Australia announce squads to tour India

E

eddiesmith

Australia announce squads to tour India

Squad for VB Tour of India Announced
Cricket Australia’s National Selection Panel (NSP) today announced a 15-man Test and a 14-man one-day international squad to take part in Australia’s tour of India beginning in October.

The squad for the four Test matches to be played is:pLAYER STATE AGE
Ricky Ponting, Captain TAS 33
Michael Clarke, Vice-Captain NSW 26
Doug Bollinger NSW 27
Stuart Clark NSW 32
Brad Haddin NSW 30
Matthew Hayden QLD 36
Michael Hussey WA 32
Phil Jaques NSW 28
Mitchell Johnson QLD 26
Simon Katich NSW 32
Jason Krejza TAS 25
Brett Lee NSW 31
Bryce McGain VIC 36
Peter Siddle VIC 23
Shane Watson QLD 27

Good to see Peter Siddle heading to India and McGain who should be Australias no1 spinner in India

Australian squad for Indian tour

Matthew Hayden
Phil Jaques
Ricky Ponting (capt)
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke
Simon Katich
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin (wk)
Brett Lee
Jason Krejza
Mitchell Johnson
Peter Siddle
Bryce McGain
Stuart Clark
Doug Bollinger

Thoughts on the team? How does everyone think they will go?

Re: Australian squad for Indian tour

Hmmm, not bad. McGain, Siddle and Krejza would be the shocks though. Krejza and Siddle especially.

Beau Casson finds himself a little unlucky, even though he wasn't great in the West Indies, I thought they may have given him another go. Looks like they've gone for experience with McGain in the side. He'll have a lot of pressure on him to perform right from the get go with India's pitches well suited to the spinners. Bollinger's there as the back-up for Lee, Clark and Johnson with Siddle as the extra cover in case a couple of injuries to the bowlers set in.

No real shock in the batting department, wasn't really going to change that much. No Symonds there, he must be really in the doghouse after his latest misdemeanour.

Pretty decent squad.

Ljp86;236355 said:
Hmmm, not bad. McGain, Siddle and Krejza would be the shocks though. Krejza and Siddle especially.

Beau Casson finds himself a little unlucky, even though he wasn't great in the West Indies, I thought they may have given him another go. Looks like they've gone for experience with McGain in the side. He'll have a lot of pressure on him to perform right from the get go with India's pitches well suited to the spinners. Bollinger's there as the back-up for Lee, Clark and Johnson with Siddle as the extra cover in case a couple of injuries to the bowlers set in.

No real shock in the batting department, wasn't really going to change that much. No Symonds there, he must be really in the doghouse after his latest misdemeanour.

Pretty decent squad.

its just a squad to take the piss out of a 2nd rate indian side. they are pathetic and sit back on 20/20 trophies.

Babies Arm;236365 said:
its just a squad to take the piss out of a 2nd rate indian side. they are pathetic and sit back on 20/20 trophies.

quite a good team.but wheres Marsh? How can you ignore a young player in his form?

Ljp86;236355 said:

Pretty decent squad.

I wouldn't think McGain is a shock inclusion being the best spinner in the country and he went quite well in the A tour of India held recently.

Beau Casson is the worse spinner to play test cricket for Aust his no good.

Re: Australia announce squads to tour India

McGain will not only impress he will end up being our number 1 spinner for the next 3 years. I dont think it was a shock at all they tok the 3 bowlers in the Aussie A side in a bowl off to see who would play for Australia. McGain was always going to win that spot

odysseas;236367 said:
quite a good team.but wheres Marsh? How can you ignore a young player in his form?
He has time on his side unlike another batsman who is probably ahead of him still and would have been a better choice than Watson

Wonder what the odds are of Watson not surviving the tour? :D

odysseas;236367 said:

One-day player at the moment. Has only played against West Indies and Bangladesh, two of the weaker sides in world cricket currently. He'll need some runs against India in the one-dayers and also the South Africa series at home if he is to push for a test spot.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;236371 said:
I wouldn't think McGain is a shock inclusion being the best spinner in the country and he went quite well in the A tour of India held recently.

