Cmca 2012/13

Consider for a moment the current structure of the Woolnough competition.

Bentleigh Uniting, Washington Park, Elwood or the Royals and the Juggernaut cannot be promoted.
Hampton United, Highett West, & Aspendale Gardens would never get promoted even if they were to miraculously win the flag.

So now we are talking about the Cowboys, Hampton Central, Moorabbin West, Cluden & Omega.

If you recall Cluden did the competition a favour by accepting promotion from C Grade five years ago, (even though they never won the flag) to try and freshen up the competition. They have performed admirably, but at this point in time and probably for the next five years they are not a Longmuir club.

Westars have missed out promotion with three Grand Final losses and not once did the Executive consider whether they should have demoted a poorer performing team in Longmuir and give the Westars a chance to prove themselves. Why? Where was the soul searching to improve the competition?

Omega is one of the few super clubs and clearly has the muscle and influence to demand immediate reinstatement to Longmuir. Their case for reinstatement will be hard to dispute.

Interestingly Washington Park had to endure a second season in Woolnough after their heart breaking loss to Chelsea Heights. Let’s be honest CH have had some horrific performances in Longmuir, but they are considered a super club of the future…assuming they don’t decide to up and leave to another competition at some stage in the future. Where was the soul searching for Washington Park?

Hampton Central have had an up and down five years and many probably consider their days as a Longmuir team are probably behind them, until such time as they rebuild their stocks. Many within the club would probably vehemently disagree.

Why isn’t the Executive putting the Hoops under the microscope? They are struggling on and off the field and some would argue that Cowboys are in a much better position than the Hoops.
The same argument could be made for Le Page who just avoided relegation and were clearly out of their depth this season..

Drop three to Woolnough and promote Omega and make it a 10 team competition. Is this an option?

If they are adamant that 12 teams must remain then they should do it as a proper run business proposition. With 4 months to go to the season commencing why not give the Westars and Hampton Central the opportunity now to put forward a proposal to rejoin Longmuir along with Le Page and the Hoops outlining their reason why they should remain in Longmuir?

If you are going to move the goal post then you as well go the whole nine yards.

Interseting you brought up double promotion/ double relegation Uncle Mick. I am not a beliver in this but I am of the opinion that the CMCA needs to bite the bullet and make Longmuir and Woolnough 10 team comps. The bottom few teams in Woolnough make up the numbers every year and lets be honest some of the second XI teams that have been there over the last few seasons would be lucky to finish mid table in Quiney. There would be 9 2 day games which is fair for all and it can only make the comp a better standard.

Clocker right on the money, I suggested this back in Febuary. We have run out of enough quality teams to fill the top 2 grades, it would make every grade a better standard and would feed through into lower grades.

No doubt other clubs will come for there fringe players, but I also can't see them leaving, I can't recall any players leaving Uniting to another Cmca club in the past, they're a family run club so a lot of the mentioned players have connections and family there.

But by all means all clubs should at least ask the question, I know we've asked and had a firm and polite no Ty.

Yes I agree, hard to see any of them leaving.

My sources have led me to believe that of the three players mentioned, Backman would be the most likey to pursue opportunities elsewhere.

My gut feeling is that he will stay but I am led to believe that three clubs are going after him pretty hard. Boys Club, Elwood and Wash ups.

Over and out.
B.

Clocker I like your approach these days, especially since you've moved your allegiance to the Den ;)))

But though I agree with Omega going up, your 3 down move is a tad extreme, some clubs just need a couple of injections of players albeit some promising juniors or a couple of recruits and they're in the mix come March.

Most clubs would subscribe to that theory down the bottom of the table, based on your theory we would have not won Longy in 05-06 as you would have had us relegated for finishing 2nd bottom in 04-05.

I personally believe Omegas structure and junior set up got them over the line and back into Longy.

Regarding Jewell I very much doubt he will move clubs for half of what he is on ATM.

Backers won't go anywhere especially if I am playing, I am his Tom Cruise to his Sean Penn, I keep him grounded, but if any clubs are after him I will give you a tip......'Tommy has a weakness for Leggo, his single bed is made of Leggo, as is his night light' a box of Leggo will secure his services.

The stuff Cleetus wrote about Lalor and I is crap, Glenn hates human beings, I find he lacks emotion and is a boring grumpy old man, I've only been spotted with him because I tolerate him for the good of the club.

Let’s not get that hotel room just yet Brett. The Juggernaut are still my lovelies, and they will be back at some stage.

If you drop 3 clubs you send a clear message to all in the competition that if you want to play Longmuir you have to be 100% committed on and off the field. If you want to rebuild then you can do it in Woolnough. Too many dead games in the last 3-4 seasons so it is time to up the ante.

