City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

Afternoon all,

Peter Parker you can enter the prestigious Merlot Horlicks tipping comp on a score of 5 being the lowest current score.But given your expert knowledge I am sure it will not be long before you are snapping at Merlot's heels.How is Kirsten Dunst going?

PDog my apologies I did rip you off one point and you did well in your drumken stupor to pick it up.

Quite a lively forum at present with a lot of the newbies well versed in CMCA matters that could readily get them at seat on the Congress and improve things dramatically.

Any word on the child as he certainly didn't let his bat do the talking maybe he and Handley will both make their way to the seconds?

until next time.... keep searching... vino sipping poster....Prof Merlot

LONGMUIR SHIELD

Juggernaut-v-Elwood: Juggernaut will have to improve in the field, but they have too many big guns for the Beach Boys

Carnegie South-v-Omega: The last time these teams met the Spiders had Omega in a vulnerable position but dropped a number of crucial catches and let the Ommies off the hook.This game is too important for Omega and their finals aspirations and will win.

Le Page Park-v- Mackie: The Panthers have a real chance to put a huge dent in the finals aspirations of the Oasis.The Oasis were very disappointing last match and a few of their veterans started to show their age.Will tip the home team in this one.

West Bentleigh-v-Hampton: Central:Lazarus arose from the dead once. The Cowboys seem to do it a number of times each year. They have a habit of dropping games they are expected to win, but I will tip them in this encounter.

Hoops-v-Bentleigh Uniting:Game of the round, with some very good players on show from both sides.If all concerned can find some form then it could be quite a high scoring match. The loss of Surridge will be a loss but they have the stocks to cover his loss. Have to select Uniting.

Kingston Heath-v-ANA:The last encounter resulted in the Royals losing two players to suspension, but they won the game quite convincingly.All the pundits were predicting a slaughter at Centenary Park, but that did not eventuate and in fact the young ones acquited themselves very well. The Royals batting depth should get them over the line.

WOOLNOUGH

Wash Ups V Cluden
Bent Utg v Bri Union
Bent ANA v Chelsea Hts
Asp RSL v East Sandy
Omega v Highett West
Moorabbin West v Hamp Utd

My tips for Rnd 2
LONGY:

East of Sandringham
Omega
Le Page
Uniting
ANA
WB

WOOLY:

WP
Uniting
ANA
ES
HW
HU

Well said Parker and clock, both young talents and im sure as the season progresses spots will open for numerous reasons, ill be the first to admit i was harsh on Fisher. Would be a very nerve racking experience starting in the ones, looking forward to seeing the line ups followed by some delicious games this weekend.

Understood PP. He would want to improve based on last season's return of 12 wickets. As for the club, the Spiders did really well in recruiting Bruce Haley.He achieved promotion in his first season and whilst they have struggled since,he has done a good job considering the limited resources he has at his disposal.(Very similar to Vorbs at the Hoops before they found their money to spend and Gerdan at Elwood where he did the hard yards for the Beach Boys.) He has slowly developed the depth of the club which now puts pressure on the firsts. Technically he is one of the best coaches around and his passion for the game is second to none, not to mention all the work he has done with the Under 21's which has been poorly supported by a lot of CMCA clubs. I hope that changes this season. There have been a lot of coaches that have come and gone in the CMCA,(one artist comes to mind immediately), but Haley has been consistent in his approach and goes about his business without the fanfare others would demand.He probably spent two seasons too long at the Oasis where his message after many years was falling upon deaf ears.Unfortunately subsequent coaches discovered that the deafness was terminal. Dale Park is one to keep an eye as a future coach.He puts in a lot of time coaching the younger players and has an excellent demeanor and not afraid to gets his hands dirty. Iceman has a great knowledge and understanding of the game.Definetely a coach in waiting for the right club, but not at the Oasis.

My tips for this rd.

Longy.
Juggernaut
Omega
Mackie
WB
Hoops
Us

Wooly
Wash Ups
Uniting
Heights
East Sandy
Highett West
M. West.

