3rd Test- Australia vs India

el-capitano

3rd Test- Australia vs India

Chris Rogers will make his Test debut on his home ground tomorrow after Matthew Hayden was ruled out with injury for the third Test against India at the WACA Ground.

Fast bowler Shaun Tait will also come into the side, as Australia opted for an all-pace attack for the first time since 1992.

Captain Ricky Ponting confirmed Hayden had not sufficiently overcome soreness in his right hamstring and that he was too great a risk to take into the match, where Australia chase a record 17th successive win.

Spinner Brad Hogg was eligible to play after India dropped their abusive language complaint against him last night, but he will be 12th man.

Hayden was ruled out after a fitness test with physiotherapist Alex Kountouris today, and a meeting with Ponting, coach Tim Nielsen and chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch.

Ponting said Hayden, who has not missed a Test since 2000, could run at about 70 per cent capacity, but was not worth the risk as he could not call on a runner in the match with an existing injury.

Ponting said Rogers, 30, deserved his chance after strong form for Western Australia over the last few seasons.

Tait will join Brett Lee and Mitchell Johnson as the express bowlers on what is expected to be a pacy, bouncy pitch, and Stuart Clark's presence means Australia will play four quicks for the first time since 1992, coincidentally against India in Perth.

Ponting was hopeful the express bowlers could rattle India.

"I don't think there's any doubt that we can, with Tait, Lee and Johnson, rattle them," he said.

"What it does give us as far as our fast bowling goes is really good balance and a good mix."

Tait has not played a Test since he played two on the 2005 Ashes tour.

Ponting also admitted the pitch and bowling line-up gave Australia a good opportunity to bowl first if he won the toss.

Australia: Ricky Ponting (capt), Adam Gilchrist, Phil Jaques, Chris Rogers, Mike Hussey, Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Stuart Clark, Shaun Tait, Brad Hogg (12th man).

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/rogers-to-debut-tait-recalled/2008/01/15/1200159425568.html

Re: 3rd Test- Australia vs India

It's not a surprise at all that Tait's in the squad. Johnson's still got to prove himself at test level and Tait's ahead of him when both are at full fitness. What Johnson needs to do is swing it back into the right handers, it was a problem Bracken had when he played test cricket, too much of Johnson's deliveries to right handers are too wide and they just let it go through to the keeper, he needs to make them play more. You just had to play Tait on the world's most fastest and bounciest pitch, the "wild thing" is a match winner and fun to watch. The selectors don't tolerate failure and that's probably why they dropped Hogg, who couldn't get the job sone when they really needed him and with his role as no.1 spinner, that's his job. He's also got alot to prove at test level and, unlike Johnson, doesn't have youth on his side and I can see Johnson improving, he's got some good stuff in him. By the way aussieman, if you can find some info on the time wasting question, that would be nice. @|

They would have been crazy not to play Tait on the WACCA pitch, Hogg whilst he did his job we can cover the spin options with the 2 part-timers. People seemed to have jumped on Hogg after going without a wicket a 10 over last day spell in Sydney, expecting him to match Warne.

Good to see they replaced an opener with another instead of screwing with the order, and rogers is deserving after serving a long apprenticeship.

Oh my God, oh my God, Rogers is playing!!! :D @|

But seriously, good luck to Chris in his debut, it is well deserved and I am sure he will go well. He will eventually become a permanent fixture once Hayden retires.

This pitch will be an absolute cracker, hence why they've included Tait. The WACA pitch is back to it's best, fast, bouncy and a pace bowlers paradise. Those who can handle the pace early should be able to play well here and make a big score. Tait could crack 160 km/hr maybe even more of the conditions are right. That "Fremantle doctor" (local nickname for the sea breeze) will come in super handy here for the locals and well as the Indians if they can master it. After all the controversy that has happened over the past week and a bit, this should be a brilliant game. India have a point to prove as does Australia who desperately want to break that record of 16 test wins held by Steve Waugh's side which went from 1999/00 to 2000/01. Ironically, that run of victories was ended by India.

There's changes for both sides. As mentioned previously, local boy Chris Rogers will make his test debut, replacing an injured Matthew Hayden at the top of the order. Brad Hogg has been dropped and Shaun Tait, who hasn't played a test in two and a half years comes in to the side to complete the four-man pace attack.

India have also made some changes with Harbhajan Singh likely to be out replaced by Irfan Pathan, a token selection as India shouldn't go into this game with two spinners as that would be suicide. Virender Sehwag comes into the line-up for the first time in over a year to open the innings with Rahul Dravid dropping back to his number three spot. VVS Laxman goes back to number six with Yuvraj Singh missing out.

Should be an absolute belter this one. A fast, bouncy, old-school WACA pitch with four Aussie bowlers hell bent on making it 17 in a row and a debutant hoping to make his mark. India meanwhile will be focusing on how the win this game to keep them in the series depsite already handing Australia the Border-Gavaskar trophy in Sydney. Did I mention it's going to be hot too? Yeah, really hot, not only the temperature here in Perth but also in the middle of the WACA. Should be a cracking encounter.

Australia XI: Chris Rogers (test debut), Phil Jaques, *Ricky Ponting, Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, +Adam Gilchrist, Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Stuart Clark, Shaun Tait

India XI (likely): Virender Sehwag, Wasim Jaffer, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman, +Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Irfan Pathan, *Anil Kumble, RP Singh, Ishant Sharma

Umpires: Asad Rauf and Billy Bowden
3rd Umpire: TBA

Weather:

(All Tempertaures in Degrees Celcius)

Wednesday: Fine but windy, 35.
Thursday: Fine. Very hot, 38.
Friday: Fine. Humid change, 31.
Saturday: Fine, 34.
Sunday: Fine, 34.

