2014/2015 Barclay Shield

Great to see Mitch Johnson hit yet another ton this season, the kid can bat! Can't help but think that giving him the captaincy last year was a little too much for him to focus on at such a young age. And rightly so, kids at that age should really be worried about stamping their name on the comp as premier batsmen/bowlers well before worrying about captaincy gigs.

Thoughts on the Twilight games? I thought it was a great idea from the start, and still think so. I was able to hang around and have a couple of drinks at Heidelberg for around 45min, then get back to Eltham to watch the last 10 overs. Its not often lower grades get the opportunity to watch the best of the best at it, and this allows players to do it. Big tick from me.
Thought it was a great idea. Must say though bit of confusion at the beginning with Diamo bowling the first over with the pink ball which included a wicket. After confirmation that the red was the ball to use, the pink was discarded and our day proceeded to go from bad to worse. Even more bizzare was the senior umpire saying he thought the pink ball was bright red and didn't notice the difference.

Thought it was a great idea. Must say though bit of confusion at the beginning with Diamo bowling the first over with the pink ball which included a wicket. After confirmation that the red was the ball to use, the pink was discarded and our day proceeded to go from bad to worse. Even more bizzare was the senior umpire saying he thought the pink ball was bright red and didn't notice the difference.

I did hear about that. For mine, Plenty of people at fault here.

Bowling club/captain - Why did they think they were to use a pink ball? No where was it said to be the case.
Opening batsmen/Batting captain - Why did they allow it?
Umpires - For the same above reasons.

Just out of interest Brutal. Who was the only intelligent person to stop the game and get the balls swapped, and to play devils advocate, would that same person have stepped up had there not been a wicket fall? And I am no way suggesting anything, just wondering how the hell this happens?

Great to see Mitch Johnson hit yet another ton this season, the kid can bat! Can't help but think that giving him the captaincy last year was a little too much for him to focus on at such a young age. And rightly so, kids at that age should really be worried about stamping their name on the comp as premier batsmen/bowlers well before worrying about captaincy gigs.

Thoughts on the Twilight games? I thought it was a great idea from the start, and still think so. I was able to hang around and have a couple of drinks at Heidelberg for around 45min, then get back to Eltham to watch the last 10 overs. Its not often lower grades get the opportunity to watch the best of the best at it, and this allows players to do it. Big tick from me.

I think that the DVCA Exec breathed a collective sigh of relief when they woke on Saturday morning to a perfect blue sky day with perfect seeing conditions. Two weeks earlier, would have been a lot of games called at 65 overs.

Great for the home clubs, bar sales ticking all day.

Dicky must get very confused when he plays pool.

Farce - surely the ball is thrown in to the abyss and the game is restarted. 'Very' senior umpire - uninformed or eyesight going?

I did hear about that. For mine, Plenty of people at fault here.

Bowling club/captain - Why did they think they were to use a pink ball? No where was it said to be the case.
Opening batsmen/Batting captain - Why did they allow it?
Umpires - For the same above reasons.

Just out of interest Brutal. Who was the only intelligent person to stop the game and get the balls swapped, and to play devils advocate, would that same person have stepped up had there not been a wicket fall? And I am no way suggesting anything, just wondering how the hell this happens?
The game was due to start and the Diamo guys had forgot to bring there ball onto the ground. They didn't have scorer so yelled out to is to grab there match ball out of the scorebook satchel. The only ball in there was a pink one, we asked if they were sure that pink balls were to be used and they said yes. I asked our captain and he said that we were told red balls. At this time I thought Dickie was up to speed. Anyway they were adamant to use pink ball. In the meantime I decided to ring Joe Flemming and he said, definitely to use red balls and that all clubs and umpires knew this. He then asked who the umpires were and I told him Dickie and a first gamer. His response was what the hell (words to that effect) is Dickie doing, he knew to use a red ball. Anyways by the time we got word out to Diamo skipper and umps a wicket had already fallen. Joes response was to swap the ball and when I questioned about the wicket, he said the game can't restart and just to let things stand. Not too sure if that's exactly how the rules work as I can remember losing a game due to incorrect ball being used. That's it in a nutshell. The rest of the day was horrendous.

Yeh, looked at the scorecard....that's a long day. You might have done better with the pink ball :)
The disappointing thing is that it doesn't come down to lack of ability, just lack of effort. Diamo bowling wasn't anything to blast you out. It was honest and I think I can only think of 2 wickets that would go anywhere near good balls getting a wicket. The rest were batsman error and embarrassing at that. Anyway we'll see what awaits next Satirday.

