Videos and Links

Has anyone seen Imran Tahir bowl ? any links/videos of the same? Piyush chawla has been getting a few wickets - I think he'll play the game vs England

I've finished reading that book on underarm bowling and I'm now totally convinced the flipper pre-dates Grimmett, at least in terms of the hand action even if Grimmett may have been the first to try it overarm. The book is frustratingly short on the details of technique, mostly because the records of how cricket was played pre-1860 are not that extensive, but there's one part about a bowler called G.H.T. Simpson-Hayward, the last really good lob bowler, who was around before the First World War and there's much that will sound familiar to fans of a certain C.V. Grimmett...
"Batsmen found it very hard to know which way the ball was going to turn, an asset that he shared with a googly bowler. His straight ball without break frequently obtained an lbw decision, and it is said that when he bowled this one, he created the noise of the 'flick' associated with his vicious off-break with the fingers of his left hand. This deceived the batsman."
It seems to me that his vicious off-break must have been an off-spinning flipper, and whether Grimmett learned the trick of clicking the fingers of his left hand to suggest a non-existent flipper directly from Simpson-Hayward or invented it independently, the trick is the same. I find it hard to imagine that Grimmett would have learned it directly from a lob bowler, as by the time he began lobs were very much dying out, and in any case the book suggests there were hardly any noteworthy lobsters outside of England at any time.

It's a nice little book, and from reading it I'm left with the impression that leg-spinners are to lob bowlers what crocodiles are to dinosaurs. We employ very similar tactics to deceive batsmen using flight, spin, break (which interestingly, was for a long time described as "bias"), change of pace, and get the ball above the batsman's eye-line, and both take prodigious practise to get right.

Has anyone seen Imran Tahir bowl ? any links/videos of the same? Piyush chawla has been getting a few wickets - I think he'll play the game vs England

seen Tahir play dozens of county one day matches on TV. he was at Hampshire until last summer, when they were supposed to have Ajantha Mendis (but he never got released from international duty) and Tahir went out on a sort of loan deal to Warwickshire. hes back at Hampshire again this season (which is where I live), so im really hoping he plays in their match at Basingstoke. rumour is it will be against Yorkshire in a 4-day county championship game, so theres the possibility at present of seeing a game featuring Tahir, Rashid and Shahid Afridi!!! at a ground where you are literally sat on the boundary rope, and its no bigger than your average club pitch.

There's some on-line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1eR-rV12Kc&feature=channel is a bit ropey, but if you search on-line cricket TV and sign up to it, there's the full one hour highlight package broken up into 10 minute chunks, it's well worth seeing as this bloke Tahir looks like the real deal. The package I've just watched was like watching cricket in the Warne era - most of it was Tahir, it was like watching a proper Wrist Spinner. There's some slow mo close ups of his wrong un which are good if you're trying to learn the wrong un. He's a very good bowler, slow and short run up - smooth, no bound, kind of Terry Jenner-esque and he bowls different speeds and variations; Leg Break, Wrong Un and Top-Spinner. I'm hoping South Africa stay in now right to the final and then get beat by us. The Sky commentator was saying today that in comparison with Alfridi and Smith, Tahirs bowling is so much slower, there was a kind of suggestion therefore potentially better.

There's some on-line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1eR-rV12Kc&feature=channel is a bit ropey, but if you search on-line cricket TV and sign up to it, there's the full one hour highlight package broken up into 10 minute chunks, it's well worth seeing as this bloke Tahir looks like the real deal. The package I've just watched was like watching cricket in the Warne era - most of it was Tahir, it was like watching a proper Wrist Spinner. There's some slow mo close ups of his wrong un which are good if you're trying to learn the wrong un. He's a very good bowler, slow and short run up - smooth, no bound, kind of Terry Jenner-esque and he bowls different speeds and variations; Leg Break, Wrong Un and Top-Spinner. I'm hoping South Africa stay in now right to the final and then get beat by us. The Sky commentator was saying today that in comparison with Alfridi and Smith, Tahirs bowling is so much slower, there was a kind of suggestion therefore potentially better.
Oh How I hate this idiotic copyright settings! I can't watch the bloody video (as I can't see the worldcup in high quality streams at www.espnstar.com/cwclive ) because of copyrights in USA :(

Oh How I hate this idiotic copyright settings! I can't watch the bloody video (as I can't see the worldcup in high quality streams at www.espnstar.com/cwclive ) because of copyrights in USA :(

A very good lifehack.

Get hotpsot shield. It stops internet websites from finding out where you are. Hence it will stop websites from blocking you. The only problem is it's free -- and so to fund it the company has medium sized advertisements on the top of every website you visit.

These ads of course can be closed, but if you go to a new website -- new ad.

Back