Australia tour of India 2010

What will be the outcome for for the India-Australia Tests?

• Draw (India retains the trophy)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Australia tour of India 2010

Boris;409634 said:
Who has been watching it?

Watson really clamped down hard, he was relying on his good form to bring him through. Every ball seemed to trouble him a bit, but he kept the all out comfortably by stonewalling. I think it was a very good thing he did that, because Clarke started having trouble too once Dhoni did the right thing and started setting very good fields (can't say the same about his lacklustre keeping), and only lasted a couple of balls while trying to play shots, Hussey bunkered down as well and did well to last as long as he did, it finally took a half stroke from him to get out. So Watson bunkering down was practically all he could do, today he will have to take on the challenge of scoring a bit more and get Australia to a half decent total.

The pitch doesn't seem as friendly as it appears, so for Austraia's sake, maybe with the better bowling attack of the two they could make something of it.

For India's sake they should hope Sharma is out for the rest of the Test, they've shown they don't really need him. I hate the guy, but Sreesanth should get a run next Test, Sharma is getting a bit beyond a joke now.

Paine's got to play his best ever innings here to bring Australia to an unreachable total.

We were 2 for 150 not 7 for 150. He didn't attempt to attack the bowling at all. He was blocking half volleys that were doing literally nothing. Singh was bowling terrible and he didn't try to loft him or sweep him. Seriously, I'd rather see us lose by having a crack rather than see us lose by blocking it out for a day and a half. We went from a strong position to a very bad one when there weren't even wickets falling.

OhMyGodTheChips;409637 said:
We were 2 for 150 not 7 for 150. He didn't attempt to attack the bowling at all. He was blocking half volleys that were doing literally nothing. Singh was bowling terrible and he didn't try to loft him or sweep him. Seriously, I'd rather see us lose by having a crack rather than see us lose by blocking it out for a day and a half. We went from a strong position to a very bad one when there weren't even wickets falling.

He was striking at 62% up until the fall of Clarke's wicket. The pitch isn't offering enough for boundaries and Watson has a habit of getting out caught. A SR of 60 is all you could hope for out of an opener, it was only the over before Clarke's wicket when Dhoni really changed the field and brought on Ojha again that tied both of them down. Clarke wanted to capitalise on the strong position and he fell playing a cut shot when you shouldn't be playing any shot across the line on this pitch. Hussey bunkered down, probably waiting for the new ball, as did Watson who hasn't looked all that good.

The spinners and Khan can't be put away with this old ball. They are up to over 99 now and haven't taken the new ball, they've even had to replace the ball because the other one was falling apart. Australia have decided to play the waiting game and it looks like India aren't going to be outdone on that front.

In his partnership with Clarke he faced something like 36 balls for 4 runs. Again, we were 2 for 150 and 3 for 200. We weren't in trouble, the full balls weren't even being punched to the mid-off or mid-on or cover, they were being blocked.

After Ponting got out, Watson made 35 runs off about 160 balls at a strike rate of 27. He faced the majority of balls and still couldn't rotate the strike even though he was the man in.

Watson out for 126, facing 338 balls for his highest test score. Watson edged one from Harbhajan Singh onto his pad, it then bobbled up and Gambhir took it at short leg.

6/276 now, Johnson the new man in is on two and Paine is up to 25.

I think everyone is being harsh on Watson, pitch isn't that great to bat on and at least he was able to stay there and not give his wicket away.

Ljp86;409640 said:
Watson out for 126, facing 338 balls for his highest test score. Watson edged one from Harbhajan Singh onto his pad, it then bobbled up and Gambhir took it at short leg.

6/276 now, Johnson the new man in is on two and Paine is up to 25.

I think everyone is being harsh on Watson, pitch isn't that great to bat on and at least he was able to stay there and not give his wicket away.

I've had a think about it and considering how much he likes going for his shots, that was an interesting innings as it proves he can really knuckle down and put away the drive if he thinks necessary. And considering the Aussie's skill at collapsing in the past two years, a player being able to be that flexible that is probably what we need.

Only thing is, we don't want too many of them doing that. But if Watto can be that disciplined it can only be a good thing for Aus test cricket.

Johnson finally gone for a well made 47. Now Hauritz comes in and he's not too bad at all with the bat either.

Scoring rate has lifted now, India are very tired now, and Johnson has been helping himself to half volley after half volley, and nobody in the field is bothering to move anymore. There are lots of twos on offer now as well as the field is out and they aren't attacking the ball anymore, just letting the Aussies have the runs.

