heard a whisper on this.

Madmax, must say i have heard similar things on GI. Recently saw one of the Gatehouses on the frothies and he confirmed he has left and may not be the only one from GI turf teams to leave?? Also heard a few from the 1s of last year (bowlers) are not playing either.

Does anyone know if the pom from MA is back for another season?[/quot

Big Dino Took the Big Cash on offer at Noble Park!

A guy at our training last night was talking about o/s players coming and he said MA have got Lillee and another guy coming from England, so I would say yes. I've heard Deepdene and Mully have got an o/s, can anyone confirm that?

With lots of water on the grounds but little rain predicted for this week, how confident are we of getting the season off without a hitch this Saturday?

Boronia apparently have a signed a seriously good player from England! Could end up being one of the best to come out!
Please. This gets said every year. Every club has the "best" pom.

I hope this pom doesn't mind travelling 20+ kms each week to play. Won't see much of Melbourne either.

If you have to promise young kids the captaincy to keep them at your club, you're going about things the wrong way.

What happened to the good ol' days when you played for a club because you wanted to be part of it, enjoyed the blokes you played with and you didn't need a promise in the future to keep you there.

On a side note, completely unrelated to this topic, there are too many young kids out there under the ages of 25 chasing coin thinking it is the best thing for them because they have some talent.

Are McDermott & Jamieson both juniors from Glen Iris?

Agreed. Totally wrong way to go about things! What I don't get is, it is not like we are talking about captaincy of the country or the state. Is a promise of captaincy of the GI cricket club or any ECA club really that much of a prestigous thing, especially for a young kid? This is a good standard competition, but we are all still amatuer park cricketers at heart who just like playing cricket with our mates.

Please. This gets said every year. Every club has the "best" pom.

I hope this pom doesn't mind travelling 20+ kms each week to play. Won't see much of Melbourne either.

These "poms" are hit and miss. There is always so much talk about them and how good they are going to be. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it fails horribly. I think they actually ruin the competition and can damage the culture of a club if they become too obsessed with o/s players. How about clubs go back to trying to build and recruit young LOCAL players who end up being part of the fabric of a club for decades, rather than bringing in mercenaries who really couldn't give two hoots about the club.

These "poms" are hit and miss. There is always so much talk about them and how good they are going to be. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it fails horribly. I think they actually ruin the competition and can damage the culture of a club if they become too obsessed with o/s players. How about clubs go back to trying to build and recruit young LOCAL players who end up being part of the fabric of a club for decades, rather than bringing in mercenaries who really couldn't give two hoots about the club.

I have to disagree with you here, I believe the overseas recruits are good for the comp. Depending on who a certain club has picked up. Some of these overseas players have played a high standard (first class experience/playing county cricket) and to get the best out of yourself you need to play the best because watching these guys play you can only take a little thing about how they go about their cricket and what they do really well and they take it into their own game and they improve immensely. Those 1% things go a long way. Also no matter how young or old you are you can still improve your cricket.

We have all had good overseas players and some who are ok but generally they are good players and they improve the club, from helping youngsters at training to taking one of the junior teams. Also if you get a very good one they will go about training and take it from a amateur level to something similar to what county teams do.

I have to disagree with you here, I believe the overseas recruits are good for the comp. Depending on who a certain club has picked up. Some of these overseas players have played a high standard (first class experience/playing county cricket) and to get the best out of yourself you need to play the best because watching these guys play you can only take a little thing about how they go about their cricket and what they do really well and they take it into their own game and they improve immensely. Those 1% things go a long way. Also no matter how young or old you are you can still improve your cricket.

We have all had good overseas players and some who are ok but generally they are good players and they improve the club, from helping youngsters at training to taking one of the junior teams. Also if you get a very good one they will go about training and take it from a amateur level to something similar to what county teams do.

All your points are really valid and I may have exaggerated a little. I can see how they do add to the comp, however I think we can sometimes go a little over-board with how good they are and how important they are to a teams success in this competition. I think these players sometimes can be a little self-absorbed and worry more about their own coin rather than the team. Developing a culture of paying o/s players who rotate in and out of the club each year can sometimes become toxic and teams can become too reliate on who their next "star" import is while possibly ignoring the talent pool that may be right in front of them.

They are probably good for the comp overall, I was just trying to offer an alternative point of view.

All your points are really valid and I may have exaggerated a little. I can see how they do add to the comp, however I think we can sometimes go a little over-board with how good they are and how important they are to a teams success in this competition. I think these players sometimes can be a little self-absorbed and worry more about their own coin rather than the team. Developing a culture of paying o/s players who rotate in and out of the club each year can sometimes become toxic and teams can become too reliate on who their next "star" import is while possibly ignoring the talent pool that may be right in front of them.

They are probably good for the comp overall, I was just trying to offer an alternative point of view.

This only happens to a small % of clubs who have had the selfish overseas who is all about themselves. The overseas can bring a different perspective of how to go about playing cricket and it can be a good thing. I believe that clubs who get an overseas are looking for different things. One may be for helping a promoted club stay up, winning a premiership we all know if you get an absolute gun player they can be the difference to winning a flag and they develop the talent and turn them into better players in the process

I know I am going off topic but for example, look what parsons has done for Deepdene. He wasn't a junior player there he came from Northcote and developed a culture on how to go about cricket and they won it all last year. I know he not an overseas player but he came from the outside took a team who were under performing and took them to a flag. If you get that overseas player who does that and the culture of that club can take everything on board and put it into good use in the future.

Agree with you HBF.

If you get a good o/s they are priceless both on and off the field. But there are a lot more "gone wrong" stories out there from my experience.

In saying that, almost all clubs have an o/s each year and are willing to put up with a little bit of sh*t in return for on-field results, providing they do produce results and not end up in the 3rds mid year.

Don't know too many clubs who are 'obsessed' with o/s players. I think they add heaps to the comp and by recent results, I think that is supported. It's nice to have them, but the ECA is also a feeder comp for higher comps, so as good as your junior programs are, they serve only to help others until they finish at a higher level. If your junior program is producing players only good enough to play ECA, then it's not really a strong junior program, is it? Our club has been lucky enough to produce some players who went to higher standards and we think we're stronger for it.

Heard early Sunday morning, I don't think he knew he was telling me this, but an influential player in A Turf has walked out on his club...

OK with fixtures up (finally), what does everyone think?
SH v Bor
Marc v GI
Skevs v Haw
Deep v MA
East Don v Ashy
Mul v NB

Sure that GI, Ashy and Mulg will win, Deep should win. Skevvies Haw game awesome, Bor should win?

SH v Bor
Marc v GI
Skevs v Haw
Deep v MA
East Don v Ashy
Mul v NB

Sure that GI, Ashy and Mulg will win, Deep should win. Skevvies Haw game awesome, Bor should win?

Round 1 often has upsets. I'm going for all the home teams. I'll either be a few in front or a few behind after R1.

SH, Marc, Skevs, Deep, East Don & Mul.

SH v Bor
Marc v GI
Skevs v Haw
Deep v MA
East Don v Ashy
Mul v NB

Round 1 often has upsets. I'm going for all the home teams. I'll either be a few in front or a few behind after R1.

SH v Bor
Marc v GI
Skevs v Haw
Deep v MA
East Don v Ashy
Mul v NB

SH v Bor
Marc v GI
Skevs v Haw
Deep v MA
East Don v Ashy
Mul v NB

Back