2nd 3 Mobile Test: Australia vs. Sri Lanka at Bellrieve Oval (Tasmania)

SouthSwans

2nd 3 Mobile Test: Australia vs. Sri Lanka at Bellrieve Oval (Tasmania)

The Sri Lankans have suggested that Chaminda Vass may be the one to make way for Lasith Malinga but after Dilhara Fernando's performance at the Gabba it's hard to see him not being the one to step aside. Thilan Samaraweera may be the scapegoat for the abysmal innings loss upon the return of Kumar Sangakkara.

The Australians are unlikely to make a change with Phil Jaques, Mitchell Johnson and Stuart MacGill all returning good performances in the first test.

Australia XI (likely): 1 Matthew Hayden, 2 Phil Jaques, 3 *Ricky Ponting, 4 Michael Hussey, 5 Michael Clarke, 6 Andrew Symonds, 7 +Adam Gilchrist, 8 Brett Lee, 9 Mitchell Johnson, 10 Stuart Clark, 11 Stuart MacGill.

Sri Lanka XI (likely): 1 Sanath Jayasuriya, 2 Marvan Atapattu, 3 *Kumar Sangakkarra, 4 Mahela Jayawardene, 5 Michael Vandort, 6 Chamara Silva, 7 +Prasanna Jayawardene, 8 Chaminda Vaas, 9 Farheez Maharoof, 10 Lasith Malinga, 11 Muttiah Muralitharan.

Umpires: Aleem Dar and Rudi Koertzen
3rd Umpire: Peter Parker

Weather:
Friday - 24 (Fine)
Saturday - 18 (Some Showers)
Sunday - 22 (Fine)
Monday - 29 (Fine and humid)
Tuesday - 26 (Late Showers)

South's Hot Bet:Mike Hussey or Michael Clarke most runs for the match at $9.00

Re: 2nd 3 Mobile Test: Australia vs. Sri Lanka at Bellrieve Oval (Tasmania)

The Sri Lankans did end up outing Vass instead of Fernando which is a decision I really can't understand.

At stumps it's 3/329, Jaques made 150 and Hussey reached 100 before stumps. It's gonna be hard for the Lankans now.

Bit of a joke that Chaminda Vaas was dropped for Malinga. Vaas was Sri Lanka's best fast bowler in the game at the Gabba and now he finds himself out of the side. Fernando bowled absolute crap in Brisbane and Maharoof wasn't much better. I see Maharoof has given up 82 runs already in this innings and has a bowling average of over 60.

The only reason I can give for Vaas not playing would be that he might want to play his 100th test back home in Sri Lanka.

This game is looking one-sided already. Sri Lanka are really struggling for penetration here and not even Murali can save them. Australia has played him well in the series so far and will once again be looking at a 500+ score.

Gee, I wish someone would at least put up a fight against the Aussies in the Test arena. It's getting boring.

Well done to Huss though, Superstar@|

Ten years ago I told a bloke at a WACCA test that one day Huss would one day open for Australia. He laughed at me. He must fell like a goose now?

At least Attapatu (18) and Vandort (12) managed to last out the day. Vandort had a few lives though.

Will be interesting to see if they can continue on tomorrow and make a the game a contest.

Sri Lanka all out for 246. Mahela Jayawardene made 104 and was the last man out, Kumar Sangakkara scored 57. That was it as far as the runs were concerned for the Lankans, no-one else managed to contribute anything of significance.

Brett Lee got the 3rd four-wicket haul of the series, snaring 4/82. The two Stuarts, Clark and MacGill took two wickets each.

Australia decided not to enforce the follow-on and are batting again. Partway through the fourth over, they are 0/16, Matthew Hayden is 12 not out.

407 run lead with 2 days to play. Will take a miracle for the Lankans to salvage a draw out of this one.

Australia declared at 2/210, a lead of 506 runs. Phil Jaques was out for 68. Ponting remained 53 not out and Hussey 34 not out.

Sri Lanka are 1/88 in reply. Vandort fell early caught by the sub Rhett Lockyear off the bowling of Mitch Johnson. Lockyear also secured a run-out in the first innings.

Sanga and Sanath at the crease. 250 odd runs to get. 7 wickets in hand. 5th day. Don't write off the Lankans. 1-1 sounds pleasing :D

Kumar to go for his double century on the 5th day!!! Jayasuriya for his century!!!

Anything can happen. And I sure hope it does this time!!! :D

That's exactly why we follow sport. If all results were pre-determined based on who's the favourite and who's the underdog, there would be no point in following any sport.

If MacGill bowls plenty of overs tomorrow I'd say Sri Lanka's chances will rise a fair bit. Some of the rubbish he served up today was a joke. If he isn't a 100% fit he shouldn't have played.