Ten teams vying for 4 spots and no one wants to be at the bottom when the music stops. Could not ask for a tighter competition. Who knows the senior Rep games may even get reincarnated.

The only qualification is that there has to be either a points or salary cap in place otherwise it will become a spend fest.

Consider for a moment the current structure of the Woolnough competition.

Bentleigh Uniting, Washington Park, Elwood or the Royals and the Juggernaut cannot be promoted.
Hampton United, Highett West, & Aspendale Gardens would never get promoted even if they were to miraculously win the flag.

Dont agree with this at all. You win the flag you go up, surely thats straight forward and a club deserves the opportunity if they are good enough in Woolnough?

Murmurs coming out of Jolimont that fair to say two of the biggest signings in the history of club cricket are close to being finalised in the CMCA! Those astute punters amongst you may take a spin at guessing the proposal being touted, but if it does eventuate, I would suggest that anyone thinking about changing clubs next season may pay to be a little non-commital with their allegiances at this stage - this will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for those involved.... Fingers crossed for the CMCA that the worlds line up!

Come on Shark Park

Put your neck out, give us some specifics, who, what, when and were.

Good news is welcome to strengthen the CMCA

Choc mud cake

With the new scoreboard going in at centenary and pavilion not far away someone or several people must be running the club very efficiently of the field . The young kids are staying because the older blokes are retiring . Looking from the outside our club is striving to follow in there steps ,instead of knocking them and what there trying to achieve .We should thank them for trying to build up the competition .Everyone forgets
How many people at omega are getting paid .Ivan ,Aaron ,jules have already ruined one club now there plotting to recruit Con Pothitos and Nick Jewell .A great club like omega will lose its good reputation built up over many years with the poor recruiting headed by Ivan .They choked in last years final again so maybe there recruits are like st Kilda and no matter what they do they just lose .Omega will survive and as usual there recruits will change clubs to greener pastures , Again

With the new scoreboard going in at centenary and pavilion not far away someone or several people must be running the club very efficiently of the field . The young kids are staying because the older blokes are retiring . Looking from the outside our club is striving to follow in there steps ,instead of knocking them and what there trying to achieve .We should thank them for trying to build up the competition .Everyone forgets
How many people at omega are getting paid .Ivan ,Aaron ,jules have already ruined one club now there plotting to recruit Con Pothitos and Nick Jewell .A great club like omega will lose its good reputation built up over many years with the poor recruiting headed by Ivan .They choked in last years final again so maybe there recruits are like st Kilda and no matter what they do they just lose .Omega will survive and as usual there recruits will change clubs to greener pastures , Again

G'day Bruce. Been at Omega for one year, but have not met you as yet. Obviously you're part of our committee, and are aware of who is paid and how much. Next time you're at training or a function, say g'day.

As for Ivan, Az and Jules. While the three of them are more than capable of defending themselves, I'd like to know how they ruined Brighton Union? Have they gone into liquidation or relegated from Longmuir? Obviously relationships are strained when they still hang around with players from their previous club.

I've heard a lot of rumours on here as to who we're recruiting. I see Gilly has retired from the IPL. Might give him a call too!

Choke is quite an insulting word, not only for us but for Bentleigh Uniting as well. It implies that the only reason they won a Premiership was because of our failure, not the excellent cricket that they played. We posted a competitive score, and due to 2 outstanding innings they chased our total down. A hard fought game, and the team that played better prevailed.

How exactly do we lose our good reputation that's been built up over 40 years? The club is filled with good, decent people, who give up their time ( like most other clubs), who ensure that the players who come on board adhere to the club's philosophies. Not one person is bigger than the club, and the generations of people that it represents. It denegrates these people to make such a rash comment that 'omega will lose it's good reputation', due to poor recruiting. If you have a personal issue with certain people, that's your perogative, but don't presume that you know how we as a club go about our business. It's a rather ill conceived and poorly thought out argument.

G'day Bruce. Been at Omega for one year, but have not met you as yet. Obviously you're part of our committee, and are aware of who is paid and how much. Next time you're at training or a function, say g'day.

As for Ivan, Az and Jules. While the three of them are more than capable of defending themselves, I'd like to know how they ruined Brighton Union? Have they gone into liquidation or relegated from Longmuir? Obviously relationships are strained when they still hang around with players from their previous club.

I've heard a lot of rumours on here as to who we're recruiting. I see Gilly has retired from the IPL. Might give him a call too!

