Money Shield 2013/2014

Yes, but that would also depend on Mernda upsetting Lower Eltham which I doubt will happen.
Really , only Mernda or Plenty will get relegated.

Cant have two club teams in the one grade. If NEW get relegated from Barclay Shield, then their Money Shield team gets relegated back to B grade, and then the DVCA then decide if the team that finishes last ALSO get relegated (as in two go down, two come up) and the two Grand Final teams get promoted. Or if the bottom team gets saved and just the Premiership winning team goes up. But that is a DVCA decision.

Cant have two club teams in the one grade. If NEW get relegated from Barclay Shield, then their Money Shield team gets relegated back to B grade, and then the DVCA then decide if the team that finishes last ALSO get relegated (as in two go down, two come up) and the two Grand Final teams get promoted. Or if the bottom team gets saved and just the Premiership winning team goes up. But that is a DVCA decision.

I think its time we had 2 up 2 down in all grades (or if you want to get radical, 4 up 4 down). The present system allows week teams to hang on year after year, and strong clubs to miss out on going up because they choke in a semi or grand final. More teams going up and down would speed up the process of reorganising the stronger and weaker teams.

I think its time we had 2 up 2 down in all grades (or if you want to get radical, 4 up 4 down). The present system allows week teams to hang on year after year, and strong clubs to miss out on going up because they choke in a semi or grand final. More teams going up and down would speed up the process of reorganising the stronger and weaker teams.

100% disagree.

Look at it this way, if there were a higher grade above Barclay Shield, based on your theory Plenty would have gone up a grade after being in the GF last year. Yet 12 months later, they are fighting off relegation. Just because a club was strong or weak last year, does not mean they will be the same the following year. It also rewards clubs who continually choke in finals. If you want to go up, win the grand final. If you can't even win the grand final, you don't deserve to go up.

I'll throw my 2 cents in. Cunningham is one of the champions of the DVCA, up their with your Minneys, Bakers, Hubbers et al.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Don't worry about his two ducks on the trot or 2/132 from his last three trundles. I'm expecting Dyl to come out this game and whistle a few past the Lower Plenty batsmen's heads taking 7 fa not many, and probably smash a quick 50 batting from 7-9.

I'm looking forward to the Cunningham v (his old mentor) Kelsey match up. Two genuine all rounders going hell for leather.
Kelsey top scorer 43 and 1/7, Cunningham 3 and 1/29. I reckon Ray might have just shown Cyclone how to get the job done. What do you think Full Toss?

100% disagree.

Look at it this way, if there were a higher grade above Barclay Shield, based on your theory Plenty would have gone up a grade after being in the GF last year. Yet 12 months later, they are fighting off relegation. Just because a club was strong or weak last year, does not mean they will be the same the following year. It also rewards clubs who continually choke in finals. If you want to go up, win the grand final. If you can't even win the grand final, you don't deserve to go up.
Totally agree Tongs, it happens every year just look at Mont played finals last year relegation battle this year.

100% disagree.

I floated the 2 up/2 down idea on this forum the other week. 1 up 1 down rewards clubs who continually battle to finish second last.
Plenty as an example is not typical. So I don't think it should be used to prove your point, and if they did "go up" they'd be back the next year. The last couple of years probably show that there isn't a huge difference between the bottom half of Barclay and the top half of Money. Making relegation promotion more fluid would probably strengthen Barclay and force sides sitting 8-10 to think more about their lists and development/recruitment.

I know this has been said already this year but I also think something needs to be done about the ones sides in B-grade. It's a backwards step for the competition. Take Rosanna's 2s, who are 6th, but the second best 2s side in the comp. Where's the reward for that? Not everyone is going to be 'good enough' to play for their clubs' ones, but they should be able to find a level where they can compete, potentially play finals and win. Realistically, 2s sides can't compete with other clubs 1s who but for a boil over, will keep winning the flags in B-grade. Diamond creek will have to beat 2 first xi's in consecutive games to win the flag.

Totally agree Tongs, it happens every year just look at Mont played finals last year relegation battle this year.
But Mont wouldn't have gone up under the 2 up/2 down. They made it into 4th on percentage and lost the first final. Greensborough and Rosanna would have gone up for Epping and Camrae

Congratulations to the Bundoora United boys on the win, very well led this year with a good group of players.

Well done to Research on their efforts again, and by all reports a well hosted event.

Congratulations to the Bundoora United boys on the win, very well led this year with a good group of players.
Well done to Research on their efforts again, and by all reports a well hosted event.

Thanks, was a great win, to knock off a Barclay club was also a notch in our caps. Some nice things happening down at the Kennel.

Was a fantastic crowd, and full credit to the Research lads with a huge amount of food on offer and the canteen doing a roaring trade.

Thanks, was a great win, to knock off a Barclay club was also a notch in our caps. Some nice things happening down at the Kennel.

Was a fantastic crowd, and full credit to the Research lads with a huge amount of food on offer and the canteen doing a roaring trade.
Well done to the Bun Utd boys. Well deserved and a good bunch of blokes, hopefully can carry it forward into the finals and have a successful campaign. Also thanks to the young bloke that returned the match ball that landed in his front yard. Provided it didn't have assistance from the trampoline in the backyard, I'm tipping a 90 metre hit from the Bun Utd striker:)

BTW, what did people think of the new ball...again? Although I only actually touched it once in the field, they're back to a dark colour (good thing it didn't come flying at my head) and I think it still doesn't stand up to punishment nor shine up like the Kookaburra.

BTW, what did people think of the new ball...again? Although I only actually touched it once in the field, they're back to a dark colour (good thing it didn't come flying at my head) and I think it still doesn't stand up to punishment nor shine up like the Kookaburra.

In my game on the weekend both sides used the new balls, ours was normal shade or red, but not as bright as the kookaburra, whereas the oppositions was probably the darkest cricket ball I have ever seen. Our ball also started splitting open after about 15 overs.

Ours was closer to black than Red. Split in the first innings after about 30 overs. Sooner we get the Kookaburra back the better.

its fair for both teams so who gives two flying ******** about the balls. Il play a game with a rock if that's all we had. Been sooking all year about these balls

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing with a rock would be fair for both teams too. Doesn't mean it is adequate though. I've not heard one person who was actually happy with the Platypus ball nor who think it is better than the Kookaburra. I don't know if the final decision will go to a vote of the teams or not, but if it does and I was a betting man, well I know where my money would be.

Back