2010 / 11 general chat.

Re: 2010 / 11 general chat.

Bentleigh looks to have signed up one of the more interesting recruits for season 2010/11.

According to their website they have signed the captain of the Papua New Guinean national team, Rarua Dikana.

There is quite a bit of detail about him on their website, but the thing that stood out to me was he was named PNG Sportsman of the Year in May 2010.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how he performs.

He would want to good to be better than Chris Amini APWSTC last season

Quality player and even better person 434 runs at 62 in Senior Division

I may ask why he wasn't selected in Senior division Team of the Year

Who selected this team ???

But good luck Bentleigh the PNG boys are great blokes and can really play

In relation to the reserve day being talked about, whats the point in having one day reserved when all the games before christmas are 2 day games? Its more likely that only one week of these games might be affected by weather not both, and it dosent help if its the second week of a game. Maybe there is a reason for it but why not move the two one day games after christmas to the first two games of the season, then if one of the weeks is washed out then we only have to make up that week.

Too Old Body Broke;402359 said:
I think we should commend the vtca for at least trying to make sure we get 11 rounds in. I am not sure there is a perfect answer to all of the points raised above. But at least by having a reserve day, if a round is washed out before xmas, this gives all teams a chance to play everyone once. You could raise the "vs a weak team in a 1 dayer" argument about the 2 x 1 dayers after xmas?? I am not sure if the Sunday after break up is such a good idea? Why not, dare I say it, Melb cup day? Schedule tea when the big one is on. The rest of the fields on cup day are cats.....

Too Old, this is exactly my point. There are too many points (some raised here and some not) that need to be discussed between the Clubs and the VTCA before a decision is made. Yet, it would appear that there has been no consultation with the Clubs.

Just on another note, the VTCA is also planning to have the last two games of the home and away season as one day games to avoid situations as per the South Division last round, where Chelsea and MHSOB effectively played two one day games allowing MHSOB to win outright and knock Brighton out of finals contention.

Finally, with regards to the reserve day, I think one of the great things about the VTCA is that save for finals and the Sunday one day comp (where those who want to play Sundays, can), there is no Sunday play throughout the home and away season which is attractive for some players. I know this is only one day (which may or may not eventuate), but I know first hand of 1st XI players who are just not available on Sundays (unless it's finals).

only the truth;402378 said:
He would want to good to be better than Chris Amini APWSTC last season

Quality player and even better person 434 runs at 62 in Senior Division

I may ask why he wasn't selected in Senior division Team of the Year

Who selected this team ???

But good luck Bentleigh the PNG boys are great blokes and can really play

Team picked by all Senior Division captains, including the Airport West captain, so please speak to mssrs Brown, Baker, Hutchison and co to find out why Amini didn't make it.

Any truth in the rumour that ex Hoppers Adam Brodie is coaching at Keilor Park? If so i'll bet running between the wickets or running at all isn't part of pre season training.

Ash Russell has left South Caulfield to play at Bentleigh Uniting in the CMCA. He will play alongside Glen Lalor whom Uniting also signed. Two pretty strong names for the CMCA club, but more importantly, a huge loss to Sth Caulfield (all info on Uniting's website).

I believe 13000 reasons to leave, good luck to anyone who wants to play in a isolated competition in a small pocket of Melbourne.

southern sledge;402608 said:
I believe 13000 reasons to leave, good luck to anyone who wants to play in a isolated competition in a small pocket of Melbourne.
Nice to see loyalty to his club....$'s talk, b_llsh_t walks..... big fish small pond comes to mind..... or maybe he just got sick of being in a "nearly there" side??

Too Old Body Broke;402611 said:
Nice to see loyalty to his club....$'s talk, b_llsh_t walks..... big fish small pond comes to mind..... or maybe he just got sick of being in a "nearly there" side??
Pretty ordinary comment to say the least. Been arguably the best player in the competition. He's been at South for a number of years, maybe he wanted a change? The site says he's got mates at the club so yeah...anyway i wonder whether his brother will go aswell or will he stay?

Cricket Addict;402622 said:
Pretty ordinary comment to say the least. Been arguably the best player in the competition. He's been at South for a number of years, maybe he wanted a change? The site says he's got mates at the club so yeah...anyway i wonder whether his brother will go aswell or will he stay?

The only reason anyone goes from turf to CMCA is for $$$$, so fair comment in my book. It's a rubbish comp filled with many 'big fish, small pond types', so perhaps he's gone to see his mug in the 'Glen Eira Leader' on a weekly basis?... Personally I don't begrudge him for whatever the reason, that said he's been at Sth Caulf. since a junior and with the old man being a past/serving president (?) they couldn't be taking his loss too well.

Cricket Addict;402622 said:
All I am saying is that if a player of that calibre left Spotty to go and play at another club for $$'s, and that is what is being said on here, I think it is ordinary. As for mates at the club he is going to, well all that has been said is that he knows Lalor?? And does he not have mates at Sth? Each to their own i guess. $$'s is killing every comp.

Southern Son;402629 said:
The only reason anyone goes from turf to CMCA is for $$$$, so fair comment in my book. It's a rubbish comp filled with many 'big fish, small pond types', so perhaps he's gone to see his mug in the 'Glen Eira Leader' on a weekly basis?... Personally I don't begrudge him for whatever the reason, that said he's been at Sth Caulf. since a junior and with the old man being a past/serving president (?) they couldn't be taking his loss too well.

Rubbish comp? Interesting point of view. having played 'cmca', 'vtca' and 'premier cricket' i would say though they are a different style of play longmuir sheild is atleast the same if not better standard than south div vtca and similar to mid/lower sides in premier 2nds(with the top 4 teams being very competitive). there is a common misconception that the synthetic pitches mean poor cricketers, such as Rob Quiney, Nick Jewell, Brad Hodge, oh and this battler named Shane Warne. seems your bitter words are based on ignorance fueled ego rather than a vast knowledge. Disappointing really:(

Every South division club , maybe apart from Ajax would kill any CMCA club and a few Subbies as well and of the players you mentioned how many played senior CMCA cricket.
It is a fact that the fastest growing CMCA junior teams are from VTCA clubs.

southern sledge;402642 said:
Every South division club , maybe apart from Ajax would kill any CMCA club and a few Subbies as well and of the players you mentioned how many played senior CMCA cricket.
It is a fact that the fastest growing CMCA junior teams are from VTCA clubs.

Firstly Rob Quiney(washington park), Nick Jewell(brighton union). Secondly, the vtca club i played with was not as strong as the cmca side i played in and East Sandringham was stronger than us, simple as that. So i'm sorry, but you'll have to head back to the stables to trade in for a slightly lower horse than the one your sitting on now.This is not a sledge, its just the way it is mate.

Too Old Body Broke;402630 said:
All I am saying is that if a player of that calibre left Spotty to go and play at another club for $$'s, and that is what is being said on here, I think it is ordinary. As for mates at the club he is going to, well all that has been said is that he knows Lalor?? And does he not have mates at Sth? Each to their own i guess. $$'s is killing every comp.
Just cause it's on bigcricket doesn't mean it's true. I'm sure he wouldn't be leaving just for the money. There's a lot bigger clubs out there where he'd be getting heaps more.

Guy Incognito;402650 said:
Firstly Rob Quiney(washington park), Nick Jewell(brighton union). Secondly, the vtca club i played with was not as strong as the cmca side i played in and East Sandringham was stronger than us, simple as that. So i'm sorry, but you'll have to head back to the stables to trade in for a slightly lower horse than the one your sitting on now.This is not a sledge, its just the way it is mate.
You might have played in 3 comps, but at what standard and good to see that you are loyal.

Back