India have to take the new ball. It would have to be because Sharma is injured that they haven't taken it, but things have gone too far now. India need some sort of a medium pacer in the squad, all the part timers are spinners and in this case they leave India with few options with only two pace men in the squad.

Also like to mention Paine's innings so far. He was dropped on 0 by Dhoni, but since then he as been steady, slowly raising his scoring rate. The future is looking good keeper-wise.

Great catch from Gambhir at short leg. Let's see if Hilfy and Bollinger can help bring this total above 400.

The Aussies are going to need it above 400 I think and use up a bit more time. If India get them they'll probably do it at a greater rate of knots than what we've seen so far in this Test, and as the commentators are saying, Australia will want them to attack with the sort of bowlers they have.

Harbhajan is making a bit of a comeback here after a day and a half of not much. He's starting to slow it up a bit more and it's spinning, good signs for India.

400 up for Australia, Zaheer bowls it way down the leg-side, Dhoni can't get it completely and that's four byes.

8/403, Paine up to 81, Hilfenhaus on 10. India finally took the new ball as well after 146.4 overs.

So close for Paine, there's nothing better than seeing a young batsman get his maiden century, but still very good signs from him.

Sehwag is starting well here, as usual. It's going to be interesting when Johnson comes on to bowl in a few overs with all his pre-match talk of bowling short at Virender. I'm set for some fiesty bowling to finish off the day.

EDIT: And Johnson is attacking. Might be a bit expensive today with Sehwag looking good, but he looks on target, two close calls with Gambhir, hitting Sehwag on the forearm pad and had Gambhir jumping.

Sehway explosion!

Wow, I've seen him bat before but you never get used to it. 50 from 38 balls, doesn't matter who the bowler is, they are going to the fence.

EDIT: Breakthrough for Johnson!

This Test match has just gone off. Johnson gets Gambhir caught in front and his first balls to Dravid look good. There has been so much talk about Johnson in three media of late so things are getting heated. He's still spraying it a little, but he's troubling Dravid and has a bit of swing going too. Hope for the Aussies if they can keep Sehwag away.

Johnson again! Sehwag gone!

Johnson's rib ball tactic worked, Sehwag got a leading edge to cover, Clarke snavelling it. He tested his patience with a madien over outside off stump, then surprised him with a short one. Everyone is getting their money's worth today.

Sharma out as nightwatchmen.

EDIT: That's the end of the day's play, unfortunately. Great session, had a bit of everything. Johnson didn't look in complete control but he was bowling to plan and it worked. All the other bowlers were being kept out easily, Hilfenhaus beat the bat a couple of times but not much else.

India I would have to say are in front until the next two wickets fall. India bat down to 7 very, very strongly, every one of them can take the match away from the opposition and they are going to have to do that tomorrow.

I sense a draw coming on...

Boris;409655 said:
Johnson again! Sehwag gone!

Johnson's rib ball tactic worked, Sehwag got a leading edge to cover, Clarke snavelling it. He tested his patience with a madien over outside off stump, then surprised him with a short one. Everyone is getting their money's worth today.

Sharma out as nightwatchmen.

EDIT: That's the end of the day's play, unfortunately. Great session, had a bit of everything. Johnson didn't look in complete control but he was bowling to plan and it worked. All the other bowlers were being kept out easily, Hilfenhaus beat the bat a couple of times but not much else.

India I would have to say are in front until the next two wickets fall. India bat down to 7 very, very strongly, every one of them can take the match away from the opposition and they are going to have to do that tomorrow.

I sense a draw coming on...

I thought Johnson was the only one who looked at all threatening. The wicket nullified the others. And Veru had his eye in early.

Beeswax;409662 said:
I thought Johnson was the only one who looked at all threatening. The wicket nullified the others. And Veru had his eye in early.

I'm not sure if it was just the wicket, though, Hilfenhaus and Bollinger seemed to have an off morning. Johnson was getting some good swing out there, but Hilfy and Bollinger got nil. When Johnson is getting some good consistent swing, Hilfenhaus should be bowling banana balls.

Hilfy was also just putting the ball out there to be hit. Everyone knows you give absolutely not width to Sehwag, you want to be bowling practically on middle stump, but Hilfy was bowling about a foot wide of off stump and just getting crunched.

Let's hope today there's some slightly more competitive bowling than just Johnson. Either that or we get to see a Tendulkar special.

Paine just missed a pretty easy stumping, unfortunate that he's had a perfect match so far, I've been impressed by him.

