Australia in India

Re: Australia in India

Sober Symonds;374111 said:
I make no apologies for expecting Marsh to be better than he has been. If he's coming back from a lay off for whatever reason, that is no excuse. This is the Australian team, not the Warriors. They play for Australia if & when they're good enough, surely we demand that. If they're not ready, they don't play, simple. There are plenty of bats queuing up who are fit, in form, red hot & raring to go, sitting on the sidelines. To afford someone time & embarassment to pick up the pieces is out of the question - unless maybe you are a Ponting, McGrath, Warne or Gilchrist.
Like I said though, hopefully Marsh can now get on with it. His fielding as Eddie has previously stated, is ordinary. He needs to set up wins.
I don't know about judging one-day openers on averages. The way the game is, it's easy to just stay in and make a score. His father did it to painstaking effect in the 80's. How you make them, and at what rate has more to do with the impact of an opener.

Marsh so far has a slightly lower then you would want strike rate, with it being 77, but I would think that it would raise. Last game saw him score at a rate of about 85 the whole innings, once he got past about the 15 mark, then lifting it to 100 at the end. I'm sure, and have seen him, bat faster then that consistently, not that it matters when you have Watson batting at the other end, need someone to steady the ship.

20 games is the limit for averages to start being included, so I think that once you reach the 20 games mark you should be considered as a part of the team. He is almost there, and will be by the end of the series, so I would like to think that someone like him would have a more or less straight forward re-entry to ODIs, the way he has batting lower for a game, not playing the next, then coming back where he used to be. Just getting his body used to it all. Seems as if the selectors like him, and so they should.

I think he is just as Australia need in the line-up, a player that can steady the ship and can blast away when he feels necessary. Gone are the days of having Hayden and Gilchrist, both can steady and smash sixes all day. There needs to be someone who can pack a punch continuously, scare bowlers, and someone who can keep a steady flow of runs while keeping his wicket in tact. Watson and Marsh, perfect. Would like to see it Warner and Marsh in a couple of years.

Sober Symonds;374111 said:
I make no apologies for expecting Marsh to be better than he has been. If he's coming back from a lay off for whatever reason, that is no excuse. This is the Australian team, not the Warriors. They play for Australia if & when they're good enough, surely we demand that. If they're not ready, they don't play, simple. There are plenty of bats queuing up who are fit, in form, red hot & raring to go, sitting on the sidelines. To afford someone time & embarassment to pick up the pieces is out of the question - unless maybe you are a Ponting, McGrath, Warne or Gilchrist.
Like I said though, hopefully Marsh can now get on with it. His fielding as Eddie has previously stated, is ordinary. He needs to set up wins.
I don't know about judging one-day openers on averages. The way the game is, it's easy to just stay in and make a score. His father did it to painstaking effect in the 80's. How you make them, and at what rate has more to do with the impact of an opener.
Cripes. Harsh much? Third game back after a six month injury layoff he scores a run-a-ball ton, and you're slagging him off. The last proper series he played was against South Africa in January and he played very solidly then.

If we enforced your standards for dropping players, we'd be cycling through them quicker than Brett Lee through sweatbands.

Ok, we'll see how he continues. One thing to keep in mind is it's fine just to hold up an end and scratch around to ensure your own survival whilst someone up the other end is clubbing it about. Watson won't always do that though, and nor will Ponting. Eventually you have to make your own stamp on the match when the team needs you, not when you're ready. So let's hope Marsh has the game for it.

Before I go:

"White did extremely well. Perfect finish from for him. Nothing else to say."
- Fair enough.

"Hussey, even better finish then White, if that was possible."
- There you go! You did it again. You made a (positive) statement about him, and could have left it at "nuff said". But you couldn't. You had to trump him with the MEK Hussey crack. "Perfect" suddenly becomes less than perfect, in order for your old fav not to risk being upstaged. We understand your leanings, but how you justify 31 off 22 with 2 fours and a six out-doing 57 from 33 with 5 over the fence is something I can't wait to read.

From memory, and correct me if I'm wrong his South African series went as such:

79, 63*, 50, 43, 15, 3 or something similar. Not too bad at all.

Sober Symonds;374117 said:
Ok, we'll see how he continues. One thing to keep in mind is it's fine just to hold up an end and scratch around to ensure your own survival whilst someone up the other end is clubbing it about. Watson won't always do that though, and nor will Ponting. Eventually you have to make your own stamp on the match when the team needs you, not when you're ready. So let's hope Marsh has the game for it.

