Australia In England, The Ashes 2013

If we bat first tonight, the openers firing is crucial to getting a good score.

Our frailities of late have been due to the openers getting out cheaply and exposing the middle order to the new and swinging ball.

If our openers can see off the new ball, it will make it a lot easier on our middle order.

Do you think Watson and Rogers is the right opening combination?

Do you think Watson and Rogers is the right opening combination?

It remains to be seen.

I am undecided on Watson being an opener again but Rogers I am happy with considering his experience in English conditions having had lengthy stints in the county scene.

It's too early to make a call on whether it's the right opening combo at this stage but we'll soon find out tonight.

Look at those graphics introducing the players? I often see that on SoO. First time I remember seeing that type of intro was superbowl 38 panthersvspatriots*.

*Panthers lost :(:(:(

Well we bowled first and did a good job. I was in favour of Bird over Sidd's but clearly i was wrong. He bowled with the most control though the others all showed they have the goods. I read somewhere that McDermott is interested in working with our bowlers again now Boof is the coach, that could be sensational.

Unfortunately our excellent bowling effort was not backed up with nothing but ordinary discipline from our ever fragile top order. Funny how the man no one thought should be there has put up the best effort (Steve Smith). Lets hope Smith and Hughes can make their careers tomorrow and knock up a good score together.

Intriguing day one. Steve Smith looked good and only having Anderson and Finn fit, puts more pressure on Anderson, Finn and Swann of course.

The Hughes & Smith partnership is vital to our cause right now with only Haddin the last of the recognised batsmen left before the tail is exposed.

Digging in and building a solid partnership between the two tonight is crucial for Australia.

But anyway, from my pov, Cowan's shot had more to do with him probably being uncomfortable in his role within the team. He's always been an opener, and I think moving him to 3 (as insignificant a change as it may appear) might've messed with his head a bit. He would never have played that shot had he been opening.

Anderson's ball to get Clarke? Wow! Amazing! Gee whiz, that ball was so good, had I been a right-hander facing that exact delivery, I reckon I would've hit it not quite off the middle and got 2 in front of point. That's how good it was!

Everyone get around Ashton Agar! He has scored the most amount of runs of any Australian number 11 batsman. Agar needs to open the innings for Australia!

Well done Ashton Agar.

I have to admit I thought the selectors stuffed up bringing him in but what an innings that was.

Went within a whisker of putting himself in the record books.

Back