Australian ODI XI - Selection Thread

Re: Australian ODI XI - Selection Thread

Brad Hodge is out to remind the selectors he can play one day cricket this year, 2 centuries in 3 innings and he will still be around in 2011, no reason he shouldnt be in the ODI mix

56638074.jpg

He has to be one of the most unfortunate cricketers to be playing at the same time as Ponting and Hussey. Can still get his chance though if these injuries continue.

Not to be. Someone else will get their chance whilst he nurses a niggle. Unfortunate in that he has been unlucky. Most fortunate in that he can really, really bat.

Even Allan Border (a real "legend of the game") says it is a travesty Brad Hodge is not playing any form of the game at national level. "You just have to shake your head and wonder why," Border said.

I've said my piece before: any way you look at it, he cannot be denied.

Hodge must have personal issues with the selection panel and/or the team's leadership group. There's really no other reason why he would continue to be overlooked.

It also means that he will never be a regular member of the side, and is highly unlikely ever to be even an injury replacement. I certainly get the impression from interviews with a lot of guys who've played with him that he's not well liked amongst his teams.

Caesar;375728 said:
It also means that he will never be a regular member of the side, and is highly unlikely ever to be even an injury replacement. I certainly get the impression from interviews with a lot of guys who've played with him that he's not well liked amongst his teams.

Can you reference an interview though. Cos you hear this said a lot in forums, but i've never really seen it. Is it a myth?

courtjester;375747 said:
Can you reference an interview though. Cos you hear this said a lot in forums, but i've never really seen it. Is it a myth?
Can't reference it because it's more about whats not said. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Hodge in interviews, but I've also never heard anyone say anything particularly good.

What I mean is, when guys get dropped abruptly or seemingly unfairly (like Hughes) there's always a fair bit of vocal support from the team. "Tough on him", "he's a real talent and he'll be back in the team soon", that sort of thing. Even spuds like Lee who have no business in the Test side can rely on their mates like Ponting to talk them up regularly.

I've never seen anything like that regarding Hodges, which is doubly surprising given how seemingly rough he's been treated. If any of the Test guys talk about him at all (which its rare, usually because someone puts a direct question to them) it's always pretty neutral... "good batsman, wrong place wrong time, can count himself unlucky he was in this generation", that sort of thing.

Nobody says anything bad, I've just found it curious that there's a notable lack of other guys being willing to stick up for him.

From memory the last time Hodge played in an ODI series was in India in late 2007, he played 7 matchs (6 innings) and averaged 9.83.

That is a very poor return - this idea being thrown around that Hodge is the unluckiest cricketer ever doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

His a fine player, but his last outing in an ODI series was disgraceful for a man of his ability.

Exactly LtD he was given a decent go on tour against India and failed miserably averaging in single figures with a high score of 20.

A career average of 30 in 22 innings including as HS of 123 and his only ton against the Netherlands is hardly inspiring.

Wonder what Ricky Pontings record would be if you pulled out 7 test innings from 2001-2004 in India?

Its just a reality of it, he struggles in India, just like the Aussie captain did in test cricket. Look at the IPL, was shocking in year 1, brilliant this year in South Africa

Not good news for any World Cup hopes, but if he got a full series in Australia or England or South Africa he would make big scores

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;375882 said:
From memory the last time Hodge played in an ODI series was in India in late 2007, he played 7 matchs (6 innings) and averaged 9.83.

That is a very poor return - this idea being thrown around that Hodge is the unluckiest cricketer ever doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

His a fine player, but his last outing in an ODI series was disgraceful for a man of his ability.

I've been pointing to this stat for a while now. Not a good return for a player of Hodge's ability.

eddiesmith;375909 said:
Wonder what Ricky Pontings record would be if you pulled out 7 test innings from 2001-2004 in India?

Its just a reality of it, he struggles in India, just like the Aussie captain did in test cricket. Look at the IPL, was shocking in year 1, brilliant this year in South Africa

Not good news for any World Cup hopes, but if he got a full series in Australia or England or South Africa he would make big scores

Poor probably. But Ponting made the most of his chances though when he was given them whilst Hodge hasn't, even if his last major one-day series was in India.

