Darwin & District Cricket - 2011

bah, who cares about a green top? the wicket out there has been shit for cricket for as long as i can recall. the curator there has it easier than ramsay (someone said he has been given the job for another five years) and puts about as much effort in as the nt cricket media advisor, incase your wondering how much that is, none.jeremy smith was reported last week for wicket damage after hoeing his bat into the wicket, guess how many weeks he got? none. i'm guessing that is the same amount of weeks that a pint and palmerston player will get for the tea incident that occurred on saturday. can't have these standout players from across australia have their reputations ruined by something that happened in little old darwin. reminds me of the richardson kid who got cautioned because he is the (ex)poster boy nt cricket.

as for the cricket the last couple of weekends, i'm betting darwin don't go any further than their result last weekend, especially with the bloke they've got at the helm. my tip, mid-season revolt ala waratahs of a few years back. good to see whoever writes this shit has written off the mighty tigers, obviously knows their shit... ah well at least the chirp at village has dropped off, not the world beaters anymore, sucks being back in the pack don't it.

So much anger...life can be dark sometimes.

Meanwhile, keep on posting these great updates Chips, its been sensational to read about the comp, despite being so far away

Very good cricketer, doing well, had the one big knock (154 not out against PINT) but has looked pretty good every time he has gone out to bat. Handy change up with the ball.

He's a very good cricketer, good to see him doing well. Has played a few games for WA (one-dayers) but struggled and has been a little down since then. Hopefully the stint in the NT will do him some good.

So much anger...life can be dark sometimes.

Meanwhile, keep on posting these great updates Chips, its been sensational to read about the comp, despite being so far away

Cheers mate, can't do much about the cynics.

He's a very good cricketer, good to see him doing well. Has played a few games for WA (one-dayers) but struggled and has been a little down since then. Hopefully the stint in the NT will do him some good.

Yeah hope so, he is a fair talent.

On another note, it appears that there will be no Feast of Cricket in the Top End this season. Disappointingly so, SA may still do a camp up here in late July.

Round 9 - Saturday 18th & 25th June
Darwin 205 defeated by Waratah 327 & none for 245 at Gardens Oval
PINT 82 & 82 defeated by Palmerston 123 & 148 at Marrara
Tracy Village 306 defeated Nightcliff 303 & 2 for 62 at Tracy Village Oval
Southern Districts - Bye

Darwin was punished by Waratah, Ricky Lane taking 5 for and then Wells and Ovens making tons in the second dig. PINT were routed for the second week in a row, set 190 to win, Matt Hanna took 6 for (11 for the match) to complete the outright and have Palmerston well ahead of the pack. Tracy Village almost coughed it up against Nightcliff, they lost 5 for 25 before the 10th wicket put on 27 to get them home. Devoy taking his second 5 for in as many games.

Ladder - Points
1. Palmerston - 48
2. Waratah - 36
3. Tracy Village - 35
4. Nightcliff - 25
5. Darwin - 25
6. PINT - 23
7. Southern District - 14

Round 10 - Saturday 2nd & 9th July
PINT vs Tracy Village at Marrara
Palmerston vs Darwin at Woodroffe Oval
Nightcliff vs Southern Districts at Nightcliff Oval
Waratah - Bye

PINT maybe in some serious trouble with Cullen Bailey out with a broken finger, Phil Adams had a viral infection that may mean he misses out this week, leaving their batting in a trouble. Tracy Village should win this but matches between the two have generally been very close. Palmerston should account for Darwin but their batting is fragile, so it could go either way. Darwin need a win to stay in the four. Southern District can get back into the action by beating Nightcliff and make it a four way fight for fourth spot. While Tahs have the by Reid will be returning home for a shoulder scan which could rule him out for the rest of the season.

i'm guessing that is the same amount of weeks that a pint and palmerston player will get for the tea incident that occurred on saturday.
What incident at Tea? was this the B-Grade game? If so an incident happened at change of innings after tea, nothing but tea happened at the tea break. I was the umpire at that game. On advisement from the senior umpires only one player is on a charge for an incident that happened on field and goes to the tribunal tonight (Thursday).
If you want to discuss/find out what actually happened PM me. I am not going to go in to it on a public forum.

