DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

serg fernandez;377055 said:
Almost half way into the season. What are your predictions for the finals and who is going to get relegated. Are you suprised/shocked by results so far ? Who have been the improvers, and who have been the disappointments of the season so far.

Obviously, Macleod have been the biggest improvers so far, but have some tough games coming up. I think Lower Eltham and Research have been the big disappointments. North Eltham to get relugated and the finals to consist of Plenty, Epping, Bundoora, and a tussle between Riverside/Macleod/Diamond Creek for last spot.
Some big games this week should shape the top 4 somewhat.

Oh here we go again, out come all the NEW 12yo's telling us all why they are a better club than Eltham and they will smash us and stay up and we will go down!

Tongs;377059 said:
Oh here we go again, out come all the NEW 12yo's telling us all why they are a better club than Eltham and they will smash us and stay up and we will go down!

Why wouldn't your club or their club use it as ammunition? Why does each post have to be dissected and investigated. serg is a Macleod supporter and obviously believes the NEW will be relegated. I am a Lalor man and couldn't give a flying fruitfly who comes 1st or last, as long as we are not the latter. What it will produce is a grudge match come round 7. I would suggest that the bottom 4 teams look out.

The Wizz;377058 said:
1 Macleod
2 Diamond Creek
3 Bundoora
4 Plenty
5 Epping
6 Riverside
7 Mernda
8 Lalor Stars

9 Research
10 Lower Eltham
11 Eltham
12 North Eltham Wanderers

Thats how the ladder stands at the moment, feel free to give us your thoughts.

Any of the top 8 could make it or miss out at this stage.

100% BULL;377067 said:
Any of the top 8 could make it or miss out at this stage.

1 Macleod
2 Diamond Creek
3 Bundoora
4 Plenty
5 Epping
6 Riverside
7 Mernda
8 Lalor Stars
9 Research
10 Lower Eltham
11 Eltham
12 North Eltham Wanderers

Probably just a coincidence but these 4 clubs are within a 5km radius. Is this just an abberation of form, or is Main rd not the breeding barn it once was?

cold case;377074 said:
Probably just a coincidence but these 4 clubs are within a 5km radius. Is this just an abberation of form, or is Main rd not the breeding barn it once was?

You are spot on big fella, these areas are an "Older Generation" now, they don't have the kids that once were! But in saying that, we have MASSIVE numbers in the junior teams, as do NEW. So although we may not be a force at the moment. Watch out for these two clubs in 5-10 years.

Personally I believe Plenty are the team to beat at the moment, and would be my flag favourites. I will hang the old fella on the line and say MacLeod won't play finals (big call) and I think NEW will go back down.

Tongs;377091 said:
You are spot on big fella, these areas are an "Older Generation" now, they don't have the kids that once were! But in saying that, we have MASSIVE numbers in the junior teams, as do NEW. So although we may not be a force at the moment. Watch out for these two clubs in 5-10 years.

Personally I believe Plenty are the team to beat at the moment, and would be my flag favourites. I will hang the old fella on the line and say MacLeod won't play finals (big call) and I think NEW will go back down.

Plenty are travelling along nicely. Epping always seem to be a walk up start to finals. Jeff Ahmet to return in the immediate future aswell. Looking at Macleods run they have:
Rnd:
6 v Riverside (A)
7 v Lower Eltham (H)
8 v Research (A)
9 v Mernda (H)
10 v Plenty (A)
11 v Epping (H)

I reckon a minimum of 42 points will be needed or 7 wins. Maybe even more.
They have a fantastic percentage, so 3 more wins may secure a spot. Not too many Lay Down Misere's in there though!

cold case;377092 said:
Plenty are travelling along nicely. Epping always seem to be a walk up start to finals. Jeff Ahmet to return in the immediate future aswell. Looking at Macleods run they have:
Rnd:
6 v Riverside (A)
7 v Lower Eltham (H)
8 v Research (A)
9 v Mernda (H)
10 v Plenty (A)
11 v Epping (H)

I reckon a minimum of 42 points will be needed or 7 wins. Maybe even more.
They have a fantastic percentage, so 3 more wins may secure a spot. Not too many Lay Down Misere's in there though!

Any of those games could go either way, in saying that, Macleod's record at home is pretty good since entering Barclay. I think they have only lost at home once.

COMP TEAM

Scott Gibbs (Capt; RV)
David Love (VC; PY)
Justin Whitcher (LE)
Paul Baker (ME)
Luke Rosbrook (PY)
Claudio Angelucci (EP)
Brett Glynn (DC)
Ashley Wood (MC)
Robert Wise (MC)
Jason Berthet (SF)
Greg Duggin (SF)
Simon Salpigtidis (RV)

Looks pretty good on paper and seems most blokes who have performed THIS season have been rewarded.

