DVCA Barclay Shield 2010/11

Re: DVCA Barclay Shield 2010/11

Opener2;408856 said:
Probably the first time you have shown even the slightest hint of humility 'Vilos'... Saturday night they were ripping dipping Peter Taylor's!

Didn't know taylor was a mid 20 balding ranga, or is he banking on his nightwatchmen skills?

sam_j_adams;409089 said:
So, do we play next Saturday, or defer to teh Sunday or reschedule to later in the season ? Plenty of head scratching and tough decisions to be made by the old fuddy-duddies on the administration !

Surely they make round 1 a one day game, but it is the dvca we are talking about.

More important things, do they put Turnball Stakes Day on Sunday?

Vilos;408151 said:
This is why I like you Quinny one of those rare gifted sportsman were his sledging talent far outweighs any ability he has on the field in any sport.

Very Sharp work

riversidestrangler;408065 said:
The 4 piece ball still swings. I rate the swing from a 4 piece more dangerous. Ask yourself this question, how wide is a bat? How much do u need the ball to move to take the batsmans edge or beat the bat, hit the pad or bowl someone? A few cm's is more than enough. In most cases the ball will swing late in the delivery making it harder for the batsman to read and adjust his shot accordingly. As opposed to a two piece swinging from the hand IMO.
Reverse swing can not be inderestimated either, provided you have someone who knows how to prepare the ball so it reverse swings. Worth every club doing some research on this one.
That said I am sure you will see some big scores when this doesn't occur and bowlers get their lines wrong.

The way your talking pal, it looks like Riverside have signed Sachin and Brian in one player. I hope you can back up your mouth pal, because we have seen many of them over the years and they don't last too long.

The430king;409097 said:
The way your talking pal, it looks like Riverside have signed Sachin and Brian in one player. I hope you can back up your mouth pal, because we have seen many of them over the years and they don't last too long.

mate talking about swing and its just an opinion. that's what IMO stands for. in my opinion, just in case u didn't know . don't think brian or sachin bowl much. pretty sure the don't live anywhere near melbourne either

Just on the last few posts:

* Sachin does bowl strangler, do you not know anything about cricket?
* Would be handy pick ups agreed. Surely Bundoora or Lalor would end up with them!
* CC was he reading the DVCA cricket umpiring rule book at the same time?
* If the game is moved to sunday its a joke. A grade starting with 2 sunday games is stupid. Not even Bundoora....i mean the executive would do that. Should be cancelled this week, and play a one day game the next week.

Nothing will change, maybe that moron that runs the AFL could have used some thought and used this as an opportunity to have a twilight match.

CowCorner;409155 said:
Nothing will change, maybe that moron that runs the AFL could have used some thought and used this as an opportunity to have a twilight match.

No point playing cricket next week! Can see players pulling out left,right and centre in order to watch the GF replay. How many blokes are going to want to play Sunday after being on the turps all day Saturday?

CowCorner;409155 said:
Couldn't agree more CC

Tongs;409152 said:
Just on the last few posts:

* Sachin does bowl strangler, do you not know anything about cricket?
* Would be handy pick ups agreed. Surely Bundoora or Lalor would end up with them!
* CC was he reading the DVCA cricket umpiring rule book at the same time?
* If the game is moved to sunday its a joke. A grade starting with 2 sunday games is stupid. Not even Bundoora....i mean the executive would do that. Should be cancelled this week, and play a one day game the next week.

If your not happy with the way the competition is run, either go somewhere else or put your hand up and get your club to nominate you for a position, i will second it.

Your reference to Bundoora is well founded, we have had Paul Reid & Mark Maxwell graduate from executive positions within our club to both be president of our association. If you reckon the comp isn't very well administered you are kidding yourself. I also think it shows why we, Bundoora, as a club have been very successful OFF FIELD for a long period of time. We have people prepared to put in the hard yards rather than knock people for having a crack.

While i don't agree with every decision the executive make, i'm intelligent enough to realise that the clubs, yours included ( and you being a member of your committee ) vote these people in, usually without a challenger because there are no other takers to do the job. I can tell you that Tool would be more than happy to stand aside if someone else was prepared to do the job, the fact is nobody else wants it.

As for this week, there are two options being considered

Sunday/Saturday or One day match on the 9th.

The executive will let clubs know tonight.

brutal;409166 said:
No point playing cricket next week! Can see players pulling out left,right and centre in order to watch the GF replay. How many blokes are going to want to play Sunday after being on the turps all day Saturday?
Executive meeting at 6pm to decide.

Mail has it that :
1) All juniors are cancelled.
2) All grades B grade and below to play one day game next Saturday.
3) Barclay & Money Shield to play Sunday / Saturday.

Point 3 is to be decided tonight. Potential good revenue raiser for the home teams, with the rest of the club able to watch.
Prefer all one day games next week though.

THE PREZ;409259 said:

Mail has it that :

Point 3 is to be decided tonight. Potential good revenue raiser for the home teams, with the rest of the club able to watch.

Terrible reward for being good enough to get picked!

Nothing wrong with one-day cricket. At the end of the day, any cricket we play in this comp is limited overs cricket and it's proven to be VERY rare for outright victories in the top grades so that can hardly be used as an excuse for wanting to play Sunday/Saturday.

Hopefully common sense prevails, there have been a few good decisions made by the comp lately, fingers crossed they keep that trend going!

THE PREZ;409259 said:

Mail has it that :

I agree with THE PREZ all grades should play one-dayers next week.

i know i don't want to play the day after the GF, especially if i've had a few coldies the day before.

THE PREZ;409259 said:

Mail has it that :

I agree with THE PREZ all grades should play one-dayers next week.

I know i don't want to play the day after the GF, especially if i've had a few coldies the day before.

Don't make exceptions just because Money & Barclay have a 2-day game.

Bundoora;409232 said:
If your not happy with the way the competition is run, either go somewhere else or put your hand up and get your club to nominate you for a position, i will second it.

Your reference to Bundoora is well founded, we have had Paul Reid & Mark Maxwell graduate from executive positions within our club to both be president of our association. If you reckon the comp isn't very well administered you are kidding yourself. I also think it shows why we, Bundoora, as a club have been very successful OFF FIELD for a long period of time. We have people prepared to put in the hard yards rather than knock people for having a crack.

While i don't agree with every decision the executive make, i'm intelligent enough to realise that the clubs, yours included ( and you being a member of your committee ) vote these people in, usually without a challenger because there are no other takers to do the job. I can tell you that Tool would be more than happy to stand aside if someone else was prepared to do the job, the fact is nobody else wants it.

As for this week, there are two options being considered

Sunday/Saturday or One day match on the 9th.

The executive will let clubs know tonight.

It was tongue in cheek, and you took it hook line and sinker! I agree that the blokes on the executive do a very good job, and one in which i would hate to do because of the backlash you will always be under (see Jeff Gieschen) no matter what you do.

My only concern is that if 11 clubs want a rule changed, for example this week (not saying that is the case) but the Executive don't want to change the rule then it won't be changed. What say do the clubs/players have?? After all, they are the ones playing!

Don't agree with the Sunday/Saturday idea at all! The DVCA has a duty of care to protect all players and clubs. After the biggest alcohol consumption day/night in Australia, players are meant to front up and play cricket the next day. A lot of people do it every week (see CowCorner) but others don't and i think it would be a smarter option to give clubs the opportunity to play a one day game for the POTENTIAL protection!. There is nothing wrong with them!

I have heard through the grapevine that most clubs are saying pull the pin, yet the executive want to play. Will be an interesting outcome tonight!

Back