Choke is quite an insulting word, not only for us but for Bentleigh Uniting as well. It implies that the only reason they won a Premiership was because of our failure, not the excellent cricket that they played. We posted a competitive score, and due to 2 outstanding innings they chased our total down. A hard fought game, and the team that played better prevailed.

How exactly do we lose our good reputation that's been built up over 40 years? The club is filled with good, decent people, who give up their time ( like most other clubs), who ensure that the players who come on board adhere to the club's philosophies. Not one person is bigger than the club, and the generations of people that it represents. It denegrates these people to make such a rash comment that 'omega will lose it's good reputation', due to poor recruiting. If you have a personal issue with certain people, that's your perogative, but don't presume that you know how we as a club go about our business. It's a rather ill conceived and poorly thought out argument.
Come on Golf are you trying to tell us only one of the big three are getting paid. We all know you are a paid playing coach and you are only allowed two paid players. I cant imagine two of those three would move without money.
Ask anyone at Union and they will tell you they were happy to see the back of Gregory the way he plays the game is a disgrace. He will only hurt Omegas reputation if he stays.

Murmurs coming out of Jolimont that fair to say two of the biggest signings in the history of club cricket are close to being finalised in the CMCA! Those astute punters amongst you may take a spin at guessing the proposal being touted, but if it does eventuate, I would suggest that anyone thinking about changing clubs next season may pay to be a little non-commital with their allegiances at this stage - this will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for those involved.... Fingers crossed for the CMCA that the worlds line up!

I've got a fair ide

I've got a fair idea what you're on about Shark Park. My understanding is the VCA will be heavily endorsing this game as part of a "Back to Grassroots" cricket promotion.

S. K. Warne (East Sandringham) and R. T. Ponting (Washington Park) will hopefully play a game against each other in a one day game in early December. The CMCA are completely behind this and will do their best to arrange this.

Obviously this is pending availability and all that but this would be an unreal day if it were to go ahead. Would be a huge day for the CMCA and both clubs involved.

Warne Vs Ponting will probably be a bit more exciting than Phelan Vs Malane...

Excuse the skepticism, but I'll believe it when I see it. Warnie has said to be playing the odd game at the Boys Club for the past 4-5 years. With that said, it would be a massive coup for the CMCA/SECA.
On the topic, is everyone voting pro-SECA on Wednesday night? We're in the negative at HW. Whilst we welcome the Association evolving, there has been no genuine cause for the name change identified. We're both a reputable and established competition of which Moorabbin has been an integral part of dating back to its early years as the MDCA. Unless we're merging with another competition, we feel its incumbent of the clubs and the committee to recognise our humble beginnings, or maintain our identity if you will, whether it be an accurate geographic representation or not.

Excuse the skepticism, but I'll believe it when I see it. Warnie has said to be playing the odd game at the Boys Club for the past 4-5 years. With that said, it would be a massive coup for the CMCA/SECA.
On the topic, is everyone voting pro-SECA on Wednesday night? We're in the negative at HW. Whilst we welcome the Association evolving, there has been no genuine cause for the name change identified. We're both a reputable and established competition of which Moorabbin has been an integral part of dating back to its early years as the MDCA. Unless we're merging with another competition, we feel its incumbent of the clubs and the committee to recognise our humble beginnings, or maintain our identity if you will, whether it be an accurate geographic representation or not.

Well said Uncle Mick,
I am of the same view. Why change the name of the CMCA unless the competition is going to merge? Excellent call by you UM. Let's embrace our heritage a bit more.

I hope most clubs vote to keep the name as is for the time being. There is a lot of talk in regards to big name recruits, just wondering if the CMCA will be bring in the points system this season. My gut tells me they will sit on there hands for another season. Hope I am wrong though.

The CMCA is the bling competition of the Southern Suburbs. Big name recruits, big dollars, strong juniors and the golden tonsils of Bunter along with his weekly column which everyone awaits with baited breath. Don’t have to travel to Melton or Keilor to play a game of cricket. Don’t have to worry about preparing sub standard wickets and opposition teams trying to get ice on the pitch to try and doctor a match or being forced to play 2 innings when a game is decided because of some out dated ruling. The CMCA has 80 years of history and tradition. You don’t get rid of that without a consequence.

I am not going to disagree with Uncle Chicks or the Donut Blockers view, but what I would say, why don't either of you come up with a league name that can reflect the fact the CMCA now branches out past Moorabbin whilst keeping the link to the CMCA??

The VFL changed to the AFL, not saying that is a perfect comparison but it was all about the change due to the coverage of the game.

Maybe something like MBCA 'Moorabbin Bayside Cricket Association'

Mmmm Donuts

Back