21/22 Shield Thread

Victoria squad v South Australia: Peter Handscomb (c), Scott Boland, Travis Dean, Sam Harper, Marcus Harris, Jon Holland, Nic Maddinson, Jono Merlo, Todd Murphy, Mitch Perry, Will Pucovski, Matt Short, Will Sutherland, Henry Thornton

Queensland squad v NSW: Usman Khawaja (c), Xavier Bartlett, James Bazley, Joe Burns, Blake Edwards, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street, Mitchell Swepson, Jack Wildermuth

South Australia squad v Victoria: Travis Head (c), Alex Carey (vc/wk), Jake Carder, Brendan Doggett, Daniel Drew, David Grant, Henry Hunt, Nathan McAndrew, Lloyd Pope, Liam Scott, Jake Weatherald, Nick Winter

NSW squad v Queensland: Daniel Hughes (c), Harry Conway, Trent Copeland, Jack Edwards, Matthew Gilkes, Ryan Hackney, Ryan Hadley, Baxter Holt, Hayden Kerr, Jason Sangha, Tanveer Sangha, Chris Tremain

Good on rookies Ryan Hackney and Ryan Hadley for making their first Blues squad. But where is Lachlan Hearne? Glad to see Chris Tremain where he belongs..leading our attack.
Not one of the Blues Test boys playing in the only Shield game allowed them. Their only red ball prep for the Pakistan tour. Heck CA why do you always put white ball ahead of red ball. Winning a Test series on the sub continent is surely more important than a home T20 series. For one, Josh Hazlewood needs a solid hit out after missing all but one match of the Ashes.. not a few piddling T20 overs.
Was great to see Daniel Drew make a ton in his second shield match, coming in under pressure following Travis Head and Carey failing.

Baby Blues win in a nail biter. This was not an easy deck on which to bat so this bunch of kids digging deep when the chips were down augurs well for the future. Most impressive were Lachlan Hearne and Baxter Holt. A special mention for Chris Tremain. Dead set Tremmers looked a batsman in this match and led the attack expertly. I see improvement going forward for both Jason Sangha and Jack Edwards.
I love tracks that offer help to the seamers. Might be my bias from bowling quick for years, but it makes for exciting cricket when no side scores 300 in either innings.

Pucovski may be lost to the game unfortunately. In a better situation, we would Have Phillip Hughes and Will Pucovski as our test openers.
With respect to the late Phil Hughes.. he was not in same street as Pucovski.

I have the shield thread open if you have time . Sorry. Figured the Pucovski post came from baggy green thread.

Last edited:
Was great to see Daniel Drew make a ton in his second shield match, coming in under pressure following Travis Head and Carey failing.
Impressive knock by Drew. I am a stickler for giving the home grown product a crack before the import. Far too often in past SACA has gone interstate to fill its roster when it has fine cricketers in SA. Drew is a prime example of this. Now I expect to see him as a regular at least till the end of this season.

Agree 100%. Bat fests spoil Test cricket.. leave them for the hit & giggle stuff. So you played a bit of cricket Jinglebells32 Jinglebells32 what level?
Not overly high. One memory was my first and last match for Adelaide district cricket club's B grade back around 1993. I came in to bat with us 9 for 103 against West Torrens. I was lucky enough to get a few away and put on 100 for the last wicket with a young quick Jason Gillespie.
We then took 3 wickets each in a first innings win. Back at the bar, I shouted Dizzy a beer and the captain came over and told us both to forget about our bowling and concentrate on our batting.
I ran into Dizzy a few years later after he's broken his leg, running into Steve Waugh. He asked what the hell happened to me and I told him that I'd gone back to Adelaide Turf competition. I asked about his quick turn around to test star within 2 years. He told me that the following week at training, he had gone off the long run and bounced the crap out of coach Paul Nobes and was into the state squad a month later.

Not overly high. One memory was my first and last match for Adelaide district cricket club's B grade back around 1993. I came in to bat with us 9 for 103 against West Torrens. I was lucky enough to get a few away and put on 100 for the last wicket with a young quick Jason Gillespie.
We then took 3 wickets each in a first innings win. Back at the bar, I shouted Dizzy a beer and the captain came over and told us both to forget about our bowling and concentrate on our batting.
I ran into Dizzy a few years later after he's broken his leg, running into Steve Waugh. He asked what the hell happened to me and I told him that I'd gone back to Adelaide Turf competition. I asked about his quick turn around to test star within 2 years. He told me that the following week at training, he had gone off the long run and bounced the crap out of coach Paul Nobes and was into the state squad a month later.
Fab anecdote. I am thinking that may have been about the time after Dizzy finished at the Adelaide Academy and was then approached (dare I say poached) by SACA to play for SA. My son played for the same southern Sydney junior club as Jason.

Last edited:
Tassie quicks on top against the young Blues line up.
Yes. After years of whinging about holding onto blokes for too long and not giving youth a crack at state level.. we finally have some young players. And to be brutally honest.. most seem lost at this level. I do have hope for Ryan Hackney and Lachlan Hearne tho.

Fab anecdote. I expect Dizzie had just joined Adelaide CC after bailing out on New South where he was born. In fact my son played for the same southern Sydney junior club as Dizzie. I digress yes he had decided his future lay in SA once approached (dare I say poached) by SACA after his stint at the Adelaide Academy. Do I have those facts correct?
Dizzy moved to Adelaide with his Mum at around 15 years old and played junior cricket for Adelaide cricket club, remaining there for his whole career.

Another Blue bites the dust. Nevill. Perhaps time to call time on his career and give Holt a shot.

I may have gotten Jason and Michael Bevan mixed then. Was he the player that was approached to play for SA after attending the Academy.
Michael Bevan played for SA while he was at the cricket academy. He was a Canberra boy from memory and played the rest of his career for NSW once he left the academy.

Yes. After years of whinging about holding onto blokes for too long and not giving youth a crack at state level.. we finally have some young players. And to be brutally honest.. most seem lost at this level. I do have hope for Ryan Hackney and Lachlan Hearne tho.
Hayden Kerr looks a decent cricketer in all formats. Taking his chances.

Back