Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

I've heard Wings To Fly mentioned several times now on this subject. Is it actually possible to get hold of a copy of it, or is it a 'coaches only' kind of thing?

Sorry pressed send by mistake.

I was going to add that I believe that basically every high performance boys spin coach in Australia would be using similar methods as Jenner visits all the State squads. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

Here is the address to buy.
http://ecbcashop.com/productitem.asp?id=147

Good luck

PS Nightvision i think anyone can purchase.

Nightvision said:
I've heard Wings To Fly mentioned several times now on this subject. Is it actually possible to get hold of a copy of it, or is it a 'coaches only' kind of thing?

All coaches who are members of the ECB CA are given a new DVD each year. They are a great resource.

Have a word with one of the coaches at your Club, I'm always happy to loan mine out.

Has anyone had coaching by a decent leg spin coach any any ideas whether they preach about spinning back for the big leg break as it is so blo"$££!y difficult to do and very painful on the shoulder. Saw the 12 wickets taken by macgill against england and his action is so flowing. He does not seem to be bowling backwards but rather like i bowl a topspinner and yet he gets massive turn with his action. I am getting a bit obsessed with this subject, does the ECB spin video show how a good legbreak is done in a detailed way. Also Liz i notice they have a dvd on core training, is it worth the price. Would like strengthening as had cervical disc prolapse 2 yrs ago. Tried a PILATES book but too complicated. I am fairly fit, jog about 35 km a week and did a half marathon last year :D

All core training is worth the money though you may need something more specific.

I know this was two years ago but is there any residual issue with your back; numbness, weakness?

What about the shoulder, arms, neck stiffness, legs [walking/gait]?

Did you require surgery or was it left to improve without treatment?

Are you bent forward most of your day?

How is your posture [be honest ;)]?

Did you suffer previously from spondylosis?

Was this as a result of cricket activity?

Sorry for all the questions, it will just help me to target the right type of exercise for you.

Some residual numbness occasionally and not related to any particular activity. Self diagnosed it as am a geratrician. Spondylosis free back looked spotless on mri (except for two prolapses C5 and C6) and thankfully no surgery required. Had a chat with a few colleagues of mine that are physios who adviced pilates . I have a bit of a thoracic kyphosis due to weak back muscles and a very strong six pack(just joking about six pack).Oh and no cord compression :D A bit of tingling in the hands today and minimally stiff shoulder from attempting the impossible backspinning big leg break. Oh any strengthening exercises for the old leg spinning blokes chatting here :laugh: :laugh: Thank you

I really think you would benefit from visiting a sports therapist; I would love to get my hands on you :D

There is so much I would love to do with you. You need to work on supporting the kyphosis and strengthening the cervical spine; thoracic extensions would help [you need to increase pec flexibility too].

Pilates would be great, have you thought about a one2one session? Failing that, attending a Pilates or Stability Ball Class?

Liz Ward said:
I really think you would benefit from visiting a sports therapist; I would love to get my hands on you :D

There is so much I would love to do with you.

have you thought about a one2one session?

Easy Liz!

Regarding this spinning backwards malarky, as nightvision has mentioned what it does is make the ball spin more acutely. I think as it leaves your hand your arm and body are driving the ball forwards but the flick and spin caused by the fingers and wrist "Trying" to spin it backwards means that it leaves your hand spining in almost opposition to the forward motion. This means that once it hits the ground it is trying to spin diagonally backwards and to the left, but with the forward motion the two opposing kinetic energy factors -
1. forward motion (The ball being thrown)
2. Diagonal Backspin (The flick and finger drag across the ball).
They then meet each other making the ball spin off to the left.
Honestly just get a ball and take it outside and just throw it a few yards using a slow bowling action and put the backspin on it - you see how much it deviates off it's expected line.

But as I said before - don't get hung up on this, if you get your Leg Break to turn big already - don't screw it up trying to do this. As I've said before I'm having limited success with it, but until I came across this in the book I couldn't get the ball to spin towards off from leg.

Thanks liz but my missus thinks that the best one on one therapy and general core strengthening is easily achieved by cleaning the floor and the odd plate :laugh:
The reason i was obsessed with this backspiner is that i had thought the big leg break was the one spun from hand to hand. When i bowled this the seam pointed towards the batsmen as a topspinner as the phil man said.
Flipper gets decent length but need practice for line as i nearly always just miss the stumps.
Any idea why all leg spin threads are so meaty could be the mystery behind it or else it is because LB bowlers are a bit obsessed. I always remember myself when young being fascinated and spent hours spinning table tennis balls onto the floor or against walls. The difference now is that i am a grown up boy..ahem. As philpott says we spinners bring joy to the game with our humour.. well people around us are always amused i being deluded think that it is due to wit or maybe it is me bowling tripe.

mysteryspinner said:
Thanks liz but my missus thinks that the best one on one therapy and general core strengthening is easily achieved by cleaning the floor and the odd plate :laugh:

Well, that's not going to happen :D

I sense resistance to my ideas - how about a Pilates DVD, then you can both do it together ;)

Seriously consider an instructor though, just a couple of one2ones and you can go it alone. Its really important that you get the technique right for it to work.

Yeah I think you've got to be a bit weird to be a Wrist spinner. Shane Warne - head case, just look at his hair for a start! McGill weird, stroppy loner by all accounts. Terry Jenner - convict of some sort? Muralitharan - constantly smiling like he knows something the rest of us are oblivious to - what's that all about?

No, the hand to hand is the small leg break - I made the same mistake and was bowling like that for weeks and getting absolutely no-where with it (Ikea syndrome - you read half the instructions and then make a start and screwit all up - you're wife will probably know about this). It wasn't until I'd thrown the 3458th ball and it virtually went straight that I though "Ah what was that bit in the book about spinning the ball back towards your body all about"? Then read the instructions fully and realised!!! :laugh:

Thanks again . Any DVD you can recommend i can get thatdoes not require me to have the suppleness of nadia comaneci? Thank you in advance

I don't know how supple and agile I am in comparison to other people, but going on what I saw of the other Dads and Mums at my sons cub camp last weekend maybe I am more so than most? They were all 10-15 years younger than me but couldn't manage cartwheels, handstands etc and did seem to struggle with touching their toes! I must admit though I seem to be a bit stiff in the morning around the base of my back at the point just above the hips.

With regards the wrist and shoulders I reckon those big elastic band things seem to work well.

mysteryspinner said:
Thanks again . Any DVD you can recommend i can get thatdoes not require me to have the suppleness of nadia comaneci? Thank you in advance

Any. Try your local library first and work through them all, what suits one does not necessarily suit another. Get a beginners one; it will start off with very basic movements, then you can build up to the comanecis :laugh:

A humble attempt by me to bowl a run of the mill leg break [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfE-2mf6_50&feature=related"]YouTube - Shane Warne, Ball of the 20th Century / Gatting ball[/ame]

Childish but could not resist it dave. Do you think it fits into some other syndrome. I am jealous of him , hell he is even younger than us

You watch though I bet over the next few years he falls to pieces and he'll be half the blokes he is now and then we'll be laughing! Let's see how he's doing when he's in his 40's?

This one's called schadenfreude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back