City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

Sugar,
Watched a bit of the 20/20 last night, very poor turn out by the ANA crowd i thought.
Your views?

Don't know what you're alluding to Simon Baker-Denny... we had quite a few club members at the game, and didn't look out of place with the not so crash hot Mackie home game supporters.

Having said this, I can throw in several suggestions... such as work commitments, away game, late information from CMCA, threatening skies, junior commitments with our Under 12's who train on Wednesdays...

Mentalist there are other means and forms of coaching batsman rather then a bowling machine, obviously a ball machine is helpful in targeting a specific area. But this can also be achieved with throw downs! So i don't know why you are making a big deal of a club who is working hard to develop based on a Ball machine.......i mean get serious here, are we as a population and a race getting too sensitive on irrelevant issue's ??

Did pop down and see the Uniting v Omega game at Billionaire Park, Both sides littered with some youth but Omega's outfit seemed to be much younger....plenty of good players out of action for both sides. Clement, Reimers & Ferguson for Uniting Surridge, britt, turner & Heaney. Malane looked ominous and Omega looked set to post a bigger score but some tight Uniting bowling and the retirement of Malane hampered there quest for a sizable target. Game looked well and truly in the balance at 2-40 odd if i recall when Backman & Russel departed.......But Merl's favorite child & Lalor put on a 90 run stand in quick time to get ahead of the rate and end the game.

Just wondering if anyone find the fact the batsman has to retire at 50 as ridiculous, as we seen in a earlier post the wide rule was brought in to make for better and more exciting games. Well if that is the intention let the good bats bat for longer instead of having them just get going and then come off. Malane could of well notched up a 80odd last night getting the Ommies to 170-180 which may have made for a better more tighter contest but not to be!

What rubbish is this.....retire at 50? Do they also have to wear helmets and everyone must have a bat? I hope all their mums were there to give them a hug. Let's get serious and make it a proper competition.Can anyone else please provide some scores and results...greatly appreciated.

Clock,

You have to be joking Barrack was the driving force behind this half baked comp with half baked rules.Like you I thought it was only kids who had to retire and correct me if I am wrong but didn't trees are green say on Jimmy's radio show that they had looked at the rules from other major cricket comps and come up with this fairy tale.

Has anyone spoken to the child for his thoughts or aren't you allowed to talk to him either?

Nice to see Slim re instated after his brief spring carnival absence.

The lady on the tram said that the reason there were no scores was because some matches were still in progress due to the increase in balls bowled due to the silly wide rule.

But it has sparked a lot of debate on the BCF so it must be good for cricket with a few more newbies entering the fray.

Maybe we can get that golfing stud( no not you golf ) to contribute while he is in town for the masters?

over and out Merl

My tips for Rd 4
Longy

East Sandy
Bentleigh Uniting
Le Page Park
Elwood
Mackie
Brighton Union

Wooly

Omega
Moorabbin West
Washington Park
Bentleigh Uniting
Cluden
Chelsea Heights

The Hampton Central / Cluden 20/20, was won by the Blue caps 10/156 not sure who toped with the bat, but one J Bennett took a Hit Trick, Cluden in reply 10/114, no real stand outs.

Just interested on peoples thoughts on the Pink balls?

West Bentleigh have brought their big gun out of the holster for this week, Damien Casey is making his debut for the year. Will be very rusty after sitting in every bar in Europe over the winter.

Just interested on peoples thoughts on the Pink balls?

Pink balls, am I missing something here? We played with white balls the other night :eek:

As for the talk of the bowling machines of late and the Golfers not having one.... so what? Nothing beats facing real bowlers in the nets IMHO, and read something last year where Greg Chappell himself did not advocate their use - preferring the use of throw-downs as a better alternative. I found it Interesting!

As for one D Casey - thought that would be his normal pre-season/pre-game warm up anyway. Nothing different there ;)

Latest episode of the ANA Cricket Show is up on the www.bentleighana.com website. If only the Judge was scoring on the field as he does off the field with his commentary.

LONGMUIR
ESBC
Bent Uniting
Le Page Park
Elwood
ANA
Union

WOOLNOUGH
Omega
ANA
Washups
Bent Uniting
Cluden
Chelsea Heights

Mentalist there are other means and forms of coaching batsman rather then a bowling machine, obviously a ball machine is helpful in targeting a specific area. But this can also be achieved with throw downs! So i don't know why you are making a big deal of a club who is working hard to develop based on a Ball machine.......i mean get serious here, are we as a population and a race getting too sensitive on irrelevant issue's ??

