2014/15 D Grade And Below

At this level it's far easier to get a playing coach than a non playing one. By 50+ most ex players from leagues like ours are probably off playing golf on a Saturday afternoon.

Tongs, if that's the the case you can add us to the list with Lower Eltham. Although, I'm not sure that the division a coach plays within the side has any impact on coaching ability.

I never said that it does affect their coaching ability. Merely pointing out that their (successful) coach was not the traditional Captain - Coach that we are all used to.

They need a decent playing coach as well . A 50 year old non playing coach is not the ideal situation in my opinion
I think this role would be better suited to a non playing assistant coach in my eyes.
How many other DVCA clubs have non playing coaches ? ( only asking as I wouldnt know )

Me thinks you need a new opinion on this one serge, plenty and creek's last Barclay shield flags were won with non playing coaches too

Me thinks you need a new opinion on this one serge, plenty and creek's last Barclay shield flags were won with non playing coaches too
Doesn't this all come down to the list though?

Not fussed on playing v non-playing coaches and think if anything a non-playing coach is good because they don't have their own form and playing performance to have to worry about.

But, in the case of someone like a North Eltham, perhaps their money would be better spent topping up with a coach who can bolster their ones too.

Or better yet, in the immortal words of Shane Warne "I'm a big believer that the coach is something you travel in to get to and from the game"

Or better yet, in the immortal words of Shane Warne "I'm a big believer that the coach is something you travel in to get to and from the game"

Have a 'like' for that one.

It raises an interesting question though; are coaches required at this level? From my own perspective, I know what I do wrong and I know where I need to improve, they are matters I'm aware of and simply need to work on by myself. No coach is ever going to make me the next Ricky Pointing, as you can't coach someone into talent. I'd imagine that those better than me at this level are even more aware of their strengths and weaknesses. For those lower grade players, I think every club has enough talent to collectively assist/advise/correct those who need it.

Perhaps more than a coach, clubs require a manager.

Last edited:
Have a 'like' for that one.

It raises an interesting question though; are coaches required at this level? From my own perspective, I know what I do wrong and I know where I need to improve, they are matters I'm aware of and simply need to work on by myself. No coach is ever going to make me the next Ricky Pointing, as you can't coach someone into talent. I'd imagine that those better than me at this level are even more aware of their strengths and weaknesses.

Perhaps more than a coach, clubs require a manager.

You'd probably need a psychologist more than a coach wouldn't you Blackhawk? ;)

It would be foolish to think that you don't need a coach. Players of any sport don't get better on their own. They need someone to assist them in areas that they are falling down, especially those that aren't easily identifiable. The reason we are all playing local level is because we have significant flaws in our game. Hence the even more reason why good coaches are worth their weight in gold.

That's not to say that the coaches that local clubs have, are actually good "coaches". In fact, I would say that most captain coaches, whilst they are good cricketers and captains, they're probably rubbish coaches.

So how foolish is it really to think we don't need coaches at this level if you think most of them are rubbish anyway?...and you think I'm the psycho one?!?!

So how foolish is it really to think we don't need coaches at this level if you think most of them are rubbish anyway?...and you think I'm the psycho one?!?!

That actually doesn't make sense.

I said that coaches are very important, especially at our level as we are obviously all not that good. Unfortunately, we rate coaches on their playing and captaining ability. That doesn't make a good coach.

That's not to say that the coaches that local clubs have, are actually good "coaches". In fact, I would say that most captain coaches, whilst they are good cricketers and captains, they're probably rubbish coaches.

I think it's a fair statement to say that most clubs have a playing coach. You've just called them all rubbish coaches. If I use your reasoning here (not mine), you must conclude that a playing coach is pointless and clubs might as well save some money and fire the coach. If they're "probably rubbish", what's the point of having one?

I think it's a fair statement to say that most clubs have a playing coach. You've just called them all rubbish coaches. If I use your reasoning here (not mine), you must conclude that a playing coach is pointless and clubs might as well save some money and fire the coach. If they're "probably rubbish", what's the point of having one?

See my last post.

He is not downplaying the importance of coaching, if you manage to find a good, knowledgable playing coach...then great. It just most playing coaches arent that good.

Unfortunately, we rate coaches on their playing and captaining ability. That doesn't make a good coach.
+1!
With captain coaches, it's the playing record that gets looked at. The other thing is, a club has one coach for a small club that might mean dividing his attention across 3 sides (~40 players) or in NEW case maybe ~90 players. That's not a lot of one on one work. Playing coaches usually have their hands full running training.

"Coaching" doesn't have to come from the coach. I'm a big advocate of tapping someone on the shoulder at training and asking them to watch you bat. It might be reciprocal, and can mean working a bit one on one with them to improve your batting. Most clubs have at least a handful of guys who know a bit about batting. For the average club cricketer you needn't scratch to far from the surface to find one or two things to work on.

I was just watching games today, and I didn't enjoy it because of the weather. Today would've been quite taxing to play. I would've hated it.

I was just watching games today, and I didn't enjoy it because of the weather. Today would've been quite taxing to play. I would've hated it.

I must admit, watching the coin flip through the air as the opposition captain yells tails, for it to land perfectly on a tail, was not the most enjoyable experience.

One of the reason why I'm happy I haven't played this season. Is because if I was playing, like I would be atm, I would be missing watching the WC games. Cracking start to the Aus/NZ game.

We are talking flags. 10 points clear on top of the ladder after round 5.

The team we beat had 11 players. Not our fault that some of them didn't turn up on day 2. Perhaps it's something your club should look at.
How'd you go Warwick? You get a 2nd chance to make up for last year?

Back