Before I go:

"White did extremely well. Perfect finish from for him. Nothing else to say."
- Fair enough.

"Hussey, even better finish then White, if that was possible."
- There you go! You did it again. You made a (positive) statement about him, and could have left it at "nuff said". But you couldn't. You had to trump him with the MEK Hussey crack. "Perfect" suddenly becomes less than perfect, in order for your old fav not to risk being upstaged. We understand your leanings, but how you justify 31 off 22 with 2 fours and a six out-doing 57 from 33 with 5 over the fence is something I can't wait to read.

Because I'm trying the old trickery through interpretation to make sure people understand my feelings about certain players.

White is new to the team. A fifty in his first few games is not only expected, but would be a seeming requirement. He is a slogger when he chooses to be, and only lately is he hinting that he can do otherwise. He went in to slog the other night and got a duck. Consistent, much.

Hussey went in for a slog the other night and succeeded. Hussey went in for the death overs and passed the strike over to Bear White to do what he did. I guarantee you, if Symonds was White's partner in that game, White would have ended up with about 15 with Roy hogging the strike. Hussey passed it to him, then got his eye in and went for it as it isn't his natural game.

It may sound like I'm trying to downgrade White's performance, but I'm not. His was technically better then Huss's, but he wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't for him.

What you said is exactly right, I am paying my respects to who I want to give it to. I though Hussey's innings was better, so I said it. I was aiming for bias. Otherwise it's like going to a footy match and saying, that team is my favourite, but I will barrack for the other team equally and fairly as much as my favourite team.

I also contradicted myself saying that Hussey's was better then the perfect of White's. I then said after, 'if that is at all possible', correcting my contradiction in the hope that it would enforce a sort of sarcasm to the statement.

Boris;374116 said:
From memory, and correct me if I'm wrong his South African series went as such:

79, 63*, 50, 43, 15, 3 or something similar. Not too bad at all.

Who? What? I'm not sure I'm with you.

Last night's batting at the end was fantastic. If anything though, with a couple of overs to go Hussey was hacking a little bit and missing balls that should have been despatched. He looked worried, but responded well with perhaps the best of any sixes hit on the night.

Hussey was good at the death and yes he may have helped White by giving him the strike which it would have been IRRESPONSIBLE NOT TO DO. White outperformed Hussey with the bat and that is no shame.

White may have had greater opportunity by batting higher in the order but Hussey, and Boris' other love child Bevan, are made to seem even better than they are/were with the not outs they gathered from batting lower in the order. So when batting lower in the order works against them that is just what it is.

Over all, White was brilliant and hussey very good and intelligent (not that you need to belong to mensa to get the point).

Caesar;374043 said:
Gosh you're full of it.

Look, it was an unbelievable match, you can't ask for much better than that, with India needing 19 from 18 it was almost shut the gate stuff. To take 4 wickets and win that match from there was a great effort.

It was a great game, finally we are seeing two teams actually give a damn about one day cricket, and this is the result, a tightly contested series.

Unlike previous beltings, when one team (not naming names) throws the towel in and excuses a pathetic performance because they have the ashes and that no-one cares about ODI cricket anyway.

England have the ashes and nobody does care about ODIs. Australia would gladly lose 100 ODIs in a row to get the ashes back.

Evidence that Australia does not care about ODI's: Burt Cockley

Thumbs up;374128 said:
Hussey was good at the death and yes he may have helped White by giving him the strike which it would have been IRRESPONSIBLE NOT TO DO. White outperformed Hussey with the bat and that is no shame.

White may have had greater opportunity by batting higher in the order but Hussey, and Boris' other love child Bevan, are made to seem even better than they are/were with the not outs they gathered from batting lower in the order. So when batting lower in the order works against them that is just what it is.

Over all, White was brilliant and hussey very good and intelligent (not that you need to belong to mensa to get the point).

That's all I was trying to say. Sorry if I sounded like I am contradicting myself but I really didn't think that those few words would set this off. I wasn't intending this when I wrote it. I'm not going to comment any further on the White vs Hussey innings as it is a silly thing to argue over as the game was won with the involvement of every batsman and a well performing young bowling attack.

