Videos and Links

You bowl well mate. You seem to give it a good rip. I've been doing a bit of looking around for leg spin coaching for me and saw these 2 courses and thought you and other spinners might be intestested in having a look at them. https://www.pitchvision.com/cricket-coaching/course/leg-spin-bowling/174/58 https://www.pitchvision.com/cricket-coaching/course/the-drills:-leg-spin-bowling/168/58
Thanks mate, that means a lot. Thanks for the courses, will be sure to check them out.

Yeah, I've just had a look and made a few comments. All looks pretty good, the only thing that really struck me was that lack of a follow through, you stop really abruptly and almost everyone without exception would say that you're likely to get more spin on the ball if the action includes the follow through

Adil Rashid bowling, probably linked before, but here it is again. What I'm liking about this is that he's bowling finger-spin offies amongst his Leggies! As mentioned elsewhere I've just finished Amol Rajan's book 'The Twirlymen' in there at the end he advocates mixing up the two different specialities and comes up with some good examples of it being done previously. As a result I've had a couple of goes with my kids and it looks as though there's benefits to it, I can't spin it, but I can cut the ball a little and the difference is promising as at the moment, keeping away from bowling Googlies, a ball that breaks to the off a little would be useful.

That aside - Tom, check out Adils follow through in the vid above. He's a messy looking bowler, but people still have faith in him, he could still be a prospect for the future?

Yeah, I've just had a look and made a few comments. All looks pretty good, the only thing that really struck me was that lack of a follow through, you stop really abruptly and almost everyone without exception would say that you're likely to get more spin on the ball if the action includes the follow through
Thanks Dave, I have been working on the follow through and fully rotating the 180o degrees! I seem to be able to do it now 95% of the time with the occasional one being 150o ish rotation.

My comments on Youtube (You may have seen them)? They get automatically up-loaded to Google +, they might be re-commented on by Stuart Macgill or someone, if that happens, I'll let you know. The vids are good, they look very much as though they're influenced by the Beau Casson videos?

How does something that happens after you've let go of the ball affect what it does when it lands?

How does something that happens after you've let go of the ball affect what it does when it lands?
I think the inference is that to incorporate a follow through would suggest a more dynamic action. If you're able to stop so abruptly, it kind of suggests that the initial energy wasn't that dynamic, the smoother the action and the more flowing it is, potentially the more effective in putting the spin on the ball? It's kind of like the use of a whip and incorporates the analogy of you can't shoot a canon ball off of a canoe in a way. You have to start with a stable and sound base in order that the energy is transferred using all the levers in the body (Whip example), if the action of whipping is smooth surely the end result at the end of it is the whip crack. If that action was thwarted in some way towards the end, the whip crack wouldn't be so dynamic?

Sounds about right, Dave. If your release is good (goes for batting, for golf, for throwing, for everything) then your follow through will naturally be good. A shortened follow through is a symptom of an 'imperfect' release. The mistake would be trying to add a proper follow through onto the end of a bad release. They aren't seperate motions, fix the release (and I'm not talking just the moment where the ball leaves your hand, it's everything from putting your front foot down onwards) and the follow through fixes itself.

Yes, that's what I was digging at, whilst a short follow-through may be a symptom of an earlier problem, attempting to fix the symptom itself isn't going to achieve anything other than create more problems. You need to identify the cause and then fix that.

My comments on Youtube (You may have seen them)? They get automatically up-loaded to Google +, they might be re-commented on by Stuart Macgill or someone, if that happens, I'll let you know. The vids are good, they look very much as though they're influenced by the Beau Casson videos?
Hi Dave, I am at a club but no there isnt a coach and I barely bowl! I've bowled 45 overs in 8 games, taking 10 wickets. To be honest, I have taught myself how to bowl Legspin, by watching Shane Warne videos and also Terry Jenner videos. I have seen your Youtube comments and have replied to them :)

Here's a Warnie - Mark Nicholas combo - early version I've not seen before, some good stuff on the Flipper and the fact that his version is combination of others version.

Here's a Warnie - Mark Nicholas combo - early version I've not seen before, some good stuff on the Flipper and the fact that his version is combination of others version.

Thanks Dave, will check it out. At the moment I am struggling for ideas for YT videos, If you could let me know any drills or ideas that I could do I would be grateful. I am going to the nets on Sunday Morning so will be doing recording then.

Thanks Dave, will check it out. At the moment I am struggling for ideas for YT videos, If you could let me know any drills or ideas that I could do I would be grateful. I am going to the nets on Sunday Morning so will be doing recording then.
Tom, I think once it comes down to it, it is quite basic, you can easily over-think spin bowling and over coach it, so coming up with regular ideas will be a challenge. One thing you could look at that a lot of people neglect is fitness, core strength, agility, warming up, warming down, training ideas. That kind of thing would be good coming from someone your age. There's a book you might want to look at that might help - SAQ cricket.

Tom, I think once it comes down to it, it is quite basic, you can easily over-think spin bowling and over coach it, so coming up with regular ideas will be a challenge. One thing you could look at that a lot of people neglect is fitness, core strength, agility, warming up, warming down, training ideas. That kind of thing would be good coming from someone your age. There's a book you might want to look at that might help - SAQ cricket.
Thanks Dave. Good idea.

Adil Rashid bowling, probably linked before, but here it is again. What I'm liking about this is that he's bowling finger-spin offies amongst his Leggies! As mentioned elsewhere I've just finished Amol Rajan's book 'The Twirlymen' in there at the end he advocates mixing up the two different specialities and comes up with some good examples of it being done previously.
I bought Twirlymen but became quite livid after reading the section about Muralitharan :( and not sure if I can read any more of it.

does twirlymen not like Murali's action?

oh yeah and Tom, something I'm in the habit of doing when just bowling at a set of stumps is putting a pad down as a 'batsman' (instead of a coin/handkerchief/whatever on the 'spot'). Dunno if you would find that helpful or not...

Last edited:
Back