Cricket Victoria - South East Bayside League

yeah it’s 100% 14 one day games but the league were/are toying with the idea of Playing 7 games colours and white balls
7 games whites and red balls
Not sure if they are still thinking this...
Potentially that might happen due to a lack of white balls from the suppliers.
Start date all depends on whether Melbourne reaches the unrealistic Andrews target on Oct 26 of less than 5 cases for a 14 day average. If we somehow reach that despite the ongoing Aged care clusters, then they are saying there would be 3 weeks of training and a mid Nov start of games for metro park cricket.
Junior cricket might start even sooner.

i thought I saw somewhere that the Subbies were planning on a Nov 28 start, which does seem more realistic to me.
Premier cricket apparently have an agreement with the players that they would get a 5 week pre season before games, so they are late November, if the restrictions are relaxed around Oct 26
VMCU is advising local cricket comps that they should aim for around a mid Nov return if we go back to stage 2 around Oct 26. It will be up to each local comp though to decide what they want to do

Might be lucky to start before Christmas now, the way things are looking. It will be very difficult to get two rounds in. It's not at all impossible that the cricket season will go the way of junior footy - a non-event.

Might be lucky to start before Christmas now, the way things are looking. It will be very difficult to get two rounds in. It's not at all impossible that the cricket season will go the way of junior footy - a non-event.
if they stick to the less than 5 14 day average you will be spot on

Today though Chairman Dan seemed to be wavering on that and I wouldn't be surprised if they allow golf, tennis and cricket training to commence again in the next 7-14 days

if they stick to the less than 5 14 day average you will be spot on

Today though Chairman Dan seemed to be wavering on that and I wouldn't be surprised if they allow golf, tennis and cricket training to commence again in the next 7-14 days
That would be good news for the clubs. Although I must admit a little reluctance to sitting for 5 hours at the scorers table with a mask on...

The fixtures are interesting. 14 one day games as expected, best of three GF for Championship Division (only) which has been rumoured, but the addition of a preliminary final is a bolt out of the blue to me. I wonder whether this is a one-off for 2020/21, or will be an ongoing fixture. I do know of other comps which have 1v2 and 3v4 semis, then a prelim, and a GF, in two-day cricket.

The game I was at seemed to go pretty well. Balls sanitized every ten overs, and whenever a helpful spectator threw one back from over the boundary. Bowlers caps generally placed behind their bowling mark - no batsman managed to hit one for the bonus five runs. Teams sat in separate areas, with the scoreboard located between them so that the batting side could get to the board without going anywhere near the other side's gear. Can't comment on the players tea - I brought my own (as required) and sat with the other scorer away from the players. As expected it was a late finish, but they always are in one day games. The sanitizing requirements added some time, but I suspect it would have been 30 minutes later even without that. I hope the CSB don't go overboard with the times, and decide to switch to 5 overs from each end.

Just to clarify, if the ball hits the bowlers hat at the top of the run up - its not 5 runs, its a dead ball. (its different from the helmet behind the keeper)

For my game, lets just say that some clubs may have been better placed than others
Our oppo didnt bring any tea or drink for themselves and were a little surprised that they had to sign in.
Also werent too keen on the helmets being compulsory either!!

But great to get out on the park

Hmm. I'm looking at the 2017 code with the 2019 amendments. Law 28.2 covers "fielding the ball" and states there is a penalty for deliberately fielding the ball with something which is not part of his person, and then 28.2.2 says "It is not illegal fielding if the ball in play makes contact with a piece of clothing, equipment or any other object which has accidentally fallen from the fielder’s person.". There is no mention in the laws of cricket of the ball hitting a bowlers cap placed at the top of his run up at all. It wouldn't be exempt under 28.2.2 as it has not fallen off accidentally, indeed it has very deliberately been placed there. It is perhaps a "grey area" but Tom Smith's (the other Tom Smith :) ) "Cricket Umpiring and Scoring" makes no reference to caps placed behind the bowlers run up either. Is this a local Covid-19 modification of the laws?

Hmm. I'm looking at the 2017 code with the 2019 amendments. Law 28.2 covers "fielding the ball" and states there is a penalty for deliberately fielding the ball with something which is not part of his person, and then 28.2.2 says "It is not illegal fielding if the ball in play makes contact with a piece of clothing, equipment or any other object which has accidentally fallen from the fielder’s person.". There is no mention in the laws of cricket of the ball hitting a bowlers cap placed at the top of his run up at all. It wouldn't be exempt under 28.2.2 as it has not fallen off accidentally, indeed it has very deliberately been placed there. It is perhaps a "grey area" but Tom Smith's (the other Tom Smith :) ) "Cricket Umpiring and Scoring" makes no reference to caps placed behind the bowlers run up either. Is this a local Covid-19 modification of the laws?
both your interpretation of the law, and of the playing condition are correct. CV's recommendation said to put it there basically to save time
I'll see if I can find it later

Although I'm sure there would be arguments in the lower grades over it - we had one game in our grade playing a 40 over game in a 35 over grade

Fair enough - If that is a CV recommendation I would count that as a local modification. I see a game in Div 5 played with 40 overs instead of 35. That's pretty crappy. You do hear of some funny things going on in the lower grades...

Fair enough - If that is a CV recommendation I would count that as a local modification. I see a game in Div 5 played with 40 overs instead of 35. That's pretty crappy. You do hear of some funny things going on in the lower grades...
Thats the one
Our oppo tried to say ours was 40 overs as well - hopefully by round14 we get it right

It's not hard to show them the CSB rules. Even if you don't have the printed book the rules are online. Finding them with the mish-mash of two different websites might be a challenge though - I download them and save them on my phone just in case.

I was mowing the lawn today, and began thinking.... This is the 5th CSB season, so there have been 4 newly promoted (or inserted in the case of Mordialloc) teams. It's quite remarkable but all 4 of these teams have won their first match - and often against strong opposition.

17/18 - Carnegie defeated Bonbeach, runner-up the previous season
18/19 - Parkdale defeated Bentleigh, defending premiers
19/20 - Mordialloc defeated Bentleigh
20/21 - Murrumbeena defeated Hampton, defending premiers.

Definitely tightened the competition up now. Any team is capable of beating any other. Quite interesting watching local club cricket without 3 imports in each team. And Div 1 had two tied matches in the first round!

I agree. And without the 3 imports the local players (the depth of the club) become much more important. Will be a most interesting season based on rounds 1 and 2. Early days yet, of course...

Back