MacGill chucked a fair few pies today. Fair dinkum that ball that Sangakkara hit for four to get his 100 was probably the worst ball of the day.

Sri Lanka are still in this though, Australia really need to get Jayasuriya and Sangakkara early on to make sure the game stays in their favour. Symonds won't bowl and MacGill is obviously not right so the game could be a lot closer than what we thought it would be.

Prasanna Jayawardene is an idiot.

|@

The ball he left alone, being plumb LBW for the first ball of his inning. He has been out in both innings for duck, with total of 2 balls faced in the entire match. Leaving his team hanging out to dry in crucial situation like this, what could be more infuriating?

:mad: :mad:

And on top of that, the other bigger Jayawardene was out for a duck for the first ball faced in his 2nd inning. 2 different Jayawardenes out for duck with total of 2 balls faced in a single inning, that's got to be a first one as well.

Chandu;191637 said:
Kumar to go for his double century on the 5th day!!!

Rudi Koertzen, shame on you!!!! Robbing Kumar on 192 for a catch that was never a catch. This is disgusting.

:mad:

Yeah that was an utterly disgraceful decision. I was really enjoying his innings too....

:(

Not trying to pass the blame, Sri Lankan batsmen didn't provide proper support that was required, so with such ineptitude were always going to lose. Very sad to see a great inning robbed by a stupid decision, that's all.

Chandu;191740 said:
Prasanna Jayawardene is an idiot.

|@

The ball he left alone, being plumb LBW for the first ball of his inning. He has been out in both innings for duck, with total of 2 balls faced in the entire match. Leaving his team hanging out to dry in crucial situation like this, what could be more infuriating?

:mad: :mad:

Six balls actually. His duck in the first innings lasted five balls.

Sri Lanka gave it their best but they were bowled out for 410. Jayasuriya, Silva and Prasanna Jayawardene were all back in the pavillion pretty quickly with Maharoof and Fernando soon after. Sangakkara and Malinga batted well together for a while before Sangakkara got a shocking decision from Rudi Koertzen given out caught off what looked to be his forearm. Sangakkara ended up with a brilliant 192 and was very unlucky not to get his double century.

Malinga and Muralitharan managed to frustrate the Aussies for a few overs with some big hitting but Brett Lee finished the game off by bowling Muralitharan with Malinga 42 not out at the finish.

Another four wickets for Brett Lee taking his match tally to eight. It was enough for him to win the Man of the Match award. Lee also picked up Man of the Series for his 16 wickets which included four in each innings, a wonderful effort.

So, that's the end of the 2 test series, Australia has about three weeks off international duties so we will see them back on the domestic and the district cricket scene. Sri Lanka heads home for a test series against England.

Victory to Australia by 96 runs.

And one final piece of news. Marvan Atapattu has announced that he will be retiring from international cricket at the completion of the series (so he's officially retired right now). You just get the feeling that after his comments last week about the board and selectors that he wasn't going to be selected anyway.

Ljp86;191758 said:
Six balls actually. His duck in the first innings lasted five balls.

Alright, I'll give him credit. He lasted for whopping 5 balls in the first inning!!! Wow, that's quite an achievement for him. :rolleyes:

NOT.

(The rolls eye icon is obviously meant for him, not you personally.) I say, sack him. Bring back Kumar as the wicketkeeper. I know it's a tall ask to keep wickets and bat at no. 3. But what can you do when there is a batman who cannot bat?

Bitterly disapointed. |@

Rudi Kuertzen should join the ranks of Darrell air with that descison. He robbed Sangakarra of standing alongside someone like Bradman.

Something tells me if the number three had blonde hair and blue eyes he may not have been given out. Hmmmmm....

Chandu;191775 said:
Alright, I'll give him credit. He lasted for whopping 5 balls in the first inning!!! Wow, that's quite an achievement for him. :rolleyes:

NOT.

(The rolls eye icon is obviously meant for him, not you personally.) I say, sack him. Bring back Kumar as the wicketkeeper. I know it's a tall ask to keep wickets and bat at no. 3. But what can you do when there is a batman who cannot bat?

Sangakkara should be back as wicket-keeper pretty soon. Prasanna Jayawardene only kept in the game because Sangakkara was coming back from a hamstring injury. Having to keep for 100-odd overs wouldn't be ideal on return and would risk re-injuring the leg.

I would be surprised if Sangakkara isn't back to keeping when they play England in their upcoming home series.

CeyloneseSENSATION said:
Bitterly disapointed. |@

Rudi Kuertzen should join the ranks of Darrell air with that descison. He robbed Sangakarra of standing alongside someone like Bradman.

Something tells me if the number three had blonde hair and blue eyes he may not have been given out. Hmmmmm....

Ridiculous argument. Are you saying that Rudi Koertzen is now a racist?

Back