Australian ODI XI - Selection Thread

Re: Australian ODI XI - Selection Thread

samgibson1990;382725 said:
hey , do you guys reckon Cameron White is good enough to make the test team?, i mean well he dominated in the one day series in england, showing that he can bat in that middle order, and he has worked on his bowling

I reckon he is, but unfortunately so are a few others. Only so many can fit in, and he is better than others in short forms because he hits the ball over the fence. We lacked that there for a while after Roy, Gilly, Haydos, etc.

Besides, he's Victorian. It's a conspiracy you know: they only get picked (in squads) when we've got important domestic matches coming up!:p

White should replace North at 6. Breeno to agree. :p

I'm surprised Steve Smith wasn't included in the first and second ODI squads.

Mousey;384495 said:
White should replace North at 6. Breeno to agree. :p

I'm surprised Steve Smith wasn't included in the first and second ODI squads.

Wouldn't be unhappy with White but would prefer others. :p

breeno;384499 said:
Wouldn't be unhappy with White but would prefer others. :p

Hahaha, the usual.

Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on Steve Smith and Daniel Christian? I think, and hope, we'll see a lot of them in the near future. Those two at 7 and 8, or even 6 and 7, would be awesome in a couple of years time.

I would have though Smith still has some things to do before he would convince of his worthiness for the next level. Certainly an exciting prospect, but there's a long road ahead. Don't know much about Christian.

As I said a few days ago, if Watson is supposed to be the next Garfield Sobers and Hopes is already there, where do we fit in all these "potential world's best all-rounder" types such as Smith, Henriques and M.Marsh?

Sober Symonds;384504 said:
Is now a good time to saddle up aboard the Hodge hobby-horse once more?

Awesome!!!
Definately in the T20 side, makes a bit of a mockery yet again of some people thinking he doesnt belong in a T20 side

Sober Symonds;384510 said:
I would have though Smith still has some things to do before he would convince of his worthiness for the next level. Certainly an exciting prospect, but there's a long road ahead. Don't know much about Christian.

As I said a few days ago, if Watson is supposed to be the next Garfield Sobers and Hopes is already there, where do we fit in all these "potential world's best all-rounder" types such as Smith, Henriques and M.Marsh?

It's simple, if they're good enough to make the team on their specialty skill alone, then they'll get in.

breeno;384543 said:
It's simple, if they're good enough to make the team on their specialty skill alone, then they'll get in.

Yes, but in my books being a bowler that averages 30 say at number 8 gives an extra incentive over another bowler that cannot, even if that other is a better bowler.

In ODIs I would only pick two genuine bowlers, and then I would like them to be able to wield the bat to a satisfactory level. The others have to be of a minimum standard of about Hauritz or Johnson.

Having two all rounders can give you an extra 50 runs as at least one of those would be replacing a bowler generally, and then give you two extra choices when bowling, and both can get wickets.

The all rounder is in as much of a shortage anymore.

Boris;384559 said:
Yes, but in my books being a bowler that averages 30 say at number 8 gives an extra incentive over another bowler that cannot, even if that other is a better bowler.

In ODIs I would only pick two genuine bowlers, and then I would like them to be able to wield the bat to a satisfactory level. The others have to be of a minimum standard of about Hauritz or Johnson.

Having two all rounders can give you an extra 50 runs as at least one of those would be replacing a bowler generally, and then give you two extra choices when bowling, and both can get wickets.

The all rounder is in as much of a shortage anymore.

I'm not arguing that point. He asked if we can fit all of these supposed next great all rounders in. I said if they're good enough be in on specialty alone, then they'll have no problem getting in. Not a completely different point to what you're saying, but not relevant to what I was saying as I agree with you on what you've written here.

breeno;384567 said:
I'm not arguing that point. He asked if we can fit all of these supposed next great all rounders in. I said if they're good enough be in on specialty alone, then they'll have no problem getting in. Not a completely different point to what you're saying, but not relevant to what I was saying as I agree with you on what you've written here.

I know you weren't, sorry for making it look like an attack on your point :)

I was instead trying to agree with you, just adding a little more info.

I know he hasn't been selected in the first two odi squads due to injury. But do you think that the selectors would throw Nathan Bracken in the next squad if he is fit? Especially if Siddle or Bollinger aren't performing. Because when it gets down to the crunch time of a game. Bracks is a genius.

whitelock12;384723 said:
I know he hasn't been selected in the first two odi squads due to injury. But do you think that the selectors would throw Nathan Bracken in the next squad if he is fit? Especially if Siddle or Bollinger aren't performing. Because when it gets down to the crunch time of a game. Bracks is a genius.

Bracken should be easily picked of Siddle and Bollinger. Neither of those are very good ODI bowlers anyway.

