Barclay Shield 2013/2014

Great individual effort by Glen Turner in T20 v Lalor Stars tonight. 4/10 with the ball in the Stars total of 109, followed by 70no in the Research total of 1/112 off 9 overs.

Some interesting games leading up to the Christmas break
Research v Lower should be an absolute ripper and with lower cruising along it may be a good time for the searchers to bounce back from the shock loss of last week against Riverside and knock off the undefeated lower.
Won't be any love lost between the different personalities either.
Bundoora and The Paradians is another interesting game with the winner jumping clear of the race for relegation!
Finishing the previous 2 seasons in the top 2 Bundoora would be bitterly disappointed with the way they have performed this season and would be looking for a big win against their neighbours who have been unable to post a score of any significance this season and don't look like doing so either.If Bundoora have all bowlers available and firing could this be a rare maximum points game?

Any feedback on the mark 2 platypus balls?

At the risk of racially vilifying the Platypus cricket ball, I had a look at our new batch and they look much better in colour, being red and not burgundy. You should be able to shine and swing these ones. Also the seams between the leather are closed up and it just generally looks much better. I'm hoping they play better too.

Boring on here.

What's everyone thinking? Creek, Lower and Research the only three that can win it?

Macleod a chance? Can Rosanna sneak a spot in the 4 in the first season up?

Is the Plenty dynasty over? They aren't doomed yet in my opinion, they could win a couple of these last 4.

I wouldn't discount Rosanna or Macleod for a second...

Boring on here.

What's everyone thinking? Creek, Lower and Research the only three that can win it?

Is the Plenty dynasty over? They aren't doomed yet in my opinion, they could win a couple of these last 4.

Boring on here.

My two cents:

Diamond Creek are still a class above everyone, but were proven to be beatable. In the words of the great Leigh Matthews (As stolen from the movie Preadtor) "If it bleeds, we can kill it". But I would still have my hard earned on them, as they are such a good side right across the board, and now know what it takes to win. Don't be surprised if Lower beat them in the Home and Away game, and then DC avenges that game in the finals.
Player to watch: Great to see Mick Hanson back to his best this year after not getting much of a go last year.

Lower Eltham are continuing their trend of a great year, then an off year, then back up again. Could this year be another up year? With their all round even side, where there are no real dominating players this year, they are always hard to beat. I also don't think they've fired on all cylinders so far this season, just doing the required amount.
Player to Watch: Batting has been suspect, but the likes of Poyser and Cal Still are due for a big score.

Research reminds me a lot of Lalor Stars the year they won the flag. They could quite easily come out in the Semi Final and make 300+ or get rolled for 120. Likewise with the ball, they could roll sides easily, or have a tough day chasing leather. They have so much talent, and talented guys who could take the game away within an hour. They're one of those teams that you're not sure if you'd want to face in a final or not.
Player to Watch: If Malone doesn't get you with the bat, he'll get you with ball.

I'll put Macleod and Rosanna in the same comment, because I see these two sides almost the exact same. Both are very well oiled units, that do what we are all taught from a young age. Aim is to bat 80 overs, and bowl outside off stump all day - the rest will take care of itself. With an easier (not easy) run home than what Rosanna has, and with the experience of a few years in Barclay Shield, and a steady improvement each year, I have Macleod in front in the business end of the season.
Player to Watch: Macleod: 640 runs and almost 20 wickets between the Wise boys. Enough said.
Sam Sheehan has been quiet this year. I’ll pick him as the smokey to finish with a string of runs.

Two things tongs, Micky Hansen didn't play last year and Stars lost the GF to Mernda.

But other than that its ok? haha I actually meant the year they were in the GF, that was an error I my behalf. I thought Mick played a couple of games... I just checked. He only played one. He's still flying nonetheless. 21 wickets @ 8.81.

Can you make at least one of my comments accurate, and make some runs?

I think he intended to have the year off and just filled in one game. Personally I find it hard to split the top five sides at all. Obviously they all have strengths and weaknesses but all are capable of winning a flag. Rosanna may be new to Barclay but they aren't new to winning flags.

I am a start merchant these days, a self masochist who gets out as often as possible between 15 and 35 so I can hate the game more than like it.

But other than that its ok? haha I actually meant the year they were in the GF, that was an error I my behalf. I thought Mick played a couple of games... I just checked. He only played one. He's still flying nonetheless. 21 wickets @ 8.81.

Can you make at least one of my comments accurate, and make some runs?

Boring on here.

I think with there draw and assuming they win v Riverside, Macleod are on course to finish 3rd. This would leave Research ECCC and Rosanna fighting for the last spot. More than likely will come down to the R10 clash between both. If Rosanna beat Diamo this week, they will have the upper hand as it could them come down to percentage, which they have the upper hand in.

I think with there draw and assuming they win v Riverside, Macleod are on course to finish 3rd. This would leave Research ECCC and Rosanna fighting for the last spot. More than likely will come down to the R10 clash between both. If Rosanna beat Diamo this week, they will have the upper hand as it could them come down to percentage, which they have the upper hand in.

While you're there, Stu, how come Research is always the last to post its scores?

While you're there, Stu, how come Research is always the last to post its scores?
Think you'll find that apart from this game, we are usually one of the first! The chap who enters them does so when he gets back to the rooms after playing in lower grade. Congrats to GT on scoring a sensational hundred(114no) and him and Ben Cookson(82no) sharing in an unbroken 190 run partnership. I think Glen is averaging 110 for the season.

Relegation stakes is getting interesting. This has now come to to 5 sides in my opinion and with a few playing each other in the coming weeks, wins are paramount. The draws sees the following :

Old Paradians - Mernda (h) , Epping (a) , Plenty (a)
North Eltham - Rosanna (a) , Plenty (a) , Riverside (h)
Mernda - Old Paradians (h), Diamond Creek (h) , Lower Eltham (a)
Epping - Research (h), Old Paradians (h), Macleod (a)
Plenty - Macleod (h) , North Eltham (h), Old Paradians (a)

Thoughts peoples ?

Plenty to win one more and survive on percentage. Bakes should return and make an impact as Mernda need his bowling smarts. They'll probably defeat OPSF, who should beat Epping. Nth Eltham to win 1-2 more and I'll back Plenty to OPSF away in the last game to stay up by percentage. Probably puts Epping in the gun.

Back