Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Judging from the delivery where you show your action, it looks like you're throwing it. No doubt that you get some turn but can you get some more shots of your action?

Hi Unspinable,

This action is also causing a lot of stress on your spine. The amount of counter rotation you have going on here is immense. We spend so much time trying to correct pace bowlers but spinners have issues too.

I know why you do it but believe me, it is not worth it. Of course, it may seem worth it now, especially as you can get a good basket of wickets but you must look ahead... a 40 year old with a wrecked spine is not a pretty sight, especially if he is unable to play the simplest of games with his children :(

Try to keep your front foot to the left of your back foot and after release you must follow through.

At the moment, this is an illegitimate bowl but with a little work on the elbow, you'll get there. You need to use the shoulder more. Don't give up on it... work on it :)

I've taken 9 wickets in 4 games. I'm pretty happy with that. Since that 5 wicket hall I took, I've bowled crap. We had a T20 and I got tonked around (1/23 from 3 overs). Then last week I got 1/25 from 6 overs. I bowled pies for the first 2 overs, but after that I was bowling very well and had 2 dropped catches off me. I was unlucky not to have atleast another wicket.

Anyway, got a T20 this week. It's the final game before Christmas. I'll fill you in on how I go.

PS. How do I bowl to hacks? I find it impossible to bowl to em. No matter where I pitch it, flat or tossed up, they go for me and usually connect. Anyone got any tips?

PPS. Unspinable, it looks like you were throwing it there because it was a really short area. That is definately not a pitch length. Do you reckon you might be able to get down to some local nets and film it? That way we can get a look at your action and where you pitch it.

Sean,

Sorry to read abt the bowling performance.
Can u share the field placement with me?

Secondly; T20 is the shorter version of the game and batsmen will look to score heavily so ur bowling and field palacement has to be on spot.
Bowl with full confidence with change in pace and line length supported with smart field placement.
U also have to judge the batsmen's strong and weak points if possible discuss the same with ur captain or coach so u can plan accordingly.

No matter what happens just keep ur cool and try to outsmart the batsmen with ur bowling variations.
All the best and post the match progress?

Virender

Unspinable;293797 said:

Man! Don't worry about the camera mate - what about that backyard! Strewth I wish my backyard looked like that!

Other than that your arms bent and there's no follow through - as the other have suggested get out on a field or something maybe the beach if you've got the right kind of sand and bowl over 22 yards with the camera in a better position and we'll be able to see the whole thing. As Liz says - keep at it, but you'll have to get the basic action right. Maybe leave the spin alone for a while and just learn to bowl straight - keep the spinners finger configuration but don't actually try and put revs on the ball yet - just concentrate in getting the bowling action correct. Have a look at all the videos on you tube - the one with Beau Casson I think is really useful as he looks at the basic action and doesn't bang on about all the spin variations like Warne and Jenner do in their video clips.

The backyard "pitch" isn't very long though, only about 10 meters
But yeah, I do like my backyard.

I have to teach my friend how to shoot a soccer ball properly XD today, so I might have to do some more vids at the nets later.

Yeah if you can get to some nets that'll be ideal. Yeah I wouldn't bowl too often out there then if it's only 10 yards - I think it'll be to your detriment if you keep it up over that distance. Do you know the Beau Casson video I'm on about on youtube?

I've just looked at this video again and compared it with some video footage of my own bowling and already spotted a few things to work on - my leading arm for instance isn't that straight as it leads slightly angled so just that one little look that's identified an area for development. It's well worth a look at especially if you can video your own bowling and make a direct comparison. If you've got half decent video files I can then point you in the direction of some free software you can download on-line that'll enable you to edit your vidz and make them slow motion.

hey,
my advice to any begin legspinner is to
1) have a side on action
2) use the wrist , fingers only straighten
3) to practise alot lol

at the moment i feel lyk i have a decent action :)
can you take a look and comment advice??
soz bad camera and pitch is only about 13 metres so i was struggling... pitch is short buh i think i did an ok job ill make one on a cricket pitch soon :)

YouTube - Luke Watson Leg spin bowling (leg-stump camera view)

Luke I posted some comments on youtube, it looks pretty good to me, but you need some of the experts to have a look and comment! The main thing I'd say is that you do need to be doing it over 22 yards for it to count, otherwise you could be wasting a lot of energy and time.

