Off spin

Re: Off spin

If anyone is interested in my progress with regards the doosra, it is as follows.

I bowled just over half a dozen attempted doosra's towards the back end of my net session last Sat. I'm happy to report back that the ball was actually moving from leg to off. I'm unhappy to report back that out of those 8 or so balls, only 1 landed anywhere near where it should, 1 even hitting the side net!! Also there is a significant change in action. But the key was, I've got the distance.

I aim to work tirelessly to be able to use it at some point next season, the earlier the better.

Though witnessing a few attempts at the doosra ("the other one") in youth cricket, I have yet to see one that was not a throw ;)

Top spin is not easy and the doosra is not so understood in Club cricket in this country. As Simbazz says; practice, practice, practice but do be careful that this practice does not have a negative impact on your stock ball !

Well done, it looks like you are moving in the right direction.

Yeah, my arm for my stock ball is now higher.

And with regards throwing it, people seem to think I'm throwing it, but could 'get away with it'....If you get me. ;)

When you use the doosra in your game, be confident!

You should have no problem in your county matches but you may need to stand up to, or ignore, the 'mouths' in club matches.

The problem is, you do not need to be a qualified umpire for most club matches at your level and if the umpire does not understand what you are doing it could go either way:

If they are unsure of what you are doing and unsure of themselves, they will probably let it go; afraid of making a fool of themselves;

If they are unsure of what you are doing but are arrogant, they will give you no ball... because they can :)

This should be under the 'Umpire...' thread! :laugh:

Last season, whilst watching an u15 league match, the home team's umpire gave an LBW. All the away parents were moaning... "Our umpire would never give an LBW, it's unfair!" 15 minutes later the home umpire gave another LBW. "That was never an LBW; they're cheating!" came from the away parents, even though the outgoing batsman admitted that it was plumb. I asked [so innocently; nobody expects a lady to know anything about cricket :)] "What's the LBW rule?" Not one of them knew but of course that didn't stop them!

I discovered later that the away umpire was not sure what the LBW rule was either, hence, he never gave them.

Liz Ward said:
Though witnessing a few attempts at the doosra ("the other one") in youth cricket, I have yet to see one that was not a throw ;)

The question is, can you actually bowl a doosra legally, unless you have the kind of movement that someone like Murali had?

Biomechanically, yes! After all it's very similar to a normal off-break. The trick is timing; the wrist still moves in a clockwise direction but the ball is bowled from the back of the hand. This is where the top spin needs perfecting, then, instead of spinning towards the bat, it should go the other way like a leg break.

You should concentrate on what is going on at the end of the arm not the arm itself!

kallis fan said:
Yeah, my arm for my stock ball is now higher.

And with regards throwing it, people seem to think I'm throwing it, but could 'get away with it'....If you get me. ;)

Not an expert on the human eye but I am pretty sure that 15 degrees is the limit that the human eye can detect in the arm. Consequently, if there is a cink (or jerk) in the arm speed but no visible bending, you should be behind the limit.

Liz,

As much as anything, it's about the strength of the umpire. It's about when there are umpiring with one team renowned for being aggressive, they do not let this have an affect on decision making.

I have to say, I am really quite excited [I warn you, I excite easily :laugh:]

I shall be watching Surrey very closely this season so that I can analyse the teesra, ("the third one").

Has anybody seen it yet?

Liz Ward said:
I have to say, I am really quite excited [I warn you, I excite easily :laugh:]

I shall be watching Surrey very closely this season so that I can analyse the teesra, ("the third one").

Has anybody seen it yet?

Excited by what?

With regards the Teesra, the cricinfo commentary line is about as much as I've seen about the ball!

;)

Now, I did warn you that I get excited easily :laugh:

I have not read the cricinfo commentary line but I am a biomechanist, working with kinematics, the outcome of the action is not that important to me; it's the movement that floats my boat !

Best not to think too much about it, we scientists are on a different planet [as if you hadn't already noticed :laugh:]

I think this is it, from the Sussex Vs Indians tour match in July 2007.

Saqlain deceives Laxman with a peach of a doosra. It floated in on the off and middle, landed on a length and Laxman went forward to defend. Suddenly, much to his horror, the ball kicked up alarmingly even as it deviated away, took the shoulder of the bat and went to slip. [...] The Indians have declared at the fall of Laxman's wicket. Laxman was knocked off by a deadly combo of doosra and extra bounce.

Thanks Manee, I had not seen this; even more excited to see the physiology now.

The doosra is a top spin; I can imagine several ways to get the extra bounce but none that comfortable!

Whoa! What's this all about? Is the Doosra such a difficult ball to bowl? Is it in some way more difficult than the RH bowlers Wrong Un? I've just looked on wikipedia and seen that it is a relatively new action and really contentious - why when the Wrong Un is well established and seemingly never questioned?

I think its just for the variation, Dave. It's something slightly different, puts an element of doubt in the batsman mind and not everyone can master it (well at the moment).

Back