Only heard about the B grade incident today. I was told that both captains and a player from each side were reported. The other incident which legend is referring to is that supposedly a PINT and Palmerston player had a confrontation at the tea break on the first day of the A grade match.

seeing as your an umpire you weren't officiating the b grade match between pints and tv by any chance? i hear tv are spitting chips because hodgson wasn't available for the round, no team sheets were given to the umpires and hodgson has been pencilled into the side as being available for the second week. .
I am as a matter of fact. I was unaware of this, thanks for bringing it to my attention. At least now I know I might be walking into a shit fight.

As a side note what do you guys think of the split 2day game with the show smack bang in the middle? I am not a fan.

[edit] have spoken to senior umpires, "it is the captains responsibility to get and handover teamsheets to each other"

Round 10 - Saturday 2nd & 9th July
PINT defeated Tracy Village at Marrara
Palmerston 7 for 344 defeated Darwin 104 & 184 at Woodroffe Oval
Nightcliff 173 & 4 for 123 defeated by Southern Districts 225 & 5 for 141 dec at Nightcliff Oval
Waratah - Bye

Ladder - Points - Matches to come
1. Palmerston - 65 - Bye, Waratah, Nightcliff & Southern Districts
2. Tracy Village - 41 - Waratah, Darwin, Southern Districts & Bye
3. Waratah - 36 - Tracy Village, Palmerston, PINT & Nightcliff
4. PINT - 35 - Nightcliff, Southern Districts, Waratah & Darwin
5. Nightcliff - 31 - PINT, Bye, Palmerston & Waratah
6. Darwin - 29 - Southern Districts, Tracy Village, Bye & PINT
7. Southern District - 26 - Darwin, PINT, Tracy Village & Palmerston

*Points are estimates only.

TV losing to PINT has made the ladder much tighter. Palmerston have sealed a finals berth with their outright of Darwin. Nightcliff, Darwin and Districts are all in must win matches, with their season all but over with a loss this round. The ladder is still wide open and the final four will likely come down to the last match of the season.

Nightcliff bent the rules in their last game, as Devoy and Ayres went home mid-way through a match, they had two B graders come up and take their spots.

Nightcliff bent the rules in their last game, as Devoy and Ayres went home mid-way through a match, they had two B graders come up and take their spots.

Be careful with what you say - especially ensure you get your facts right first. If you actually read the RULES, you will see that NCC have not bent any rules. Devoy and Ayres have not returned home, but are away on representative duties.

Also, something similar happened in the Districts / NCC B grade game as what was reported on here with the TV / PINTS game when one T.Pemble was named in B' Grade after a "late" scratching in the team-list.

Be careful with what you say - especially ensure you get your facts right first. If you actually read the RULES, you will see that NCC have not bent any rules. Devoy and Ayres have not returned home, but are away on representative duties.

The rules were bent. The squad is comprised of 27 cricketers from ACT, QLD, TAS and NSW. It's a development squad not a representative side, they've chosen a tour of Indian rather than remaining in Darwin for the rest of the season.

Nightcliff were able to do that as stated in DDCA rules, however word is they tried to bend them a little by keeping it quiet and weren't going to name the players coming up from B's to A's, leaving their choices open in the second week.

Round 11 - Saturday 16th & 30th July
Darwin vs Southern Districts at Kahlin Oval
PINT vs Nightcliff at Marrara
Waratah vs Tracy Village at Gardens Oval
Palmerston - Bye

Darwin and Districts both need a big win to stay in touch with the top four. PINT can give themselves a little bit of leeway if they knock over Nightcliff, while Tahs could potential drop out of the four if they lose to TV. Darwin have Tom Brinsley back, while Nightcliff are expecting Devoy and Ayres back for the second half of the PINT match. All pretty even money matches with season on the line for a couple of clubs.

...word is they tried to bend them a little by keeping it quiet and weren't going to name the players coming up from B's to A's, leaving their choices open in the second week.