On another subject....

I've been posting elsewhere trying to get to grips with what it is that Murali does when he bowls and some of the responses have been a bit lame and laced with undertones of xenophobia. But a new bloke today in his first ever post gave an explanation that was pretty neat and put me straight with regards the Murali bowling action. But the reason I was asking about it and making loads of claims about what it might and might not be was just to get to the bottom of it and understand it more.

If you look at this clip http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WxvYcRwyl9w you can see what happens and yeah Gundalf you're right it's not a wrong un and I was completely wrong. If you watch this the main difference is the fact that his wrist rotates clockwise in order that the ball comes out of his up-turned hand. Whereas the wrong un you turn your hand anti-clockwise to get the ball to come out of the back of the hand. I'm now wondering whether I've ever done this! I'm pretty sure I have as if I stand up and do it the action feels familiar.

Some seconds later - Yeah - I've just been outside and tried it, yeah I can do these I was bowling them in the spring. But here comes the really interesting bit - no-one anywhere goes on to explain what he does to get the ball to spin like a Leg break, all they say if that the delivery looks the same but the ball goes the other way. So this is where I've been looking at the potential of using the flipper action in conjunction with balls that come out of the up-turned hand. One being my ball 'The Gipper' which is the wrist rotating anti-clockwise a la the wrong un and then clicking it out of the fingers which can produce massive leg spin.

Since I started to look at what it is that Murali does and the fact that the bloke in the offspin thread 'Mr Offspin' http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t60610-2/#post284633 said that my Gipper was like Murali's Doosra I've been looking closer at the potential of the Flipper.....

If you can do the flipper action and spin the ball with your fingers by clicking them (See the Warne and Jenner videos on youtube) try this. Hold a ball in you hand flipper style with your palm facing the ceiling. Flick it flipper style and just let it drop to the floor. The ball rotates spinning clockwise as it drops to the floor and then spins away to the right.

Now do this; Do exactly the same thing but instead of just letting the ball drop to the ground just gently flick you hand forward from the wrist. To my mind the ball spins in exactly the same way and comes out of the hand spinning clockwise - but then observe what happens when it hits the ground this time. All my experiments show that it then spins away towards the left like a leg break.

The spin seems to be the same but this is obviously impossible and I had to look at it again more closely and what it comes down to is the very exact timing of when you click the fingers. If you click the fingers when the wrist is still in the cocked position Leg Spin is put on the ball, but if the click happens as the hand is unfurled and in a almost straightened position off-spin is put on the ball.

Neither actions are easy and my initial experiments seem to show loads of promise, but the thing is I'm old bloke and I'm probably limited in my physical ability to do these things to some point and I haven't got time on my side to develop these weird varitations. But I think the most interesting thing is the Flipper. To me it seems that in the same way that Philpott talks about going round the clock with wrist spin you can do virtually the same thing with the Flipper giving you a whole load of new variations?

thanks,
next time im down the nets ill make a vid
im pretty gd at accuracy so i can bowl on mostly any length
but when i make the new vid ill be sure to post it on here :)

i saw in other posts tht you have a problem with bowling leg breaks as you are a googly bowler

may i suggest...

That you stand side on wiv a ball in cocked wrist position towards the stumps. Then go through a routine of non bowling arm towards target whilst bringing ur bowling arm around and ultimately releaseing the ball at about 10-11 o clock this is crucial with you want to bowl a ripping leg break tht you must bowl at 11 o clock.
also as your bowling arm comes round make sure the WHOLE face of the ball is facing the batsmen for a leg break.
I watched ur vid and ur release point is 12 o clock which is the release point for a googly.
Hope this helps

Btw i have my thumb on the ball for a leg break and slider and flipper yet have the thumb off the ball for the googly and top spinner, this finger change sumhow makes me bowl what i want.
as i cant bowl a leg break wiv my thumb off the ball lol :)

Wow i had a look and ur wrist position is great for the wrong'un i jus wish u showed the clip in real time aswell as slow motion.

the delievery as a nice flight maybe u shud try now making it a flatter delievery then compare the 2, umm gd front arm and side on action.

the wrong'un looks gd dave (Y) :D

Merry xmas Every1!!:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back