Australia vs England - The Ashes 2021/22

How does Ben Stokes feel after seeing Mitchell Starc pass him on the ICC all rounder list. Perhaps not quite the super hero he is made out to be by the England press. I am baffled as have never rated Starc as an all rounder.

I think we have our future opening spots sewn up. Possible recallees like Renshaw, Handscomb or Bancroft can battle it out for any middle order spots that open up. The three should be considered for the sub cont tours as they all are competent spin players. But we know that wont happen as CA does not split a winning team.

Ok he has done fine with ball and bat this series.. his first success with the ball in past three series or so. But why is CA talking up Mitchell Starc as an all rounder. I know why, to shore up his spot in our frontline attack and ward off any negative or critical talk of his dumping. Hello CA, 1700 runs and a mere ten 50s from 95 innings does not scream out 'I am all round status". A uselful late order bat, yes.

The opening spots look sorted with Hunt, Street and possibly Tim Ward if he can keep his early career form going. Bancroft could possibly be in the mix for an opening spot if he gets back into form and also Whiteman should he continue the form he has showed over the past couple of years.

I would think Renshaw and Khawaja would be in the mix for a middle order spot in the short term should any vacancies arise.

I don't see Bancroft playing as a middle order player, purely as an opener only I would have thought. He has not batted outside the top two for WA in recent times.

Ritchie said:
I have been pushing for Sam for some time now. His batting has come along in leaps and bounds since he handed the WA gloves to Inglis after his shocking finger injury. He has steadily improved his returns past three shield seasons @34 19/20, @40 20/21, @47 21/22. I'd have had him over Harris past two years.

Sam is a great player and would no doubt be Australia's wicketkeeper at the moment if weren't for his finger injury several years ago which forced him to give up keeping. He was a very solid bat at seven for WA and was a very good gloveman, it was very unfortunate he had the issues he did with his fingers.

This.

I also reckon that Cam Bancroft needs to play at sheffield shield level and be serious at his craft. Instead of being somebody who is always negative about who is currently in the Aussie team when the fact is he dobbed them in for something he did himself.

It's like all the haters who don't like Justin Langer. Justin's awesome. We know this because of how good he was when he coached the scorchers for the first few years.

Bancroft is playing Shield cricket at the moment, his 2020/21 season was very good with an average of 48.42 but this season his average has dropped down to 22.66 before the break for the Big Bash League. I still think he can offer something at a higher level but he needs to find form again soon as there are a number of suitors for an opening gig and it's going to come down to form amongst those guys in terms of who comes into the side when a spot becomes available.

Certainly do. These conditions, tho, have been the same as yesterday when two balls were used.. The changed ball clearly offered more movement to my eye. Probable reason was a drier seam.

England have made inroads with the second cherry. The new Kooka is providing just sufficient nibble to beat the bat.

Cameron Green has struggled against the moving ball this series.. and he is not the only one. But will CA now decide they may have handed the youngster his baggy green cap a touch too soon given he has to hone two disciplines and that take lots of time. So now the selectors have to make the decision that impacts his immediate future by either keeping him in the Test squad or asking him to go back to state cricket or even club cricket to work on one or two technical issues.

Baggers

Green was perhaps exposed too soon at a higher level and is struggling a bit now. His bowling is keeping him in the side, just needs to get his batting sorted. Going back to a lower level might help but there are not any Shield games for another month.

That is correct. Tall cricketers dont usually make elite batsmen. Green may be the exception. He is still young so has time on his side to polish his batting skills.

Inzamam-ul-Haq was 191 cms tall and averaged almost 50 in test cricket. Tall batters can play the game, they aren't as common but there are some taller players who have had good success at the highest level.

Besides the occasional great stuff with the ball I don't get the hype around Cam Green.

And don't start me on Harris. He wouldn't have got a look in in that average mid 80's team had he been born in that era.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Green averages more than 50 at first-class level. He can certainly play and can bat very well but is having issues at the moment, mostly outside off stump and knowing where his off-stump is. Hopefully he can sort out those issues soon otherwise his position in the side may come under some scrutiny.

Inzamam-ul-Haq was 191 cms tall
I am talking about tall timber. Green is 198cms. Those blokes either need a longer bat or drop to their knees to get closer to the ball on impact. Mike Hussey was saying that the 194cm tall Kevin Peterson had a similar problem to Green when starting out so he devised a way to change the elevation at which he was contacting the ball by dropping his hip when the ball left the bowler's hand to make himself shorter and closer to the ball. Perhaps Green needs to watch some footage of Petersen.

The opening spots look sorted with Hunt, Street and possibly Tim Ward if he can keep his early career form going.
Agree. They were the trio I was alluding too. I can not see Bancroft jumping them if opener is his only spot.

Do you think either Hunt or Street will make the Pakistan tour. Who is your squad. Toss up between Uzzie and Head. But if we are going on the Test standard quality of each century in this series.. definitely Usman.
This will be CA X1 and likely reserves.
Warner
Harris
Green
Usman/Head
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Reserves:
Swepson, Richardson, Boland, Inglis/Renshaw,

My squad:
Warner
Street/Hunt
Marnus
Smith
Green
Usman
Carey(w/k)
Cummins (c)
Starc/Richardson
Lyon
Hazlewood.

Swepson, Boland, Head, Renshaw/Handscomb/ Inglis. (Agar/Kuhnemann) in case they go with a third spinner and a 17 man squad.

Baggers

Last edited:
Delayed start at SCG.

Radar looking reasonably clear after this rain band goes. Hopefully this is the last of the remnants of that cyclone.

Restart at 12.10. Lunch now 1.30.

Last edited:
A wit on cricinfo posted this.
After rejecting Djokovic, it seems Australian immigration have now started an investigation into Joe Root's team for putting incorrect information on their visa forms when they all stated their occupation as "professional cricketers".

These are ideal swinging conditions so well suited to Starc. Lets see how he goes.

Last edited:
Green and Boland with pressure spells leading into lunch. 8 overs 8 maidens 3 wickets including skipper Joe Root. Going on that shot by Joe he is cooked mentally. So the Aussies again blowing away England.. 4/36 at lunch.

BOM radar showing there is barely any cloud within cooee of the SCG so why is it overcast with the tower lites on?

That is bizarre. That ball did not just shave the stumps it hit it hard yet the bails stayed on. Green denied another wicket and Stokes with another life.

Back