2016/2017 Mash Shield

I felt for the boys because they are trying to win their spots back in the 2nd's and on the other hand playing against people who are either new to cricket, kids or blokes who just aren't very good.

Sounds like they got the opportunity to go seal clubbing. Pitch up, bowl straight and take a bag. Selection committees generally aren't smart enough to see that someone has knocked over a bunch of potatoes, so they'll be straight back to the 2's.

That grade will end up a cemetery for a number of clubs.
Yup. Don't know what the answer is, but as a club you would not want to spend very long playing in this grade. Outright results are usually a pretty good marker of a grade, and by that metric this grade is sh!t. Three sides have lost outright 10 times between them.

Yup. Don't know what the answer is, but as a club you would not want to spend very long playing in this grade. Outright results are usually a pretty good marker of a grade, and by that metric this grade is sh!t. Three sides have lost outright 10 times between them.

And how hard will it be to get out of the grade, recruitment would be a nightmare! No one would want to come play for you!

Depends on how they are recruiting I suppose. If it's with cash, well Riverside's is just as good as Laurimar's, so I don't think that would be a problem. I keep hearing that playing xx grade will be the death of clubs, but each year, someone has to win it and someone has to finish last. Club's don't fold just because they are not experiencing on field success, in fact, most volunteer organisations fold through lack of people putting up their hand to help out off the field.

Depends on how they are recruiting I suppose. If it's with cash, well Riverside's is just as good as Laurimar's, so I don't think that would be a problem. I keep hearing that playing xx grade will be the death of clubs, but each year, someone has to win it and someone has to finish last. Club's don't fold just because they are not experiencing on field success, in fact, most volunteer organisations fold through lack of people putting up their hand to help out off the field.
WRT paying players. Lets compare Austin, Salm and Rosbrook to the "pros" floating around in Mash shall we? You don't attract top players to your club if its languishing in the bottom tier.

In a broader sense. Due to demographic reasons, player walkouts, new clubs etc, small playing lists you would say most of the clubs in Mash have all been struggling in recent years (including whittlesea to come down).

I think the most challenging thing is how will sides go after winning it and going up to Money. Gut feel says the gap between Mash-Money is larger than Money-Barclay.

WRT paying players. Lets compare Austin, Salm and Rosbrook to the "pros" floating around in Mash shall we? You don't attract top players to your club if its languishing in the bottom tier.

In a broader sense. Due to demographic reasons, player walkouts, new clubs etc, small playing lists you would say most of the clubs in Mash have all been struggling in recent years (including whittlesea to come down).

I think the most challenging thing is how will sides go after winning it and going up to Money. Gut feel says the gap between Mash-Money is larger than Money-Barclay.

You can attract top players if you're paying. My point is that these guys sell themselves to the highest bidder, if you have cash to play in that area then where you are on the ladder is irrelevant. If you don't have that kind of money to be reckless with, then target mid tier players, plenty of them around then put some money into a decent coach to make them great players.

Some of the clubs in Mash shouldn't be struggling, they are in pretty good locations that will only grow in the next 10 years. I look at our club, about 5 of us actually live in Bundoora, half our playing list lives in Doreen or Diamond Creek!

It's always challenging going up a grade, but if you can stick it out the first year, you're cricket will only benefit.

does anyone really care about any of the mash shield clubs? there all irrelevant
Picking two semi final winners here is tough.
Thommo Utd have stormed into contention and face a Greensborough side that were the pacesetters until stumbling a few weeks back. One win each this season with the most recent being an easy Thommo win. I'll have to go with them again.
Mill Park v Panton Hill, last time they met in round 12 PH won easily in a 1 day game yet back in round 6 MP smashed PH outright in a 2 day game.
So a total gut call here, I think Panton Hill's best is better than Mill Park's best so going with PH.

Again, Mash Shield G/F at Bundoora regardless of who is playing.
Whats wrong with waiting until Monday night when both G/Finalists are known and deciding then???
I do think any of the 4 competing clubs would mind seeing all their efforts would be focussed on this weekends S/Finals.

Looks like a Mill Park vs. Greensborough GF. Will be a very difficult task to decide which of the two sides I will have to sledge more next weekend.

Both sides are overflowing with w@nkers.

Well done to Mill Park and Greensborough on making it to the G/F.
I have to disagree with the comments about this being a dud grade. Certainly the bottom 3 were well down but the top 5 were even and competitive throughtout the year.
Nonetheless this is a G/F and should be a great game with the late season chargers MP versus the early season pacesetters in Greensie.
And after bagging the DVCA they got lucky with Bundoora as the venue half way between the two sides which is fair for both clubs.

Finally am not sure what the medal is for Mash Shield but I do expect it to go to Thomas Stoneham of Mill Park. Great season.

You can attract top players if you're paying. My point is that these guys sell themselves to the highest bidder, if you have cash to play in that area then where you are on the ladder is irrelevant. If you don't have that kind of money to be reckless with, then target mid tier players, plenty of them around then put some money into a decent coach to make them great players.

Some of the clubs in Mash shouldn't be struggling, they are in pretty good locations that will only grow in the next 10 years. I look at our club, about 5 of us actually live in Bundoora, half our playing list lives in Doreen or Diamond Creek!

It's always challenging going up a grade, but if you can stick it out the first year, you're cricket will only benefit.

I think we disagree on a couple of points. The best players run around in the top grade. You might manage to get a gun in the lower grades by paying a premium, but that isn't sustainable. It not about where you are on the ladder, it's where you are in the comp. Who are the guns at Mill Park & Gborough. How do they compare with the guns at Riverside and Macleod? Money is not the difference between these clubs.

"then target mid tier players, plenty of them around then put some money into a decent coach to make them great players."
I play at a club with great coaches, but they haven't turned mid tier players into great players.

"It's always challenging going up a grade, but if you can stick it out the first year, you're cricket will only benefit."
Agree. Establishing your club at the next level is a great challenge. And takes longer than a year too.

Back