Shaun Marsh - WA - 27
Tim Paine - TAS - 26
James Pattinson - VIC - 21
Ricky Ponting - TAS - 36
Peter Siddle - VIC - 26
Steven Smith - NSW - 22
Shane Watson - NSW - 29
Cameron White - VIC - 27

Out - James Hopes, Andrew McDonald, Simon Katich, Clint McKay, Marcus North, Shaun Tait and Adam Voges.

In - Patrick Cummins, Xavier Doherty, John Hastings, David Hussey, Usman Khawaja, Jason Krejza and James Pattinson.

3 spinners? Not sure what the dud Krezja has done to deserve a contract, also Dave Hussey has hardly set world alight with his international performances and it's interesting that lee got his renewed at this stage of his career.

Thought Dave Warner might have got a look, Clint McKay a bit unlucky?

The selectors are stupid to leave out Katich; he has been one of their three most constant batsmen in Test Matches for Australia behind Watson and Mike Hussey (debatable). It's too early to tell if Usman Khawaja can fill the oppening role in the squad. I don't understand why Krejza has been given a contract.

I am glad Brett Lee has been given a contract, he has worked his butt off to get back into the side and he won't let them down if injuries stay away.

Those are my thoughts

I can understand them dropping Katich, apart from him being one of our best bats in the past two years, there is no point in having players in the line-up who understand that you can leave the ball in test cricket.

All out attack is a far better strategy.

It's a worry about Cummins, I was hoping he'd not be turned into the next big thing too soon and I wanted him kept away from the Aus coaches.

With an average age of 27 i don't quite call it a youth policy but it is interesting to consider some of the players they retained that could have made way for some younger players. There will certainly need to be an improvement in many this year if we are to be competitive at the next ashs

Harsh on Katich but I guess getting injured long-term at 35 is always going to put you in danger. The remainder of the outs don't surprise me all that much, McDonald is absolute rubbish, with McKay and North not that great either. Tait was either too inconsistent or injury prone and Hopes has been overtaken by other all-round players. Voges surprised me a little, I thought he was doing okay when given a chance but obviously that wasn't enough.

The inclusions are a step towards the future although there are still some older players on there to give the sides experience. A bit better but there are still some players who probably shouldn't be there.

How is it that Simon Katich gets axed yet Ricky Ponting and Michael Hussey still have contracts when they are both 36 years old? how long does Australia cricket expect them to keep playing? It's a shame to see Simon Katich no longer have a contract with Austrlia Cricket, he has served the Test side very well over the years.

I guess this means they can bring in Phil Huges as the new opener to replace Katich. By the way does anyone know how how Phil Huges has been travelling lately in terms of scoring runs? Did he play for Australia against Bangladesh?

I'm not sure why they don't let Hussey go as well and bring in another young player. As for Ponting i guess Australia Cricket are willing to let him leave on his own terms.

By the way, i know this is a bit off topic but is anyone else besides me still hurting from out lost Ashes series last summer? It ahs to go doen as some of the worst cricket ever displayed by Australia not just on the way they played but theyre lack of sportsmanship as well. I have honestly not seen a poorer test series display by Australia than what theys served up last summer, it was utterly disgraceful.

Hopefully this summer, Australia can play with a lot of more conviction and lift thier game in the sportsmanship side of things. I think they play India, which will be a tough series, and it will show whether Clarke is a good Capatain or not.

How is it that Simon Katich gets axed yet Ricky Ponting and Michael Hussey still have contracts when they are both 36 years old?

By the way, i know this is a bit off topic but is anyone else besides me still hurting from out lost Ashes series last summer? It ahs to go doen as some of the worst cricket ever displayed by Australia not just on the way they played but theyre lack of sportsmanship as well. I have honestly not seen a poorer test series display by Australia than what theys served up last summer, it was utterly disgraceful.

Hopefully this summer, Australia can play with a lot of more conviction and lift thier game in the sportsmanship side of things. I think they play India, which will be a tough series, and it will show whether Clarke is a good Capatain or not.

I still wince whenever I think of the Melbourne test. I think that counts as hurting.

