21/22 Shield Thread

17 year old debutant Teague Wyliie didn't look out of place either
No Teague looked completely at home. He has been playing Premier Firsts with the big boys for the best part of a season, so knows what to expect against seasoned cricketers. Averaged @46 with one ton.

Last edited:
Jack Edwards bowling is the only thing keeping him a Blue. Is that sufficient tho to warrant another contract.

Dont you mean Tasmania. Victoria copped an innings hiding. Losing those early games killed the Blues hopes But we may finish with a win over wooden spooners SA.

No, the ladder is being decided on average points this season due to the uneven amount of games played by each state. WA will host Victoria in the final at the WACA, Tasmania finished third.

The last match still running between NSW and SA was completed today at Karen Rolton Oval. NSW reached 8/308 before declaring early in the day, Lachlan Hearne top scored with 65 while Jack Edwards made 38 as the Blues declared their innings closed to set SA 326 for victory.

The Redbacks were positive from the outset in pursuit of the target, Jake Carder scored 46 before Nathan McSweeney and Jake Lehmann did most of the heavy lifting, Lehmann scored a very brisk 94 from 89 balls, Thomas Kelly came and went for 13 before Harry Nielsen joined McSweeney at the crease to lead SA home. McSweeney finished on 99 not out, his highest first class score as the Redbacks won by five wickets, their first Shield victory in over two years. Harry Neilsen finished on 34 not out as the Redbacks snuck home in the final session.

As mentioned earlier, WA will host Victoria in the final at the WACA on Thursday, 31 March in a five-day final. Tasmania finish third while NSW came in fourth. Queensland finished while SA claimed the wooden spoon despite the win, their 15th wooden spoon in the last 26 seasons and their 49th wooden spoon overall.

A sporting declaration
A generous declaration I should have typed. We closed too soon. Blind Freddie could see the track was now batting friendly. The Blues brains trust erred. Still I dont mind too much as it made no difference to us as we were out of the final race. Plus it did bring the Deadbacks back to life with their first shield win of the year. Now SACA dont fall into the trap of keeping Lehmann on the strength of one innings. Delist this inconsistent cricketer and now give Capel or Brazell a run.

Last edited:
Oh dear the Blues finish last by points. We had a topsy turvy year with inconsistency across both bat and ball. I see down to two reasons. Firstly our veterans have run out of puff while our rookie youth are not quite state red ball ready. I expect to see improvements from the rookies, Hackney, Kerr, Hearne, Holt, tho his keeping is already top class. If I am on the Blues brain's trust I am delisting Gilkes, Edwards, Henriques, Copeland, Nevill and Conway while upgrading rookie quicks Ryan Hadley and Hunar Verma. We also need to take a look at Tom Jaggot, Josh Clarke, Sam Skelly, George Furrer and Mathew Moran from Premier Cricket..

My Blues X1 for next season.
Hughes
Hackney
Sangha (c)
Patterson
Hearne
Kerr
Holt
Tremain
Hadley
Verma
T Sangha.

Last edited:

Cricinfo and I dont agree.

The Cricinfo ladder has the positions of the left hand side of the ladder numbered by average points per game which has them out of sequence, total points claimed is irrelevant with the ladder being decided on average points per game this season with the states playing an uneven amount of games. The ladder on the Cricket Australia site below has the teams ordered per the average points per game which is a better reflection of how the ladder positions are decided this season.

The five day final starts on Thursday. Is being telecast too by Fox Cricket. Warriors will win this in a canter if recent form by both sides is any indication . VICS were deplorable over the weekend.

Victoria have announced their squad. James Pattinson is out with a calf injury while Marcus Harris, Scott Boland, Jono Merlo and Fergus O'Neill come into the squad. Harris is listed in the squad at this stage but has tested positive to COVID-19 so may be withdrawn.

Sheffield Shield Final - Western Australia vs Victoria at Western Australian Cricket Association (WACA) Ground

Western Australia Squad
: Shaun Marsh*, Cameron Bancroft, Hilton Cartwright, Sam Fanning, Cameron Gannon, Aaron Hardie, Matthew Kelly, David Moody, Lance Morris, Joel Paris, Josh Philippe+, Corey Rocchiccoli, D'Arcy Short, Sam Whiteman, Teague Wyllie.

In: Nil
Out: Nil

Victoria Squad: Peter Handscomb*, Scott Boland, Travis Dean, Sam Harper+, Jon Holland, Nic Maddinson, Jono Merlo, Fergus O'Neill, Mitchell Perry, Will Pucovski, James Seymour, Matthew Short, Will Sutherland.

