Australia in India

Re: Australia in India

Got to say one thing for the selectors - this is what Bollinger was brought to India for, and he's delivered. That crappy SCG wicket experience has definitely come in handy - he';s probably the best pace bowler in the country in the moment on dustbowls lilke this.

Australia are on the brink of a truly amazing series victory, one that will go down in the annals of the history of Australian cricket.

A remarkable performance considering the injuries to key players - a proud moment for Ricky Ponting and the rest of the team. Ponting set the foundation for this win, attacking batting, panther like fielding - one even got the sense that he'd take the ball if need be. It didn't come to that but surely at times it was close.

Bollinger steamed, as did Johnson, as did all the bowlers. But Ponting was truly magnificent, arguably one of our greatest ever ODI captains. **** it, the greatest ever ODI captain.

He will have a unique chance, unless a drastic loss of form happens between now and then, to take Australia to a 4th straight world cup trophy, and the 3rd as captain.

A truly remarkable feat.

They might struggle in the world cup, their first choice players might be fit :p

A good example of why the ODI game is struggling tonight, in a 7 match, long and drawn out series the shit games are more likely than good ones and that was a snorefest all match

Remarkable performance by Australia, considering we were 2-1 down in the series and losing players by the day.
Something special this is and it is very scary for the rest of the world.

2009 has been an interesting ODI year for Australia, horrible at home, we've since won 6-1 in England, won the Champions Trophy and have won in India.

We have found some players too. Cam White, I knew he was a capable batsman simply being wasted at 7-8. Given the chance he has blossomed into a quality batsman and can play from 3-6 with ease. His average has moved to around 32-33 and he has hit 1 century and 5 50's. He has mixed determined grinding innings with smashing innings, very impressive. He hasn't bowled much at all too, interesting, it would be handy if his bowling did improve so he could provide us with another option.

We all know how well Ferguson has done.

Bollinger has been underused this year in ODI's and given the chance has impressed in nearly each game. Must surely be close to a second test cap. I'd have him in each ODI team now. Johnson, Bollinger, Hauritz, Lee. Siddle as back up.

Also, we have found a future keeper batsman in Tim Paine. Averaged round 31-32 and his a century early on. The future.

Exciting times.

Don't forget Clarke, Bracken, Haddin, Ferguson, Lee, Hopes, Siddle, Paine were missing from this side in the past two matches. An amazing performance.

Also been impressed with Manou's glovework.

eddiesmith;374356 said:
They might struggle in the world cup, their first choice players might be fit :p

A good example of why the ODI game is struggling tonight, in a 7 match, long and drawn out series the shit games are more likely than good ones and that was a snorefest all match

It would have been great if it was a 5 match series, and that match the other night was the match to decide the series.

That match was an all-time classic, that if played 5 or 10 years ago would be talked about for years to come. Yet no-one has hardly talked about it, which to me seems a consquence of the saturation of cricket at the moment.

If it decided a series locked at 2-2 it would have been a great tonic for the ODI format.

Bennycoff;374364 said:
Remarkable performance by Australia, considering we were 2-1 down in the series and losing players by the day.
Something special this is and it is very scary for the rest of the world.

2009 has been an interesting ODI year for Australia, horrible at home, we've since won 6-1 in England, won the Champions Trophy and have won in India.

We have found some players too. Cam White, I knew he was a capable batsman simply being wasted at 7-8. Given the chance he has blossomed into a quality batsman and can play from 3-6 with ease. His average has moved to around 32-33 and he has hit 1 century and 5 50's. He has mixed determined grinding innings with smashing innings, very impressive. He hasn't bowled much at all too, interesting, it would be handy if his bowling did improve so he could provide us with another option.

We all know how well Ferguson has done.

Bollinger has been underused this year in ODI's and given the chance has impressed in nearly each game. Must surely be close to a second test cap. I'd have him in each ODI team now. Johnson, Bollinger, Hauritz, Lee. Siddle as back up.

Also, we have found a future keeper batsman in Tim Paine. Averaged round 31-32 and his a century early on. The future.

Exciting times.

