Videos and Links

Hi, fledgling right-arm wristy here. I have a reasonable stock ball going and will upload a video soon, would appreciate some honest assessments and tips. 37 years old and my seam bowling just wasn't doing it any more, but the leg spin might I hope.

Ok -- co-ordination... timing etc.

The first delivery was ok (iffy). The second one really showed problems with timing.

When you land and start to go over your front foot -- that is when your arms should be propelling the ball forward. Note well -- when you start to go over your front foot. I don't mean when you land.

And when you go over your front foot -- you should really mean it! If you're driving with your right leg, you should go over your left leg with similar intensity.

Hi Mughot and doctortran.

Thank you for your views. I will try and get a longer video made. I left the flash on for that one and it devoured the battery...

I will work on coordinating my action and release. That was the kind of honest feedback I'm looking for, and I would never have picked that up on my own, so thank you. Presumably if I do a lot of work on the standing start drill that will rectify the problem to some extent. It's not something I've done yet.

Doctortran gives a good insight, I would imagine 5 to 10 bowls would be more suitable to get a better understanding of your technique.

Hi Mugshot, I practiced again tonight and set about trying to bowl from the standing start for an hour to try and get a feel for what doctortran said. It was hard at first, especially trying to keep the left leg braced. After about an hour I tried to incorporate a slightly adjusted action into my bowling. Some erratic deliveries.

NO NO NO.... not braced... braced up! You land with a bent strong left knee. And you then go over it. A good way to think of it is being in a horse riding position or horse kung fu stance. You face the leg side.... when you finish you face the off side. You can't maintain a stiff front knee if you want to do that.

And then still your timing is quite off in the first video. Delay the arm longer.

And remember it will take time. It is tough. I can see you are quite tentative working with this new mechanics change. Your action is slower and less explosive. That is fine as long as you believe in the changes you are making, eventually bringing back the speed and power of your delivery stride.

Thanks again for your advice.

The horse/kung fu thing is very helpful. I have faith in making these changes as it will make me a better bowler, and time is not a problem as I have lots of that and can practice in seclusion. Once I feel more comfortable with delaying the arm and getting it in tandem with the rotation of the hip and follow through I will try and ramp up the pace/explosiveness. I probably practiced for too long on my own before coming here for advice, but I wanted to get to a stage where I could present a video for comment without it being an embarrassing shambles.

I will practice for a few weeks and then upload another for further analysis.

Thanks again for your advice.

The horse/kung fu thing is very helpful. I have faith in making these changes as it will make me a better bowler, and time is not a problem as I have lots of that and can practice in seclusion. Once I feel more comfortable with delaying the arm and getting it in tandem with the rotation of the hip and follow through I will try and ramp up the pace/explosiveness. I probably practiced for too long on my own before coming here for advice, but I wanted to get to a stage where I could present a video for comment without it being an embarrassing shambles.

I will practice for a few weeks and then upload another for further analysis.

Good to see Doctortran back on here!

For all the chinaman bowlers out there, a vid of 21 year old Michael Rippon (SA) bowling for Sussex. Hopefully a good prospect. Not the greatest action, but possibly still helpful.

Big lesson why you don't fall away -- you don't spin it or you don't swing it or you don't bowl quick. Get that torso over your front leg.... that's what this kid needs to work on.

Hey guys, I posted some videos of myself bowling because I need help with technique, I just put it in the wrong area as I am new to the forums. :p
Feedback would be fantastic! Cheers :)
http://www.bigcricket.com/community/threads/wrist-spin-bowling-part-five.57795/page-57

Just had a look, searched you out on youtube and it looks very promising. To be honest you need to knock up a few more vids shot at different positions. You've not said what your problem is and the quick look I had there didn't seem to be too much if you've only just started. But to get some detailed feedback I would say to not worry about the outcome at the batting end and therefore just film your action from a pretty close up point of view so that you almost fill the frame when your arm is fully extended (Toe to hand), this would require putting the camera a lot more closer than you have.

Then shoot a clip from the side - so that it captures your chest when you get side-on in your action and also do one from the back. When can get some sense then of where your feet are landing and how side on you get. There's some good people on here that will be ablet to give you some indication on what to work on.

Just had a look, searched you out on youtube and it looks very promising. To be honest you need to knock up a few more vids shot at different positions. You've not said what your problem is and the quick look I had there didn't seem to be too much if you've only just started. But to get some detailed feedback I would say to not worry about the outcome at the batting end and therefore just film your action from a pretty close up point of view so that you almost fill the frame when your arm is fully extended (Toe to hand), this would require putting the camera a lot more closer than you have.

Then shoot a clip from the side - so that it captures your chest when you get side-on in your action and also do one from the back. When can get some sense then of where your feet are landing and how side on you get. There's some good people on here that will be ablet to give you some indication on what to work on.

Thanks heaps Dave! I will post some footage within the next week.
Really appreciate the feedback mate :)
Legend.

Good to see Doctortran back on here!

I'll definitely second that. Very useful guidance.

I bowled my spin in the nets for the first time on Sunday and, after a sloppy start when my line and length was all over the place, was very encouraged to beat the bat a few times and find the edge. That convinced me to stick with it.

I haven't been able to practice as much with this freezing weather and Xmas going on so the vid of my new action will be a little while.

I want to have a stock ball and top spinner sorted by the time the season starts.

Great blog, by the way.

I'll definitely second that. Very useful guidance.

I bowled my spin in the nets for the first time on Sunday and, after a sloppy start when my line and length was all over the place, was very encouraged to beat the bat a few times and find the edge. That convinced me to stick with it.

I haven't been able to practice as much with this freezing weather and Xmas going on so the vid of my new action will be a little while.

I want to have a stock ball and top spinner sorted by the time the season starts.

Great blog, by the way.

Stock ball and the Top-Spinner is a great way to go and it's good that the net session was encouraging, as a wrist spinner they're usually not that productive unless you can go in there with a plan. Normally the batsmen will look to slog you in a way that they'd rarely do in a match situation. Cheers for the endorsement of the blog, haven't been doing it that much over the winter, hopefully pick up soon when nets start with for the Kids and me.

The better batsmen thumped me a bit but that was early on and there were about 15 bowlers sharing two nets so that didn't help. But the turn was there and when I got the line and length right stuff started happening. One guy charged down the wicket at me, played and missed.

My pleasure, keep up the good work. The blog and Philpott's book got me to where I am so far but I felt I needed some feedback so came here. What a great forum this is.

Back