City Of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2011/12

Brighton Union v Elwood
Le Page Park v Kingston Heath
West Bentleigh v Bentleigh ANA
Hampton Central v East Sandringham Boys Club
Mackie v Bentleigh Uniting
Chelsea Heights v Carnegie South

For those that continue to feel the overwhelming urge to talk about Bentleigh Uniting ad nauseum, I've gone to the trouble of creating a new thread to continue your debate. I'm getting sick of constantly reading about them in the CMCA thread. Here's the link, go for your lives.

http://www.bigcricket.com/community/threads/bentleigh-uniting-for-lovers-and-haters.63907/

Golf, I'm glad that Kingston Heath are starting to get the success they've worked hard for so long. I've always enjoyed playing against you guys and have had some great Grand Final battles over the years too, unfortunately you guys are 2-1 up on that score! You're investment in the kids have provided a good model to follow.

Hey PP, it's good that East Sandy are getting a spell and good that The Golfers are starting to show some progress.
If you are as successful as Uniting are being presently (as East have been for 20 odd years) then you are bound to get kicked about, it's just how we Skippies operate. I am sure it does not worry them all that much and the fact is that some teams are beaten before they even get on the park against these two teams. They carry themselves with necessary arrogance in the same way as an in-form batsman or bowler does on the field because they expect to go well all of the time. I say kudos to Uniting for doing what it took to measure up to the standard East set and now they have taken it up a notch and are asking other clubs to match them. Sadly, so far there has been little evidence that anyone is doing much to reach the higher mark with only 2 clubs looking likely to mount any sort of a challenge at all this season.

Brighton Union v Elwood
Le Page Park v Kingston Heath
West Bentleigh v Bentleigh ANA
Hampton Central v East Sandringham Boys Club
Mackie v Bentleigh Uniting
Chelsea Heights v Carnegie South

For those that continue to feel the overwhelming urge to talk about Bentleigh Uniting ad nauseum, I've gone to the trouble of creating a new thread to continue your debate. I'm getting sick of constantly reading about them in the CMCA thread. Here's the link, go for your lives.

http://www.bigcricket.com/community/threads/bentleigh-uniting-for-lovers-and-haters.63907/

Golf, I'm glad that Kingston Heath are starting to get the success they've worked hard for so long. I've always enjoyed playing against you guys and have had some great Grand Final battles over the years too, unfortunately you guys are 2-1 up on that score! You're investment in the kids have provided a good model to follow.

No worries PP. Take your point and more than happy put some other clubs under the microscope, hence my last request to Clocker. I’m an infrequent poster to this forum but it least it adds something other than the endless stream of tips and club promotions. Without the Clocker V BUCC banter it’s become more of a tipping thread really. But I agree – time to move on. Plenty of worthwhile posters with strong ideas and club allegiances. Would be genuinely good to hear some balanced views on Uniting from others (such as Jimmy) or even better how other clubs are travelling – eg Golf’s views on KH.

Hey PP, it's good that East Sandy are getting a spell and good that The Golfers are starting to show some progress.
If you are as successful as Uniting are being presently (as East have been for 20 odd years) then you are bound to get kicked about, it's just how we Skippies operate. I am sure it does not worry them all that much and the fact is that some teams are beaten before they even get on the park against these two teams. They carry themselves with necessary arrogance in the same way as an in-form batsman or bowler does on the field because they expect to go well all of the time. I say kudos to Uniting for doing what it took to measure up to the standard East set and now they have taken it up a notch and are asking other clubs to match them. Sadly, so far there has been little evidence that anyone is doing much to reach the higher mark with only 2 clubs looking likely to mount any sort of a challenge at all this season.

Yes, the success of clubs all move with ebbs and flows and the tide seems to be slowly turning for a couple of other clubs that have been struggling in Longy for the last few years. The signs are good with a couple of competitive clubs moving up through the ranks, so hopefully with more experience and confidence gained from good results they'll get better again to make a really competitive comp next year.

With all the talk centred around Bentleigh Uniting, East Sandy seem to be travelling nice and quietly and I'm sure they are focusing on getting the right results by the end of March.

Having said that, finals are a whole different ball game, and as upsets seem to come more commonly in finals, it will be an interesting March this year.

