BBL Chat thread

So the Scorchers thrashed the Stars after a monumental collapse from the Stars this afternoon with half the Stars side out with COVID-19. The win also puts the Scorchers back on top of the ladder with the Sixers' game on New Years Day being abandoned. The Thunder also beat the Strikers this evening to move to third place on the ladder.

The Melbourne derby is tomorrow at the MCG. With the Stars having 10 players out with COVID-19 you'd have to say the Renegades are favourites, particularly with Marsh back for the 'Gades.

Renegade's finally regain Shaun marsh in the team.

Hopefully SOS can find some form for the Renegades, will certainly shore up their top order in my opinion. A top order of Finch, Harper and Marsh for the Renegades is dangerous in my opinion if they can get going and should help them going forward.

NO. Bloke has to show he can bat against good sides and no the Gades do not count. Ellis I'm far from sold on, bowls a lot of rubbish that BBL bats miss but will be belted internationally.

I think Ellis needs more exposure at international level before we can make a definite assumption on his ability going forward. His performances in the Big Bash have been fairly good and he tends to bowl at the death which sees his economy rate a bit higher than most for a pace bowler. I would like to see him ply his trade in other competitions during the Australian off-season, particularly in England just to see how he would fare over there, possibly on the sub-continent as well.

I think Ellis needs more exposure at international level before we can make a definite assumption on his ability going forward. His performances in the Big Bash have been fairly good and he tends to bowl at the death which sees his economy rate a bit higher than most for a pace bowler. I would like to see him ply his trade in other competitions during the Australian off-season, particularly in England just to see how he would fare over there, possibly on the sub-continent as well.

100% but I’m far from sold seems to bowl a lot of hit me stuff

Ellis I'm far from sold on, bowls a lot of rubbish that BBL bats miss but will be belted internationally.
Not seen a lot of him in the BBL but internationally he has had a great start. A hat trick in his first game wasnt it. I think he is close to our most clever white ball death bowler.. Kane Richardson and Andrew Tye included.
Me too. I think he is suited to Pom red and white ball conditions as he swings the ball. Be useful in Asia too as he is a quickish, skiddy bowler with a good skillset.

You just need to face him in the nets one day mate.

Don't be salty.

It's like somebody having a go at Joe Root. You go and bowl to him and he'd probably hit you out of the park.

It's the same with thinking Jimmy anderson is too easy to hit. He'd most likely get you and i out for ducks.

Not seen a lot of him in the BBL but internationally he has had a great start. A hat trick in his first game wasnt it. I think he is close to our most clever white ball death bowler.. Kane Richardson and Andrew Tye included.

That is a worrying thought that he's the best one we have. It's a huge problem area.

Me too. I think he is suited to Pom conditions as he swings the ball. Be useful in Asia too a he is quickish, skiddy bowler with a good skillset.

That is a worrying thought that he's the best one we have. It's a huge problem area.
Think of him as the next Jimmy Anderson or Stuart broad.

Some of those players are there just for the fun of it.
Liam Livingstone normally plays for the scorchers but due to covid and some restrictions he didn't come over.

Can do which can happen in that role. Will be a case of practicing that side of his game which he can do in the BBL and hopefully with an opportunity in an overseas competition.

Me too. I think he is suited to Pom red and white ball conditions as he swings the ball. Be useful in Asia too as he is a quickish, skiddy bowler with a good skillset.

Me too. I think he is suited to Pom conditions as he swings the ball. Be useful in Asia too a he is quickish, skiddy bowler with a good skillset.

He has been good and it is early days yet. Hopefully he can play in another competition during the off-season here, perhaps in the county competition in the middle of the year.

I'd like to think that Mitch Starc and Pat Cummins are two good death bowlers as well, particularly Starc when he gets his yorkers right.

So the Renegades managed to overcome the COVID-19 depleted Stars tonight who lost another two players overnight after they tested positive to the virus. In the end, the Stars struggled to 126 all out with the Renegades chasing it down with two overs to spare although they had a mid-innings batting collapse to keep the game interesting for a while. The win takes the Renegades off the bottom of the ladder up to sixth place while the Stars fall to seventh position.

On the Renegades, surely Mohammad Nabi is on the cusp of getting dropped? 36 runs at 5.14 at a strike rate of 76.59 with two golden ducks along with one wicket at 88 and an economy of 7.33. I know he is their import but he has not had a good tournament thus far.

Tomorrow sees the Heat hosting the Sixers at Carrara.

So COVID-19 has played havoc again, Brisbane Heat were due to play against Sydney Sixers tonight but issues with the virus saw Perth Scorchers take their place instead. The Scorchers struggled with the bat in the middle overs but a late flurry saw them finish with 8/143 from their 20 overs. In reply, the Sixers slumped to 4/16 but Dan Christian's 73 off 61 balls kept the Sixers in the game until he fell with 20 runs needed off eight balls. In the end, the Sixers finished on 8/133 with the Scorchers claiming a 10 run win. No change to the ladder with the Scorchers remaining on top while the Sixers stay in second place.

Tomorrow is the first of back-to-back days of double header matches. The early game has Adelaide Strikers hosting Hobart Hurricanes at 3:05pm AWST (6:05pm AEDT, 7:05am UTC) at the Adelaide Oval while the later game sees Brisbane Heat taking on Sydney Sixers at Carrara, beginning at 6:15pm AWST (9:15pm AEDT, 10:15am UTC).

Last edited:
Back