Cricket Albury/wodonga

I agree Sir Don, would surely tarnish a Clubs rep if the have but unfortunately, people do stupid things from time to time. Also does not sit well considering the 2nd grade clash between New City and Dederang at Dederang had an un-playable wicket due to water the second week and had to be called off before both teams even got to the ground. Results show that NC had them 8/26 over night and looked like an outright was on the cards. As CAW has already set the precedence on that matter we know what the outcome would be with that. I like Steve Keene's take on the alleged 'no ball' being found somewhere on the road between Albury and Dederang. Vintage Keene at play, considering that statement, I doubt NC are concerned at all.

I'm curious LTG - I didn't see Keeno's statement about the no ball, but what do you mean about "Vintage Keene at play?"

I'm curious LTG - I didn't see Keeno's statement about the no ball, but what do you mean about "Vintage Keene at play?"

Just love big crciket coodabean, everyone is a psychologist:p Having known and played with Steve back in the day, he is always one that was quick with a witty response out of the box, that is how it was 'vintage Keene at play'.

I don't think that it's that unfortunate that Dederang won't get the points, they are a very poor side except for Creamer. Both scorer's agreed on the score and the umpires awarded New City a win on 1st innings and players shook hands with that result agreed upon. It has been said that the book was altered after the fact and entered into MyCricket without the correct consultation and due course being followed by Dederang. You can't just go changing the score because you felt like it, that's poor form no matter witch way you look at it. Someone needs a kick in the pants for that. New City will get belted by the Robbie Bulldogs, sorry I mean Wodonga Bulldogs (unless he chokes) and push it up-hill against North pending a miracle:eek:

It's unfortunate to lose by a run no matter how poor the side is. Hopefully Dederang hasn't done anything wrong, I very much doubt it considering most of their players weren't even aware they'd tied until a while after.

I was interested to see Erdlejack in the paper saying that CAW were thinking of introducing a system preventing players from changing clubs to avoid playing either provincial or district, after their clubs are promoted/ relegated.

I know in our club we are losing a lot of juniors to soccer, AFL, or just can't be bothered. Do people think this new system will encourage people to keep playing with their current club, or turn people away into the pub leagues or similar?

I was interested to see Erdlejack in the paper saying that CAW were thinking of introducing a system preventing players from changing clubs to avoid playing either provincial or district, after their clubs are promoted/ relegated.

I know in our club we are losing a lot of juniors to soccer, AFL, or just can't be bothered. Do people think this new system will encourage people to keep playing with their current club, or turn people away into the pub leagues or similar?

In my opinion its an absolute pissa of an idea.....it would hold those responsible for the clubs promotion/relegation to stay at that club and be accountable. There is way too much sideways movements by players when clubs are relegated but surprisingly also when they are promoted and this effects how the club performs the following year.....all you have to do to back this up is review the past 5 years histories, it paints a pretty clear picture.
All the players who play are responsible for how the club performs on and off the field so why not hold them accountable and make them commit to the club they are at, if you don't want to be promoted pull back on your performances, if you don't want to be relegated have a crack....its not rocket science.

Interesting battle for relegation now with New City being awarded the win they already had.....bloody disgraceful this sort of stuff. However it will probably all be for naught with Albury to play Dederang last round and in my opinion acheive a comfortable victory to keep them in the top comp.

So now we will have 8 clubs in provincial and 2 of these clubs with 1 junior side or less.......in my opinion this is the bigger issue, how can the league allow clubs that put no effort into future crickters to take part in their "top competition"? The board need to get fair dinkum and place some emphasis on clubs having junior teams.....what would happen if every club decided the effort with juniors is all too hard and we'll just recruit each year? I;ll tell you what.....we wouldn't have a competition!

In my opinion if a club wants to compete in provincial they must have a minimum of one junior side per age group or at the least have 4 junior sides.....otherwise they just aren't doing their part for the future of the game in this area so why allow them to be a part of the pinnacle competition?

I am not to sure how this can be enforced, not to mention it is totally unfair on those that have legitimate reasons for wanting to stay in one particular competition.....although I do understand the reasoning behind the suggestion.