I was actually waiting for the music to start when he entered the playing arena. (I will leave the choice to Jimmy as he is the resident music expert.)

Clock, from what I heard perhaps Monty Python's "I'm a lumberjack" would have been an appropriate ditty.

Thanks for my Merlot Horlicks acceptance Merl, though with the well connected members in this forum, I think I'll get my enjoyment from the journey rather than the destination.

Yes Clocker, Bruce Haley is continuing to do an amazing job in the web. His commitment, enthusiasm, vision and optimism has permeated through the club and he's achieved some great results by improving the depth of talent and his focus on the kids has born some great fruit. The spiders are fortunate to have him in their ranks and do appreciate him.

I'm wondering how long it's going to be before the Golfers start to make their presense felt in Longy? They manage their younger brigade fantastically well I think and have some very good talent on the rise through the grades. They specifically asked to move their thirds from E grade to D grade this year solely to expose some of their younger fringe players to a better quality of cricket to prepare them for Quiney and Longy. They are a well run club with a very strong junior foundation to draw from and I think it won't be long until they make their march up the Longy ladder.

By the way Merl, Kirsten is hanging in there nicely.

Longy

East Sandy (despite having a bunch of personnel out)
Carngie Sth (Ommies struggling)
Mackie (Buddha's day out)
West Bentleigh (lots of personnel back)
Bri Union (absence of Chubs makes the difference)
Bent ANA (more depth)

Wooly

Wash Park
Bent Utg
Chelsea Hts
Asp-Edi
Omega
Moo West

Coudlnt agree more Clocker, Haley has done a fantastic job down at the web, his knowledge and preperation will be the key to clubs perfromance in the following years. Wouldnt be suprised if the redbacks are up there with the beach boys and units in the years to come. Although it is obvious they have great skill in the one dayers, if they want to be a juggernaut of the competition they will have to perform in a two day format aswell, only time will tell.

On another note, My early tips to take out the Longy aggregate for Batting and Bowling?
Batting: Ash Russell
Bowling: Steve McConchie

Thoughts?

Yeh not bad tips Shane, would have had Russell And McConchie in my top few as well.

But on another issue, Alex Zaia, gone missing or what???
Doubts are starting raise about his future as a ones player at the units, esspecially with the new recruits being introduced, is a move the best option for young Zaia and possibly other players at the units that have been sharfted out of the way to make room for their new recruits.

Thoughts?

Been around the traps for a while now and few years back when A.Zaia was in what looks like it was the peak of his career the boys down at the units wouldn't stop chirping about this "young fella" they had picked up. The ex-dowling captain seems to have slowly faided since his form slump of the summer of 08, did it have something to do with him finishing school? or prehaps turing 18 and being new onto the club scene of Melbourne? No one knows but the pressures right on this kid that is slowly turing into a grown man, can he recaputrue the form he once had?

Tips

Longmuir
East Sandringham- at home in a close one with a big showing from Bunting nearly getting them home
Carnegie Sth- at home to have the rest of the comp stand up and notice they are coming and another week full of talk on the redbacks.
Mackie- to respond in a close tussel
West Bent- to account easily of central who will struggle this year
Uniting- just in a close one, word is close to 8 players missing last week from there top 2 grades and we may see the return of Coles to the line up for Surridge but Russel to be the difference with the ball.
Kingston Heath- showed signs last week and will have a major boost of confidence

Woolnough
Wash Ups V Cluden
Bent Utg v Bri Union
Bent ANA v Chelsea Hts
Asp RSL v East Sandy
Omega v Highett West
Moorabbin West v Hamp Utd

What i am looking forward to this week.

A- Clash of the round this week in Uniting and Union, Merl's man the alphabet can he back it up like the player of the year to be Ash Russel. Will Moose stand up in the big one for his side and can Ernst answer his critics that's if he holds his spot. Will Coles play?? and if he does will he pull his head out of his arse and deliver on years of wasted promise.

