2012/2013 Premiership And Medal Winner - Tipping Comp

Would you be saying this if it weren't a player from your club? If, as a club, you want to reward him that's fine. I don't think that it's poor form from the DVCA at all.

Agree 100%.
No arguments here, best player won the medal, not so sure about the Barclay winner though.

Would you be saying this if it weren't a player from your club? If, as a club, you want to reward him that's fine. I don't think that it's poor form from the DVCA at all.
Would be saying it whoever it was. Happens once every 100 years and should be recognised.

The Exec are always telling us that they have money in the bank to reward our players.
Why can't they pay for the umpires in GF's.
A small cost, but would be a great gesture.
Teams earn the right to play in them, should be rewarded.

Would be saying it whoever it was. Happens once every 100 years and should be recognised.

The Exec are always telling us that they have money in the bank to reward our players.
Why can't they pay for the umpires in GF's.
A small cost, but would be a great gesture.
Teams earn the right to play in them, should be rewarded.
Even spend some money on premiership medals. Most comps give them out to the players of the winning team. Cant see why we dont do it.

Even spend some money on premiership medals. Most comps give them out to the players of the winning team. Cant see why we dont do it.
Great call........we had medals ready to go for all our teams on GF day, all players were rapt to get a medal around there necks after winning, would mean even more to them if they came from the league I reckon.

100% agree on the premiership medals. I think that's a fantastic idea across all grades, and i know for a fact that medals are pretty cheap.

But that's off topic to the original comment about Perera, does that mean the DVCA should reward all feats that are out of ordinary? For example, a few years ago ECC had two players make 200. An amazing effort, made more amazing by the fact they did it together in the same innings. Probably something that's never happened, and probably won't ever again. The DVCA are not required to do anything for them at all. I'm sure there are many stories like this from most clubs..

100% agree on the premiership medals. I think that's a fantastic idea across all grades, and i know for a fact that medals are pretty cheap.

But that's off topic to the original comment about Perera, does that mean the DVCA should reward all feats that are out of ordinary? For example, a few years ago ECC had two players make 200. An amazing effort, made more amazing by the fact they did it together in the same innings. Probably something that's never happened, and probably won't ever again. The DVCA are not required to do anything for them at all. I'm sure there are many stories like this from most clubs..

In A grade, or 1st XI?
Our club made special presentations to both our premiership teams this year. Personalised plaques.
Are you saying medals on the day? I agree, great idea.

In A grade, or 1st XI?
Our club made special presentations to both our premiership teams this year. Personalised plaques.
Are you saying medals on the day? I agree, great idea.

What grade it is, is irrelevant.

Medals presented to the 11 premiership players, on the day along with the shield. There's not a cricketer who wouldn't love that.

Glenn Turner, Justin Whitcher, Elliot Smale, and of course Tongs' boyfriend Mark Minney. These are some of the last few guys who have won the Barclay Shield Batting average the last 10 years.

He is a good guy, i have nothing against him, but surely Jet Still is the worst batsmen to win the Barclay Shield batting average in a long long time. He's no dud, but if anyone picked the 10 best batsmen in the comp, no one would have him anywhere in it.

Congrats to Cal on winning the medal. Good allround cricketer, who had a really good season. Not many people take 30+ wickets and also make 300 runs. Deserved the honours.

Glenn Turner, Justin Whitcher, Elliot Smale, and of course Tongs' boyfriend Mark Minney. These are some of the last few guys who have won the Barclay Shield Batting average the last 10 years.

He is a good guy, i have nothing against him, but surely Jet Still is the worst batsmen to win the Barclay Shield batting average in a long long time. He's no dud, but if anyone picked the 10 best batsmen in the comp, no one would have him anywhere in it.

Congrats to Cal on winning the medal. Good allround cricketer, who had a really good season. Not many people take 30+ wickets and also make 300 runs. Deserved the honours.

I must agree he deserved the honours, i've been guilty of 'bagging' him before, so he stuck it up me!!

as for the batting averages, you always get the odd quirky result, just hope they took into account all the matches, still no details for their rd11 match!!

Averages are just that - no opinions are needed, no umpires favourites, just figures. If he has had the season that adds up to winning the award, then his name should be worth being engraved.
Around the days when Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett kicked 120+ goals, John Longmire kicked the most in a season (98) and was awarded the medal. Not in the class of the other blokes, but worth it just the same.

Jet still would've won (I'm pretty sure it was taken into account...) He got 49 I think.

You can possibly debate medals (if 33 wickets and 350 runs isn't worth a medal the standard has lifted), but don't think you can debate a batting average, the bloke who averages the most who has qualified, wins.

I must agree he deserved the honours, i've been guilty of 'bagging' him before, so he stuck it up me!!

as for the batting averages, you always get the odd quirky result, just hope they took into account all the matches, still no details for their rd11 match!!

Jet still would've won (I'm pretty sure it was taken into account...) He got 49 I think.

You can possibly debate medals (if 33 wickets and 350 runs isn't worth a medal the standard has lifted), but don't think you can debate a batting average, the bloke who averages the most who has qualified, wins.
Yeah exactly. People shouldn't confuse the average with 'bet bat in the competition' because averages can be somewhat inflated if someone has a few not outs. As tends to happen when you bat 6-7 onwards. Its just that over recent years someone like Mark Minney and others have won them through sheer weight of runs. Every now and then a result like this gets thrown up. Still (pardon the pun), don't take anything away from it. He's had a very solid season.

Callum's had a great year. Definitely an all rounders medal, any year that his batting fires he'll be a chance to win it.

Back