Season 14/15 Rumours And Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to ask about a couple of players from years gone by and if anyone knows where they are at or if they are playing anywhere?
Brent Gutterson (Eltham / Research EC) - bowling all rounder
Stuart Duncan (Research / EC) - left arm opening bowler

Stewie Duncan moved to Sydney for work around 6-7 yrs ago still up there I believe.

Gutterson retired. Although a number of phone calls have transpired between him and Tongs recently to persuade him to play next season.

By the way Tongs can I come down and do some preseason sessions with you blokes??

Stewie Duncan moved to Sydney for work around 6-7 yrs ago still up there I believe.

Gutterson retired. Although a number of phone calls have transpired between him and Tongs recently to persuade him to play next season.

By the way Tongs can I come down and do some preseason sessions with you blokes??

Yep, Gutto pulled the pin last season, it was too tough on him having a young family and work etc whilst playing footy and cricket. So he had to make the call on one of the sports. Looking at how his footy season is going, he made the wrong call. :p I am not going to give up on him playing again for the Panthers in the very near future. I did manage to get him in for a cameo in the 2s last year.

Yep, if you're serious about coming down, you'd be more than welcome anytime.

Yep, Gutto pulled the pin last season, it was too tough on him having a young family and work etc whilst playing footy and cricket. So he had to make the call on one of the sports. Looking at how his footy season is going, he made the wrong call. :p I am not going to give up on him playing again for the Panthers in the very near future. I did manage to get him in for a cameo in the 2s last year.

Would be handy if you could entice him back Tongs, however if he isn't totally committed can be an issue.
Does anyone think Bundoora United can compete in Barclay with the same side that got them the chocolates in Money?
What kind of players do they need to stay up?

Keep on him he's lost the plot with footy. Although when he made his "cameo" I heard the sooking about his body for 3 weeks after!!

Pretty sure you owe me a season from last year! Was looking around for some local sessions as extra and catch up with Dogga. You blokes don't need bats anyway!

Would be handy if you could entice him back Tongs, however if he isn't totally committed can be an issue.
Does anyone think Bundoora United can compete in Barclay with the same side that got them the chocolates in Money?

I reckon they've got a pretty good team but there issue is their ground. Average Money line ups can smack up 280 on it, average Barclay teams will hit 380. The top teams well the sky's the limit at Loyola.

I reckon they've got a pretty good team but there issue is their ground. Average Money line ups can smack up 280 on it, average Barclay teams will hit 380. The top teams well the sky's the limit at Loyola.

How is the ground an issue? You both have to bat and bowl on it and if you look at the scores, they are not out of the ordinary. I think there has been 3 scores over 300 the last two seasons, two by us (MS). You act as though Loyola is the only small ground in the comp, but it's not. A comparable ground for size would be Research Park and you don't see scores of 400 there every game.

I also know we'll do just fine.

How is the ground an issue? You both have to bat and bowl on it and if you look at the scores, they are not out of the ordinary. I think there has been 3 scores over 300 the last two seasons, two by us (MS). You act as though Loyola is the only small ground in the comp, but it's not. A comparable ground for size would be Research Park and you don't see scores of 400 there every game.

I also know we'll do just fine.

Not just size more surface, especially after Xmas. Both sides and pavilion end get lightning quick. And yes both sides play on it but both sides dont chase 400 2nd week which good Barclay line ups will. Does make for exciting cricket there though in my experience in games at Loyola.

For the record I agree I think you guys will be fine in Barclay. Reckon Matty Ross and Nick at the top will appreciate a bit of extra zip in the early overs.

Scoring 400 runs no matter the size of the ground or grade played is bloody hard and not often done. As I said, compare ours to grounds of similar size and you'll see that it's a moot point.

Yeah it would be great to have someone of his elk back. The good thing with him is he contributes in all three facets of the game. I am sure once he gives away footy, then we will see him back at Panther Place in no time.

As for Bundoora United, my honest appraisal would be that they will finish mid road. They won't give finals a shake first up, but will not be anywhere near relegation. They are extremely well led on the field, and seem to have everything in working order off the field. A winning culture is a good culture and thats what they massively built this year. Whilst their ground is rubbish and they are never going to argue that its the best, both teams play in the same conditions each week. So that shouldn't change results. Just means that a few higher scores will be made.

You're not going to find too many sides that have a better batting line up. This year they had 5 players who made over 200 runs, (Cogan 547, Ross 470, Curtin 344, Barnett 223, Sharkey 202) which means they don't rely on the same people each week to make the runs. Adding in the fact that this season they have also included Brent Zerafa who will only strengthen it even more, with his usual 300 run season. So to beat them, you're going to be chasing a few. Thats where, unfortunately I think they will struggle. Whilst its not a bad bowling attack, its very workman like, they rely far too havily on Fraser and Barnett who took around 60% of their wickets between the two of them. If they can pick up a bowler or two in the off season, watch out.

Looking at the last four teams to win the flag in Money Shield (Camrea 3rd, NEW 8th, OPSF 9th, Rosanna 4th), it shows that whoever goes up to Barclay Shield are more than capable of holding their own, with two finishing mid road, and two playing finals. For all the knockers (and there are a few on here), it just goes to show the strength of Money Shield these days.

Keep on him he's lost the plot with footy. Although when he made his "cameo" I heard the sooking about his body for 3 weeks after!!

Pretty sure you owe me a season from last year! Was looking around for some local sessions as extra and catch up with Dogga. You blokes don't need bats anyway!

For a bloke that is pretty happy with his own rig, and happy to tell you about it or show you at the drop of a hat, it doesn't work all that well. Always sooking about how much he is hurting :).