Bracken when in song is the best ODI bowler in the world, and since he performs best in Australia (doesn't perform all that well outside of it really) if you don't select him while he is fit and playing at home, then there must be someone bloody good ahead of him.

The same is true for Lee. Lee is the best ODI bowler of the decade in the world, not including Muralitharan. Bracken is the best in the world over the past 4 years. Hard to miss.

Boris;384724 said:
Bracken should be easily picked of Siddle and Bollinger. Neither of those are very good ODI bowlers anyway.

Bracken when in song is the best ODI bowler in the world, and since he performs best in Australia (doesn't perform all that well outside of it really) if you don't select him while he is fit and playing at home, then there must be someone bloody good ahead of him.

The same is true for Lee. Lee is the best ODI bowler of the decade in the world, not including Muralitharan. Bracken is the best in the world over the past 4 years. Hard to miss.

Didn't Doug take a 5 fa not so long ago?

Bracken isn't incisive enough as an opening bowler in ODI's at this point in his career, a few years back he used to bowl inswingers to the right hander when he took the new ball but of late he has lost that ability - possibly due to his trait of bowling cutters more so then seam up.

The way he frustrates batsmen by bowling dot after dot is a skill that no other Australian bowler is capable of at the moment. His endless variations are a major facet of his game and that's why he one of, if not the best odi bowler in the world. Whether he can come and do this straight after a long stint on the sidelines is another thing to be desired.

breeno;384729 said:
Didn't Doug take a 5 fa not so long ago?

Dougie hasn't been bowling too badly at all. But you can tell there is a difference between a long form and a short form bowler when things really come down to the wire. I wouldn't want to bowl him too much at the death. Siddle is alright bowling at the death, but he's not a wicket taker and has a tendency to go a little haywire at times. Personally I would prefer Bollinger and Siddle to be more back up one day bowlers and stick to the craft of Test bowling and improve in that. Bollinger has earnt his place though, so I would expect him to stay on. Time will tell if he is suited to it.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;384771 said:
Bracken isn't incisive enough as an opening bowler in ODI's at this point in his career, a few years back he used to bowl inswingers to the right hander when he took the new ball but of late he has lost that ability - possibly due to his trait of bowling cutters more so then seam up.

A few years back? He did that last season. He just had a touch of bad form in his last full series, but you will notice that when a champion bowler has bad form the only thing that drops is their wickets. Instead of getting three per match he was getting one. But his economy rate was dead the same and he wasn't costing matches. Bracken is an Australian home bowler as well, he bowls much better at home, so those away tours weren't really going to be spectacular.

whitelock12;384808 said:
The way he frustrates batsmen by bowling dot after dot is a skill that no other Australian bowler is capable of at the moment. His endless variations are a major facet of his game and that's why he one of, if not the best odi bowler in the world. Whether he can come and do this straight after a long stint on the sidelines is another thing to be desired.

That's the only question I have as well, whether or not this injury will have an effect on him. If possible I would like him to have a few warm up games, often bowlers drop back to club level and play an easy game during their rehabilitation and he should play one game domestically hopefully. I would really hate for him to get back to international level, be a bit rusty and then get dropped after one or two games and we never see him again. Then he goes back and tears apart the state sides knowing he will never be able to play international again. He has to be careful to come back to the side and do it well.

I think he is a definite pick. There is no way the selectors cannot pick him with Siddle, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus and McKay as the only bowlers standing in his road.

Look, I can understand why you would want Bracken in your team, but I just think his past his best and he won't be playing in the 2011 WC IMO.

Since the 2008/09 season in ODI's his averaged 47.6 with the ball.

For an opening bowler that is not good enough, your opening bowler needs to be able to take wickets if your serious about being a good ODI team.

Not junk time wickets either, but actually dismissing top order batsmen at the start of an innings.

Our recent resurgence in ODI cricket is based around the fact that our bowlers were getting into the batting order of opposition teams in the first 15 overs.

I just feel at this point that there are better wicket taking bowlers then Bracken.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;384835 said:
Look, I can understand why you would want Bracken in your team, but I just think his past his best and he won't be playing in the 2011 WC IMO.

Since the 2008/09 season in ODI's his averaged 47.6 with the ball.

For an opening bowler that is not good enough, your opening bowler needs to be able to take wickets if your serious about being a good ODI team.

Not junk time wickets either, but actually dismissing top order batsmen at the start of an innings.

Our recent resurgence in ODI cricket is based around the fact that our bowlers were getting into the batting order of opposition teams in the first 15 overs.

I just feel at this point that there are better wicket taking bowlers then Bracken.

Since the 08/09 season he has been bowling overseas, which he is not one to do.

And since we are playing at home next, it makes sense to at least give him another run.

I've always thought Bracken was a good ODI bowler, but really only when he's in form, otherwise he can look out of place.

Back