PP, pretty piss poor effort. The debate was healthy. Bunter summed it up pretty well. It's the tall poppy syndrome. You're either with them or against them. Doesn't have to be about ourselves or our clubs. It's a public forum. One which you've been a solid contributor to, but that act of starting a new thread was pathetic. Who died and made you the forum God?

UM - The act of starting a new thread was to point out that this forum's blogs has been revolving around/dominated by Bent Uniting recently and to also point out that it would be refreshing to read about the progress/regress of other clubs. It may have pushed the envelope, but it got my point of view across. Which is exactly what my post was - my point of view. As was yours. As you point out, it is a public forum after all.

Unfortunately I think that the majority of clubs are either fighting against relegation in Longy or concentrating on fighting their way up the ladder as best they can, so they are not willing to shine the spotlight on themselves in a public forum - even this one. Putting it bluntly, they haven't got a soapbox to stand on, which is unfortunate as it would be good to hear how things are going in their clubs overrall without the risk of getting their head chopped off in a public forum.

Which leaves the debate wide open to the two clubs dominating the comp - East Sandy and Bent Uniting. East Sandy are keeping the nose to the grindstone and getting on with Saturday arvo business and leaving it at that. Which leaves the forum to Bent Uniting . . .

So I guess I'm trying to get some response from other clubs in the comp about what's going on and how they're travelling.

Chooka and Brett,
I have to keep you blokes honest or you will start believing your own publicity. Just asking some questions that many ask in general conversation as I do the rounds.We can all agree to disagree and do it in a civil manner unlike posts of many years ago where the filthy and unsophisticated language quickly permeated a discussion which served to terminate a debate. So bring it on. No club will escape the spot light at some stage and whilst I may not comment on them does not mean I am not watching, listening and compiling my dossier. There are two clubs that are going to have questions put to them come the end of the season. Enjoyed listening to Jimmy’s spray on Hampton United before XMAS. Absolutely paid out on them, as a former legend is entitled to do. Hopefully a few of them will take it to heart and do something.

You still have not explained why the smoke and mirrors with respect to the 20/20 match against Buckley Ridges? You talk about Uniting bashing and here is a perfect opportunity to advertise your club and yet you snubbed the whole Association? I hope it had nothing to with not wanting witnesses present to a possible defeat for the invincibles?

Now Mr Parker, I have not forgotten the Spiders and their marvelous performance this season. I was waiting to see whether the affliction they suffered last season after XMAS had gone into remission or whether would it flare up again. I am not overly convinced about the Spiders batting, but your lads managed to get over a hurdle against the reinvigorated Sky Blues, thanks to Mr. Handley who made his one score for the year. Thankfully his bowling has been of a bygone era when the Spiders used to have him as the poster boy of the club. He is bowling like a true veteran, with a lot of variety and using his vast experience. It is one thing to sail along under the radar PP, but now you have the spotlight well and truly upon you so it will be interesting to see how the lads cope. Whilst this week against Chelsea Heights appears to be a formality, everyone still recalls that they had Chooka’s mob 5/25 as the Intensive care paramedics were treating all the Uniting supporters. Get over this week then you come up against the Juggernaut. Irrespective, it has been a good season for the Spiders. It is a pity that Lords has been out of action and has probably cost you a few dollars over the bar. Will they play any games there this season considering it looks as though you will get a home final?...or are we going to start this rubbish that they should not play a final at Lords assuming it is available?

Leroy,
Quite correct in your summation. It has been a long road to get this group to start playing the way you expect and full credit to you and your committee.

So I guess I'm trying to get some response from other clubs in the comp about what's going on and how they're travelling.

Not sure what all the fuss is about really! As they say - opinions are like a**holes - everyone's got one - well I'd hope anyway ;)
Who cares if t's dominated by Bentleigh Uniting talk? The way they are travelling they probably deserve top billing on the forum! They are the benchmark of the comp and will always garner attention and talk - good or bad!

PP, in response to what else is happening - massive games this week in Wooly - will no doubt go a fair way in determining the final 4. Hard to believe how close the comp is. Fifth, who shall remain nameless for fear up upsetting others, are only % out of second spot so things are getting serious come the pointy end of the season - 8 point games all around. Shades of last year!

