Bring back australia a?

mattshin13

Bring back australia a?

who thinks we should bring back the australia a squad? maybe not play australia as such but to maybe test out some fringe players? like tour other countries in the off season? what are everyones opinion?

Re: Bring back australia a?

Yes. Plain as that.

Does anyone have the history of Australia A? I don't know why the team disappeared in the first place.

Australia A cricket team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only time they played in the complete one day series was in 94/95. Tubby Taylor cracked the shits because many people were barracking for the 'A' team, I know I did because they had the WA players :p

Coming third in a two-horse race | Cricket Features | Columns | Cricinfo.com

England coming 3rd behind the 2 Australian teams and missing the finals was pretty embarrassing...

From memory there was also some controversy when the 'A' team's best bowler throughout the completion in Paul Reiffel had to sit out in a final after being called up to Australia and then sitting out the match as 12th man.

Remember when Hayden and McGrath had that collision and Hayden gave him a mouthful? Gold.

Personally I think that the Aust T20 side should be the equivalent of the Aust A team. By putting top level players in T20 sides then you are just giving it more credit than it deserves, no wonder they are whinging about test cricket.

We could probably do with one now with the amount of young uns wanting to burst through into the youngest team in 20 years.

i think we should respect T20 as another form of the game... don't we aussies want to donminate in all forms of the game? putting young players into it won't work...

i think the touring in the off season works best. i allows players from australia who wouldn't normally be able to play overseas to have that opportunity. i guess it gives them something achievable to strive for. what do they have to strive for now? a test spot? the champions league in india? i don't think thats enough incentive...

mattshin13;379664 said:
i think we should respect T20 as another form of the game... don't we aussies want to donminate in all forms of the game? putting young players into it won't work...

i think the touring in the off season works best. i allows players from australia who wouldn't normally be able to play overseas to have that opportunity. i guess it gives them something achievable to strive for. what do they have to strive for now? a test spot? the champions league in india? i don't think thats enough incentive...

I agree there. As much as I don't enjoy T20s, the same thing happened with ODIs when they first came in and I absolutely love them now. People will come round to it but it won't knock Tests off. It has to be taken seriously and the best team for the situation selected considering we have the best domestic side in the world.

The Australia A side should continue what it has been doing lately. Not long ago they played Pakistan A. Just touring other countries and versing teams of greater or similar strength to give them a feel of playing outside their comfort zone.

Actually putting in young players who have been playing T20 for years at the lower levels would see a far more succesful side than putting in the test players who like way out of their depth like the current T20 captain

Obviously there would also be a few experienced domestic players in there as well, guys like Nannes, Hodge and Dussey for example to provide the leadership but they should go to an almost full T20 speciallist side with a couple of ODI players in there like White obviously

But on Australia A, I think instead of having the 1sts v A where everyone cheers the A sie, play an A v B or Punter v Pup game wth split teams, India do it all the time or they did at one stage anyway, a great start to the summer

eddiesmith;379668 said:
Actually putting in young players who have been playing T20 for years at the lower levels would see a far more succesful side than putting in the test players who like way out of their depth like the current T20 captain

Obviously there would also be a few experienced domestic players in there as well, guys like Nannes, Hodge and Dussey for example to provide the leadership but they should go to an almost full T20 speciallist side with a couple of ODI players in there like White obviously

But on Australia A, I think instead of having the 1sts v A where everyone cheers the A sie, play an A v B or Punter v Pup game wth split teams, India do it all the time or they did at one stage anyway, a great start to the summer

Are you any danger of suggesting a non-vic player?

breeno;379684 said:
Are you any danger of suggesting a non-vic player?
We are talking speciallist T20 so obviously the team who have dominated it at domestic level would get a bit of a mention

Cant really think of any other players who fall into those categories, they would make up the majority of the side as young players

a for effort;379697 said:
NSW are the best T20 team in the world though? :confused:

eddie is pointing towards the fact that Victoria has the older 'veterans' of the T20 world that are really good at the form, like Duss, Hodge and Nannes. NSW doesn't have those same international quality experienced players.

The NSW players fall under the young players category which would make up most of the side, I was just naming a few experienced players to stop them being too far out of their depth

Although I would like to see NSW win a T20 tournament in South Africa or England...

What do you mean "bring back" Australia A? They never went anywhere. They play a bunch of matches every year, usually during the domestic offseason.

Personally I think it works okay. If they had too many more matches it would either damage the domestic season, or not give the players enough of an offseason. Don't forget you have other "fringe sides" like the PM's XI that play every so often.

Having them play against the full Australian side won't happen because Australia's Test calendar is too crowded - adding more matches that don't even have Test or ODI status is the last thing anyone needs. If I could change one thing I'd like to see Australia A mainly play limited and unlimited over games against the Associate nations, rather than the current practice of playing other Test nation A sides. It would be far better for those countries' development, and I honestly don't really think Ireland or Scotland are that much worse than Pakistan's second stringers.

Caesar;379792 said:
What do you mean "bring back" Australia A? They never went anywhere. They play a bunch of matches every year, usually during the domestic offseason.

I think he is meaning bring back the side that played with and against the actual Australian side, beating England and Zimbabwe in that tour.

Matches against A teams are only classed as List A or First Class, not ODIs or Tests, so I doubt there will ever be much interest in resurrecting that. CA would much rather play against teams that will give Australia ranking points (or heck, rest the team altogether) rather than add more essentially meaningless fixtures.

It was only ever an emergency measure back in 1995 anyway, due to the two touring sides being so piss-poor.

Caesar;379835 said:
Matches against A teams are only classed as List A or First Class, not ODIs or Tests, so I doubt there will ever be much interest in resurrecting that. CA would much rather play against teams that will give Australia ranking points (or heck, rest the team altogether) rather than add more essentially meaningless fixtures.

It was only ever an emergency measure back in 1995 anyway, due to the two touring sides being so piss-poor.

Agree with you there. Instead maybe we could just have two Australian teams equally as strong? :D Means twice the amount of cricket!

The A sides definitely needs to be revitalised. They could definitely be a nice way to reward First Class players prior to International cricket.. However the commercial feasibility of it is low .. The ICC I feel should make it a requirement as it potentially could help developing nations as well..

P.S. I would welcome NSW playing in a T20 tournament in South Africa and might even pay to go watch them :)

Australia vs Australia A highlights from 94/95 on Foxtel at the moment, brings backs some memories. Hayden and McGrath exchanging some words and a push lol.

Back