2016/2017 Money Shield

It's a pretty simple equation now. Eltham need to take the game as deep as possible into day two. The longer they bat, and if they're patient, they give themselves the best chance they have of getting the runs. For Eltham to win, they need to bat the day.

Well they batted all day and lost by 53 runs, with 2 wickets still in hand. Eltham's top order never really made an effort to go after the runs. They followed Tongs' advice and thought if they batted all day they would win.

Their unbeaten 9th wicket stand of 58 showed that the runs could be made, if batsmen had a go. I reckon their top order would be kicking themselves today with their negative attitude toward the run chase.

Having said that, Monty played a great game. Batted slowly before tea, had wickets in hand for a slog in the last hour and then bowled tightly on day 2. Always a winning formula in DVCA.

Surely you'd swing the bat and not die wondering in that situation. If you had to lose, I'd rather get bowled out having a crack than just meekly surrendering the game with wickets still in hand.

Surely you'd swing the bat and not die wondering in that situation. If you had to lose, I'd rather get bowled out having a crack than just meekly surrendering the game with wickets still in hand.
Agree totally. Don't see the point in an honourable loss in a GF. So with all that in mind, where do people see Eltham going from here? Will Glen Turner stay? 1/100 and 7 runs just adds to a lower than expected output I'd imagine. Will O'Connor go on? Will Paine try another season? Do they just stick with the younger guys, save some cash and try develop a Diamond Creek system of building a side for 10 years.

Does seem a bit bizarre to only be 8 down but its hard to know the ebbs and flows of the game without being there. Looks like they got off to a pretty decent start but stalled in the middle order and were always going to find it hard chasing a mounting run rate rather than maintaining one. Not sure what the aforementioned will be doing but if a Diamond Creek system was easily achievable i think everyone would follow suit, you can't exactly manufacture talent.

Certainly didnt have Mont winning it this year although tipping the Money Shield Premier hasnt been an easy task in recent times, finishing on top has become a curse rather than a reward. Good to see their young homegrown bats contributing but i think theyll need to do some further recruiting if they want to contend in BS. They should probably resign Shaman as well he was pretty serviceable at times...

I think its interesting that some are saying they're surprised Eltham didn't have a crack and shouldn't die wondering. I am sure every batsmen did what they could to win the game, they weren't batting to win averages. To be honest I think its pretty disrespectful towards the Monty boys, who did a stellar job with the ball and in the field. Its not so much that Eltham lost the game for themselves with the way they batted, its Monty who won it with a fantastic game plan that was well executed. Congratulations to them.

Just goes to show you what a funny sport cricket is. On the last day of the season, Monty were 6th on the ladder. Now they're premiers. Incredible effort by them, thoroughly deserved.

Agree totally. Don't see the point in an honourable loss in a GF. So with all that in mind, where do people see Eltham going from here? Will Glen Turner stay? 1/100 and 7 runs just adds to a lower than expected output I'd imagine. Will O'Connor go on? Will Paine try another season? Do they just stick with the younger guys, save some cash and try develop a Diamond Creek system of building a side for 10 years.

I am obviously out of the loop, but to answer as much as I know.
Turner - Will 100% stay. (And don't just write he took 1/100, it was off 35 overs nearly straight)
O'Connor - Will play on.
Chippa - Is likely to move overseas indefinitely. But he didn't really play this year anyway.

To be honest, they don't need to change anything drastically. They've got one old bloke in the team, in O'Connor. Who held his own for the year. So they're building a good side and future. They'll learn from this, hope to pick up a player or two to strengthen the list again, and just be better next year.

First and foremost, this isn't an attack on Eltham C.C. Just stating the facts, a lot of clubs would love to be in a position like E.C.C knowing that regular March cricket for the senior team is expected. However, you can't hide behind the facts and Eltham have become perennial losers when it comes to playing finals cricket and for mine that mindset and losing culture can be attributed your core group and to the people in charge.

To a certain extent I agree with the notion that "It's not all about winning premierships in local sport", but we all know why money is spent (rightly or wrongly) on players and why volunteers put in all the work they do, to add to the trophy cabinet and enjoy the spoils of winning flags.

13/14 - GF Loss
14/15 - SF Loss at Home
15/16 - SF Loss at Home
16/17 - GF Loss

To continually fail at the last hurdle like they have above to me highlights to me that they are missing 1 or key senior 2 blokes to take them the next level. Whoever gets the job at Eltham would hope to have premiership experience at some level.

First and foremost, this isn't an attack on Eltham C.C. Just stating the facts, a lot of clubs would love to be in a position like E.C.C knowing that regular March cricket for the senior team is expected. However, you can't hide behind the facts and Eltham have become perennial losers when it comes to playing finals cricket and for mine that mindset and losing culture can be attributed your core group and to the people in charge.

To a certain extent I agree with the notion that "It's not all about winning premierships in local sport", but we all know why money is spent (rightly or wrongly) on players and why volunteers put in all the work they do, to add to the trophy cabinet and enjoy the spoils of winning flags.

13/14 - GF Loss
14/15 - SF Loss at Home
15/16 - SF Loss at Home
16/17 - GF Loss

To continually fail at the last hurdle like they have above to me highlights to me that they are missing 1 or key senior 2 blokes to take them the next level. Whoever gets the job at Eltham would hope to have premiership experience at some level.
You wouldn't know it playing against them, you'd be certain they must win it every year. They were blessed to have one of the best bats the comp has seen but come March he had no mates. Paired with Gibbsy who was dominant with ball but it was left to too few. They have obviously got the recipe right to get to March but teams seem to be able to make on bigger scores against them than they concede on average during the year. They probably need a strike bowler, bear in mind Chippa started the season off well before getting injured. If he is going to be overseas they may have to look at recruiting a bowler that can take a side apart rather than tie down an end

13/14 - GF Loss
14/15 - SF Loss at Home
15/16 - SF Loss at Home
16/17 - GF Loss

I heard skips was heading back next year to play with Turner after Turner agreed to half his wage with him. Could that be enough to go one step further next year?

Tongs Tongs I heard skips was heading back next year to play with Turner after Turner agreed to half his wage with him. Could that be enough to go one step further next year?

I don't think Skips will be back next year, he's really enjoying playing with his son. So I think he'll have at least one more year up there. But if he were to come back, I'm sure he'd be welcomed back with open arms.

After a bit of an unlucky year, it's nice to see our MS guys get the Spirit of Cricket award.

Going down a grade due to punishment, and having a few players not available till Christmas is not "Unlucky", its poor management on both accounts.

But congratulations to Curtin and the boys in the 1s. Whilst its not finals or a flag, being recognised as what is really, an award for being a bunch of good blokes who play hard and fair cricket is something to be proud of.

Back