On a social note - a quick plug for the "Battle of Bentleigh" held at Shark Park this year.

Battle of Bentleigh – 29 January 2012
Washington Park will play host to CMCA rivals Bentleigh Uniting, ANA and West Bentleigh on Sunday 29 January for the fourth annual Battle of Bentleigh.
Each team will play off in the 20/20 tournament for a $1,000 grand prize.
Admission is free and there will be plenty of music, food and activities for all who attend. These have been great days the last 3 years and it is now our turn to host the event at arguably the best ground and facilities in the CMCA!
Where: Packer Park Reserve, Leila Rd Carnegie, 68 J8
When: First game 9:30am Washington Park vs West Bentleigh
Second game 12:00pm Bentleigh Uniting vs Bentleigh ANA
Final 3:30pm
Milo junior cricketers from all four clubs will also be on show between games so parents are more than welcome to stay and watch the CMCA's own Big Bash.

Be great to see as many of you posters and readers down there on the 29th to enjoy the day! Hopefully the sun is out and plenty of action to witness.
Good luck to all tomorrow...

Tips - Longy
Hoops - [ beach boys have been overatted all season ]
Panthers at home [ golfers improving but only just ]
ANA [ need to find ways to be more consistant ]
Gold Caps [ two blues, too old , too inconsistant ]
Uniting [ will show up the machines inabilities ]
Spiders [ this may be the turn up of the round, spiders may be out of their comfort zone but should get the job done ]

Wooly
Westars [ moose has had a big xmas ]
Micks mob [ only chance against a 4th 11 ]
Uniting [ lets see how happy the young blokes are at chookas place ]
Gardens [ jimmy's mob are not up to this grade, should put the white flag up and merge ]
ANA [ if ther're fairdinkum ]
Gold caps [ should win the battle of the barrels ]

I'd just like to say how nice it is for us to be discussed as a possible contender for Finals rather than relegation. Been a tough couple of years for us as it usually is for all teams that come up. The boys are now starting to grow up and fulfill the potential that they all have.
We realise that we have a long way to go, and by no means should we think that we're better than what we are. All we can do is to try and do the basics correctly, and look after our own game.
The watershed game for us was the Carnegie South game where we were all embarassed by our batting display. Kudos to the Spiders for the way they bowled and fielded, but we went down without a whimper. Since then we've shown a lot more determination in our batting.
Massive few games coming up for us. Our goal as it is each game is to play the best that we can, and the result will take care of itself.

Well said Leroy.
After playing against you for quite a few years now, i believe you deserve a lot of credit for the success of the club. Particularly the 1sts & their development.
I look forward to another good contest against you this match!
Tips:
Union
Le Page
Bentleigh ANA
East Sandy
Uniting
Chelsea Heights

can add a few others to the list as well Clock (vorbs?) & BTK towards the end of the matting years (my 1st few years were on the stuff, short & round teenager facing a few of them was tough.. trust me!! hence why i started batting on the 1st peg, still do it today)
Blicky, Cammy Dwyer was tough work at training CD hit more people in the head than anyone else i have ever seen..
Chubba 15 years ago, was a guy from Brighton Central that was quick as well (cant remeber his name)..

always makes for a good chat talking bout quickies...

Merry Xmas to all, been a big year on B.C.F!!

i am handing out the un-official CMCA BCF awards..

MVP- Uncle MICK - consistent performer who has commented on nearlly every sub topic covered, & has handed out a few needels along the way... put his name (& maybe a few others??) to his thoughts, which as we all know rates highly in my book.

Runner Up - Clocker- was only a part timer previuosly, but has hit hit top form this season, promoted to opener after some solid form. A little less 'cricket politics' chat & is a real dnager for the top award next season.. also taken over the stats & tipping from old mate merl.. top work!

International Award- Pup after he has been un gagged (by Shags, OOhh some poetry) has come back to his beloved home with some worthwhile contributions from the other side of the globe...

Mike Sheehan Award- Homer J - keeps us up to date with memories from past years, & the occasional (also happens after about 6 bourbons usually) reminder of the double Michelle..haha! always good value to add another view of current topics

NABCFA (Eg NAGA) Award- to all the keyboard warriors who still wont put their name to their dribble.. HTFU!!