In: Scott Boland, Jono Merlo, Fergus O'Neill
Out: James Pattinson (calf)

Last edited:
WACA taking its time naming a side. Two big losses for the Warriors in Green, Inglis. Who else is out?

I rate their attack the best in the comp now. Richardson, Paris, Morris, Kelly.

Last edited:
WA have announced their squad and I've added this into my post above. No changes to the WA squad from their previous game. Marcus Harris has been confirmed as out with COVID-19 and won't take his place in the side, he has also not been replaced in Victorian squad either.

The weather is interesting for the next five days with showers forecast on the opening four days at this stage. However, the chance of showers on the opening two days is medium (50-60%) at the moment and high (70%) on Saturday and Sunday. The bureau has forecast showers here each day for the last four days and no rain has fallen so given the forecast it is possible this may happen again, particularly Thursday through to Saturday where there is a reasonable chance of no rain at all.

Thursday: Possible shower or storm, 19-31 (50%, 0-5mm)
Friday: Shower or two, 21-26 (60%, 0-2mm)
Saturday: Shower or two, 20-26 (70%, 0-5mm)
Sunday: Shower or two, 19-27 (70%, 1-10mm)
Monday: Partly cloudy, 17-26 (20%, 0mm)

Play gets underway at 10am AWST on Thursday, 1pm AEDT, 2am UTC. Daylight saving ends in the south eastern states on Sunday morning with play to start at 12pm AEDT on the last two days with the clocks winding back an hour.

Long time between drinks for your WA boys.

It has been a long time, some famous names in the side the last time WA won the Shield.

WACA taking its time naming a side. Two big losses for the Warriors in Green, Inglis. Who else is out?

I rate their attack the best in the comp now. Richardson, Paris, Morris, Kelly.

Ashton Agar, Cameron Green, Josh Inglis, Mitch Marsh, Jhye Richardson and Marcus Stoinis are all missing from that side.

Richardson still injured. Seems to miss more cricket than he plays.

That forecast is similar to matches played in Sydney this season. Rain destroys yet another cricket match. Needs to be something done. Hell we are in the 21st century yet we can not stop bad weather ruining cricket games.

Ordinarily this match would have started for us in the east an hour earlier. Yet for some reason we are ending DS in early April this year.

Last edited:
Western Australia finish day one on 3/290, Cameron Bancroft was the star with 135 not out, batting the entire day after opening with Sam Whiteman who scored 85 as they put on 188 for the opening wicket. Hilton Crtwright chipped in with 41 but was out on the second last ball of the day.

Scott Boland was Victoria's best bowler with 1/59 while Matt Short took 1/21 with his off-spin. Will Sutherland has the other wicket for the Victorians with 1/66.

A big day tomorrow, 10 overs left until 100 overs which is when the bonus points will finish for the WA innings. The forecast for the next two days is a lot better so we should get two full day's of play I would think.

Richardson still injured. Seems to miss more cricket than he plays.

It is a standard hamstring injury, looking at 3-4 weeks. If the final was a week later he may have been a chance to play.

Ritchie said:
That forecast is similar to matches played in Sydney this season. Rain destroys yet another cricket match. Needs to be something done. Hell we are in the 21st century yet we can not stop bad weather ruining cricket games.

Not really, Sydney has had well over a metre of rain in the last four months and has been registering well into the double digits for millimetres of rain falling each day for multiple days in that time. While the forecast at the time did predict rain, there was a reasonable chance that no rain would fall from Thursday to Saturday (hence why the forecast had the lower range at 0mm) which is what happened today and has happened in the previous four days where showers were forecast but never arrived.

A full 90 overs of play was played today, usually it is 96 but playing 90 as it is a five day game due to it being a final. The updated forecast issued today is pretty decent for the next two days with only a possible shower on both days so we should get two full days of play on Friday and Saturday. Any rain that does fall will be light with a maximum of 0.2mm expected if any rain does fall.

Ritchie said:
Ordinarily this match would have started for us in the east an hour earlier. Yet for some reason we are ending DS in early April this year.

It has been mandated for some time that daylight saving in the south eastern states finishes on the first Sunday in April at 3am.

Warriors in the box seat after day one. They will push on today to cook the Vic bowlers. Tipping 400 minimum. Can not see the Vics getting back into the contest from here. Looks like BOM got the Perth forecast wrong.. only possible rain with only Sunday looking a bit iffy.

Back