And I would appreciate you not talking about Bevan like that. Love child as he may be, you cannot doubt that he was or is was just about the best ODI batsman ever. Not outs are for a reason, to boost an average when a player doesn't get out. Otherwise Bevan would have ended up with an average in the low 40s when that doesn't represent just how good he was. In ODIs players batting at 6, 7, 8 generally don't score more then 30, but that 30 is quickfire and added to the total in the last ten overs. Therefore they need not outs to make their average higher to depict the player they actually are. The only time not outs really make wrong the average is when they have a very low amount of runs for the amount of games they played, or they have played less then 25 matches.

Bevan has no part of this argument and I think of him as the Bradman of ODIs.

a for effort;374145 said:
England have the ashes and nobody does care about ODIs. Australia would gladly lose 100 ODIs in a row to get the ashes back.

Evidence that Australia does not care about ODI's: Burt Cockley

What what a load of crap, only losers say no-one 'cares' about ODI. Tell that to Ricky Ponting, or the likes of Clint McKay, or even Sachin Tendulkar.

The Ashes are history, England are about to embark on a tour that will really tell us how good they are.

The Ashes are not like an afl grand final, in the sense that some teams may not play off in a grand final for decades.

The ashes come around every 2 years, the next series is just over a year away, we will have our chance at regaining them.

However, you can't excuse poor performances by saying "we have the ashes and you don't".

If England fall into that trap, and there already is evidence that they have, then before you know it England will have lost the Ashes, and they'll be back to square one.

I dont give a stuff about the ashes anymore, there is some sort of sense that the ashes are the holy grail, in reality its a little urn a few cm's tall.

I want to see Australian cricket maintain high standards, both on and off the field.

It would have been very easy for Australia after losing the ashes to fall into a pit of self-pity. They could have said "we were dudded in the last test with the pitch, the umpiring was ordinary, ec" but they didn't.

Credit has to go to Ponting and the team for maintaining their drive.

The Ashes are gone, finished. Move on.

You sure sound like you still care about the Ashes.

Also, Australia care about ODI's so much that they've sent Burt freaking Cockley over to save the day

Sober Symonds said:
I make no apologies for expecting Marsh to be better than he has been. If he's coming back from a lay off for whatever reason, that is no excuse.

Marsh's innings was no different to any other player who has spent half the year on the sidelines with an injury. His innings was scratchy at first, but Marsh didn't have to do anything spectacular with Watson scoring at better than a run-a-ball anyway. After managing to get into some rythym, Marsh converted his start and reached 100, setting up a huge platform for a big score which was later finished off by White and Hussey. Can't ask for much more than that.

Sober Symonds said:
I don't know about judging one-day openers on averages.

Really? Cause an average of 42.35 with a strike rate of almost 78 is pretty damn good for an opener I reckon.

Sober Symonds said:
The way the game is, it's easy to just stay in and make a score.

No, it's not. Not even close to being easy. A good pitch may make it easier for the batters to get a score but a pitch suited to the bowlers makes it a lot harder to make runs. The comparison in regards to averages is no different to test cricket, the only diference is the thresholds are varied.

Sober Symonds said:
His father did it to painstaking effect in the 80's. How you make them, and at what rate has more to do with the impact of an opener.

ODI cricket 20 years ago is a lot different to what it is now. The game is faster, quicker has much better scoring and the players are have more tricks, tactics, strategies than what they did in the 80's. A score of 230 in the 80's was like scoring 300 in today's 50-over games.

In saying that, players who accumulate their runs rather than go for an all-out attack approach still have a place in the one-day game and will continue to do so for a long time.

Johnson on fire early, the second wicket knocking the stump out of the ground was a pearler :)

**** off Bollinger gets Tendulkar caught and bowled.

Looks like a funeral out there atm lol.

What a way to get out lol, Singh accidentally knocks the ball back onto his stumps trying to put his bat back in his crease.

India in tatters at the moment, 7/75 in the middle of the 31st over. They had slipped to 5/27 before Dhoni and Jadeja came together and slowly put runs on the board for India. But that all ended as Bollinger was brought back into the attack, striking first ball to get rid of Dhoni and then two balls later bowling Harbhajan for his second duck in a row.

Bollinger has 4/6, Johnson 3/26 in what has been a super bowling performance. 8 maidens from the 30 completed overs before Bollinger's current one.

Need to be knocking them over pretty cheaply now, wouldn't want to be chasing much more than 130 on this pitch.

Very poor effort to let India back in letting them score 170.

This wont be an easy run chase, you would think the spinners will play a big role.

Back