Not too sure that you have any right to suggest any body putting names to their dribble.
Sorry if the rest of us key board warriors are not in the burger loop, so why don't you do us all a favour and let us know who you really are !!!!!!!!!!!

To offset the random bickering and p!ssing contests, good luck to everyone this round... as the tail end of the season gets closer, clubs are either fighting for top 4 spots or avoiding relegation (like us at ANA).

People seem to feel the need to write something because they're bored, but ultimately there's only one way to combat negative opinion & speculation on whether teams are good enough, and that's simply to win games of cricket. Anything else is just a waste of time.

PP, I'm not having a crack at your opinion. It's the starting of a new thread that's child's play.
Nothing will change in the way of output from other clubs. It's the same old "faces" every year. Too many are too scared to have an opinion for fear of any backlash. There have been countless conversations I've had with opposition clubs about the forum which tells me plenty of people read it. Sadly (for the forum), these same people don't have the fortitude to share their opinions. I cop my fair bit of stick for being opinionated and the like (fair enough too), but as long as it doesn't get personal or unnecessary, I couldn't care less. Unfortunately, there are those who aren't thick skinned enough to be seen in a different light by their peers and so choose to remain a silent contributor. Essentially there are more introverts than extroverts that like to view the forum. Either way, there's still enough pages being filled to keep those who read this thread interested.

I'll jump on the Leroy love in as well. It's been a fantastic result for the club thus far. I hope they can continue the rise and we see a new face as the CMCA benchmark. It's been great to see the last handful of sides promoted from Woolnough slowly working their way up. After the gap at the top there seems to be a fairly even grade. Let's hope collectively they bridge the gap and make this an exciting comp.

Thanks Boys!:) It's always nice to get the respect of your peers.
I'm of the opinion that if you're as good as BUCC and East Sandy are you can walk with a swagger. I played for a Sunday team about 20 years ago, and the swagger around the whole club was impressive to say the least. We knew that the best bowlers we were going to face were the ones in the nets, and the best batsmen too. So the weekend had no fears for us.
I think that's how the top two see themselves. The only way to stop it, is to step up and beat them. Until then good luck to em.
Should be a good contest against Le Page tomorrow. Really enjoy playing against them. A great bunch of lads, like most of the CMCA to tell the truth.

Union
Pageys
West Bentleigh
Centrals
Bentleigh Uniting
Heighters

For what it's worth on the Le Roy love in-he's a prick, cant bat, cant bowl or sledge.. Only joking big fella, it's been fun!! Your point is right tho ,most of the clubs are pretty good, after playing vs a high nember of the same guys for 10-20 years & sharing a few (in some cases many, many, many!!) brews together, its kinda hard not to get along... There are still a few Flogs out there tho, who walk round with the chest out & superman cape on.... they get found out pretty quick tho!!

Mentalist- see my reply to the other 'Rookie'

Also lads- Cenrals have their annual poker tournament on Sat week from 7pm (21st Jan @ Clubrooms).. $50 entry with rebuys/ add ons Happy hour, finger food & $1,000 up for grabs (usually pays final table of 8??).. was a big night last & well supported by quite a few clubs, so hope you can make it... All welcome, any further info req. post on here & i will answer..

Been busy in here last few days, everyone still on holidays with some time to kill?? Or is it the full moon, so all the fruit cakes have surfaced?

Round 7 Preview
The general rule of thumb is that 42 points (seven wins or the equivalent of) are required to play finals. That being said, we can only rule out the bottom three, but realistically only Mackie Union or Le Page could force their way into March action. The one-day twilight format has had its knockers, but I feel will be a success, especially for the home club. Whether the shorter format and time of day affect any results, only time will tell.
Golfers over Chelsea just (This may well be a thriller with both teams desperate to win, albeit for differing reasons. Will be interesting to see if Anthony ‘Panther’ Reid is back for the Heighters).Mackie over Elwood just (Should be a thriller at the beach, but the Woods have lost all respect with recent performances. No doubt they will find their mojo seeing I am off them, but the Machine cannot afford to lose pace with the Top 4. Mackie just).Uniting over West easily (The Doug Quick Shield is a no brainer. Uniting should be asked to bat off a Handicap – say 25 overs only – in order to even this one up as they will do it in a canter. Tom Backman to star).Carn Sth over Centrals (Too much at stake for the Spiders who are fast becoming the most accomplished outfit outside the top 2. Any Schleiger for high bat).Le Page over ANA by a whisker (Even after their spirited performance last round, I cannot bring myself to select ANA, particularly when the season is on the line for the Panthers. De Silva to star for the visitors).ESBCC over Union comfortably (At the beginning of the year, you’d have penciled this in as one of the key fixtures of the season. But depth problems (particularly in their bowling stocks) have seen Union have a less that satisfactory season so far, whilst the Juggernaut seem to be able to handle anyone with the exception of Uniting. Luke Dallas to be a key figure in the game