A few observations, Surely a team should be picked from your top grade, nothing against the two guys from St Francis, i take it they have been playing some good cricket, just not sure how that stacks up against guys playing some good cricket in Barclay.

Also not sure Loveys recent form is enough to warrant selection but he has been a big supporter of the comp games in the past so can understand that Scotty Gibbs would want him out there with him. Has an intimate knowledge of most of the guys in the hdca team so that may prove invaluable. Also capable of a match winning innings so prepared to back the selectors on that front.

From my clubs point of view I know Wayne Wunhym was asked but was unable to play and i thought that Shupinder TAGGAR'S (sonny) form warranted a very close look by selectors.

Bowling looks terrific and although Duggin is an allrounder, not sure he'd bowl before Rosbrook, Baker, Gibbs, Glynn, Wise or Claudio!!

Good luck to the HDCA batsman, i'm tipping if they bat first the game will be over before 2pm!

Not sure about others, but i'd much prefer to watch a Barclay V Money game than play against another comp.

Thoughts?

100% agree about the SF boys. Good players, and deserve selection in a Money Shield side. But I don't agree with them getting into the side. The side should be picked based on players in the top grade. Its like having a VFL player being picked in the All Australian team. Rubbish!

I would like to see a compulsory 2 players picked that are under 25. 1 batsman and 1 bowler. This would promote the youth of the comp and allow them to play with the "Big Boys" of the comp and get invaluable experience. It would also be great to see fresh names within the team rather than the same old players year in year out.

I really like the idea of the Barclay Shield Boys v Money Shield Boys.

A game between Barclay shield teams merged. For example one side of plenty road v the other side of plenty road. Would be good to raise some money in a charity match. gold coin entry kind of thing.

COMP TEAM

Scott Gibbs (Capt; RV)
Simon Salpigtidis (RV)
Justin Whitcher (LE)
Jason Berthet (SF)
David Love (VC; PY)
Greg Duggin (SF)
Ashley Wood (MC)
Robert Wise (MC)
Paul Baker (ME)
Brett Glynn (DC)
Luke Rosbrook (PY)
Claudio Angelucci (EP)

2nd X1
Rob Fletcher
Mark Minney (c)
Anthony Volpe
Glenn Turner - 5 overs
Wayne Wunhym
Glenn Drummond
Sonny Tagger - 5
Jarrod Curtis - 10
Tom Maclean - wk
Phil Hurst(vc) - 10
Corey Hurst - 10
Chris Salvatore - 10

Salvo not to bat. Fletcher not to field! :D

Must have an opener who can thrash the ball and the other, if need be, bat the majority of the innings. One more grafter middle order if a collapse occurs. I cant remember if they are 40 or 50 over matches. Would consider Callum Stihl if 50 overs. The Hursts are the best bowling partnership by miles in the comp and all the other batsmen have made big scores. They all have the capacity to push on with the scoring rate. A reasonable fielding side also.

Tongs;377300 said:
100% agree about the SF boys. Good players, and deserve selection in a Money Shield side. But I don't agree with them getting into the side. The side should be picked based on players in the top grade. Its like having a VFL player being picked in the All Australian team. Rubbish!

I would like to see a compulsory 2 players picked that are under 25. 1 batsman and 1 bowler. This would promote the youth of the comp and allow them to play with the "Big Boys" of the comp and get invaluable experience. It would also be great to see fresh names within the team rather than the same old players year in year out.

I really like the idea of the Barclay Shield Boys v Money Shield Boys.

A game between Barclay shield teams merged. For example one side of plenty road v the other side of plenty road. Would be good to raise some money in a charity match. gold coin entry kind of thing.

Do you read what you write "VFL player being picked in the All Australian team", maybe not that great a comparision!

The term big boys get's thrown around on this forum like they pick the state team out of Barclay shield, please ask guys like Gibbs, Love, Rosebrook and the others what Big Boy cricket is like at premier level, sure there are some highly skilled local cricketers, but the level of commitment is maybe a fifth if that, of what the real big boy's have to have.

and having a Barclay V Money game, if you think that the HDCA game will be over by 2pm, then what hope do us mere mortals have.

plenty road game is different and i'm sure that people would get behind it, money to a chosen charity good idea, we could call it the Bluebloods V The Working class.

I think with the inclusion of Camera and Greensborough and Lower coming down it has shown the Money teams that you have to play two days of cricket and not just have patches of brilliance to win a game i believe going forward this will aid in the side going up to Barclay.

one shot;377434 said:
Do you read what you write "VFL player being picked in the All Australian team", maybe not that great a comparision!

