Channel Nine Commentary Team Changes for 2008/09?

SouthSwans

Channel Nine Commentary Team Changes for 2008/09?

Your thoughts for next summer? Mine are:

Kill off: O'Donnell, Greig.
Skating on thin ice: Healy, Chappell.
Add: Warney, JB. And bring in Tufnell to host the Cricket Show in place of SO'D.

Team: Richie Benaud, Mark Nicholas, Bill Lawry, Mark Taylor, Michael Slater, Shane Warne, James Brayshaw, Phil Tufnell (TCS).

Re: Channel Nine Commentary Team Changes for 2008/09?

Out: Greig
In: Gilchrist, Warne

Team: Richie Benaud, Mark Nicholas, Bill Lawry, Ian Chappell, Mark Taylor, Ian Healy, Michael Slater, Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist, Simon O'Donnell (TCS).

Grieg is a massive dud but they won't get rid of him. Healy's ordinary as well and O'Donnell only ever does "The Cricket Show" anyway. Bring in Gilchrist and Warne for the upcoming series, a couple of the older guys wouldn't be too far off calling it a day from the Central Commentary Position (CCP). :D

I would say Ian Smith will be coming over also since New Zealand are playing. He is a decent commentator I reckon.

SouthSwans;218450 said:
Add: Warney, JB. And bring in Tufnell to host the Cricket Show in place of SO'D.

Really like these suggestions, JB would be good for 20/20s.

Would like to see Taylor go as he talks too much crap now days and Healy is just a moron. Greig needs to lift his game but sometimes it's good to have caller that's not in love with the Aussies.

And hopefully I.Smith comes over for the NZ games.

JB for 20-20 only. His voice is far to annoying and his cricket knowledge I feel isnt the level of osme of the others. Short sharp burts with him.

Please get rid of Healy, Taylor and Chappel. Boring, unimagative (well get that they dont really need to describe much) and repetitive.

I like Chappell, he's pretty knowledgeable about the game and he does say some pretty good things despite sometimes boring the audience. He's better than some of those on there.

I'm also moving this to the Australia/New Zealand forum.

If Chappell stated his opinion a couple of times he'd be one of the best. Mentioning an opposing sides poor slips positioning 50 times is not going to get them to change. Even when you agree it's frigging irritating.

Get rid of that Pommy prat Nicholas before any of the others. :D

The way he carries on with his man-love towards certain players is nauseating, and if I hear him say "Maximum" again to describe a six, I'll kill him myself! ;)

am i the only one who thinks Bill Lawry should have gone years ago?

Kill off: Lawry, Greig
Close to going: Benaud (still a great commentator - but he is 100 years old - surely he will be the first to host/commentate a cricket game posthumously)

Would like to see Warney and Mark Waugh, and give Gilly a shot.

My favourite commentator anywhere is Damien Fleming. I doubt he'd get a gig though.

Also, piss of O'Donnell.

aussieman;218680 said:
am i the only one who thinks Bill Lawry should have gone years ago?

Kill off: Lawry, Greig
Close to going: Benaud (still a great commentator - but he is 100 years old - surely he will be the first to host/commentate a cricket game posthumously)

Would like to see Warney and Mark Waugh, and give Gilly a shot.
I love Bill. He is the greatest.

Bill is an absolute legend, hope he never goes.

His excitement during the SCG Indian choke test and Greig's disappointment was hilarious.

happy to listen to Flem on the ABC......give me the ABC team anyday over the Nine commentary team. O'Donnell is terrible, especially when they have him talking during a break in play. He truly can't carry on a decent conversation.

I would love to hear Fleming and Simon O'Donnell, much as I do Wasim Akram commentate in India. Fleming will make a top notch commentator, as he did make a top notch bowler, because of his big heart. Who are the commentators, who will cease to commentate?

thestos;218843 said:
happy to listen to Flem on the ABC......give me the ABC team anyday over the Nine commentary team. O'Donnell is terrible, especially when they have him talking during a break in play. He truly can't carry on a decent conversation.

ABC destroys anything that is remotely good on Channel 9.

They need to be interesting as they don't have the TV pictures to help them out.

Kerry "Skull" O'Keefe anyday of the week! He is jsut brilliant

I love Tony Greig's commentary. He gives an internation perspective which rubs alot of people noses the wrong was in Australia. His pretty much saying what the rest of the world think. So we have to take notice of it.

I also like hearing Ian Heally's commentary, he has a lot of strategies and insight that i just love.

Richie Benaud - Goes when he wants to, nobody should even dare push him to do so.

Bill Lawry - I love his One Day commentary makes me excited just listening to him.

Would love to see Warne do some commentary, his cricketing knowledge is so under rated and his strategic mind would be a great insight into any commentary team.

Personally, i don't think commentary is for Adam Gilchrist and I don't mind Simon O'Donnell doing the cricket show.

Pretty much, if it aint broke don't fix it ;)

A mate of mine was trying to find a bit about a stoush between Mark "Hello....Maximum" Nicholas and Peter Roebuck, and found this weird story! :eek:

PETER ROEBUCK, the former Somerset cricket captain and journalist, was given a suspended jail sentence yesterday for caning apprentice players in his care.

Roebuck, 45, admitted common assault on three 19-year-old South Africans who lodged at his bungalow near Taunton, Somerset.

The Cambridge graduate, who captained the side that included Ian Botham and Viv Richards, beat the boys across the buttocks when they failed his fitness tests.

In a statement, the victim said Roebuck told him: "I'm going to cane you now. Then it will be over and I will forgive you and, if I don't cane you, I will feel differently about you."

"Roebuck then pulled the boy towards him, in what appeared to be an act of affection. He then asked if he could look at the marks on the boy's buttocks, something which he in fact did."

What the!!!!!

Ex-Somerset captain caned young cricketers - Telegraph

Brendan Julian seems to go alright hosting that drinks break and lunch and tea thing on fox sports on the current tour. I find Sarfraz quite knowledgable as well when he isn;t flinching, and Mark Waugh defintely knows whats going on. Maybe give them a burst, gota try something knew, cos like most of u said, I;m over Tont Greig and Bill seems to have lost a bit of his zip and Richie just whispers now and theres nothing interesting anymore. As for Tubby and Heals and Chappelli they just don;t interest me. Slats is good and Mark is good value, and Warney and Gilly were good additions. Mae them permanent.

blacklightning;218982 said:
Pretty much, if it aint broke don't fix it ;)

my thoughts exactly. i like them as they are.

sadly benaud is calling it a day soon, can't remember the details but there is something about the end of this season. whenever he does i will grieve his loss.

i like taylor and healy's commentry, they fill in the gap in age differences. if you notice at the moment there are cricketers covering all ages, with warnie and gilly filling in the youngest generation. i like it that way, there is nothing wrong with it.

Back