B- The next match of the round ESBC and the boy's from Elwood, can the wood's really insert themselves as a genuine contender this year. Will crack's in ESBC appear or has the return of Manders helped?

C- Will the Heath progress past Ana this year on field and look forward to a bright future!

D- Can Carnegie South be a genuine finals contender or will there oneday cricket ability come to the fore with a loss against a team who is finals bound.

So let's hope the weather holds off and we will see some very interesting 1st Saturday's play and result's

Yeh not bad tips Shane, would have had Russell And McConchie in my top few as well.

But on another issue, Alex Zaia, gone missing or what???
Doubts are starting raise about his future as a ones player at the units, esspecially with the new recruits being introduced, is a move the best option for young Zaia and possibly other players at the units that have been sharfted out of the way to make room for their new recruits.

Thoughts?

There is a bit of a reality check for a few of the younger ones at Uniting. A few of them have been coasting playing in strong junior teams and winning premierships where the standard was probably not as difficult as it should be.Uniting have been very good at manipulating the junior draws to ensure that they put teams in grades where they know they will play in a grand Final. Lalor will see through this pretty quickly as he has been there and done it all so he will raise the bar to a very high level. The issue at hand is whether these players have the intestinal fortitude to meet the challenge or will they go off and sulk.I would hope the former rather than the latter. With the addition of the new players their lower grades should really dominate, but their Woolnough team has already tasted defeat at the hands of the new kids on the block.

Been around the traps for a while now and few years back when A.Zaia was in what looks like it was the peak of his career the boys down at the units wouldn't stop chirping about this "young fella" they had picked up. The ex-dowling captain seems to have slowly faided since his form slump of the summer of 08, did it have something to do with him finishing school? or prehaps turing 18 and being new onto the club scene of Melbourne? No one knows but the pressures right on this kid that is slowly turing into a grown man, can he recaputrue the form he once had?

You raise some interesting points, i believe he is only 20 still and has all ready started off with some good highlights in what is only the start of his Longmuir career. I mean he was a Premiership player at 16 if i remember and last year made 125* in a Longmuir game so not all is lost on the kid. But you may be right he may have found the night club scene i did notice on the child's fb page some photo's of him out and about and enjoying his life, the kid is obviously still committed to cricket as he is still playing the game and i imagine in 5 years time he will be a opposing figure at the top of Uniting's batting. As the oldest brother of 4 boy's who all play at Uniting and given the family environment down there i don't think he would be going anywhere else. A product of there juniors and lives and breath's Uniting!

Good call slegnidnhoj, the plus here is he is still young physically and mentally. Hopefully he will grow to the size and build of a normal human being and become a very fine cricketer. I'd just hate to see Melbourne's very strong alcohol and drug culture get the better of him and slowly take him away from the sport that has given him so much support in his younger years.

I like the look of young Josh Fisher down at the web, I have seen the kid play a little bit of school cricket when I get some time out of the office. He has incredible strength for a young spinner and beautiful flow and control through his action, really excited to see him progress this year. Thoughts?

Just a quick one, what are everyones thoughts on the new approved CMCA Lloyd Champion four peice balls?
Will be used in the Longmuir Shield, Woolnough Shield, Quiney Shield and D Grade games

Heard a lot about young bats in and around the top grades, are there actually many top class young bowlers playing longmuir?

3peat? i think the new balls are just a way of the cmca trying to look like there doing something but as long as they are getting the job done than thats fine by me mate! Also yes, Josh Fisher is an exciting young player and with persistence, training and the right food diet he will go along way this season in becoming a future star.

And Roy i think that there are some good young bowlers coming through the ranks although there are possibly more quality young batsmen because as we know bowlers take longer to develop and hit there straps. Also the older bowlers in the competition have the advantage above there shoulders with their experience and knowledge gained through years of senior cricket.

Thoughts on the new clubrooms down at Elwood?

Back