Don't forget Clarke, Bracken, Haddin, Ferguson, Lee, Hopes, Siddle, Paine were missing from this side in the past two matches. An amazing performance.

Also been impressed with Manou's glovework.

No mention of Ricky Ponting?

Anyone see Clarke in the social pages at the Spring Carnival while his team-mates are in India slogging it out. It doesn't make for a good look for the future captain of Australia to have Lara Bingle on his arm at the Spring Carnival.

If his back is crock then he should be doing everything in his power to get it right, if that means gym work to strengthen his back, im not sure.

Ponting has often been slated in the past - with people saying his captainicy only has a good win/loss ratio because of the players that played under him.

Well he has just led a series win in India with basically an A-team.

While the chosen one is swanning around the Spring Carnival with his model girlfriend.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;374367 said:
It would have been great if it was a 5 match series, and that match the other night was the match to decide the series.

That match was an all-time classic, that if played 5 or 10 years ago would be talked about for years to come. Yet no-one has hardly talked about it, which to me seems a consquence of the saturation of cricket at the moment.

If it decided a series locked at 2-2 it would have been a great tonic for the ODI format.
Yeah like a team chasing down 435 to win a 5 match series? :D

Just on Bollinger, I'm not sold on him at all, done superbly in India and that will see him in the world cup squad surely, but often struggles outside of those shit pitches, lucky he plays on one at home

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;374350 said:
Australia are on the brink of a truly amazing series victory, one that will go down in the annals of the history of Australian cricket.
Oh brother. There you go again.

In 12 months, nobody will remember the series score. Its just one more in a long line of irrelevant, overlength series.

Speak for yourself. Who do you support by the way?

The only other series I can think of that rivals it is the tri-series against India, New Zealand and Australia in India in late 2003.

From memory we had a bowling attack of Brad Williams, Nathan Bracken, Ian Harvey, Brad Hogg and I think Kasper (who was recalled after a 2 year absence for that series).

We were missing Lee, McGrath, Dizzy.

I remember the final Ian Harvey bowled us to a great victory.

Maybe the casual cricket fan will forget it, but they are exactly that, they are part-timers who only watch the main events.

This series win was a magnificient achievement, just because the average joe-blow in the street might not remember it a year from now doesn't even it should not be celebrated.

The anti-Ponting group are silent, the pressure will also start to build on Michael Clarke once he returns to the team. White has been superb and surely he will start to apply pressure on Clarke's batting position if Clarke starts struggling as he was pre-injury.

As I said earlier, being photographed all decked out at the races with Lara Bingle in one hand doesn't look good for a future leader of Australia. Especially when his team-mates are currently over in India slogging it out.

Clarke should at least have the intelligence to realise that it might not be the best thing to do. The more I read and hear, the more i get the feeling that Clarke isn't exactly the most liked person in the Australian team.

It's a seven-match series. It means nothing - they're not even competing for a trophy. Each team plays 30+ ODIs a year. A couple of the matches will be remembered as really good ones, that's about it.

That's just the way it is with ODI cricket. Too many games, too many meaningless series for them to be remembered. It's just the rare great matches that stand the test of time. Everyone remembers the first match of Australia's 2006 tour of South Africa, and the second one was a cracker as well. But who remembers the result of the fourth game, even though that was a very close and hard-fought series?

The fact you can't think of a better ODI series prior to 2003 kind of speaks volumes about how memorable they are. It's all about the World Cup.

I ask you again, which team do you support, for mine its a crucial bit of information to form a judgment on your view - to give it some context.

For example, if your an English fan it one might interpret your opinion as one of a bitter Enlgand supporter who is simply envious of the fact that once again Australia haven't lied down after a setback, and if anything, appear to have come back harder.

Must be packing thinking about the pain Punter Ponting is going to unleash on arguably the who biggest pie throwers away from home in Broad and Anderson.

The time is fast approaching. 25th November, 2010.

Come get some.

eddiesmith;374371 said:
Yeah like a team chasing down 435 to win a 5 match series? :D

Just on Bollinger, I'm not sold on him at all, done superbly in India and that will see him in the world cup squad surely, but often struggles outside of those shit pitches, lucky he plays on one at home

Surprise surprise Edward not sold on a bowler that comes from NSW. Who would have thought.