Game starts at 11:30am AWDT (11:30am local time, 2:30am GMT).

India were looking good racing to 0/57, but Australia fought back after drinks getting both the openers before lunch. Should be a good next session, Tendulkar looking quite solid early on.

India raced to 0/57, but Australia fought back well after drinks to dismiss both the openers before lunch to be 2/74. Should be an interesting next session, Tendulkar is looking pretty solid early on.

Must be tough out there at 38 degrees, the players will be hanging for that sea breeze to come in.

With the pitch looking like it's getting better for batting, India look set to post a good score here at 2/179 with both batsmen set. The dropped catch by Clarke could prove to be a vital mistake for the Aussies.

^Days play just finished Diamond Joe :) 12 hours exactly out with Western Australia?

India are still in a good position at 6/297 despite a couple of brain-melts from Dravid and Laxman. Will be interesting to see if the can fight it out tomorrow and push towards 400, certainly a possibility with Kumble still to bat. Looks like a track for batting so squeezing out the extra runs could prove vital.

Kram81;202751 said:
^Days play just finished Diamond Joe :)

Yeah I knew play was about to end, but he transmission seemed to cut off midway. They were talking about one more over, they said the digital clock read 7, and boom, all of a sudden a piercing whistle, like feed back.

Hey I know there is a help forum, but sometimes no one goes in there. This is the problem I am having

I am having some trouble loging in on my lap top. I can log in, I get the welcome screen where it says welcome diamond joe quimby, but then it returns to the you are not logged in page. I am not entering the password wrong, because I can see the welcome message, and I do not see the messsage saying I have entered info wrong and only have X number of times to correct it before it is temporarily locked. I tried clearing cookies, but it seems to continue

Maybe try clicking remember me function Joe. Other then that not really much use.

Good days play by the aussies will catch up this arvo on sky sports replay

Guru™;202768 said:
Maybe try clicking remember me function Joe. Other then that not really much use.

Good days play by the aussies will catch up this arvo on sky sports replay

That was it. I guess I turned that setting off without realizing, usually I had no problems with it. Thanks.

I was watching the game last night. Good to see that we have got a better competitive team that the aussies are playing against.

The Indians had better be careful not to waste peoples time. They did a lot of holding up the aussies on Day one.

Australia 3/22 at lunch. Rogers was out to a questionable LBW decision with Jaques and Hussey also back in the shed for not much. Earlier, Mitch Johnson cleaned up the Indian tail rather proficiently, finishing with four wickets for the innings.

Plenty of work to do for the Australians, Ponting and Clarke are in now and will have to get some momentum going for them to get back into the game.

148/5 at Tea on day two. Australia somewhat saved by the lower order combination of Symonds (56*) and Gilchrist (34*).

19 year old Ishant Sharma has been very tough and at tea has 34/2.

At the end of the day's play, India are 1/52, a lead of 170 runs with 9 wickets remaining. It looks like we're going to get a result yet again. On some of the players from both teams so far:
Australia
Chris Rogers: Unlucky to be given out wasn't he? One of a few poor decisions by Asad "Slow Death" Rauf so far. Highlight was definitely that blinder of a catch he took to dismiss Kumble.
Andrew Symonds: Had more lives than a cat during his innings, but did what Australia does best when they're down, counter-attacked and India laid down while he and Gilchrist were out there.
Adam Gilchrist: Returned to form with both bat and gloves. Hit 3 4s in a row off R.P Singh before getting out to a beauty.
Mitchell Johnson: Apparently in a bowl-off with Tait for Adelaide with Hogg almost certain of a recall, took his 1st 4-for in tests and bowled well. Not good in late in the day in the 2nd innings, but wasn't the only one.
Shaun Tait: Needs something extraordinary to play in the next test. It's said that he lacks match fitness and perhaps down on pace, even though he did once reach 155kms. Imagine how fast he can be at full fitness!
India
Wasim Jaffer: Has almost certainly played his last test for the series. Out yet again softly and he saw off bogey man Lee for the time being when it occured.
Rahul Dravid: Made 93 runs in the 1st innings, looking much more comfortable in the no.3 spot than the unloved opening position. Looked out of sorts in parts, but still good in other parts. Threw it away though with a century beckoning. Had a good day in the slips.
Sachin Tendulkar: Another fine display from 1 of the all-time greats, and was unlucky to be given out lbw to "Slow Death". Lowlight was the sitter he dropped in the slips when Symonds nicked one, which cost India to a certain extent, which led to him being banished from the slips, much to Ian Chappell's displeasure.
Irfan Pathan: About time he played. Took the 1st 2 wickets in the innings, admittedly a lucky 1 to get rid of Rogers but had Symonds dropped by Tendulkar. Is now swinging the ball again too. Made 28 useful runs in the 1st innings and now has a job to do as night watchman tomorrow.
R.P Singh: Copped some stick for most part but hit back hard and finished with 4 wickets. This guy has talent.

India have moved to 3/100, a lead of 218 runs. Sehwag went for 43 and Dravid caught only make 3 before nicking Brett Lee to Gilchrist.

Clark has 2/29 with Brett Lee 1/34.

Still plenty of work to do for Australia, they'll need more quick wickets if they want to restrict India's lead, getting Pathan and tendulkar whjo are at the crease now would be a good start.

India 148-5, with Tendulkar and Ganguly both gone.

Pathan has looked good, and he's in there with Laxman right now, but things are looking brighter for Australia right now.

Back