That's bullshit.
The corect wording was not communicated to NCC after numerous attempts from the committee. It was the dev squad coach that raised the possibility of enacting the replacement rule and took it to the DDCA mainly in the interests of Ayre and Devoy was a beneficiary. The alternative was he/they would miss round 10 and 11 then wait till after NCC's bye in rnd 12. The DDCA considered the trip to be representative (they had to go at the request of the ACTCA) and so it was passed.
NCC were asking from Thursday to Saturday morning for clarification on how to work with this rule but heard nothing. Very dissapointing given SDCC captian was able to have a 1hr conversation on Friday morning with the powers that be and so it was he that told NCC what was right and what wasn't.
The sub rule was made even more difficult due to one player having to pull out for personal reasons 15mins before the toss. One of the original subs had to play the whole game and the other sub was found to not fit the ruling. NCC had to find two subs on the spot and had about an hour to determine the B's and two C grade teams.
NCC received a clear email on the Monday following day 1 which ment NCC finally knew what role the sub players would have on day 2. This affected all 4 Saturday teams and a very difficult situation to deal with without any communication from DDCA. Decisions were made on the spot due to NCC not knowing the correct interpretation with one player selected simply because he was at the ground and the other because he could play the earlier time. The options were not unlimited by any stretch of the imagination.
Any thought of bending rules, hiding our intentions or somehow playing outside the spirit of the competition is offensive as I have played many games for NCC and know first hand that that is not the Nightcliff way. In fact most clubs in the competition would never think of behaving in such a way. Unfortunatley a club or two could have a few fingers pointed at them over their history but not I cannot accept Nightcliff would be one of them.

Fair enough then. I did hear however that they had to pay their own way to be on this tour and from the way it is being reported that it was optional.

Round 11 - Saturday 16th & 30th July
Darwin 0 for 5 vs Southern Districts 317 at Kahlin Oval
PINT 300 vs Nightcliff 1 for 22 at Marrara
Waratah 0 for 53 vs Tracy Village 260 at Gardens Oval
Palmerston - Bye

Most games are pretty even but PINT, Districts and Tahs should back themselves into win from their current position. I wouldn't be surprised if TV try to get something going for the secound innings with Tahs, but considering how the ladder is panning out, either side will take a win at this stage. No stand out innings to report, Fawcett took 7 for 68 against Districts and would have to be favourite to take out the PotY.

Ladder - Points - Matches to come
1. Palmerston - 65 - Bye, Waratah, Nightcliff & Southern Districts
2. Tracy Village - 44 - Waratah, Darwin, Southern Districts & Bye
3. Waratah - 39 - Tracy Village, Palmerston, PINT & Nightcliff
4. PINT - 38 - Nightcliff, Southern Districts, Waratah & Darwin
5. Nightcliff - 33 - PINT, Bye, Palmerston & Waratah
6. Darwin - 31 - Southern Districts, Tracy Village, Bye & PINT
7. Southern District - 29 - Darwin, PINT, Tracy Village & Palmerston

*In play.

I did hear however that they had to pay their own way to be on this tour and from the way it is being reported that it was optional.

I believe the trip has been organised by sponsor Nupower who had some say in who got picked. From those discussions the ACTCA commented that for the association to get something out of the trip, they wanted to ensure a few players travelled. Two of those players were Ayre and Devoy.

I am not aware of the expense distribution but the two players in question were expected to be on this trip. Should leave a sour taste in ones mouth to be told you need to go and by the way here is the bill. Small associations have a history of doing this but at the same time this is an opportunity of a lifetime and not one to turn down.

Surely people understand that the DDCA decided in favour of the replacement rule as encouraging greater participation in the competition and not penalising players and clubs in the competition due to decisions that are out of their control. Particularly in relation to the club which enlists the player in good faith.

Awesome news that the Calder Shield is being re-introduced;

http://www.ntcricket.com.au/MR_Calder_Shield_2011.pdf

Though this makes me laugh;

The program will be a Tri Series of 50 over games between two Top End teams- one comprising
players from Tracy Village, Waratahs and Darwin and the other comprising players from Katherine,
Southern Districts, Palmerston and Pint, and an Alice Springs and Barkley Region team comprising
players from Rovers, West, Federals, RSL Works, Tennant Creek and Ayers Rock.

Understandably NCC won't be involved.

Surely people understand that the DDCA decided in favour of the replacement rule as encouraging greater participation in the competition and not penalising players and clubs in the competition due to decisions that are out of their control. Particularly in relation to the club which enlists the player in good faith.

I've got no problem with the rule, it should be available in general because of amount of players available one week and not the next. However the definition I read it in is that a representative team equals a State or National team and in my opinion that is how it should be interpreted as. Probably something that can be discussed at the next Presidents Meeting.

Back