The problem is that not everyone that plays in the Prov comp wants to drive all around the country side if their side gets dropped to District, and vise versa for the District guys. People have lives outside of cricket and to have to drive between 30-60mins is not that appealing to everyone. Also, I am sure that some guys want to just play in the Prov comp and some just want to play in the District comp, most players are paying their own way through rego fees and ball fees, so good luck forcing them to stay with a club they don't want to play with.

I recon if that rule is enforced, a lot of players from the teams going up and down will tell CAW to jam it and walk away from the game....making the comp even weaker. It should be up to the clubs to make players want to stay at that club and play regardless of what comp it is.....someone suggested to get rid of Prov and Disrtict and change to Divisions....that would be a better start because at least the 'us and them' mindset may change.

I am not to sure how this can be enforced, not to mention it is totally unfair on those that have legitimate reasons for wanting to stay in one particular competition.....although I do understand the reasoning behind the suggestion.

The problem is that not everyone that plays in the Prov comp wants to drive all around the country side if their side gets dropped to District, and vise versa for the District guys. People have lives outside of cricket and to have to drive between 30-60mins is not that appealing to everyone. Also, I am sure that some guys want to just play in the Prov comp and some just want to play in the District comp, most players are paying their own way through rego fees and ball fees, so good luck forcing them to stay with a club they don't want to play with.

I recon if that rule is enforced, a lot of players from the teams going up and down will tell CAW to jam it and walk away from the game....making the comp even weaker. It should be up to the clubs to make players want to stay at that club and play regardless of what comp it is.....someone suggested to get rid of Prov and Disrtict and change to Divisions....that would be a better start because at least the 'us and them' mindset may change.

Interesting perspective GHG.
If you want the club you are playing at to stay in prov or district you had better perform accordingly! end of story....and don't forget that every second game is a home game but i do agree that the travel issue is worth noting and something CAW should consider closely when the debate the competitions structure.

Perhaps we just go to CAW City and CAW Country and not have a promotion and relegation system?
OR Perhaps we go to a full one day comp where every club plays each other once....19 clubs = 18 rounds.;)

Interesting perspective GHG.
If you want the club you are playing at to stay in prov or district you had better perform accordingly! end of story....and don't forget that every second game is a home game but i do agree that the travel issue is worth noting and something CAW should consider closely when the debate the competitions structure.

Perhaps we just go to CAW City and CAW Country and not have a promotion and relegation system?
OR Perhaps we go to a full one day comp where every club plays each other once....19 clubs = 18 rounds.;)

The problem is Ritchie is that there is no solution that will make everyone happy.....not even sure if teams in District A's are fighting to get into Prov to have a crack, or simply going through the motions of 'well its only for 12 months and then we will be back'. It's certainly no fun going from one comp where you are competitive, to another where you become the whiping boys for most of the season.....the Raiders will probably have the best chance of being a force back in Prov, simply because they have the ability to attract the better players from the 'city' teams because of closness of the Albury/Wodonga area.....that will always be a struggle for the more remote District sides.

The problem is Ritchie is that there is no solution that will make everyone happy.....not even sure if teams in District A's are fighting to get into Prov to have a crack, or simply going through the motions of 'well its only for 12 months and then we will be back'. It's certainly no fun going from one comp where you are competitive, to another where you become the whiping boys for most of the season.....the Raiders will probably have the best chance of being a force back in Prov, simply because they have the ability to attract the better players from the 'city' teams because of closness of the Albury/Wodonga area.....that will always be a struggle for the more remote District sides.

Hi Guys,

New to this. Dont think the league have much chance of pulling this one off. Too many circumstances with player movement due to new coaches/the board/ work commitements and simply just moving house (eg from out of town to Alb/Wod). But understand where they are coming from. Cricket has a much higher level of player retention than say football due to the $$ factor so generally players do have some loyalty

Interesting thoughts about the juniors Ritchie.. I like it... The only thing I would add to that would be a one team limit per age group until each of the eight clubs has one team in that age group. As someone who has done a few years of milo coaching, all I can say is it that it takes time to develop kids from that age group upto under 17s.