Beau Casson is the worse spinner to play test cricket for Aust his no good.

It came as a little bit of a shock to me, I'm surprised they dumped Casson so quickly.

Gladyboy;236379 said:
McGain will not only impress he will end up being our number 1 spinner for the next 3 years. I dont think it was a shock at all they tok the 3 bowlers in the Aussie A side in a bowl off to see who would play for Australia. McGain was always going to win that spot

McGain's 36 years old, so you think he will still be bowling for Australia when he is 39?

It's hard to say whether Australia will get more than two years out of McGain, once McGain is no longer in the picture, they'll have to look for another spinner and Casson will probably still be in the picture which why I am a little surprised he was axed so quickly. Casson could form part of the spinning future for Australia and I thought he'd at least get another crack despite not doing that well against the Windies.

McGain might not last two years for Australia, then again he could play well for Australia for however long he's in the side. The position is still very much up for grabs.

I think it shows that Casson toured the West Indies for the experience as they usually have atleast 1 on every tour and the retirement of MacGill caught them by suprise especially mid series, probably also means they thought McGain was no2 behind Stuey but didnt want to take 2 old men on tour so took the younger player

White has toured with the Aussie test side but no one expected him to play

eddiesmith;236533 said:
I think it shows that Casson toured the West Indies for the experience as they usually have atleast 1 on every tour and the retirement of MacGill caught them by suprise especially mid series, probably also means they thought McGain was no2 behind Stuey but didnt want to take 2 old men on tour so took the younger player

Macgill was pushed.

eddiesmith;236533 said:

Probably right about Casson, hence Siddle's inclusion in the team for the same reason. Most likely he won't play but will learn from the whole experience.

I still think he's in their plans for the future though.

I know why McGain was picked (most informed spin bowler) but really giving a test debut at 36 just seems like the Aussie team is tredding water and scared to exposed younger players. I would of much preffered to see a couple of youngsters then McGain getting a run around (and I am a victorian as well)

Ljp86;236610 said:
Probably right about Casson, hence Siddle's inclusion in the team for the same reason. Most likely he won't play but will learn from the whole experience.

I still think he's in their plans for the future though.
No doubt he is in their plans for the future but possibly not for a while

In all honesty I dont think the Indian, South Africa or pommie sides will be fearing this type of squad too much. I think they will all respect this side but would all be thinking they can beat the Aussies now.

Ashes05;236776 said:
In all honesty I dont think the Indian, South Africa or pommie sides will be fearing this type of squad too much. I think they will all respect this side but would all be thinking they can beat the Aussies now.

Istrongly beleive that Simonds should be in the squad.a great player like him can be foregiven fore an attitude mistake,expecialy after saying sorry,fore the good of the team.he is too much a good player fore somebody to fill in his shoes.

odysseas;265861 said:
Istrongly beleive that Simonds should be in the squad.a great player like him can be foregiven fore an attitude mistake,expecialy after saying sorry,fore the good of the team.he is too much a good player fore somebody to fill in his shoes.

Symonds will undoubtedly be missed. I think they made a mistake not to pick him. I really don't believe Swatson is a Test level all rounder at the minute

Guru™;236637 said:
I know why McGain was picked (most informed spin bowler) but really giving a test debut at 36 just seems like the Aussie team is tredding water and scared to exposed younger players. I would of much preffered to see a couple of youngsters then McGain getting a run around (and I am a victorian as well)

But is India in India the best place to blood young guys? They might get scarred for life!

But then again even Hauritz took some test wickets over there, so it can't be that bad! :D

Watch for M.Clarke to do a lot more bowling to make up for a lack of Symonds! ;)

thematchreferee;265955 said:
Symonds will undoubtedly be missed. I think they made a mistake not to pick him. I really don't believe Swatson is a Test level all rounder at the minute

Don't worry about "Hospital" Watson. He'll be back home on the physio table within the first week of the tour! ;)

Back