Mate, we never knock back any players at our club, especially ones who can hold the stick like your good self. I am sure you would slot in very nicely. I think you owe me on a technicality. I told you he would play for the Panthers last year, and he did. So, when would you like me to put your clearance through?

For a bloke that is pretty happy with his own rig, and happy to tell you about it or show you at the drop of a hat, it doesn't work all that well. Always sooking about how much he is hurting :).

Mate, we never knock back any players at our club, especially ones who can hold the stick like your good self. I am sure you would slot in very nicely. I think you owe me on a technicality. I told you he would play for the Panthers last year, and he did. So, when would you like me to put your clearance through?

He's always enjoyed getting his rig out, even nowadays when it's starting to get a bit sloppy! I've got 3 years and about 20 kgs on him and don't hear me whinge like that!!

Technicality!? Please. Mate I believe it was if all 3 blokes we mentioned didn't play then I won. And only 2 of them played (well technically 1.1 played) So what's your shirt size?? :p

Probably staying where I am at this stage as I said just some extra sessions I'm interested in but never know still 4 months till round 1. :)

OPSF have signed new bowler and bat both from Preston CC for this year. They'll be pushing up the ladder a bit this year is my tip, won't have another stinker with the bat like last year.

Eltham currently in talks to get Lloyd Mash back to his Jnr club, has given away district cricket after a stellar career. However seems to be massive interest from ECA teams also.

After years of rumours, finally it has come true - Micky Lewis playing at Rosanna in 14/15.

Mash won't play at Eltham - unless they've found a benefactor or bought some pokie licenses, no way any team could pay for all of Minney, Gibbs and Mash!

After years of rumours, finally it has come true - Micky Lewis playing at Rosanna in 14/15.

Mash won't play at Eltham - unless they've found a benefactor or bought some pokie licenses, no way any team could pay for all of Minney, Gibbs and Mash!

Very illinformed post. For anyone that knows either Mash or Minney know that both are ripper blokes who are as loyal as people as you will come across. If asked, Skips would pay his subs like everyone else. He has never played for the sake of money, but for the love of the club. Mashy would also be coming to play for the club that he played all his juniors at and loves, as he could quite obviously get bucket loads else where. He too is not motivated by money, but may likek a challenge or two else where, who knows at this stage. Mashy and Skips are also very good friends. I know the club would love to have Mashy come back playing, and am sure would do whatever it takes to make it happen, should he want to play this season.

Last edited:
OPSF have signed new bowler and bat both from Preston CC for this year. They'll be pushing up the ladder a bit this year is my tip, won't have another stinker with the bat like last year.

Eltham currently in talks to get Lloyd Mash back to his Jnr club, has given away district cricket after a stellar career. However seems to be massive interest from ECA teams also.
If you believe the ECA forum he'll run around for Canterbury this season. Be surprised if they get a full season out of him though.

Bundoora United will be competitive, they won it from 3rd but are better equiped than Greensborough to play Barclay. Pretty experienced side. Agree with Tongs that they'd probably like another bowler. Perera perhaps to come back?

People adjust up and down based on the level of cricket they're playing. No reason to think their top order won't perform similarly next season.

I'll be interested to see how many scores of 380+ we see on Loyola next seaosn.

Very illinformed post. For anyone that knows either Mash or Minney know that both are ripper blokes who are as loyal as people as you will come across. If asked, Skips would pay his subs like everyone else. He has never played for the sake of money, but for the love of the club. Mashy would also be coming to play for the club that he played all his juniors at and loves, as he could quite obviously get bucket loads else where. He too is not motivated by money, but may likek a challenge or two else where, who knows at this stage. Mashy and Skips are also very good friends. I know the club would love to have Mashy come back playing, and am sure would do whatever it takes to make it happen, should he want to play this season.
I'd imagine Lloyd is similar to an Adam Dale in that he will not put his former club into a position of bidding for his services. Perhaps he will quite legitimately get good coin elsewhere for a few seasons prior to finishing his cricket back at Eltham.

For those interested Research Eltham CCC are talking to a couple of potentials and are hoping for more participation from Andrew Crook. Obviously Ben Cooksons role if any is unknown and at present he is showing great strength of character in fighting his current situation. With what he's going through, he's having a real crack. If I could be as bold to mention that we are in the planning stages of landscaping his backyard to give him a bit of a relaxing place to unwind in between treatments. If anyone out there is or knows of anyone in timber or landscaping supplies, we are after donations of material in particular spoil and sleepers to assist in the project. Just PM me if you can help. Cheers! P.S. In talking to Ben he is absolutely humbled by what various clubs have contributed financially but also in raising his spirits. He'll do a far better job of conveying that when the time is right but I just thought I'd mention it.

I'd imagine Lloyd is similar to an Adam Dale in that he will not put his former club into a position of bidding for his services. Perhaps he will quite legitimately get good coin elsewhere for a few seasons prior to finishing his cricket back at Eltham.

Yeah, I'd suggest that scenario would be a very viable option for Lloyd to take. And let's be honest, guys like that deserve to get a few extra coins in their pocket.

Yeah, I'd suggest that scenario would be a very viable option for Lloyd to take. And let's be honest, guys like that deserve to get a few extra coins in their pocket.

He's still only about 32 or so I believe, meaning even if he goes elsewhere for 2 years he comes back at 35 and still get some good years. But if there's a chance to get him now you would be doing everything you can.

The other thing (which I reckon is crap honestly) is for some reason these guys feel the need to stay on turf decks when they return to club level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back