Bollinger picked up the nightwatchmen and then finally Dravid, but he hasn't really been bowling that well, neither has Johnson. Johnson's been reasonably economical but the haven't looked troubled by him. Hilfenhaus is the pick so far even though he has gone wicketless, but still not troubling them all that much. Hauritz has been pretty good so far as well.

Tendulkar is progressing towards his 49th Test century, and he'll probably get it judging by the way he has played. If Australia want a chance of winning this they need at least two quick wickets right now. Raina has brought up his 50 and Tendulkar is in the 80s now.

EDIT: Tendulkar misses out, LBW on 98, as did Raina, falling in his 80s.

And at the end of the day Australia get themselves a handy 23 run lead after bowling the Indians out for 405. Johnson really heated it up at the end of the day, that's where he always seems better, probably something to do with his fitness levels. He walks away with a 5 wicket haul, letting through 64 runs at around 3.5 an over and also managing to get himself on a hat trick, getting Dhoni and then Harbhajan in two balls.

Hauritz probably deserved one or two more, he only got 2/116, toiling away into his 30th over, he did have a comically dropped sitter off Watson in the deep, only moments after taking a very good low, but probably a touch controversial, catch in the slips to get Dhoni. I think he just got his fingers under that one, but there were millimetres in it and the third umpire judged it out.

North bowled pretty well too, so at least he was making up for his failure with the bat. This could quite possibly be his last Test for a little while so he's going to want to make sure he's making runs next innings.

India all out for 405, they fell away pretty quickly after Tendulkar got out. Johnson ended up with five wickets with Bollinger and Hauritz taking two.

Tendulkar scored 98 and was unlucky not to reach three figures, Raina made 86 and Dravid scored 77. The tail folded pretty quickly and included an injured VVS Laxman who made only 2.

Interesting two days remaining then, game is certainly up for grabs and tomorrow will go a long way to deciding which way the game will go.

fairly good position for the Aussies at days end considering India dominated most of the day...and personally i didnt think the Aussies scored enough runs, or at least quickly enough given the conditions in the first innings

this is why we love Test cricket.

Roy00;409707 said:
fairly good position for the Aussies at days end considering India dominated most of the day...and personally i didnt think the Aussies scored enough runs, or at least quickly enough given the conditions in the first innings

this is why we love Test cricket.

I thought they didn't score fast enough either, but honestly, rather a snail pace than a collapse.

This game is dangerously poised considering how fragile the Aussie batting is and how mediocre our spin bowlers. If the pitch plays up tomorrow, it could be a very exciting day.

Johnson showing off his all-rounder aspirations again and how he likes bowling on rubbish pitches. I never really get that player. You know he's got six fivefors now in his career. The first time I saw him bowl, I wouldn't have given you tuppence for him getting one.

i think Hauritz in an ok spinner...just that Indian top order batsmen generally play offspin very well. especially in their conditions.
i dont think their spin attack is any better.

I thought Bolly bowled well and Hilfenhaus in patches
they may have got some wickets for Johnson by building some pressure

Johnson is such a frustrating player as he seems to do just enough to keep his place in the side, yet not enough to help us win matches consistently

North has to do something.

Has been average since the Ashes ended and needs to find form.
Doubt that'd stop the selectors from picking him though. Him and Hussey should have immense pressure on them to keep there spot from younger batsmen who'd take the chance.

MaxyWalker;409766 said:
North has to do something.

Has been average since the Ashes ended and needs to find form.
Doubt that'd stop the selectors from picking him though. Him and Hussey should have immense pressure on them to keep there spot from younger batsmen who'd take the chance.

Well they are both out there now, so let's see how they go. Australia really do need them to score biggishly here. Doesn't need to be two tons, chasing there is never easy and nobody ever really does it (highest total chased down is 144 in fact).

North and Huss have to really clamp down and bat the rest of this day. They are on the back foot here so they have to give India a shorter amount of time to decide whether they are going to chase it down or settle for a draw. If they chase they'll have to do it with a bit of extravagance and as such might have to take some risks.

I would be settling with something around 230-250 as par, anything more than that is good but they'll have to get there quickly.

I have to say, though, I like slow scoring rates with a batsman anchoring down Gavaskar style. I'm a little odd in that way, like the endurance of Test cricket.

EDIT: Tough decision for Hussey, that definitely wasn't out, terrible decision, but given LBW anyway for a patient 28, good innings for the conditions. Ian Gould hasn't umpired very well I think this match, but for once Billy Bowden has been exceptional, not a thing wrong.

Back