Australia In England, The Ashes 2013

98 on debut as an 19 year old? Solid.

How's his bowling looked though? I haven't been able to see much of it.

His throws the ball up there and gets flight. He hasn't got a lot of turn but in the next couple of days the pitch might turn more. His bowling will improve as he gains confidence and he should have a lot of that now. He has the potential to be a very dangerous bowler in the next few years.

fantastic effort from Agar. But in the end we need wickets and 75/2 last night is not going to get there. They must be bowled out for 200.

Unbelievable from Agar. How does anyone do that? I hope he keeps that mentality for a long time. It will be seriously challenged from now on, with all the expectations and that he'll be a marked man by the opposition.

I heard Trott's wicket on the radio, in bed. Having just seen it on the news, I'm not sure he was out.

Australia have got to make the most of the momentum now. If they were a better team, they would in it form here, But you don't know with this lot.

For England? In the next two sessions is where on of Cook, Pietersen (ideally) or Bell wrap up the motm award. One of them to score a ton, with England setting 250 odd for Australia. With Agar the man of the moment, you can't forget he's in the team as a bowler. If I were Cook or Pietersen, I'd keep in my mind to make sure anything not on the spot gets punished fully. Do this to try and knock his confidence a bit.

Agar turned the game around. There I was thinking "****, I hate 3 day tests" There is a huge chance it could go 5 if England bat well.

Not a good first few overs, in the end this pitch is a disgrace for test cricket. The groundsman has clearly been told to prepare Indian wickets. The time has come for the ICC to send inspectors out to supervise pitch preparation to stop what is in the end cheating.

Ashton Agar is spinning the ball more this innings. He is picking up wickets as a result.

Australia just need to keep patient and take their chances. The Aussie bowlers have taken wickets when they have needed to.

Well it slipped away with some dogged batting and a bit of luck with the umpire but no one to blame but ourselves for wasting the DRS options earlier in the day. I again say the pitch is a disgrace and this rubbish goes on far to often now in cricket. Are we now to instruct our groundsmen to prepare bouncy green tops for the series here? Never mind the POMS have worked for it and unless we pull off an effort with the bat the game is theirs.

Some early wickets in the morning and we get the best part of 2 days to bat. It would be very difficult for our batsmen to chase down the runs but anything can happen in cricket.

Some early wickets in the morning and we get the best part of 2 days to bat. It would be very difficult for our batsmen to chase down the runs but anything can happen in cricket.

Wouldn't that be great but really? the question is where was it wrong? fragile top order, leaving Lyon out and Haddins poor glove work and batting like a country B grader

Well it slipped away with some dogged batting and a bit of luck with the umpire but no one to blame but ourselves for wasting the DRS options earlier in the day. I again say the pitch is a disgrace and this rubbish goes on far to often now in cricket. Are we now to instruct our groundsmen to prepare bouncy green tops for the series here? Never mind the POMS have worked for it and unless we pull off an effort with the bat the game is theirs.

There was another ridiculous use of DRS by Clarke. I hope Agar or Haddin doesn't get dudded tomorrow morning or he's going to look an even bigger fool/chancer than he already does.

What a pitiful effort overnight by the batsmen (if you can call them batsmen). Given half a start they threw it away and wasted the DRS. Clearly Mr Fabulous (Watson) needs to be told he is banned from the use of the DRS. I would think Warner will come in for Cowan at the next test, but i am not sure why he is no number 3. So we wait to see if our tail can pull off a miracle. Forget Haddin he is not on the game at all and looks well out of his class, so the bowlers are left to pick up the pieces. Think i would be seriously questioning the commitment of the batsmen if i were a bowler.

Our batsman are playing shots to balls they don't need to. It is a test match, respect the good balls and punish the bad ones. You would have to think Twenty20 and One Day cricket has an influence on batsman. The Australian batsman should have come out with a point to prove after a 19 year old on debutant Ashton Agar outscored all of the recognised batsman scoring 98 runs. Changes to our batting line up need to be made before the next test match. Our woeful batting is costing us this game.

What an exciting finish to the first Test! Australia did well to get so close with the tail showing how it's done, not to mention Haddin.

Quoted from Cricinfo's FB page: "So far in this Test, Australia's last wicket pair has added 223 for 1. The rest of the team: 348 for 18"

Quoted from Cricinfo's FB page: "So far in this Test, Australia's last wicket pair has added 223 for 1. The rest of the team: 348 for 18"

That is an overt example of what's been going on for a while now. Our batting really does stink. Clarke needs to go back to 5 now and I mean now or you can kiss goodbye to substantial runs from him.

Back