No matter what direction you take, you're never going to make everyone happy, that's just life. The challenge the board face is that they have to think about the on-going sustainability of the competition at large. It stands out like dogs jimmity crackers that the competition in the current format will not, and does not work. A Divisional comp is a great suggestion to bring the game forward in my view, also if we are saying that District Clubs do not want to play provincial and vice versa, would it not be a better system to place a nomination process in place asking the clubs what comp they wish to play? And, if you are going to play in the top comp you do have to meet the requirements of a full club in both SNR's and JNR's as this is more than likely where Ritchie was leading with these clubs without JNR's poaching the fruit of a hard working Club. With the rule propossal of players having to stay at a club for 12 months after promotion or relegation takes place, in the situation of a player moving into town etc, a means test system would have to be in place so that a player is not disadvantaged due to their personnal situation so the clearance of the player to a new club in that predicament would have to be seen as the only fair and just outcome.
Raiders are in no better position then what the New City Club were in to attract players simply because they are in town, I don't think that has any bearing, but I do agree that the country teams moving into the top comp will struggle to attract players unless they import...

No matter what direction you take, you're never going to make everyone happy, that's just life. The challenge the board face is that they have to think about the on-going sustainability of the competition at large. It stands out like dogs jimmity crackers that the competition in the current format will not, and does not work. A Divisional comp is a great suggestion to bring the game forward in my view, also if we are saying that District Clubs do not want to play provincial and vice versa, would it not be a better system to place a nomination process in place asking the clubs what comp they wish to play? And, if you are going to play in the top comp you do have to meet the requirements of a full club in both SNR's and JNR's as this is more than likely where Ritchie was leading with these clubs without JNR's poaching the fruit of a hard working Club. With the rule propossal of players having to stay at a club for 12 months after promotion or relegation takes place, in the situation of a player moving into town etc, a means test system would have to be in place so that a player is not disadvantaged due to their personnal situation so the clearance of the player to a new club in that predicament would have to be seen as the only fair and just outcome.
Raiders are in no better position then what the New City Club were in to attract players simply because they are in town, I don't think that has any bearing, but I do agree that the country teams moving into the top comp will struggle to attract players unless they import...

Yes absolutely LTG.
Its pretty easy to widen the parameters of a rule once it has been put into place.
If a player wants to leave a relegated or promoted club because his personal position has changed (new job, moves house, changes religion whatever) then these things would need to be considered by the board in the instance where the clearance is not agreed by that players club.
I would think clearances would still be allowed if both parties agree to it (current club and player) but special conditions and sound reasoning behind the clearance would all be considerate of what is in place.
For me its more about placing some value on holding personnel responsible for their clubs performances by introducing a rule which makes it difficult to "jump ship".

I'm sorry but it really does seem to me like we need a "City" and a "Country" competition with no promotion or relegation between both comps.....perhaps make the two day pennant stuff the separated comps.
Maybe we could then have a one day competition where the draw is drawn out of a hat and both competitions are brought together to compete....similar to the way they did the T/20.
T/20 stuff can remain as the charity bash....or just get rid of it all together.

Anyway i will never really influence this.

Speaking of juniors what the hell is going on with the Lavy cricket club, they once had the strongest junior base in the league, they now only have 1 team.....shame on the people who run this club!
I did a quick review on my cricket and also noted that New City has the most junior teams in the competition, absolutely shocked to find this out i would have thought East Alb, St Pats or wodonga would have topped this list.....well done to the guys at New City i have heard there junior structure is great and judging by the number of teams they have i would have to agree, there must be something they are doing right to have parents want to get their kids involved in the game.........now begs to reason, why would the competition let a club as proactive about junior development as this be relegated?....and i believe they will be which is disappointing for them i guess.

Based on the above I can certainly understand the reasoning behind the argument to "weight" who is in and who is out.

Interesting times ahead if the board decides to do anything about it!