Hodge is too old now anyway to be seriously considered for the one-day side. With the World Cup in 2011, Hodge will be 36 and that goes against the selection policy of Cricket Australia which is to find new blood for the 2011 campaign. And like Caesar has alerted to, it is questionable whether Hodge is liked by his teammates as well as the selection committee and that is always going to count against him.

eddiesmith;375909 said:

I have no doubt that if Brad Hodge was recalled to either the ODI team or the test team at the moment then he would score runs based on the form he is currently in.

However, last time he was given an extended run he made stuff all runs and was eventually dropped, for that he has no-one to blame but himself.

At the moment there is no place in either team for Brad Hodge, however, if an injury were to occur or a middle order batsmen was to be dropped then im pretty sure Hodge would be seriously considered as a replacement.

Especially at test level, from now until the Ashes next year the selectors will not be keen on 'blooding' rookie batsmen in the middle order simply because they will want the best option available for now, not for the future.

Hodge should concentrate on scoring more runs in case a position opens up - rather then helping journos write sympathetic pieces on his so called 'snubbing' from both Australian representative teams.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;375985 said:
I have no doubt that if Brad Hodge was recalled to either the ODI team or the test team at the moment then he would score runs based on the form he is currently in.

However, last time he was given an extended run he made stuff all runs and was eventually dropped, for that he has no-one to blame but himself.

At the moment there is no place in either team for Brad Hodge, however, if an injury were to occur or a middle order batsmen was to be dropped then im pretty sure Hodge would be seriously considered as a replacement.

Especially at test level, from now until the Ashes next year the selectors will not be keen on 'blooding' rookie batsmen in the middle order simply because they will want the best option available for now, not for the future.

Hodge should concentrate on scoring more runs in case a position opens up - rather then helping journos write sympathetic pieces on his so called 'snubbing' from both Australian representative teams.

You should be more clear and state that there is no place in either team for Brad Hodge, with the additional comment, because we insist on playing a shockingly out of form player in the middle order of the test team.

Be realistic about his chances, they are non existent. You may be right, that the selectors will not blood anymore youth in the test team but they have opening options and can move Watson down the order if a place becomes available in the middle.

The sort of scores Hodge made in his last ODIs were common of that of players that have had a very large amount of form at domestic level. It happens quite often where a player scores billions of runs domestically for a season and a half, then finally when there is an opening for them they get picked. But by the time they leave their team, put on different clothes, fly to a different country, be involved in different line ups in different roles with different requirements, then a lot of players fail. Two examples are Watson and Hughes. Both do well domestically, but by the time they were picked their form simply seemed to have run out.

We all pretty much agree that Hughes is the opener of the future, yet he has been pretty miserable so far (with exception to those centuries). Watson was the same, had an average of a whole 18 or something with the bat, but as was shown we know he can bat. Hodge is in the same boat, give him some time in different circumstances, like having his first games in Australia, he would definitely be going consistently and a fine batsman. The problem then goes straight back to the original answer, he wasn't in the time nor the place to be picked, mostly by luck. There isn't time to have him brought into the team and let him settle at his age. With the teams as they are now there isn't the choice to experiment with players by bringing in Hodgey just for an MCG Test or ODI.

I know he would have made a fine cricketer, and has been a fine cricketer, but with the age he grew up in being just younger to the players he was trying to shove aside, then battling with Hussey, just unlucky and he has done his best to be the 'fill-in' batsman for Ponting or Hussey for quite a while now had there been an injury.

Obviously we can't tell what happens in the change rooms, but you could speculate that selectors and team mates don't like him due to the fact he has just been forgotten, or so it seems.

Boris said:
We all pretty much agree that Hughes is the opener of the future, yet he has been pretty miserable so far (with exception to those centuries). Watson was the same, had an average of a whole 18 or something with the bat, but as was shown we know he can bat.

I'm not so sure Hughes' career to date has been so bad. He had a bad run in England, yes, but he still averages over 50 (It was ~70 before the Ashes tests), with 2 100's and 1 50 in only 9 hits.