The game was due to start and the Diamo guys had forgot to bring there ball onto the ground. They didn't have scorer so yelled out to is to grab there match ball out of the scorebook satchel. The only ball in there was a pink one, we asked if they were sure that pink balls were to be used and they said yes. I asked our captain and he said that we were told red balls. At this time I thought Dickie was up to speed. Anyway they were adamant to use pink ball. In the meantime I decided to ring Joe Flemming and he said, definitely to use red balls and that all clubs and umpires knew this. He then asked who the umpires were and I told him Dickie and a first gamer. His response was what the hell (words to that effect) is Dickie doing, he knew to use a red ball. Anyways by the time we got word out to Diamo skipper and umps a wicket had already fallen. Joes response was to swap the ball and when I questioned about the wicket, he said the game can't restart and just to let things stand. Not too sure if that's exactly how the rules work as I can remember losing a game due to incorrect ball being used. That's it in a nutshell. The rest of the day was horrendous.

I am still baffled as to how this happens, but as I said earlier. Whilst yes, the umpires should rule on any decision that may be in dispute, there are two others at fault here. Diamond Creek for believing that they were to use the pink ball, but Research for allowing it to happen. I wouldn't have faced up until clarification was sort.

Maybe next week, take out a marble to bowl with. You might run through them and get a reverse outright.

I am still baffled as to how this happens, but as I said earlier. Whilst yes, the umpires should rule on any decision that may be in dispute, there are two others at fault here. Diamond Creek for believing that they were to use the pink ball, but Research for allowing it to happen. I wouldn't have faced up until clarification was sort.

Maybe next week, take out a marble to bowl with. You might run through them and get a reverse outright.

If they had started with a pink ball and I was captain of the batting side, I would have made them continue with pink or start the innings again (especially after losing a wicket!) I've actually played a game when we started with an old ball as the capt forgot to bring it!! it turned up in over 2, we weren't allowed to swap balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you play with what you start with.

If they had started with a pink ball and I was captain of the batting side, I would have made them continue with pink or start the innings again (especially after losing a wicket!) I've actually played a game when we started with an old ball as the capt forgot to bring it!! it turned up in over 2, we weren't allowed to swap balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you play with what you start with.

Whilst I tend to agree, I wouldn't have faced a ball. Or demanded the game start again. Not in the case that the ball is the completely wrong colour, can you just continue with the same ball.

Brutal - How long into the game was it when the ball was changed? And was there an attempt to start the game again?

We aren't talking umpire error here again surely!!! Get off the fence tongs. Call it one way or the other. Don't have 33.3333333334 cents on 3 different people/organisations who got it wrong!! The umpire is given the ball at the start of the day and hands it to the bowler just before play begins yeh? Umpire's fault! Stuey is probably right. Batsman should have been recalled and game started again! Farce....

Whilst I tend to agree, I wouldn't have faced a ball. Or demanded the game start again. Not in the case that the ball is the completely wrong colour, can you just continue with the same ball.

Brutal - How long into the game was it when the ball was changed? And was there an attempt to start the game again?
If my memory serves me correct, the ball was changed following the fall of the first wicket and into the 3rd over. That's when Joe confirmed use of red ball.

We aren't talking umpire error here again surely!!! Get off the fence tongs. Call it one way or the other. Don't have 33.3333333334 cents on 3 different people/organisations who got it wrong!! The umpire is given the ball at the start of the day and hands it to the bowler just before play begins yeh? Umpire's fault! Stuey is probably right. Batsman should have been recalled and game started again! Farce....
Umpiring not to blame but was one shocker with batsmen given out after ball came off thigh pad and lobbed in front of first slip where keeper caught it. Blatant error but par for the course these days.

Did you try to get the game restarted?
The question was asked but the information provided to me was that the game could not be restarted and to get Diamo to change ball ASAP. We also tried to check the rules re incorrect ball use but it doesn't mention penalties.

Although not in DVCA rule book, the laws of cricket state if the wrong ball has been used you must Re start the innings with all scores and wickets cancelled.
Agree with 2bob farcical for this to happen. umpires at fault as they are in control of game. Diamo at fault but not to blame for the game starting with wrong ball.

Back