Yes absolutely LTG.
Its pretty easy to widen the parameters of a rule once it has been put into place.
If a player wants to leave a relegated or promoted club because his personal position has changed (new job, moves house, changes religion whatever) then these things would need to be considered by the board in the instance where the clearance is not agreed by that players club.
I would think clearances would still be allowed if both parties agree to it (current club and player) but special conditions and sound reasoning behind the clearance would all be considerate of what is in place.
For me its more about placing some value on holding personnel responsible for their clubs performances by introducing a rule which makes it difficult to "jump ship".

I'm sorry but it really does seem to me like we need a "City" and a "Country" competition with no promotion or relegation between both comps.....perhaps make the two day pennant stuff the separated comps.
Maybe we could then have a one day competition where the draw is drawn out of a hat and both competitions are brought together to compete....similar to the way they did the T/20.
T/20 stuff can remain as the charity bash....or just get rid of it all together.

Anyway i will never really influence this.

Speaking of juniors what the hell is going on with the Lavy cricket club, they once had the strongest junior base in the league, they now only have 1 team.....shame on the people who run this club!
I did a quick review on my cricket and also noted that New City has the most junior teams in the competition, absolutely shocked to find this out i would have thought East Alb, St Pats or wodonga would have topped this list.....well done to the guys at New City i have heard there junior structure is great and judging by the number of teams they have i would have to agree, there must be something they are doing right to have parents want to get their kids involved in the game.........now begs to reason, why would the competition let a club as proactive about junior development as this be relegated?....and i believe they will be which is disappointing for them i guess.

Based on the above I can certainly understand the reasoning behind the argument to "weight" who is in and who is out.

Interesting times ahead if the board decides to do anything about it!

Problem is Ritchie, I don't think that the CAW Board get it as they are not the one's looking at the competition from the inside out, unfortunately they are seeing it from the outside in. If something like this goes to a vote from all Clubs, they need to ensure that every CAW player is privy to the content of the vote and get to see what is on offer and have input. Seems that these things get voted on by the Club heads or spokespersons and the body of the Club is unaware of the decision being made and then people within the club carry on to all and sundry about the decisions of the board when their Club had a vote and went the other way.
Anyway as you said, it's hard to influence that one apart from joining the board I guess?

Speaking of New City's JNR's, I was at the cricket with my young fella about a month ago and we were playing New City, I got talking to Brandon's Dad, Peter, and he said that he is their JNR Club Coach. He was telling me that New City has in place a strict rule that all JNR Coaches will have at a minimum a Level 1 accreditation and they have 2 level 2 coaches and they are rolling others through the level 2 course to strengthen their coaching stocks further, that to me is why they seem to be dominating the JNR numbers in the entire comp. He was telling me that they are waiting for their natural progression to kick into place so that all their JNRs start to filter through to SNR ranks....sounded all right to me but my boy wants to continue playing with his mates, such a shame I said. Actually would be sad to see them go back to the district mix at a SNR level when the likes of an Albury and Lavy have next to no JNR's at all...how will those Clubs survive the next 5 years, poaching City's JNR's by the sounds of it :oops:

Problem is Ritchie, I don't think that the CAW Board get it as they are not the one's looking at the competition from the inside out, unfortunately they are seeing it from the outside in. If something like this goes to a vote from all Clubs, they need to ensure that every CAW player is privy to the content of the vote and get to see what is on offer and have input. Seems that these things get voted on by the Club heads or spokespersons and the body of the Club is unaware of the decision being made and then people within the club carry on to all and sundry about the decisions of the board when their Club had a vote and went the other way.
Anyway as you said, it's hard to influence that one apart from joining the board I guess?

Speaking of New City's JNR's, I was at the cricket with my young fella about a month ago and we were playing New City, I got talking to Brandon's Dad, Peter, and he said that he is their JNR Club Coach. He was telling me that New City has in place a strict rule that all JNR Coaches will have at a minimum a Level 1 accreditation and they have 2 level 2 coaches and they are rolling others through the level 2 course to strengthen their coaching stocks further, that to me is why they seem to be dominating the JNR numbers in the entire comp. He was telling me that they are waiting for their natural progression to kick into place so that all their JNRs start to filter through to SNR ranks....sounded all right to me but my boy wants to continue playing with his mates, such a shame I said. Actually would be sad to see them go back to the district mix at a SNR level when the likes of an Albury and Lavy have next to no JNR's at all...how will those Clubs survive the next 5 years, poaching City's JNR's by the sounds of it :oops:

I have no knowledge about this at all so I could be way off base here but it seems like a pretty big coincidence that the decline in Lavi's junior teams has happened at the exact same time as New City's increase. With the two clubs being so close together maybe there just aren't enough kids playing cricket in that area?