I would argue that he didn't deserve to be dropped, especially for a makeshift opener with a terrible record in that position. Obviously Watson acquitted himself reasonably well, but I still see it as an uneducated gamble that fortunately paid off. Personally I think the Australian team looks stronger with Hughes at the top over Watson, who has a habit of getting out in the 40-60 range far too often for an opener.

There still may be a place in the side for Watson, most likely in place of Hussey, with Clarke and North moving up a spot each and Watson to 6. The worst thing that could happen though is to leave Hughes to rot in the Sheffield Shield for another 2-3 years while he waits for Watson or Katich to retire. Who knows what that could do to his psyche? Hughes needs to be back in the side as quickly as possible or it could set back both himself and the Australian side for years.

Sorry about the derail

a for effort;376026 said:
I'm not so sure Hughes' career to date has been so bad. He had a bad run in England, yes, but he still averages over 50 (It was ~70 before the Ashes tests), with 2 100's and 1 50 in only 9 hits.

I would argue that he didn't deserve to be dropped, especially for a makeshift opener with a terrible record in that position. Obviously Watson acquitted himself reasonably well, but I still see it as an uneducated gamble that fortunately paid off. Personally I think the Australian team looks stronger with Hughes at the top over Watson, who has a habit of getting out in the 40-60 range far too often for an opener.

There still may be a place in the side for Watson, most likely in place of Hussey, with Clarke and North moving up a spot each and Watson to 6. The worst thing that could happen though is to leave Hughes to rot in the Sheffield Shield for another 2-3 years while he waits for Watson or Katich to retire. Who knows what that could do to his psyche? Hughes needs to be back in the side as quickly as possible or it could set back both himself and the Australian side for years.

Sorry about the derail

Yeah, I was just trying to use someone as an example that is recent, miserable wasn't the right word.

I think he should be playing by the next Ashes for sure. I don't, as a general rule, like to debut Australian players in any other country but Australia. There is no particular reason, I just think its more fairer on the player to start off in the conditions they are used to, throwing them into the huge step up of the international scene, and have them playing somewhere they have never been seems a bit harsh to me and not a way to ensure your debutant will go well and continue to go well. Just my two cents worth there. Therefore using that, I would like Hughes to go back to Sheffield Shield, show he can still do it and do enough to be picked to play against Pakistan. I don't think Watson will go so well these two series, so maybe he might miss out as a result. Hughes, IMO would have a 'second' debut in his home country.

No he didnt deserve to get dropped for Watson, but thats the trouble when the selectors take their favourites to England and never really expected them to fail so didnt bother with a replacement opener or batsman at all

But his form was worthy of getting dropped, he looked way out of his depth and this season he has done nothing to demand selection, yet everyone wants him back in. I suppose the GABBA would be a great place to bring back a batsman who cant play the short ball

Do you think maybe Rogers could have been that backup batsman? :p

This 'can't play a short ball' thing isn't a horrible, career-crippling weakness though. Nobody was bringing it up when he was smashing 100's for fun last season for NSW and in South Africa. Ponting has a known weakness to inswing early in his innings, and it gets him out every now and then, but it hasn't stopped him from being the best in the world. This perceived weakness to short-pitched bowling is the kind of thing a few one-on-one coaching sessions should be able to stamp out, or at least minimize, not something that should keep him out of the side.

The only reason it wasnt brought up in South Africa is because they are morons, it was obvious early on, he got out down the leg side and was given a life or 10 by the umpire on a few occassions doing the same thing, but South Africa didnt persist with it and went for a different tactic that failed

As for not being noticed in domestic cricket, he plays on the SCG, a bowler would probably pull out his back trying to bowl bouncers on that shit heap of a pitch, I did notice in his record he has never made first class runs on the MCG which is quite fast these days, made a duck and 4 on the WACA, loves Bellerive and Adelaide oval as does every batsman in the country and did well at the GABBA batting well down the order in a high scoring game for NSW

He hasnt been bloody tested enough and his stats show it

Back