21/22 Shield Thread

Richie

Staff member
At the beginning of the intrusive BBL into the Shield season this was the state of play:

Last edited:
CA has pulled a swifty by reducing the Shield rounds for the second year running. They will probably use the excuse of border closures or BBL rescheduling. The Vics, Blues and WA have been slugged three matches, Tas, SA will lose two while the Bulls will inexplicably play 9 matches. This is showing disrespect to an iconic competition and a please explain should be demanded of CA and WA Premier McGowan..

Second Round Matches:
Feb 9-12: South Australia v Victoria, Adelaide Oval
Feb 9-12: Queensland v New South Wales, Gabba
Feb 18-21: Victoria v Queensland, CitiPower Centre
Feb 18-21: New South Wales v Tasmania, SCG
Mar 2-5: Queensland v South Australia, Gabba
Mar 15-18: New South Wales v Western Australia, Bankstown Oval
Mar 15-18: Victoria v Tasmania, CitiPower Centre
Mar 23-26: Western Australia v Victoria, WACA Ground
Mar 23-26: South Australia v New South Wales, Karen Rolton Oval
Mar 23-26: Tasmania v Queensland, Blundstone Arena

Final

Mar 31-Apr 4: TBC v TBC, TBC*

Last edited:
Victoria squad v South Australia: Peter Handscomb (c), Scott Boland, Travis Dean, Sam Harper, Marcus Harris, Jon Holland, Nic Maddinson, Jono Merlo, Todd Murphy, Mitch Perry, Will Pucovski, Matt Short, Will Sutherland, Henry Thornton

Queensland squad v NSW: Usman Khawaja (c), Xavier Bartlett, James Bazley, Joe Burns, Blake Edwards, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street, Mitchell Swepson, Jack Wildermuth

South Australia squad v Victoria: Travis Head (c), Alex Carey (vc/wk), Jake Carder, Brendan Doggett, Daniel Drew, David Grant, Henry Hunt, Nathan McAndrew, Lloyd Pope, Liam Scott, Jake Weatherald, Nick Winter

NSW squad v Queensland: Daniel Hughes (c), Harry Conway, Trent Copeland, Jack Edwards, Matthew Gilkes, Ryan Hackney, Ryan Hadley, Baxter Holt, Hayden Kerr, Jason Sangha, Tanveer Sangha, Chris Tremain

Good on rookies Ryan Hackney and Ryan Hadley for making their first Blues squad. But where is Lachlan Hearne? Glad to see Chris Tremain where he belongs..leading our attack.
Not one of the Blues Test boys playing in the only Shield game allowed them. Their only red ball prep for the Pakistan tour. Heck CA why do you always put white ball ahead of red ball. Winning a Test series on the sub continent is surely more important than a home T20 series. For one, Josh Hazlewood needs a solid hit out after missing all but one match of the Ashes.. not a few piddling T20 overs.

Victoria squad v South Australia: Peter Handscomb (c), Scott Boland, Travis Dean, Sam Harper, Marcus Harris, Jon Holland, Nic Maddinson, Jono Merlo, Todd Murphy, Mitch Perry, Will Pucovski, Matt Short, Will Sutherland, Henry Thornton

Queensland squad v NSW: Usman Khawaja (c), Xavier Bartlett, James Bazley, Joe Burns, Blake Edwards, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street, Mitchell Swepson, Jack Wildermuth

South Australia squad v Victoria: Travis Head (c), Alex Carey (vc/wk), Jake Carder, Brendan Doggett, Daniel Drew, David Grant, Henry Hunt, Nathan McAndrew, Lloyd Pope, Liam Scott, Jake Weatherald, Nick Winter

NSW squad v Queensland: Daniel Hughes (c), Harry Conway, Trent Copeland, Jack Edwards, Matthew Gilkes, Ryan Hackney, Ryan Hadley, Baxter Holt, Hayden Kerr, Jason Sangha, Tanveer Sangha, Chris Tremain

Good on rookies Ryan Hackney and Ryan Hadley for making their first Blues squad. But where is Lachlan Hearne? Glad to see Chris Tremain where he belongs..leading our attack.
Not one of the Blues Test boys playing in the only Shield game allowed them. Their only red ball prep for the Pakistan tour. Heck CA why do you always put white ball ahead of red ball. Winning a Test series on the sub continent is surely more important than a home T20 series. For one, Josh Hazlewood needs a solid hit out after missing all but one match of the Ashes.. not a few piddling T20 overs.

Ummm yeah bit going atm with our NSW based test players atm

But yeah I agree would of been good for Hazelwood to get a shield game in

Also where is Kurtis Patterson ???

Ummm yeah bit going atm with our NSW based test players atm

But yeah I agree would of been good for Hazelwood to get a shield game in

Also where is Kurtis Patterson ???
Good to see you Westie. Patterson is injured.. broke a finger in BBL

You know something I dont re Blues players. Figured they were not playing shield because they were chosen for the Lankan T20 Int. series.

Good to see you Westie. Patterson is injured.. broke a finger in BBL

You know something I dont re Blues players. Figured they were not playing shield because they were chosen for the Lankan T20 Int. series.

Oh thats right I forget BBL final....i rate patterson good player hope to see him back soon

Yeah i know the NSW based test players cummins smith starc hazelwood playinh t20

warner has been given a rest. i can understand but ....Lyon ???? surely he could be playing a shield game ?? especially with NSW struggling and being light on experience ??