And Clint McKay is a superstar I presume, FFS, I love your work.:D

Ricky Ponting's captaincy has been impressive post Ashes. However, I think he's always been a good ODI captain as he makes more changes and goes with his gut feeling.

I thought he did a fair job in the Ashes to be honest, there were a couple of times you might have said "im not sure about that" but the losing captain always has those moments.

Ponting's captainicy always appear to be on trial, people forget that his been in the test job since the end of 2003 and he could quite easily captain the ODI team for a decade before he retires.

No other Australian captain has had to deal with a situation where his gone from having a great bowling lineup (2003-2006) to an good lineup (2007-2008) to a inconsistent lineup where you really don't know what your going to get.

Going from Warne to Hauritz is quite a step, not many captains have had to do it, Ponting should be supported rather than ridiculed.

Thats what the English do, I still remember watching an ODI earlier this year and hearing people greet ponting to the after match ceremony with "piss off Ponting", "**** off home". Didn't have to wait long for that to be beaten, with Strauss made to feel right at home with a "your a ****ing disgrace".

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;374525 said:
Surprise surprise Edward not sold on a bowler that comes from NSW. Who would have thought.

And Clint McKay is a superstar I presume, FFS, I love your work.:D
I dont rate McKay much either, more use in the longer version as his bowling is easy to get after, however he is also a wicket taker as he is a smart bowler so if you have the batting strength then he may be worth the risk

As for Bollinger, I find it hard to rate anyone who averages 201 at the MCG in first class cricket :p Or someone who averages over 40 in County cricket. He does well on pitches like India and the SCG, struggles elsewhere, just look at the 350 game, it was the debutant McKay bowling well, Bollinger got absolutely smashed

No it isn't at all, most of the time people's opinions are based on what team they support.

You see it with commentators all the time, with journos, with fans as well.

Which team do you support?

Actually, most of the time people's opinions are based on synthesizing evidence into educated conclusions, not blind rhetoric based on which team they support.

Come off it, listen to any cricket commentator and tell me that their opinions are not influenced by the team/players they support.

Tell me Tony Greig doesn't jump on the back of any incident involving Australian. I remember when the whole thing at the SCG erupted in 2008 with India. The next day Tony Greig was giving a serious opinion and basically saying that Symo probably deserved it.

He didn't know the facts, but his opinion was shaped primarily because of his relative dislike for Australian cricket.

If you support England then your not going to be jumping up and down at Australia's success, instead you'll probably try and pass it off because no-one "will remember it in a years time".

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;374618 said:
Come off it, listen to any cricket commentator and tell me that their opinions are not influenced by the team/players they support.

Tell me Tony Greig doesn't jump on the back of any incident involving Australian. I remember when the whole thing at the SCG erupted in 2008 with India. The next day Tony Greig was giving a serious opinion and basically saying that Symo probably deserved it.

He didn't know the facts, but his opinion was shaped primarily because of his relative dislike for Australian cricket.

If you support England then your not going to be jumping up and down at Australia's success, instead you'll probably try and pass it off because no-one "will remember it in a years time".
My point has nothing to do with discounting Australia's performance. It's about how unmemorable ODI series are. If you were paying attention, you'd have noticed that one of the other unmemorable series I mentioned (despite several great games) was the 2006 Australia in South Africa series - which South Africa won.

That was an awesome, nailbiting series at the time with some great matches - way better than this one. But does anyone really remember it? Not really. A couple of the matches will be remembered. The fifth and deciding one in particular. But at the end of the day nobody really remembers how the series went down - who won which matches and when.

ODI 'series' don't mean anything - they're just a convenient way to group together a string of one-off events. How many proper ODI series trophies can you name? I can think of one - the Chappell-Hadlee trophy. Contrast that with Test cricket. There's never any talk of 'retaining' or 'recovering' an ODI series title the next time a pair of teams meet. Put simply, nobody cares.

Tournaments are the only thing that matters in ODI cricket - the World Cup, and maybe the Champions Trophy.

Back