2014/15 D Grade And Below

To those up echelon snobs.

Please go away. One day games and 20/20 cricket is already provided for in DVCA.

One day games promote poor techniques designed for one thing, sloggers or higher grade players who can't play both weeks of a game.

The lower grades is the for the development of younger cricketers who need time at the crease, and for old buggers who play for the fun or to play with their kids.

It ain't broken so leave us alone.

lol One day game promote poor technique. An ancient notion. If you haven't figured out by now batting is all about your survival instincts, then you're stuffed. I don't know you personally. But I bet you're not much better now, than you were years ago. So much for time at the crease.

If you're worried about technique. How about teaching kids to play good shots from the start of their innings, instead of just surviving? lol

Try Lalor Stars in G Grade who made 300+ (on day 1) against the 2nd bottom team, then failed to get an outright by 2 wickets. (Only had 10 players to boot)
If they miss the finals (good possibility of happening), what a waste of a year, just because they felt like beating up on a team that is struggling.
So now you've backed up my idea. With a shorter game, this will not happen. Shorter games allow the weaker team a bigger chance of winning as well.

lol One day game promote poor technique. An ancient notion. If you haven't figured out by now batting is all about your survival instincts, then you're stuffed. I don't know you personally. But I bet you're not much better now, than you were years ago. So much for time at the crease.

If you're worried about technique. How about teaching kids to play good shots from the start of their innings, instead of just surviving? lol

So now you've backed up my idea. With a shorter game, this will not happen. Shorter games allow the weaker team a bigger chance of winning as well.

We'd all love to go out there and play good shots from the start of our innings, but conventional wisdom from the 150+ year history of cricket suggests it is not easy, and the domain of exceptional cricketers, or those playing at a level below what their talent could allow. Teaching kids, particularly those who are still physically developing to play good shots from ball one is an easier notion in theory than practice. Allowing them time at the crease without the impending pressure to score quickly has to be better for their development!

Are there any clubs that have foxtel in their clubrooms, and have them open and available outside "normal" cricket hours/days, so members can watch WC games?

If so, would they let non-members of their clubs but members of other dvca clubs come in and watch? I don't care if they wouldn't want outsiders in their clubs, I just want to know of those that do or would? Even if there was a fee or an understanding to buy a couple of drinks?

What a joke world cup for our national sport on our soil and they dont show it on free to air tv. So many good neutral games ppl are missing out on.....talk about being close minded

What a joke world cup for our national sport on our soil and they dont show it on free to air tv. So many good neutral games ppl are missing out on.....talk about being close minded

Why put cricket games on that don't include Australia for 300,000 viewers when the latest piece of crap reality tv show will drag in 1.2 million viewers. Like with everything, follow the money trail.

Could any club be doing worse than North Eltham Wanderers?

7 senior sides
1 x eighth
1 x ninth
2 x second last
3 x last

I really don't understand how you can be that bad across your whole club.

7 senior sides
1 x eighth
1 x ninth
2 x second last
3 x last

Their clubs are in the wrong grades. That will correct itself over the next few years. From the outside, they have had a barry crocker. Perhaps 7 teams is too many?

7 senior sides
1 x eighth
1 x ninth
2 x second last
3 x last

Depends how you look at it. Yeah ok, I get they are not having a great year on field, but there are many positives that they do have, which other clubs are really struggling with. They have a very large senior list, which is a positive. They have a very large junior list, which is a positive. Their players, whilst being unsuccessful on field, are still showing up week in week out, which is a positive.

You look at other clubs that are near the top in their ones, but are struggling to even fill their lower grades. Does that make them a successful club because they have one side in finals? The biggest battle that cricket clubs face is not talent, but actually getting players. NEW are probably the most successful club at that.

As said above, once they are graded correctly, they will be fine. I would rather have 7 sides, than struggling to fill 3.

Depends how you look at it. Yeah ok, I get they are not having a great year on field, but there are many positives that they do have, which other clubs are really struggling with. They have a very large senior list, which is a positive. They have a very large junior list, which is a positive. Their players, whilst being unsuccessful on field, are still showing up week in week out, which is a positive.

You look at other clubs that are near the top in their ones, but are struggling to even fill their lower grades. Does that make them a successful club because they have one side in finals? The biggest battle that cricket clubs face is not talent, but actually getting players. NEW are probably the most successful club at that.

As said above, once they are graded correctly, they will be fine. I would rather have 7 sides, than struggling to fill 3.
Agree 100%, to have sides in Barclay and Money shows that they must have been doing something right along the way.

Add a new pavilion worth millions to the scope and it's pretty bright future.

Non-playing coaches are a bit of a luxury. I understand why a club with 7 teams would want a full time coach. Because coordinating/running training is a full time gig on Tuesday Thursdays. Whether captain and coach or otherwise, what they need is a couple of good cricketers to improve their ones and consequently their depth.

They need a decent playing coach as well . A 50 year old non playing coach is not the ideal situation in my opinion

I'd think non playing would have an edge over a playing coach. You don't have to worry about your own game anymore and can concentrate on organising training better while getting around to grounds and seeing how guys go on the field. Age is irrelevant to anyone's coaching ability.

I'd think non playing would have an edge over a playing coach. You don't have to worry about your own game anymore and can concentrate on organising training better while getting around to grounds and seeing how guys go on the field. Age is irrelevant to anyone's coaching ability.

I think this role would be better suited to a non playing assistant coach in my eyes.
How many other DVCA clubs have non playing coaches ? ( only asking as I wouldnt know )

I think this role would be better suited to a non playing assistant coach in my eyes.
How many other DVCA clubs have non playing coaches ? ( only asking as I wouldnt know )

Lower Plenty have one. Lower Eltham sort of one a flag with one. They (successfully) appointed a non A Grade playing coach - he played twos.

At this level it's far easier to get a playing coach than a non playing one. By 50+ most ex players from leagues like ours are probably off playing golf on a Saturday afternoon.

Tongs, if that's the the case you can add us to the list with Lower Eltham. Although, I'm not sure that the division a coach plays within the side has any impact on coaching ability.

Back