Why is WA not playing in the first and second rounds. McGowan still not permitting players to travel. Reason they are both bye rounds.?
Jyhe will play for WA any new names added to the squad I can keep an eye on?

Why is WA not playing in the first and second rounds. McGowan still not permitting players to travel. Reason they are both bye rounds.?
Jyhe will play for WA any new names added to the squad I can keep an eye on?

Border still shut two weeks quarantine still but today close contacts down to seven days.......so hoping borders get opened soon in march

WA played more games so far along with the border thats why they are on a bye... we are scheduled to play NSW at bankstown oval on the 15 march then 23 of march against VIC

New names to look out for Lance Morris....he is quick

Young Jayden Goodwin son of Murray.....nice compact young player just starting

What is your view over the sacking of JL. I dont go into the politics of cricket so have little idea of what goes on off the paddock. You?

Its a Disgrace
The one constant I have been reading is that JL appears to have lost dressing room support. Was that because of his passion for the Baggy Green. Was he a touch too heavy with players who may not have wanted to toe the patriotic line quite as much as he did.

This may be borne out in what former coach John Buchanan wrote about how the senior players baulked over wanting to tour the West Indies and Bangladesh last year and stay in another Covid security bubble in a foreign country. Evidently Jl tried to persuade them by playing the patriotic card saying wearing the Baggy Green cap meant you play all formats without question. I agree 100% with him. It is a massive honor to wear the Baggy Green. Some of these senior players are pampered, over paid and petulant when told to do something they dont want to do.

Last edited:
Victoria X1 : Marcus Harris, Will Pucovski, Nic Maddinson, Peter Handscomb (c), Matt Short, Jonathan Merlo, Sam Harper (wk), Will Sutherland, Mitchell Perry, Scott Boland, Jon Holland

South Australia X1: Henry Hunt, Jake Weatherald, Jake Carder, Travis Head (c), Daniel Drew, Alex Carey (wk), Liam Scott, Nathan McAndrew, David Grant, Brendan Doggett, Lloyd Pope

Queensland X1: Usman Khawaja (c), James Bazley, Joe Burns, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street, Mitchell Swepson, Jack Wildermuth

NSW X1: Daniel Hughes (c), Harry Conway, Trent Copeland, Jack Edwards, Ryan Hackney, Lachlan Hearne, Baxter Holt, Hayden Kerr, Jason Sangha, Tanveer Sangha, Chris Tremain

Fine weather at both venues. Plenty of green on the Gabba deck while Adelaide Oval looks its usual batting friendly self this time of the season.
Usman Khawaja is back as opener for the Bulls. Interesting. Henry Thornton another Blues reject misses selection for the Vic X1.

Last edited:
The Blues/Bulls match has been a low scoring thriller. At tea with only 17 to win the match, do the Blues now have it in the bag?
In the other match the South Aussies are taking the ascendancy here on day three.

Last edited:
Baby Blues win in a nail biter. This was not an easy deck on which to bat so this bunch of kids digging deep when the chips were down augurs well for the future. Most impressive were Lachlan Hearne and Baxter Holt. A special mention for Chris Tremain. Dead set Tremmers looked a batsman in this match and led the attack expertly. I see improvement going forward for both Jason Sangha and Jack Edwards.

Last edited:
A mention to Blues Metro for coming from behind in its 2nd X1 match against Tassie.
If this is an yardstick for the depth of New South cricket then it is in a very good place going forward.

Just a word on Tim Ward.. the Sydney born cricketer who was ignored by our crap selectors and was forced to move interstate. He scored 139 and 64 to keep the Apple Islanders in the contest. Top news that he remains in form in time for the resumption of the shield.

Last edited:
News thru that Will Pucovski has suffered yet another concussion. This may mean the end for the young bloke. What a shame. Reckon he was cursed at birth.

BLUES: Matthew Gilkes, Ryan Hackney, Kurtis Patterson (c), Jack Edwards, Jason Sangha, Hayden Kerr, Peter Nevill (wk), Chris Tremain, Trent Copeland, Harry Conway, Tanveer Sangha

TAS: Tim Ward, Caleb Jewell, Eamonn Vines, Mac Wright, Jake Doran (wk), Beau Webster (c), Nivethan Radhakrishnan, Tom Andrews, Jackson Bird, Sam Rainbird, Peter Siddle

No Lawrence Neil-Smith in the Tassie attack? Couple of surprises in their batting tho.. Tassie really giving ex New South guys a crack at state cricket with Nivethan Radhakrishnan another to debut. Good to see our skipper back. Selectors keep picking Gilkes when he is averaging a paltry @15 for the season. Prefer they recalled Solway.

VIC: Marcus Harris, Travis Dean, Peter Handscomb (c), Nic Maddinson, Matt Short, Sam Harper (wk), James Pattinson, Will Sutherland, Mitchell Perry, Scott Boland, Jon Holland

QLD: Joe Burns, Bryce Street, Matthew Renshaw, Jack Clayton, Sam Truloff, Jimmy Peirson (c) (wk), Gurinder Sandhu, James Bazley, Mark Steketee, Mitch Swepson, Matt Kuhnemann

Back