I'd be interested to see how many New City kids came from Lavi in the first place?

I have no knowledge about this at all so I could be way off base here but it seems like a pretty big coincidence that the decline in Lavi's junior teams has happened at the exact same time as New City's increase. With the two clubs being so close together maybe there just aren't enough kids playing cricket in that area?

I'd be interested to see how many New City kids came from Lavi in the first place?

Fair point Sir Don, would be very interesting to see the numbers behind it. What happened to the Lavington JNR's? They were a powerhouse when I was a young player, the likes of Maunder, Chalmers, Rob and Steve Wright to name a few would terrorise the comp and they won something like 5 premierships on the trot through a massive era for the Club, to say that the foundations set for the Club have taken a backwards step is an understatement. Would be good to hear a Lavi point of view on the matter.
It would be hard with two teams drawing from the same pool, which kinda of backs up what was mentioned earlier today about Raiders being able to build their prospects just becasue they are in town, they share the area with the Robbie Bulldogs and Belvoir.
Tball making some runs couldn't have come at a better time for him as the heat was definetely on with a couple of 2nd graders wondering when they would get a guernsey in the top grade.

3 under 13 teams and two under 15 sides at New City shows they are doing a fantastic job at promoting cricket, and East Albury arent too far of the mark from that. I go back to my point earlier, the other clubs need to share the load, but it is hard to share the load when the pool is empty due to a club fielding 3 teams in an age group. I had a chat to the jnr co-ordinator from Albury earlier in the season when we played them. He mentioned they tried hard to fill an U13 team, they were a couple of kids short and other clubs didn't have spare numbers to send his way. He said the approach was to now build up from Milo and that will take time for that age group to field teams in each age group. Driving past on Saturday mornings, they had good numbers at Milo. For a club that self imploded a few years back, I have to say that they are heading in the right direction.

Fair point Sir Don, would be very interesting to see the numbers behind it. What happened to the Lavington JNR's? They were a powerhouse when I was a young player, the likes of Maunder, Chalmers, Rob and Steve Wright to name a few would terrorise the comp and they won something like 5 premierships on the trot through a massive era for the Club, to say that the foundations set for the Club have taken a backwards step is an understatement. Would be good to hear a Lavi point of view on the matter.
It would be hard with two teams drawing from the same pool, which kinda of backs up what was mentioned earlier today about Raiders being able to build their prospects just becasue they are in town, they share the area with the Robbie Bulldogs and Belvoir.
Tball making some runs couldn't have come at a better time for him as the heat was definetely on with a couple of 2nd graders wondering when they would get a guernsey in the top grade.
While I am only a humble 3rd Grade player at Lavy and not on the committee, so what I say doesn't carry much clout. I believe the view at Lavy is that New City have put a lot of work into getting there JNRs up and going and well done to them on their work. Lavy realise that they have a problem with JNRs are looking to get their JNRs through Milo Cricket at the club rather than poaching from other clubs.

My thoughts go out to all the curators at the moment. Good luck getting a pitch up for the next round.

not to mention the 20/20 Semi Finals and Finals this Sunday.....pretty sure with the draw the way it is, this Sunday was the only one free until after the GF weekend, and then the footy takes over the grounds. Good luck sorting that one out if it is in fact washed out.

not to mention the 20/20 Semi Finals and Finals this Sunday.....pretty sure with the draw the way it is, this Sunday was the only one free until after the GF weekend, and then the footy takes over the grounds. Good luck sorting that one out if it is in fact washed out.
I agree with both of you (TRS and GHG) I think unfortunately it is going to be an uphill battle for the curators to get the grounds ready for the weekend.

Back