DVCA: Barclay Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Barclay Shield

the_interloper;289598 said:
I believe you’re talking about Andrew McHugh, former Lower junior. Very good stylish bat, played at Northcote for years, played twos mainly and I believe he played subbies for a year or two until this year. Used to be a handy leggie as well but he can really bat, Brent was real impressed apparently.

I think that if you really dig back into time that this bloke may have originally been a Lower Eltham junior. May be wrong but could've even been a cousin of the Mithens.

another_ton;290203 said:
Is it true Riverside were forced to play on an unsafe pitch on Saturday. Poor form by umpires and opposition to make this happen. Its a shame they couldn't get the runs, a couple of truly dodgy decisions too by all reports.

I don't think this is correct, nobody was forced to play. As for the dodgy decisions, they were made by the batsman, not sure what Gibbsy was thinking and Elksy's shot wasn't to flash given the circumstances. They were in a good position and let it slip.

My understanding is that the Riverside captain was given the choice and chose to play, probably because they need to get six points, not three. From what I saw the pitch had no impact.

Gibbsy is a bigcricket reader, I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

100% BULL;290209 said:
I don't think this is correct, nobody was forced to play. As for the dodgy decisions, they were made by the batsman, not sure what Gibbsy was thinking and Elksy's shot wasn't to flash given the circumstances. They were in a good position and let it slip.

My understanding is that the Riverside captain was given the choice and chose to play, probably because they need to get six points, not three. From what I saw the pitch had no impact.

If what your saying is correct, Bundoora are starting to get the wood over their old rivals. I'm sure they would've enjoyed finishing their season, whether it be fair or not.

Is it true Riverside were forced to play on an unsafe pitch on Saturday. Poor form by umpires and opposition to make this happen. Its a shame they couldn't get the runs, a couple of truly dodgy decisions too by all reports.

another_ton;290211 said:
If what your saying is correct, Bundoora are starting to get the wood over their old rivals. I'm sure they would've enjoyed finishing their season, whether it be fair or not.

As I said earlier I'll stand corrected by Gibbsy or another one of the Clappers 'A' grade team as I wasn't playing, just a (happy) spectator.

I must say there is nothing better than beating the Clappers, and you are right it's something that we've done a bit of over recent years. To finish their season was a bonus. This year we've knocked them off in A, B & C.

Go Bulls!

another_ton;290203 said:

Not true.

The decision was entirely ours, and we chose to play. The pitch played no part in any of the dismissals, we just played some ordinary shots.

another_ton;290203 said:

Bubble Wrap;290219 said:
Not true.

The decision was entirely ours, and we chose to play. The pitch played no part in any of the dismissals, we just played some ordinary shots.

That's a shame then, thought I was giving you a much needed excuse.

100% BULL;290209 said:

another_ton;290203 said:

any reason you tend to only talk about our games?

The pitch was burnt on friday night short of a good length just outside the line of off stump ( for a right hander ). the decision to play was left up to Scott & his players, i would not have had an issue if they refused to play. A decision was made to play & at any stage if the umpires thought it was unsafe, they could call the game off, regardless wethere we had them 9/80 or they were 4/170.
as it happened the "burn" had no impact other than it was probably in the back of the batsmans mind when batting up that end.

As for dodgy decisions, there were a few blues made , in my opinion, but they had no influence on the result.

another_ton;290211 said:

As I said earlier I'll stand corrected by Gibbsy or another one of the Clappers 'A' grade team as I wasn't playing, just a (happy) spectator.

I must say there is nothing better than beating the Clappers, and you are right it's something that we've done a bit of over recent years. To finish their season was a bonus. This year we've knocked them off in A, B & C.

Go Bulls!

100% BULL;289641 said:
I'm sure Brent was also impressed with cheesey as well, DVCA runs are the only currency in the DVCA. I hope he does well, its good to see LP going well, they took a big hit a few years ago and have bounced back stronger.