Hughes didnt' go to Bangladesh, he has never played one dayers for Aus.

I think they've decided it's time for him to sit in the opening spot till either he or us squeaks. Katich got the axe as the selectors just don't have the balls to tackle the middle order which has been a problem for the last couple of years when the openers have been doing a reasonable job. Basically, the selectors are taking the easy option as they are frightened of Punter.

How is it that Simon Katich gets axed yet Ricky Ponting and Michael Hussey still have contracts when they are both 36 years old? how long does Australia cricket expect them to keep playing? It's a shame to see Simon Katich no longer have a contract with Austrlia Cricket, he has served the Test side very well over the years.

I guess this means they can bring in Phil Huges as the new opener to replace Katich. By the way does anyone know how how Phil Huges has been travelling lately in terms of scoring runs? Did he play for Australia against Bangladesh?

I'm not sure why they don't let Hussey go as well and bring in another young player. As for Ponting i guess Australia Cricket are willing to let him leave on his own terms.

I have given myself a day to consider the situation with Simon Katich and i have come to the conclusion that his omission must be based in concerns over fitness otherwise you could not possibly have dropped the best batsman we have unless it is personal. The situation a couple of years ago when Katich called Clarke on his commitment to the team over his flashy promo lifestyle shows a divid in the team around the generational change. The new crew of Clarke, Watson, Smith and co all seem far to concerned about their image and hair than the true grit needed to be an Australian Test Cricketer. This is the sort of issue i have always had with Clarke, no question he has the talent and ability just whether he has the discipline and backbone to carry it through.

Yes the Ashs defeat still smarts very sharply and only victory next time will do, but this summer will tell the tale of where we are.

The Aussies were pretty poor in the 80's, but in terms of the last couple of decades I'd probably go along with this. I don't think CA see it at all this way though. They are behaving as though nothing is particularly problematic apart from needing a new opening team.

In his latest interview, Ricky Ponting has said that he doesn't expect much to change for the tour to Sri Lanka, apart from Simon Katich's 'bad news' of course. So it will probably be the same starting line-up from the Sydney test minus Khawaja and Beer and including Punter and possibly Krejza. There is always the chance that Punter is wrong, we can only hope.

Just watched Katich's press conference on Foxsports news, pretty fired up, great stuff.

Said pretty much what we've all been thinking about the selectors.

Michael Beer has dropped off the face of the earth too. When he was picked 6 months ago, Hilditch said: "He's a talented left-arm orthodox spinner and hopefully someone who can play a big role in our future."

Not that I think he should definitely be there, just shows the erratic selection over the past 2 years.

At the end of the day, Australia should be picking the best first 11 possible regardless of age. Granted, you can't have a team of 35 year old's and over out there but not selecting your best Test batsmen at the moment because of injury concerns is bullshit. Everyone gets injured, even the younger ones. So just use them when their not injured, if Katich did get injured during a tour then you put in the young talent to replace him.

Injuries are unpredictable most of the time, so what if Katich is injury free for the rest of season? It could happen, the selectors would look even worse than they already do now

He's right, it's idiotic really. The one thing that has been going well for the side - the opening pair - yeah lets just break that up and ignore the middle order. Christ, it's not like anyone is banging the door down to replace him..

If someone older had to get the chop Ponting should've been ahead of him, he's been crap for what? A couple of years? But yeah I guess it's just easier to get rid of Katich even though he's younger and has actually been making some runs..

Also Hussey should be considering retirement in the nearish future and focus on the shorter forms imo.

At the end of the day, Australia should be picking the best first 11 possible regardless of age. Granted, you can't have a team of 35 year old's and over out there but not selecting your best Test batsmen at the moment because of injury concerns is bullshit. Everyone gets injured, even the younger ones. So just use them when their not injured, if Katich did get injured during a tour then you put in the young talent to replace him.