Round 7 Review

6/6 (25/42 cumulative) was a welcome return to form and quite possibly the only time I will pick the card this season. Key wins by Le Page and the Spiders in close games to keep them both well and truly in the mix. Union failing as expected are most probably out of finals contention along with the grossly disappointing Elwood. Just what has gone wrong at the Beach this year Marshall? (as I have certainly didn’t see it coming…) The Golfers continue to impress with the likes of Troy Warner and Calum Rayner amongst the runs and wickets, just how far they can progress this season remains to be seen, but the future at Southern Rd Reserve looks rosy. The Juggies and Uniting won as usual in what was largely a round of few surprises.

Many have focused on finals aspirants throughout the forum this week, but equally intriguing is the race to avoid the dreaded drop. There is no weak team this season (one could argue there are five equally weak teams I suppose) in that no one has been left behind a la Omega last year and hence any one of five teams could possibly finish last. This week’s game at Victory Park is crucial for both combatants and an ANA win could all but secure their place in Longmuir for 2012/13. Of all the teams in this bracket Centrals draw is seemingly the easiest with games against Chelsea, Le Page & ANA. Who would’ve picked Elwood having to win against Chelsea on the final day of the season to avoid the drop? Unlikely I know, but certainly a possibility. The Cowboys also play three of the teams in the bottom half, but they are arguably the weakest team (depth wise) in the Premier Division. Chelsea will have to defeat either Union or Elwood in the final two games to stay up…

Round 8 Preview

Union over Elwood just (Something tells me this will be a most fiery contest with Elwood suddenly playing to avoid the drop. One cannot select Marshall’s boys, but do not be surprised if they post a more than competitive total against Union’s pedestrian attack. Much may derived from the toss of the coin and if The Hoops can put runs on the board through the likes of Pothitos and Kuzma, then they may just do enough. Not tipping them with any confidence though).
Le Page over the Golfers by a whisker (Another crunch game that could clearly go either way, but one gets the feeling that the Panthers will see this as a game they must win and the six point buffer that Kingston Heath holds makes it a true ’12 pointer’. When in doubt wisdom says to go with the home side so I select Le Page with much caution. Oshan De Silva to prove the difference).
ANA over West Bent just (Crucial fixture that both clubs will see as winnable, but ANA’s form is clearly better pushing Le Page all the way and beating Mackie in recent outings. Keith Biggs has had a fine season and as long as he keeps Chopper Reid at bay will not be troubled against West’s ‘second stringers’. The Cowboys will look the winner at some stage of the match and expect massive fluctuations with Betfair. However, lack of depth from the home side will prove costly once again).
ESBC over Centrals comfortably (Only complacency could oust the Juggies who look certain to clinch the double chance. Centrals have been better of late but will be no match for boys from Chisholm Reserve. Mark Devereaux to make a big score).
Uniting over Mackie easily (Bent Utg will lose a game one day, but it unlikely to be this season and the Machine are most unlucky that they meet the all conquering men from Centenary Park this round. Damian Britt is due for a score so I will select him at odds for the high bat).
Spiders over Heighters easily (Carnegie along with Kingston Heath have been the big improvers this season and expect them to hand no favours to Brad Lockhart and his men. It is a good sign for the Spiders that they were able to win without Noombie and Scott Handley bowling fifth change, so how could you select against that).

Good luck to all

Quasi

No mention of your 84*? Well done again, bud. And congrats to Highett West's Winnie Corr who coached the U/12s to victory in the Mitchell Shield final today.

Back