So you wouldn't take First Class runs into account when recruiting a player to a DV club? Fair enough he hasn't made a heap of runs (yet, there's still a few games left) but i'd think any club in the DV would have jumped at the chance to recruit a former state opener.

another_ton;290203 said:

Not true.

We are now past the half way mark of the season, and the ladder is startin to get some real shape about it. How do we all see it shaping up so far? With a quick look at the remaining matches this is what I have come up with.
1.Epping 51
2.Lower Eltham 51
3.Mernda 46
4.Plenty 45
5.Bundoora 39
6.Lalor Stars 36
7.Diamond Creek 33
8.Lower Plenty 33
9.Research 27
10.Riverside 21
11.Eltham 9
12.Macleod 9

Bubble Wrap;290219 said:
Not true.

That's a shame then, thought I was giving you a much needed excuse.

EPPING vs research - epping to strong on home turf
PLENTY vs l/stars - plenty lose this and there season is gone
macleod vs L/PLENTY - lower to easily beat macleod
l/eltham vs BUNDOORA - this will be a great game and i will go with bunddora due to the bowling strengths and that lower are due for a loss.

RIVERSIDE vs mernda - picking riverside as my smokie for the week
eltham vs D/CREEK - d/creek should account for etham .

another_ton;290203 said:

any reason you tend to only talk about our games?

The pitch was burnt on friday night short of a good length just outside the line of off stump ( for a right hander ). the decision to play was left up to Scott & his players, i would not have had an issue if they refused to play. A decision was made to play & at any stage if the umpires thought it was unsafe, they could call the game off, regardless wethere we had them 9/80 or they were 4/170.
as it happened the "burn" had no impact other than it was probably in the back of the batsmans mind when batting up that end.

As for dodgy decisions, there were a few blues made , in my opinion, but they had no influence on the result.

the swedish chef;291239 said:
l/eltham vs BUNDOORA - this will be a great game and i will go with bunddora due to the bowling strengths and that lower are due for a loss.

A couple of blokes have tipped Lower Eltham to get beaten over the last couple of weeks, on the basis that they're "due" to lose one...

They're playing good cricket at the moment, grinding out wins. Bundoora may have a strong bowling attack but you've got to look at who they're bowling against...Skipper Luke Poyser, perhaps the most technically gifted bat in the comp, is coming off a ton, Whitcher can dismantle any bowling attack in the competition and does so regularly and Curtis is an underrated but classy batsman who could bat at 4 or 5 for any team in the comp and hold his own. Then there's Callum Still, Justin "Keg" Poyser, Michael McCutcheon, Josh Sedgwick, all of whom can genuiniely bat.

They've got the in-form pace bowler of the comp in Chris Salvatore, ably supported by the evergreen and crafty Curtis, honest trundler Luke Burgoyne and the fiery Shane McCutcheon. Add to this mix the accurate tweakers of Callum Still (4/50 on the weekend including the wicket of Arnberger) and you have an even spread of batting and bowling depth. Tip against LECC at your peril.

100% BULL;289641 said:
I'm sure Brent was also impressed with cheesey as well, DVCA runs are the only currency in the DVCA. I hope he does well, its good to see LP going well, they took a big hit a few years ago and have bounced back stronger.

So you wouldn't take First Class runs into account when recruiting a player to a DV club? Fair enough he hasn't made a heap of runs (yet, there's still a few games left) but i'd think any club in the DV would have jumped at the chance to recruit a former state opener.

Otis;291269 said:
A couple of blokes have tipped Lower Eltham to get beaten over the last couple of weeks, on the basis that they're "due" to lose one...

They're playing good cricket at the moment, grinding out wins. Bundoora may have a strong bowling attack but you've got to look at who they're bowling against...Skipper Luke Poyser, perhaps the most technically gifted bat in the comp, is coming off a ton, Whitcher can dismantle any bowling attack in the competition and does so regularly and Curtis is an underrated but classy batsman who could bat at 4 or 5 for any team in the comp and hold his own. Then there's Callum Still, Justin "Keg" Poyser, Michael McCutcheon, Josh Sedgwick, all of whom can genuiniely bat.

