The Mind And Wrist Spin

Discussion in 'Spin Bowling' started by Billywhizz, Apr 20, 2016.

Put it out there
  1. Neville Young

Neville Young New Member

This is my first time on here and I know this is an old post but I would like to respond. Having had 2 sessions with Philpott many, many years ago what he stressed at the time, was that in order to succeed you needed a number of attributes. 1. You need to have enormous self belief in your ability. 2. You need to have the thickest of skins because you will be miss handled and used poorly by most of the captains you play under, and also handling advice proffered by all and sundry (most of whom will have no real understanding of leg spin). 3. You need to be a bit of a philosopher to sort through all the information and opinions (whether sought or unsought) about your bowling, to sift through what is or isn't useful to your continued development as a bowler.

2. SLA

SLA Active Member

True of all spinners

3. Neville Young

Neville Young New Member

Most of it is true for bowlers, batsmen, keepers, fielders and coaches. For all of them probably an enormous self belief is central to their development. Which harks back to the initial topic of this thread about the mental approach to wrist spin. After self belief, I guess, having a thick skin is the most important attribute for leggies because from my experience they are the ones that are probably mishandled the most. At the pointy end of the queue, are your left hand wrist spinners who are even more misunderstood.

4. boogiespinner

boogiespinner Active Member

Do legspinners really get so badly treated? I think the thing is, we just need a lot more practice and if captains take us off because we haven't learnt how to pitch the ball accurately (holds hands up) that's not and can't be the teams problem. I liked the article which said that legspinners should spend at least ten years solo practice in a net before they are let loose in a match, it wasn't entirely joking.

Put it out there