Did pop down and see the Uniting v Omega game at Billionaire Park, Both sides littered with some youth but Omega's outfit seemed to be much younger....plenty of good players out of action for both sides. Clement, Reimers & Ferguson for Uniting Surridge, britt, turner & Heaney. Malane looked ominous and Omega looked set to post a bigger score but some tight Uniting bowling and the retirement of Malane hampered there quest for a sizable target. Game looked well and truly in the balance at 2-40 odd if i recall when Backman & Russel departed.......But Merl's favorite child & Lalor put on a 90 run stand in quick time to get ahead of the rate and end the game.

Just wondering if anyone find the fact the batsman has to retire at 50 as ridiculous, as we seen in a earlier post the wide rule was brought in to make for better and more exciting games. Well if that is the intention let the good bats bat for longer instead of having them just get going and then come off. Malane could of well notched up a 80odd last night getting the Ommies to 170-180 which may have made for a better more tighter contest but not to be!

Sledge,
I'd like to know how much coaching you have done in the past.
Throwdowns are really irrelevant unless you have someone who can actually throw the pill in the right areas consistantly.
As i said, i heard that KH do not have a bowlilng machine, this was from 2 of their players who also find it quite amasing.
If you know of how any reasonable coaching structure would work, i'm sure that a bowling machine would be preffered by most players, either to work on specific shots, or to improve their game with pace.
I'd also like to see you throw down a 100 balls to one player and then back up afterwards for some more.
Get real my friend, get your head into the progressive era of structured coaching programs.
If you do your research, maybe you'd find that most clubs are utilising a machine, one club i know of actually have 2.
Considering KH's batting issues, it couldn't hurt if used properly.
OH by the way, whats race got to do with a bowling machine ? Who's being sensitive !!!!!!!!!!!

Pink balls, am I missing something here? We played with white balls the other night :eek:

As for the talk of the bowling machines of late and the Golfers not having one.... so what? Nothing beats facing real bowlers in the nets IMHO, and read something last year where Greg Chappell himself did not advocate their use - preferring the use of throw-downs as a better alternative. I found it Interesting!

As for one D Casey - thought that would be his normal pre-season/pre-game warm up anyway. Nothing different there ;)

All very relevent spongey, but you also must be missing the point.
Facing real bowlers - yeah right, thats providing they are all there at the same time, for all players to get benefit.
Unless you have the best bats facing the best bowlers you will not improve, a machine mearly gives you another very good aide to utilise.
I would have thought you're club would certainly have one, oh well, lets hope the bingo pays well.

Don't know what you're alluding to Simon Baker-Denny... we had quite a few club members at the game, and didn't look out of place with the not so crash hot Mackie home game supporters.

Having said this, I can throw in several suggestions... such as work commitments, away game, late information from CMCA, threatening skies, junior commitments with our Under 12's who train on Wednesdays...

Sugar,

Not alluding to anything, just passing a comment as i thought ANA would be there in force, not sure what quite a few actually means, maybe they were in their cars.
The machine supporters were ok, except, they did manage to get a reaction from one your young players after he fielded poorly twice and then had to be moved, good experience for the lad though.

Sugar,

Not alluding to anything, just passing a comment as i thought ANA would be there in force, not sure what quite a few actually means, maybe they were in their cars.
The machine supporters were ok, except, they did manage to get a reaction from one your young players after he fielded poorly twice and then had to be moved, good experience for the lad though.

Opportunities to go up against quality names such as those at Mackie were at the forefront on Wednesday. The night was a great learning experience for several kids in our line up.

As expected, people have bitten re the ANA Cricket show... no one should complain, ANA cops a whack more than anyone.

I'll take all the home sides in Longmuir.
Woolnough
Omega
Moorabbin West
Wash Ups
Cluden
Chelsea
....and for you Merl, I'll back the Billionaires to make it 4 in a row for my mob.

Morning All,

Doesn't look like there will be much play today with the woman on the tram advising me that Premier cricket has been cancelled in all grades.Who would play turf cricket in Melb.

Merl did enter his tips via the new fangled grandson's iphone but they must be lost in Mars.

As there is likely to be little or no play today tips can be re entered and any of you who expereienced computer problems like old Merl you can have a one of extension to 12 noon today but I would think you will be re doing them any way.

Merl's tips which could also be in mars are

Longy
East Sandy
B Utg
Le Page
Elwood
Mackie
Bri Union

Bluff Rd Cup
Omega
Moo West
Wash Pk
B Utg
Cluden
Ch Hts

enjoy the beers in the club rooms as you watch the rain or practice your poker for the Big Mac Tournament tonight.

Merl over and out

LONGY
East Sandy
Bentleigh Uniting
Le Page Park
Elwood
Mackie
West Bentleigh

WOOLY
Asp - Edithvale RSL
Moorabbin West
Washington Park