Injuries are unpredictable most of the time, so what if Katich is injury free for the rest of season? It could happen, the selectors would look even worse than they already do now

Age has a little bit to do with team selection, you wouldn't pick a 37-year old who has a batting average two runs higher than another guy who is only 24. I agree with what has been said in this thread though, Katich was most certainly dudded and I don't really blame him for coming out this morning and pretty much blasting them for the decision. He was a made a scapegoat for an issue that exists in the middle order but no-one had the balls to make the tough calls on Ponting and perhaps even Mike Hussey. Funnily enough Katich is the world's second best test run-scorer over the past three years, only Alistair Cook has more runs. That fact makes this decision even more stupid.

It's quite clear though that Hilditch and the other cronies running the show need to go because they are fast becoming the laughing stock of the cricketing world. It's a joke that someone who is our country's leading runscorer for the last three years gets dropped in favour of those who have shown only some potential.

Age has a little bit to do with team selection, you wouldn't pick a 37-year old who has a batting average two runs higher than another guy who is only 24. I agree with what has been said in this thread though, Katich was most certainly dudded and I don't really blame him for coming out this morning and pretty much blasting them for the decision. He was a made a scapegoat for an issue that exists in the middle order but no-one had the balls to make the tough calls on Ponting and perhaps even Mike Hussey. Funnily enough Katich is the world's second best test run-scorer over the past three years, only Alistair Cook has more runs. That fact makes this decision even more stupid.

It's quite clear though that Hilditch and the other cronies running the show need to go because they are fast becoming the laughing stock of the cricketing world. It's a joke that someone who is our country's leading runscorer for the last three years gets dropped in favour of those who have shown only some potential.

This in spades. They just are too frightened to tap Punter and Hussey on the shoulder. Kat's serve to CA was well-founded and well said. He must have been thinking all of this for ages as it didn't come across as a spontaneous resentful outburst, just thought out honesty. He and Stuart Clark must have had some thorough discussions about all of it.

What I find interesting is how one person, Simon Katich, has been made scapegoat for the team's failures for the past couple of years. They can cover it up with that nonsense about the Ashes in 2013, but that is what has happened. The selectors have chosen their man and now can sit back feeling secure that this one person is carrying the can. Katich isn't even vice-captain.

Punter has come out of all of these losses as skipper - and with a mediocre record for the past few years - still intact in the team and he's still even going to be batting at 3. Clarke has come out in the press and pretty much confirmed it. Him not being skipper anymore appears to be such a monumental sacrifice on his behalf that nothing more is going to be asked of him. Anybody else find that weird?

The arguement should be that if Katich loses a contact, the other oldies should. but i agree with a point raised earlier - pick your best XI regardless of age. Katich is still there. Ponting isnt, Hussey is debatable though...

Hey joshie91,
You are absolutely right. Ponting, Hussey still in contract, but no katich. But all of them are 36 years old. Whats this?

This in spades. They just are too frightened to tap Punter and Hussey on the shoulder. Kat's serve to CA was well-founded and well said. He must have been thinking all of this for ages as it didn't come across as a spontaneous resentful outburst, just thought out honesty. He and Stuart Clark must have had some thorough discussions about all of it.

They are too scared to do anything at all. All they've done is cut a few players who should have been gone a year a more ago and made one guy accountable for everything that has happened even though he has been one of few who have carried the side.

It's baffling how Krejza and Cummins have contracts yet Katich doesn't. Even Ponting probably should have one considering the form he has been in for quite a while now.

What I find interesting is how one person, Simon Katich, has been made scapegoat for the team's failures for the past couple of years. They can cover it up with that nonsense about the Ashes in 2013, but that is what has happened. The selectors have chosen their man and now can sit back feeling secure that this one person is carrying the can. Katich isn't even vice-captain.

Punter has come out of all of these losses as skipper - and with a mediocre record for the past few years - still intact in the team and he's still even going to be batting at 3. Clarke has come out in the press and pretty much confirmed it. Him not being skipper anymore appears to be such a monumental sacrifice on his behalf that nothing more is going to be asked of him. Anybody else find that weird?

Ponting has credits in the bank, that's the only reason he's there. He has the best captaincy record ever (wins-losses wise) and did an outstanding job after initially taking over from Steve Waugh. If he was not captain of the side at any time he wouldn't be on the contract list.

At the very least he should be batting at five or six but that won't happen. CA have made their point, he's basically untouchable until he wants to go out on his own terms.

Back