They've got the in-form pace bowler of the comp in Chris Salvatore, ably supported by the evergreen and crafty Curtis, honest trundler Luke Burgoyne and the fiery Shane McCutcheon. Add to this mix the accurate tweakers of Callum Still (4/50 on the weekend including the wicket of Arnberger) and you have an even spread of batting and bowling depth. Tip against LECC at your peril.

I have to agree there, people are constantly writing L.E off

We are now past the half way mark of the season, and the ladder is startin to get some real shape about it. How do we all see it shaping up so far? With a quick look at the remaining matches this is what I have come up with.
1.Epping 51
2.Lower Eltham 51
3.Mernda 46
4.Plenty 45
5.Bundoora 39
6.Lalor Stars 36
7.Diamond Creek 33
8.Lower Plenty 33
9.Research 27
10.Riverside 21
11.Eltham 9
12.Macleod 9

dirt.ball;291276 said:

just because i have tipped against them does not mean i am writing them off for the year, yes they have a batting line up that is firing at the moment and salvatore has stepped up a notch but i also know all teams will go thru a game where nothing goes right .

Surely there will be one change to the almighty Lower Eltham team? They had a massive comeback on the weekend, one similar to the great Michael Jordan!

Chris Aloi, steps up without holding a bat in a while and smashes 60! Surely he will slot in nicely at 6?

the swedish chef;291239 said:

Tongs;291302 said:
Surely there will be one change to the almighty Lower Eltham team? They had a massive comeback on the weekend, one similar to the great Michael Jordan!

Chris Aloi, steps up without holding a bat in a while and smashes 60! Surely he will slot in nicely at 6?

Its typical Aloi, not play for a while, return with success and then live off that score for a couple of seasons.

Otis;291269 said:

Thumbs up;291309 said:
Its typical Aloi, not play for a while, return with success and then live off that score for a couple of seasons.

Not this time, he seems to be BIGGER and better than ever! Could be a smokey to get picked for the BS grand final!

dirt.ball;291276 said:

just because i have tipped against them does not mean i am writing them off for the year, yes they have a batting line up that is firing at the moment and salvatore has stepped up a notch but i also know all teams will go thru a game where nothing goes right .

Did Lower Finish out of the 4 last year?

What's peoples' thoughts on their improvement from now to last year? Who did they pick up besides Gunn?

As an outsider surely the reigning Premiers didn't lose players so they'd still think they would be favourites considering they also picked up a player?

Otis;291269 said:

we may as well not turn up, don't want to spoil xmas:D

Not sure wether in your excitement you had a brain freeze but seems to me you've left out last years comp batting avg winner!!

Tongs;291302 said:

Tongs;291302 said:

I might slot in nicely at 6 for H grade, which is what I played in on the weekend. Anyhow, lets keep this thread for Barclay Shield talk - you can bag me all you want in the C Grade and Below Thread...:D:D:D

Thumbs up;291309 said:

Not this time, he seems to be BIGGER and better than ever! Could be a smokey to get picked for the BS grand final!

Bundoora;291372 said:
we may as well not turn up, don't want to spoil xmas:D

Not sure wether in your excitement you had a brain freeze but seems to me you've left out last years comp batting avg winner!!

Well spotted - was waiting to see who the first to notice that omission was...:D was hoping he'd sneak under the Bulls' guard!

Good luck on the weekend mate....and don't forget about Conlan "The Machine" Gunn :p:p

Did Lower Finish out of the 4 last year?

What's peoples' thoughts on their improvement from now to last year? Who did they pick up besides Gunn?

As an outsider surely the reigning Premiers didn't lose players so they'd still think they would be favourites considering they also picked up a player?

Thumbs up;291309 said:

Please feel free to bag me in the C Grade and Below Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back