The term big boys get's thrown around on this forum like they pick the state team out of Barclay shield, please ask guys like Gibbs, Love, Rosebrook and the others what Big Boy cricket is like at premier level, sure there are some highly skilled local cricketers, but the level of commitment is maybe a fifth if that, of what the real big boy's have to have.

and having a Barclay V Money game, if you think that the HDCA game will be over by 2pm, then what hope do us mere mortals have.

plenty road game is different and i'm sure that people would get behind it, money to a chosen charity good idea, we could call it the Bluebloods V The Working class.

I think with the inclusion of Camera and Greensborough and Lower coming down it has shown the Money teams that you have to play two days of cricket and not just have patches of brilliance to win a game i believe going forward this will aid in the side going up to Barclay.

Its a 2nd Division player playing in a side that should be picked from 1st Division players only. Do 2nd division DVFL (NFL) players get a game in the comp game? NO, they have their own side!

I use the term big boys, as that is exactly what they are in THIS comp! I put the post on the DVCA thread, not the district thread, so fair enough to put it on.

As for the HDCA game being over by 2pm, that wasn't me, get your facts right! I only said Barclay v Money players as an entertainment/charity aspect! I would still like to see the comp game stay!

I think with the inclusion of Camera and Greensborough and Lower coming down it has shown the Money teams that you have to play two days of cricket and not just have patches of brilliance to win a game i believe going forward this will aid in the side going up to Barclay.[/QUOTE]

Very good point there and I think this was the point Tongs was trying to make with his term of big boys that in BS you have to play 2 good days of cricket and patches of brillance will only keep you in the game for a while not win many games. You see these guys that come up and swipe across the line no matter what the state of play, I believe this is down to teammates patting them on the back for a fifty when most of the runs have been scored from slogs in previous years. These guys can't play many proper shots and get found out pretty quickly with tight maiden bowling.

Vilos;377476 said:
Very good point there and I think this was the point Tongs was trying to make with his term of big boys that in BS you have to play 2 good days of cricket and patches of brillance will only keep you in the game for a while not win many games. You see these guys that come up and swipe across the line no matter what the state of play, I believe this is down to teammates patting them on the back for a fifty when most of the runs have been scored from slogs in previous years. These guys can't play many proper shots and get found out pretty quickly with tight maiden bowling.

Lalor Stars are playing patchy cricket at the moment. Last game we were outplayed in 3 of the 4 sessions but only got beat by 17 runs due to some unbelievable batting by Glenn Drummond. The 2 games previous we won but again only won 1 to maybe 1 and a half sessions over the entire game. Lucky to be 2 from 5 probably but a little more consistancy that is needed at this level and we may have been 4 and 1.

Interesting perspective Vilos, personally i think that there is more to the game of cricket than just bowling outside off stump , waiting for the batsman to make a mistake.

Good bats can play a defensive shot and pick the gap for 1 run. Bowling the same line and length makes the bowler too predictable but that conservative game plan if done well will increase you chances of playing finals.
My opinion is that once in the finals the team that plays an aggressive style with the bat and ball will generally win.

South Africa is a perfect example, they make the finals but cannot win the big one.

spinnersclub;377479 said:
South Africa is a perfect example, they make the finals but cannot win the big one.

Largely due to Jacques Kallis. Kallis defianately has one of the great records in test cricket but to step the run rate up according to the game situation was definately not his strong point.

I agree cc , the point is that if a bowler is bowling tight you still should be able to get 2 to 3 runs an over without risk.

The batsman that get found out are the ones that cannot pick the gaps in the field , its an art in cricket which is very underrated.

spinnersclub;377479 said:
Interesting perspective Vilos, personally i think that there is more to the game of cricket than just bowling outside off stump , waiting for the batsman to make a mistake.

Good bats can play a defensive shot and pick the gap for 1 run. Bowling the same line and length makes the bowler too predictable but that conservative game plan if done well will increase you chances of playing finals.
My opinion is that once in the finals the team that plays an aggressive style with the bat and ball will generally win.

Don't agree! You could be the best bat in the world, but if you bowl a foot outside off and stack the field, how are you going to score. It's boring cricket at times, but very mentally draining on the batsmen waiting for his ball. Therefore inventing shots, creating mistakes.

Im with Vilos! The sides from MS of the past have come up and straight back down due to playing hit and giggle cricket at times. There have been many sides who haven't Epping Lalor etc (still do a bit) Yet they are starting to learn about how crikcet has to be played to not only get up into BS, but stay there.

As for that style of game not winning finals, its the teams that bowl the tightest that usually win finals! Tight bowling creates more pressure than what the batsmen is already under playing finals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back