2014/2015 Barclay Shield

A bit off topic but does anybody know what the outlook for round 1 is next season since the afl grand final is on October 3? Therefore meaning only 6 games would get play prior to Christmas if oct 10 is day 1 round 1

A bit off topic but does anybody know what the outlook for round 1 is next season since the afl grand final is on October 3? Therefore meaning only 6 games would get play prior to Christmas if oct 10 is day 1 round 1

Did I hear that we would be playing round 1 on the Sunday after the Grand Final?

Bloody AFL. Can't they just start the same week as the World Cup grand final and simply not play a game at the MCG or on the Sunday. As for us, playing the Sunday after has disaster written all over it, so they might as well extend the season by 1 week.

Not always ideal - and maybe not covenient for all grades - but you can always throw in a Sunday ! Otherwise, 8 x two-day games and 3 x one-day games (making a 19 game day fixture rather than the stock-standard 20) could be an option. The draw is already compromised with who you play in the two fixtured one-dayers, so is it a big deal if there is a third ?

Not always ideal - and maybe not covenient for all grades - but you can always throw in a Sunday ! Otherwise, 8 x two-day games and 3 x one-day games (making a 19 game day fixture rather than the stock-standard 20) could be an option. The draw is already compromised with who you play in the two fixtured one-dayers, so is it a big deal if there is a third ?

The last thing that the DVCA want to do is to cut the season short by a week. If you cut that week back, footy clubs will get a sniff and swallow that week up and you'll never get it back. Not to mention, we should be trying to play as much cricket as possible. Not less. I know that most don't want to play Sunday's, but we may not have a choice.

Whilst it's not ideal that we play two one day games, I wouldn't say its "compromised".

The last thing that the DVCA want to do is to cut the season short by a week. If you cut that week back, footy clubs will get a sniff and swallow that week up and you'll never get it back. Not to mention, we should be trying to play as much cricket as possible. Not less. I know that most don't want to play Sunday's, but we may not have a choice.

Whilst it's not ideal that we play two one day games, I wouldn't say its "compromised".

I don't think Footy Clubs will take liberties of one week - the AFL season will revert back to normal without the Cricket World Cup next season and the AFL Grand Final will be on the last Saturday in September.

In regard to the "Compromised" draw - I only mean it as the 'luck of the draw' each season on who plays who in the one-dayers when teams are getting beaten outright. Of course, no one knows who will be the struggling teams at the start of the season and whether rain/heat will play a part over the course of a season.

I feel like in this circumstance, the logical thing would be to kick off a week later with a double header 1 dayer in the higher grades BS, MS, B, C.

Not sure how to handle the lower grades, F and lower kick off the week later anyway.

From all reports riverside have missed out on Nick Austin. Apparently he is confirmed to lead eltham next season if they make it to Barclay.

Tongs... Any truth?

From all reports riverside have missed out on Nick Austin. Apparently he is confirmed to lead eltham next season if they make it to Barclay.

Tongs... Any truth?

100% Completely made up. Standard Eltham involvement in rumours

Last edited:
You still haven't answered the question tongs. Have you called Nick Austin yourself and spoken to him about a move eltham.

I'm pretty sure I answered your very first post?

I have no idea what you're on about, but if he's available, I'd be more than happy for him to call me any time he wants.

It is a fact u have called him twice.

And it is fact he said call me when your in Barclay shield.

Stop it with the lies.

And a coward would block me from this page for stating the facts.

I haven't blocked you, nor will I. I've got nothing to hide.

But your "facts" as you call them, are not facts at all. Just like every other season I go through this crap.

May as well get on the front foot, bowled out for 102...

Looking forward to reading the C grade and below forum in 15/16 ;)

*** only replying on Barclay forum as this where the discussion started.

Tongs... Any truth?
If it helps Tongs, I heard from someone who spoke to his old man this morning, that will be at Riverside next season. I did however hear that Callum Still may be at Panther place next season.

Back