Australia In England, The Ashes 2013

Your a laugh. The only other bowler worth a thought was Bird but the experience of Harris gets the nod. Funny though the POMS were doing ok by dinner then yet again even a part time rubbish leggy like Smith sends fear through the England dressing room. Wonder how they will go with Ahmed in Australia next summer???:D:D:)

The Poms have always had the fear of God put into them with spinners ever since Shane Warne made a living out of humiliating them throughout the 90's and early 00's.

If they're going to struggle against nuffies like Steve Smith, I'll be feeling quietly confident of our chances at home next summer.

Interesting first days cricket. Glad to see Bell backed up from the last Test.

England still really does struggle with spin, don't they. Although I think Smith is a better bowler than some give him credit for (when it lands on the pitch) haha.

One thing I don't get, why doesn't Clarke bowl Watson more? I thought he looked great with the ball in hand again and threatening at times, not just someone to keep the runs down.

I actually bothered to stay up and watch and Steve Smith bowled quite well. Dished up one rank full toss and got lucky with Bairstow hitting a low full toss straight back to him. But the ball to get Bell was a ripper that Warne would been proud of and he deceived Prior with a straight skidding ball.

Was a good effort considering he doesn't bowl much anymore.

One thing I don't get, why doesn't Clarke bowl Watson more? I thought he looked great with the ball in hand again and threatening at times, not just someone to keep the runs down.

Agree he's a good bowler and will do well in England but is very injury prone, that's why Clarke will use him in short bursts. He has to open the batting, I guarantee if he bowled him in long spells he would break down.

Agree he's a good bowler and will do well in England but is very injury prone, that's why Clarke will use him in short bursts. He has to open the batting, I guarantee if he bowled him in long spells he would break down.

Yeah but if old Kallis can do it then Watson should be able to. ;)

Khawaja looked like he was sh*ting himself up on the balcony lol.

You would think Prior would have a bit of pride in his England cap and either clean it or get a new one. Looks terrible with all those sweat stains.

**** me Watson loves burning reviews. What's the bet that someone will lose their wicket to a howler at a crucial stage and their is none left.

Agar almost runs 2 yet Haddin doesn't think there is run there even though it wasn't his call.

Well I guess innings like these have to have one comical run out :rolleyes:

What a pig's breakfast that innings was. You have to laugh. Usman looked about as secure as a 15 year old who REALLY hates facing spin in there and that yahoo that he played deserved everything he got.

I'd like to see Watson batting 7. **** him, he's been batting like someone's grandma for 2 years or more now and he doesn't deserve to have reviews at his disposal as he's such a shit judge of them. At 7, he never will get to hurl them away with such abandon because our profligate and selfish bunch of hacks will have already done that.(Honourable exception to Rogers).

Hughes shot deserved what it got too. Smith was outfoxed and Clarke just played all round that ball. Fabulous day's play.

very much so but he has not really spent much time at 4 and if he really is our best then it should not make any difference. No: 3 i understand, either you can or you cannot. Considering some of the things coming out in the court papers filed by Arthur, Clarke could be in for a very difficult time. He is clearly not popular with the team and these revelations will only cause further toxicity to fester.

He's spent over 12 tests there, I think you'll find.

He's spent over 12 tests there, I think you'll find.

Yes it was a about a year and his form was not the best at the time, wasn't he copping it from the POMS at that time as well?
Well on the back of that effort you really do have to wonder whether we actually have any batsmen at all in Aus at the moment. Clarke has clearly lost form, maybe his back is hurting and he is covering up? but really Watson is a joke, Khawaja was not ready and why move Hughes? to suit Captain fabulous. It will be a long road to rebuild this team when the whole batting lineup is rubbish. Thank christ we have some bowlers but even then despite young Agars heroics in the first test Lyon would have to be the hardest done by player in the team. He is still by miles the best spinner but he gets treated with no respect because the selectors want to play games.

I've been backing Khawaja to get more chances but....he looked scared of spin and played a shot that made him look like he doesn't give a s*** about the baggy green or the team. I wouldn't blame Boof if he dropped him for good. I can't get over how selfish Watson was. Possibly costing Roger's position in the team based on team hierarchy (if Rogers doesn't perform in the second innings). Yes he should have hit it but he would have reviewed it if his position was assured in the side. This is one of the issues with the DRS. "Team hierarchy" comes into play. Watson and even Cook seems to believe they have more of a right to a review than players such as Rogers and maybe Bairstow in the English side?

What a pig's breakfast that innings was. You have to laugh. Usman looked about as secure as a 15 year old who REALLY hates facing spin in there and that yahoo that he played deserved everything he got.
I get sick of saying it but he has to be the most overrated batsman by Australian supporters going around, the amount of times I've heard how 'hard done by' the selectors he's been.. He's fine against seamers but the guy is USELESS against spin, imagine what the Indians would've done to him..

I've been backing Khawaja to get more chances but....he looked scared of spin and played a shot that made him look like he doesn't give a s*** about the baggy green or the team.
There was a funny shot of him sitting up on the balcony and he honestly looked to be shitting himself.. I really don't think the silly shot was because he didn't care, more like a sign of desperation because he was getting pinned down.

I'd like to see Watson batting 7. **** him, he's been batting like someone's grandma for 2 years or more now and he doesn't deserve to have reviews at his disposal as he's such a shit judge of them. At 7, he never will get to hurl them away with such abandon because our profligate and selfish bunch of hacks will have already done that.(Honourable exception to Rogers).
Totally agree with this. Was quite disappointed when Lehmann said he's definitely the opener, his batting has been rubbish for ages. We need his bowling though, put him down the order, it's not as if the the team is short of openers ffs.

Oh and Haddin not even going for that edge off Joe Root, ***** hell. Chris Hartley must must get depressed when he sees keepers like Haddin or Wade play for Australia. It's not as if guys like Hartley can't bat, in fact he's quite capable. Haddin/Wade might average 10 more runs but it just gets flushed down the toilet when they f*** up and let batsmen off like that, Root could go on to make a 100..

Back